Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Who Starts at QB in Carolina? - Mallett

I hope that splitting reps thing isn't true. If so, then unfortunately I'll believe he needs to be fired until he proves otherwise.

Splitting reps in OTAs, may make sense...............doing it now.............schizophrenic

medical-wild_west-westerns-cowboy-threat-schizophrenic-awhn299_low.jpg

I still feel like this is gamesmanship with the coach in Carolina. Hoyer can handle being used as a diversionary tactic.

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 26m26 minutes ago

OB "As a head coach, you have 2 make best decision for the group and not how you feel personally. U have 2b honest with them up front."

OBrien said he plans to give Mallett a lot of time to take advantage of his opportunity but reserves the right to change his mind again.

OB "Oversleeping (and missing practice) in camp was a wake up call for him (Mallett). We're looking forward 2 seeing him play."

Why the hell does O'Brien say he will not name the starting QB until game time, then has a press conference naming the stater? WTF?!
Ryan Mallett will start at quarterback against the Panthers.

Bill O'Brien made the announcement during a Thursday press conference at NRG Stadium.

Brian Hoyer started in Week 1 against the Chiefs, but was relieved by Mallett with 6 minutes to go in the game. Mallett led the Texans on a pair of drives, which resulted in a touchdown and a field goal. "We're looking forward to seeing him play well," O'Brien said of Mallett.

The fifth-year signal caller out of Arkansas completed 8-of-13 passes for 98 yards against Kansas City.

"When Ryan went into the game, he added a spark to our team," O'Brien said. The head coach also said the move was "not an indictment" of Hoyer, and that the veteran has practiced well so far this week.

The Texans practice again on Friday, and will leave for Charlotte on Saturday.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...rterback/eecc42c0-2d36-4224-8f29-52b63046c1db

I'm not going to go overboard on this one or anything, but this has been a coaching debacle. OB has given himself a huge QB controversy at a time when the team is still in rebuilding mode and I think it has hurt us massively.

I can see the logic that if you can't get one guy in who you are confident with, you bring in 2 who can compete and hope one makes a leap, but the entire thing was handled poorly once we got into training camp without a #1.

This whole sorry story is a black mark against the coaches name, one which, in my eyes, he can overcome, but I think a huge section of the fanbase will throw him on the Smithiak-pink-soap-at-the-ready-can't-wait-to-see-you-fail pile for this one and it will haunt his tenure in the eyes of a lot of people.

I ALWAYS root for the Texans to win, but I can't help but wonder about the locker room dynamic now. This season is going to be an uphill struggle.

I just hope Mallett can bring a spark to the offence now, the team certainly need it!!

So far I haven't seen an ANNOUNCEMENT. I suspect he want everyone to "Let it rip, and go play __________," regardless of their position or depth.

Perhaps I just haven't seen it or perhaps some are concluding something from wishful thinking. It was the former although the video wasn't relevant to the story.

Why the hell does O'Brien say he will not name the starting QB until game time, then has a press conference naming the stater? WTF?!

Did he have a press conference for that specifically or was that his normal every day PC?

And he may as well talk about it, people could only keep their mouths shut for two days LOL

So far I haven't seen an ANNOUNCEMENT. I suspect he want everyone to "Let it rip, and go play __________," regardless of their position or depth.

Perhaps I just haven't seen it or perhaps some are concluding something from wishful thinking. It was the former although the video wasn't relevant to the story.

OBrien "Ryan is our starter against Carolina. I said all summer it was extremely close competition. Brian was most consistent in camp."

In O'Brien's defense, I think it very well could be that Mallett is a game-time QB, and Hoyer is a practice player. I think that during the actual game with actual live bullets, he saw indecisive Hoyer getting flustered and failing to correctly react and initiate the gameplan. I was at the game, and their was definitely some electricity when Mallet came in. After the first Hopkins pass the crowd and the team lit right up, and there was definitely Bill's energy and juice for the rest of the game.

Sure I think it would have been better if he made a different decision during training camp, but at least he was willing to take a bit of a beating to get the right QB on the field.

In O'Brien's defense, I think it very well could be that Mallett is a game-time QB, and Hoyer is a practice player. I think that during the actual game with actual live bullets, he saw indecisive Hoyer getting flustered and failing to correctly react and initiate the gameplan. I was at the game, and their was definitely some electricity when Mallet came in. After the first Hopkins pass the crowd and the team lit right up, and there was definitely Bill's energy and juice for the rest of the game.

Sure I think it would have been better if he made a different decision during training camp, but at least he was willing to take a bit of a beating to get the right QB on the field.
Hey all is forgiven for me as long as he sticks with Mallett and gives him a real shot and doesn't yank him the first sign of trouble. I fully expect Mallett to make some mistakes, some that may possibly cost us some games. Just as long as he learns from them and improves. If that happens, I agree and will give O'Brien all the credit he deserves.

OBrien "Ryan is our starter against Carolina. I said all summer it was extremely close competition. Brian was most consistent in camp."
I wonder if the video links got messed up. The video I saw was the post game followed by the Carolina game PR. I was anticipating the Thursday Press Conference.

Hey all is forgiven for me as long as he sticks with Mallett and gives him a real shot and doesn't yank him the first sign of trouble. I fully expect Mallett to make some mistakes, some that may possibly cost us some games. Just as long as he learns from them and improves. If that happens, I agree and will give O'Brien all the credit he deserves.

100% agree! Well said! I would rather go down with the ship with Mallett than to be lulled by Sirens with Hoyer.

To un-defend him a bit, this was all so predictable and had been seen before. Hoyer who looks great in practice trots onto the field and his game performance doesn't measure up. Then presumably OB saw exactly the opposite from Mallett last year in the same scenario - during the week in practice the smart consistent Fitz beats out Mallett...but then Mallett goes out in a game, bumps the team energy and plays beyond practice.

So if the practices were anything close at all, you go with the guy who elevates from practice not the one who fails outside the bubble.

Last edited:
Gosh it seems so long ago I watched Mallet play on loaded but underachieving Arkansas Razorback team. His problem then was consistency as it is now & I believe that is what O'Brian doesn't like.

Today was the loosest, "happiest" I think I've ever seen Ryan in interview. Was even playful with some media.

On Hoyer, "We're teammates, we've known each other like 5 years now... we were neighbors in New England. It's not like it's something new... It's a great relationship. It's a great QB room."​

Today was the loosest, "happiest" I think I've ever seen Ryan in interview. Was even playful with some media.

On Hoyer, "We're teammates, we've known each other like 5 years now... we were neighbors in New England. It's not like it's something new... It's a great relationship. It's a great QB room."​

That was from Monday or Sunday after the game.

I'm not going to go overboard on this one or anything, but this has been a coaching debacle. OB has given himself a huge QB controversy at a time when the team is still in rebuilding mode and I think it has hurt us massively.

Eh...... we've finally got a QB that actually won the job. It wasn't handed to him, he wasn't the coaches pal from way back when,

Eh...... we've finally got a QB that actually won the job. It wasn't handed to him, he wasn't the coaches pal from way back when,

Mallet has been handed the job in every sense of the word. I wouldn't exactly call standing on the sideline watching Fitz and Hoyer implode competing for and winning a job.

I don't care about any of this ****. I just want to see somebody get their **** together and be the QB who gets it done. If Hoyer had come out, taken care of the ball and thrown 2-3 TD's on his way to getting a win I'd be happy. That he didn't and we have an alternative who came in and played well makes me happy. Stealing a line from Mallett "All i want to do is win games".

Hopefully we start doing that Sunday. We can bicker back and forth all season long about how it gets done but I'm not judging anyone until I see a body of work that's a reasonable size.

Back