Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Who Starts at QB in Carolina? - Mallett

Marshall

Not pretty, but ALIVE!
This should be a brief one week thread and then discarded.

My guess is that Hoyer gets the nod simply because BOB told him he wasn't on a short leash and he meant it. But another start like today and Hoyer gets pulled at halftime.

The announcers pretty much said Mallett would start and I can't believe them, well, because their announcers.

I thought OB said Hoyer was on a short leash.

I'm thinking he starts next game but that's all he gets if he sucks again.

We trade (paying twice as much as for Mallett) for Cassel and he starts after a week in the Methodist practice bubble works it's Cushing hyperbaric chamber magic on his accuracy and consistency.

If he starts FitzHoyer, the fans are going to scream.
Billy is in a tough spot now. I was surprised but happy he put Mallet in the second half. But since he did and Mallet played relatively well (compared to the competition), it's gonna be very unpopular now if he now goes back to Hoyer as the starter in Carolina in a week. I mean it was already unpopular going with Hoyer, well like I said, Billy has put himself in a tough spot

maybe the rookie bum mumphry will start at qb.....about as qualified at qb as he is a kick/punt returner.

Billy is in a tough spot now. I was surprised but happy he put Mallet in the second half. But since he did and Mallet played relatively well (compared to the competition), it's gonna be very unpopular now if he now goes back to Hoyer as the starter in Carolina in a week. I mean it was already unpopular going with Hoyer, well like I said, Billy has put himself in a tough spot

Compared to the competition?

He looked solid peril, compared to Hoyer he looked like a first ballot hall of famer.

Mallet should
- played better coming in
- what's to lose to see what he has and if starts as good or better than Hoyer
- see whatcha got vs what you know you have

Hoyer should
- paid more to get him
- ummm.... more consistent in closed practices
- hmmm. Yeah, that's all I got

going off past Texans coaches, Hoyer starts. Please change this way of thinking O'B

That helps one aspect, but what about special teams......missed tackles......inability to cover the TE.....and speaking of TE did any of ours play?

Mallet: 110.4 passer rating
Hoyer: 72.7

No contest who it should be, but let's see how hard headed Bill is. He stuck with Shitzpatrick way too long last year.

The Chiefs knew Mallet would have to sling it and no threat of running the ball, and he still looked solid. Mallet gets the ball out immediately, he throws receivers open. Hoyer has to wait until they get open the. He lobs the ball.

Hoyer looks like a damn Roll On Deoderant sitting on the bench, he needs to stay there.

I really don't want to see Hoyer again after this. Looking at 2014 and what Fitzpatrick did we have to ask ourselves "Did Fitz have a game this bad right out of the gate?" I don't know if he did. He had Arian Foster which helped a lot and the Texans came out of the gate 2-0 (against Washington & Oakland so take that into account) but he looked bad for quite some time before he looked bad enough to pull. The Texans were 4-5 when Mallet got to start in Cleveland.

Start Hoyer next week and get more of this against Carolina and you have a guy who looks like ****, doesn't have Arian Foster to bail his butt out, and starts OB's second season out for him at 0-2, not 2-0.

I think he starts Mallet or puts Mallet in very soon if Hoyer fires up the suck machine from the get-go.

Bad QB play. We've been watching varying degrees of it pretty much since Albert Haynesworth crushed Matt Schaub's foot and ended his season in 2012. Yates, broken Matt Schaub, unready Case Keenum, Fitztragic, Mallet followed closely by broken Mallet, Improved Fitztragic then Savage and improved Case Keenum. Now we can add "That worthless **** Hoyer" to the list and we're back to Mallet.

I don't know if Mallet is Fool's Gold or not. I know I've seen him play in three different situations now. Starter with two weeks to prepare to play a bad team (Cleveland), Can't hit the broadside of a barn because his pectoral muscle is torn (Cincinnati), and now "Backup in relief playing a soft, almost prevent defense hard. I still don't know what I'm looking at. I just know one thing. If OB takes Mallet away again and drops that sack of **** Hoyer back under center keeping me (and all of us) from again getting a chance to clearly see what we have in Ryan Mallet I'm going to be furious.

I want the answer to be that Mallet is the guy but in the interest of just knowing whether to move on to the next guy (Savage or whoever follows him) or not I just want an answer and the only way we're going to get one is by playing him. Mallet seems to respond to that. He makes mistakes. He makes brilliant throws and terrible throws but I think (on limited information) that he's a competitor who seems to for better or worse perform when the stakes are real as opposed to practice.

I'd like to see enough of him to know.

I really don't want to see Hoyer again after this. Looking at 2014 and what Fitzpatrick did we have to ask ourselves "Did Fitz have a game this bad right out of the gate?" I don't know if he did. He had Arian Foster which helped a lot and the Texans came out of the gate 2-0 (against Washington & Oakland so take that into account) but he looked bad for quite some time before he looked bad enough to pull. The Texans were 4-5 when Mallet got to start in Cleveland.

Start Hoyer next week and get more of this against Carolina and you have a guy who looks like ****, doesn't have Arian Foster to bail his butt out, and starts OB's second season out for him at 0-2, not 2-0.

I think he starts Mallet or puts Mallet in very soon if Hoyer fires up the suck machine from the get-go.

Bad QB play. We've been watching varying degrees of it pretty much since Albert Haynesworth crushed Matt Schaub's foot and ended his season in 2012. Yates, broken Matt Schaub, unready Case Keenum, Fitztragic, Mallet followed closely by broken Mallet, Improved Fitztragic then Savage and improved Case Keenum. Now we can add "That worthless **** Hoyer" to the list and we're back to Mallet.

I don't know if Mallet is Fool's Gold or not. I know I've seen him play in three different situations now. Starter with two weeks to prepare to play a bad team (Cleveland), Can't hit the broadside of a barn because his pectoral muscle is torn (Cincinnati), and now "Backup in relief playing a soft, almost prevent defense hard. I still don't know what I'm looking at. I just know one thing. If OB takes Mallet away again and drops that sack of **** Hoyer back under center keeping me (and all of us) from again getting a chance to clearly see what we have in Ryan Mallet I'm going to be furious.

I want the answer to be that Mallet is the guy but in the interest of just knowing whether to move on to the next guy (Savage or whoever follows him) or not I just want an answer and the only way we're going to get one is by playing him. Mallet seems to respond to that. He makes mistakes. He makes brilliant throws and terrible throws but I think (on limited information) that he's a competitor who seems to for better or worse perform when the stakes are real as opposed to practice.

I'd like to see enough of him to know.

At least he zips the ball.

QB doesn't play ST or defense. One answer does not solve all.

We know QB doesnt play defense cause if he did he helped the other teams offense out way to much. 2 turnovers inside the 20, i mean come on that is def not helping the defense.

Those last 2 passes that Mallett threw at the end of the game looked hurried. But if Obrien doesn't give him a shot how the hell is he supposed to find a comfort zone. Obrien has been against him starting from the git go and thinks he is a genius just like Kubiak did and he can change a qb turd into Joe Montana. Hoyer is not any good and Obrien just doesnt want to let him go for some reason we dont know.

Very good NFL quarterbacks are in short supply right now. Who says we aren't playing with the best that's actually available? That's a scary thought though.

Most of you won't understand what I'm about to say. Brian Hoyer should get the start against Carolina.

I think O'Brien screwed up by starting Hoyer in the first place. But since he did, he's got to roll with it. Hoyer didn't look great. But I'm watching Peyton, Flacco, & Brees struggle as well. This is week 1 & these things happen. If I were O'Brien, the first thing I would do is admit Hoyer should have played with this team a lot more in the pre-season. Then I'm going to have to admit he is nowhere near as accurate in live games as he is in closed practice. Lastly, I've got to admit that I & the rest of the coaches got our asses handed to us, because my team was not prepared for this game in a NY form or fashion.

This doesn't mean that I believe Hoyer gives us the best chance of winning. I'm just trying to look at the situation through O'Brien eyes, as someone who chose Hoyer to start week 1. If I'm going to make the change, then I'm going to need to be extra sure by making sure I hold up my end of the deal & put Hoyer in position to succeed.

That said, I do recognize Hoyer fk'd up quit a bit on his own. He's got to own that. I'll hold him accountable for that. I'd tell him, "I left you in the game as long as I did, because a lot of what was going wrong, was my fault. But I eventually yanked your ass, because you were screwing up pretty good all on your own."

I'd tell Mallet he did a good job being ready to play. He needs to keep doing that. I wouldn't promise him that he'll get a chance to play next week, but he needs to be ready.

From where I sat, Hoyer put together a few good looking drives. I thought he looked as good as Mallet did in Cleveland at times. The goal is for him to put together more drives like that than not. But honestly, if I had started Mallet & our offense looked as bad as it did, is it totally unreasonable to think Hoyer couldn't provide a spark like Mallet did? He's done it before in this league, & like I said, he had a couple of drives that looked as good as Mallet's.

I also saw Hoyer look as pathetic as Mallet did against Cincinnati. Again, the goal is to see less & less of that guy.

So if I'm O'Brien & I think Hoyer is the more consistent of the two, he'll get the start. But I'm going to make extra sure to go that extra mile to make sure my offense is ready to support him. From the players to the play calls to the goal line packages, to the hot reads, the check with mes, everything.

But he needs to know I won't wait as long to pull him in a road game.

Most of you won't understand what I'm about to say. Brian Hoyer should get the start against Carolina.

I think O'Brien screwed up by starting Hoyer in the first place. But since he did, he's got to roll with it. Hoyer didn't look great. But I'm watching Peyton, Flacco, & Brees struggle as well. This is week 1 & these things happen. If I were O'Brien, the first thing I would do is admit Hoyer should have played with this team a lot more in the pre-season. Then I'm going to have to admit he is nowhere near as accurate in live games as he is in closed practice. Lastly, I've got to admit that I & the rest of the coaches got our asses handed to us, because my team was not prepared for this game in a NY form or fashion.

This doesn't mean that I believe Hoyer gives us the best chance of winning. I'm just trying to look at the situation through O'Brien eyes, as someone who chose Hoyer to start week 1. If I'm going to make the change, then I'm going to need to be extra sure by making sure I hold up my end of the deal & put Hoyer in position to succeed.

That said, I do recognize Hoyer fk'd up quit a bit on his own. He's got to own that. I'll hold him accountable for that. I'd tell him, "I left you in the game as long as I did, because a lot of what was going wrong, was my fault. But I eventually yanked your ass, because you were screwing up pretty good all on your own."

I'd tell Mallet he did a good job being ready to play. He needs to keep doing that. I wouldn't promise him that he'll get a chance to play next week, but he needs to be ready.

From where I sat, Hoyer put together a few good looking drives. I thought he looked as good as Mallet did in Cleveland at times. The goal is for him to put together more drives like that than not. But honestly, if I had started Mallet & our offense looked as bad as it did, is it totally unreasonable to think Hoyer couldn't provide a spark like Mallet did? He's done it before in this league, & like I said, he had a couple of drives that looked as good as Mallet's.

I also saw Hoyer look as pathetic as Mallet did against Cincinnati. Again, the goal is to see less & less of that guy.

So if I'm O'Brien & I think Hoyer is the more consistent of the two, he'll get the start. But I'm going to make extra sure to go that extra mile to make sure my offense is ready to support him. From the players to the play calls to the goal line packages, to the hot reads, the check with mes, everything.

But he needs to know I won't wait as long to pull him in a road game.

I understand what you're saying. It's important to me that you know that I am not one of the people you're referring to in your opening line. Taking that into account "No".

Maybe from some angle of appearing to stick to his word or his guns or whatever OB should do that but his job is to win games and if he screwed up (and I think everyone here as well as you knows that's true) by picking Hoyer but Mallet gives us the best chance to win then that's the end of the discussion right there. That is where I expect OB to own up to his mistake. He can play it however he wants to but he needs to get Mallet out there and let him do what he does best (when healthy) and that's make the offense move.

I think the team busts their ass harder for Mallet than they do for Hoyer. I think they did the same thing for Mallet over Fitz last year. There's energy there when Mallet is in the game. When Hoyer (or Fitz last season) is in there it is very hit or miss.

But if I'm OB and I am starting Hoyer next week because I picked him because he practices pretty and I can't see what's right before my eyes then I deserve to get another "L" hung on me because I'm a ******* moron in that scenario.

If Hoyer's inability to make reads under pressure isn't enough evidence for his benching, just look at the throw that Mallett made to Deandre for the 2 point conversion. Hoyer could never make that throw.

If Hoyer's inability to make reads under pressure isn't enough evidence for his benching, just look at the throw that Mallett made to Deandre for the 2 point conversion. Hoyer could never make that throw.

Exactly. Mallett has talent that Hoyer will never possess.

I've felt like Mallet was replaced without cause following the 2014 season when Hoyer was brought in and I wouldn't be surprised if there are some Texans on the offense who think the same way. It wouldn't surprise me at all. OB (with Rick) has already chased off Andre Johnson, shipped Fitz to New York and replaced him with Hoyer (Fitz was liked as was Chris Meyer) and then he handed the starting job to Cleveland's castoff instead of making him beat Mallet out of it. Add to that the very weird way he declared Hoyer the winner due to better practices (and that's just ******* odd) and I don't think he's nearly as trusted by this team as he should be going into year two.

Hoyer showed us today that he is who we thought he was. So, just based on that, I want Mallett to start. That said Hoyer did have a nice drive when they scored. So did Mallett, which doesn't mean that he wouldn't have **** the bed had he had more than one drive to run. But I'd like to find out next week.

What! No poll?

Hoyer starts. He's the starter.

It was not Seegra approved, :littlelol:

I really think it will be Hoyer, but I think if he sucks it up for even 1 quarter, it will be Mallet TIME!

I want Hoyer to start game 2. That way their will be no choice but to start Mallett game 3. I am confident that Hoyer will crap the bed again. Mallett then will come in at the half of that game. Then the Ryan Mallett experiment will have to begin. Let him start 6 consecutive games and see if he has it in him and if he is the answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think O'Brien screwed up by starting Hoyer in the fist place. But since he di, he's got to roll with it.
No he doesn't. Hoyer doesn't have the past success of a Manning or a Brees to fallback on. He was in in a very close QB competition that he won with consistent practices. He's lost the job by not being able to translate those practices into a game situation. So it's the next man up to give it a go.

I want Hoyer to start game 2. That way their will be no choice but to start Mallett game 3. I am confident that Hoyer will crap the bed again. Mallett then will come in at the half of that game. Then the Ryan Mallett experiment will have to begin. Let him start 6 consecutive games and see if he has it in him and if he is the answer.

I think that's the way to play it. If Mallet comes in & sparks the offense like he did this week, then you think about starting him week 3. If he brings us from behind & wins the game, then he definitely starts.

Then, for the first time in Texans history we'll have a starting QB to win his job.

No he doesn't. Hoyer doesn't have the past success of a Manning or a Brees to fallback on. He was in in a very close QB competition that he won with consistent practices. He's lost the job by not being able to translate those practices into a game situation. So it's the next man up to give it a go.

So what do you do if he starts Mallet & Mallett looks like crap against Carolina?

A lot of things went wrong for us today. QB was one of them. Our avg starting position had to be our 13 yard line in the first half & our defense couldn't get off the field. We had two possessions in the 1st qtr... I'm guessing.

I'm not saying Hoyer earned anything, like Peyton & Brees I was just saying even the better QBs struggle. If I were OB, I'd feel like I want to make doubly sure Hoyer isn't the guy. The last thing I want is to Start Mallet, he sucks, start Hoyer, he sucks, start Mallet... I want to make the change one time & whoever ends up being the starter, take the good with the bad & make the best of the situation.

I'm not going to make this switch because the Chiefs put it on cruise control in the 4th qtr.

I think Mallett needs to be the starter. Last year we was 1 game away from making the playoffs so we can't risk the Carolina game just to give Hoyer another shot. If Mallett isn't very good then we know what we have, but if he is maybe we can go on a nice 3 game win streak before we face the Colts.

Are we trying to help Obrien keep his word or win football games? If he's trying to win and stop awarding points for "looking sharp in meetings", then the choice is apparent.

I have it on very good authority that you guys are missing one important thing:

It was Uncle Bob, filled with the Holy Ghost, who called down and had OB put Mallett in. The only other time McNair did this was when he called into Kubes to put Keenum in.

Mallett starts against Carolina.

It will be Hoyer if consistency is what OB is looking for. Today he consistently looked like the crappy QB he is.

As I've said all summer long, Mallett may not be the answer either, but I know Hoyer isn't.

It was Uncle Bob, filled with the Holy Ghost, who called down and had OB put Mallett in. The only other time McNair did this was when he called into Kubes to put Keenum in.

I can't imagine that. If that's the way it went, great. About time. But I find it hard to believe.

Very hard to believe, but I am not saying it isn't true. It is just very hard to believe unless more people can validate this.

Hoyer has had 17 or so starts. You know what you have. Mallett has Mallett has appeared in 1 1/5 games and has looked good with upside. We need to get a larger sample size and find out what we have. So you have to ride out the bad games this year if/when he has them. He needs to have a chance like Rodgers did after Favre (not to say he is the next Rodgers.) just for the rest of the season. Dont flip flop between the two QBs.

Just my homer opinion.

I hope you are right on this. Mallet shudda be given the job if for no other reason than he was our starting qb and was injured.

Furthermore keenum with the right coaching has potential...look at what Jeff fisher has done. (Not wanting to get in a Keenum debate)

So I hope he did call down. And I don't know who was at the game but nuk was open in the end zone and not picked up. And the play of Hoyer looked far worse at the game than on the tv. The fumble was crazy and the sack he just went to fetal ball. So I hope someone did call him.

You owe it to the franchise and the fan base to see what you have in mallett

We are told that players and fans must have a short memory about the bad, and start over with a new slate.........the next game.........the next season........the next decade. Many of us have been trained to intuitively react as such, that we are now seeking therapeutic support.

health-beauty-unwrapped-memory_loss-support_group-memory-short_term-dren744_low.jpg

I hope you are right on this. Mallet shudda be given the job if for no other reason than he was our starting qb and was injured.

Furthermore keenum with the right coaching has potential...look at what Jeff fisher has done. (Not wanting to get in a Keenum debate)

So I hope he did call down. And I don't know who was at the game but nuk was open in the end zone and not picked up. And the play of Hoyer looked far worse at the game than on the tv.

Yeah, it would be great if McNair called down & told O'Brien, "Don't insult my intelligence. & you better hope Mallett isn't worse than what I've been watching today, because you brought both those mfkrs in."

I certainly hope it wasn't McNair. Not that I believe that for a second. I'd rather believe OB realized he wasn't empowering Hoyer like he'd hoped he could and wanted to give the gunslinger a look with time left. Now I just hope he might begin to trust that gunslinger a bit more.

The last thing I want to believe is our owner is making demanding phone calls to the sideline midgame.

Back