Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

What's your plan for QB next season?

A pick used on a quarterback in this draft is highly likely to be a wasted pick .... I don't see a single QB they can realistically get at 25 or beyond that has the potential to be a competent starter in the NFL.
Make better use of that pick by trading it in exchange for a player who has the potential to be a quality NFL starter ....
Meh, maybe not - in this qb hungry league, if he looks even slightly better than Osweiler, someone will be interested enough for a trade if Texans can't use him.
That's where you get your pick back (or a good chunk of it anyway) and all it cost you was the time invested in him by the coaching staff - whose job it is to coach in the first place.

A pick used on a quarterback in this draft is highly likely to be a wasted pick .... I don't see a single QB they can realistically get at 25 or beyond that has the potential to be a competent starter in the NFL.
Make better use of that pick by trading it in exchange for a player who has the potential to be a quality NFL starter ....

We will see where this class goes as the evaluation process goes forward, but doesn't look good. I think they made the decision at some point to not overpay in the draft for qb, so I doubt any of the top guys are coming here.

I seriously think they go for more value over need than most teams. Look at the picks of JJ and Mercilus, both weren't necessarily needs at the time, but they had value. In the new NFL world of ponders, Manuels, gabberts etc. it's kind of hard to think in a year with limited prospects that any one of these qbs will be available at close to value.

I want them to draft a qb in the first three rounds too, but it doesn't look like this is the year. There are so many good cbs, and Even though its obviously not as impactful as QB, it's probably the in the next group of positions (WR,LT,Edge,CB) so alls not lost.

It will probably will be a veteran addition, Savage, and OS. Not sexy, but Savage hasn't really got his shot.

This team is built to win NOW. We need a quarterback who is ready NOW ..... not one who needs 2-3 years of seasoning before he's ready to compete.

We are simply not going to get that guy in this draft , even if we were picking #1` .... He's not there.

You want to take a flyer on a mid round QB .... fine , do it but go get a starter in the mean time.

But what if you do draft a sleeper quarterback like Russell William or Dak Prescott. Nobody knows these two would come out the gates like they did. Here is a few other names: Tom Brady 6 rounder and Big Ben.

Sometimes you have to roll the dices and hope they land or either 7 or 11's.

This team is built to win NOW. We need a quarterback who is ready NOW ..... not one who needs 2-3 years of seasoning before he's ready to compete.

We are simply not going to get that guy in this draft , even if we were picking #1` .... He's not there.

You want to take a flyer on a mid round QB .... fine , do it but go get a starter in the mean time.

But what if you do draft a sleeper quarterback like Russell William or Dak Prescott. Nobody knows these two would come out the gates like they did. Here is a few other names: Tom Brady 6 rounder and Big Ben.

Sometimes you have to roll the dices and hope they land or either 7 or 11's.

It seems to me every time a coaching regime takes over a team that doesn't have a quarterback a countdown begins.

Generally, that count down is 4-5 years and in that time frame there are expectations a franchise quarterback or at a least a compotent quarterback will be found to stabalize a team. And don't fool yourself because there are 2 kinds of teams: those who have a franchise quarterback and those who wish they had a franchise quarterback. In that regard the first 2 years of this regime were a waste. Fitzpatrick. Hoyer. Really? Osweiler was a shot at finding that guy and they MISSED. Savage was a project they knew comming in but did they ever really plan around him being the guy? I was happy when they picked him though because it was at least a shot. Again it was a miss - but i was ready to give them a participation trophy just for finally competing in the qb arms race.

Outside of that, this whole quarterback thing has been largely ignored by this staff. It's like a bad spot on the wall in their home they were to lazy to paint. So instead, they moved a piece of furniture in front of it and hoped no one would notice.

And all along that franchise quarterback countdown has been looming like some apocalyptic day on a mayan calendar. Closer and closer. Every off-season was one less chance to find that guy and now maybe it's to late because they probably no longer have the time to groom someone. Now they have to catch lightning in a jar with free agent scraps and or a rookie clone of dak. Good luck with that.

Ultimately, it's just frustrating they made so little effort to even try over the last few years. It's not like we have a history of nailing 2nd or 3rd round picks. I fear 2017 is going to be a carbon copy of this past season and that leaves me less then enthusiastic. Hope im wrong.

We will see where this class goes as the evaluation process goes forward, but doesn't look good. I think they made the decision at some point to not overpay in the draft for qb, so I doubt any of the top guys are coming here.

I seriously think they go for more value over need than most teams. Look at the picks of JJ and Mercilus, both weren't necessarily needs at the time, but they had value. In the new NFL world of ponders, Manuels, gabberts etc. it's kind of hard to think in a year with limited prospects that any one of these qbs will be available at close to value.

I want them to draft a qb in the first three rounds too, but it doesn't look like this is the year. There are so many good cbs, and Even though its obviously not as impactful as QB, it's probably the in the next group of positions (WR,LT,Edge,CB) so alls not lost.

It will probably will be a veteran addition, Savage, and OS. Not sexy, but Savage hasn't really got his shot.
I agree with the "too early in the process" part.

Corrosion's premise did not even include a "guestimation" of how many QBs will be drafted before 25.

Using Savage and Osweiler as baseline as to where they were drafted, at the moment, I have between 4-6 guys that I would slot in the first four rounds.

But again, like you said, it's still early.
There are still a lot more homework to be done.
This class might turn out to be a little better than the last one.

Yeah... now the rumor is that it was reportedly rumored that O'b thought that much of Garoppolo & Smith didn't, hence Smith needs to GTFO...
What exactly has Garoppolo done to make you think he is the be all to end all?

Os at least had a bigger body or work as a pro.

Garapollo may end up great and better than Os but as of now I am not all bent out of shape in not getting him.

I think O'b will be just fine.

I disagree that this team is built to win now. Rookies for receivers outside of Hopkins, poor offensive line, no QB, overrated running back, good defense.

More like this team has players and a unit on defense that is a shame to not be taking advantage of.

Bout right....

http://www.espn.com/blog/houston-te...rterback-away-from-competing-for-a-super-bowl

Should contend, but there are question marks.....
Assessing the foundation: The Houston Texans have put together a good, Super Bowl-contending team. But for as close as they are, they’ve shown an inability under general manager Rick Smith to identify and acquire a franchise quarterback, which is obviously a huge problem. By parting ways with offensive coordinator George Godsey, the Texans showed they are serious about improving the offense -- the unit scored just 23 regular-season touchdowns this year -- in what likely will be quarterback Brock Osweiler's final season with the team.

Realistic ways the Texans can improve their chances of contending for a Super Bowl:
Find a good starting quarterback.
Fix the offensive line.
Find a way to re-sign cornerback
A.J. Bouye
Figure out a way to get WR DeAndre Hopkins the ball.

Bout right....

http://www.espn.com/blog/houston-te...rterback-away-from-competing-for-a-super-bowl

Should contend, but there are question marks.....
Assessing the foundation: The Houston Texans have put together a good, Super Bowl-contending team. But for as close as they are, they’ve shown an inability under general manager Rick Smith to identify and acquire a franchise quarterback, which is obviously a huge problem. By parting ways with offensive coordinator George Godsey, the Texans showed they are serious about improving the offense -- the unit scored just 23 regular-season touchdowns this year -- in what likely will be quarterback Brock Osweiler's final season with the team.

Realistic ways the Texans can improve their chances of contending for a Super Bowl:
Fix the offensive line.
A.J. Bouye
Fixing the line will definitely help the running and passing games but in actual fact, the line was not bad, but not excellent either.
A good qb and rb also helps the line.

We don't talk a lot about Miller. People talk about how we ran it up the middle a lot, which is true for the most part, but it isn't as if we set Miller up to fail. The guy was going down at first sign of contact ALOT from what I remember. Hell, in the hole, sometimes he would start going down before contact was initiated. He's definitely no hard runner that gets extra yards, he pretty much gets bare minimum in 80% or more of plays. He's been overrated and did not live up to his RB contract.

The left side wasn't that bad but the right side was pretty bad.
Going with NFL.com stats, the Texans allowed 32 sacks and 97 QB hits (no stats from other form of pressure available here)
That's tie for 15th in the league for the regular season.

In the play-offs, they allowed 3 sacks and 6 QB hits in 2 games.
Only the Steelers did better.
The Patriots gave up 4 sacks and 11 QB hits in 3 games; you could call that a toss up... or maybe it was Brady's quick time to pass/release that helped the O-line a bit.

Football Outsiders ranks the Texans line at no. 12 for the regular season, using their own metrics.

There are other times when the QB get hurried, true, but I can't find any stats on those yet.
PFF may have them later on, after the season

But at any rate, it doesn't look like the line is bad by any mean, especially given the long set up time and that delivery of Osweiler.

Reactions: ROO
I agree. The article also goes on to say the line wasn't a complete disaster. They got better when Brown came back.
Mancz was a revelation by season's end ranked 9th and still a rookie. Looks good going forward.
If we can solidify that right side now we will be able to run to both sides.

Last edited:
Going with NFL.com stats, the Texans allowed 32 sacks and 97 QB hits (no stats from other form of pressure available here)

The Patriots gave up 4 sacks and 11 QB hits in 3 games; you could call that a toss up... or maybe it was Brady's quick time to pass/release that helped the O-line a bit.

Football Outsiders ranks the Texans line at no. 12 for the regular season, using their own metrics.

There are other times when the QB get hurried, true, but I can't find any stats on those yet.

But at any rate, it doesn't look like the line is bad by any mean, especially given the long set up time and that delivery of Osweiler.
One has to wonder how many of those sacks/QB hits were due to the QB holding the ball too long.

One has to wonder how many of those sacks/QB hits were due to the QB holding the ball too long.
In my eyes, Osweiler had improved on that.
It's probably OB's play calling.
But still, with the number of drop back passes, I think Osweiler did get rid of the ball sooner a little more often than when he was with the Broncos.
A little silver in the lining. ;)

Mancz was a revelation by season's end ranked 9th and still a rookie. Looks good going forward.
If we can solidify that right side now we will be able to run to both sides.
I'd like to go back and look at the line play during the next few months, but Mancz probably gets more help than some other centers in the league.

Maybe the bad plays stick in our heads more than the good ones.

We don't talk a lot about Miller. People talk about how we ran it up the middle a lot, which is true for the most part, but it isn't as if we set Miller up to fail. The guy was going down at first sign of contact ALOT from what I remember. Hell, in the hole, sometimes he would start going down before contact was initiated. He's definitely no hard runner that gets extra yards, he pretty much gets bare minimum in 80% or more of plays. He's been overrated and did not live up to his RB contract.

I completely agree. He doesn't win one on ones, isn't elusive he enough, goes down easy. He is really just fast, not made to run between the tackles or be more than a change of pace 3rd down guy. IMHO with an above average running back, the team would not have looked as hapless on offense. A lot of those 1-2 yard runs should have been 3-4 yard, a lot of the 10 yard plays should been 20+. Even in space he didn't win enough against lbs or Dbs in space. Since this draft is loaded at RB, there will be guys there in the draft throughout, and I don't think they should target a complimentary big back, it should be a guy who can be a true 3 Down back. Shoring up the line in FA/draft and honestly bringing in two new faces in the back field would really take pressure off the qb and help in the red zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I completely agree. He doesn't win one on ones, isn't elusive he enough, goes down easy. He is really just fast, not made to run between the tackles or be more than a change of pace 3rd down guy. IMHO with an above average running back, the team would not have looked as hapless on offense. A lot of those 1-2 yard runs should have been 3-4 yard, a lot of the 10 yard plays should been 20+. Even in space he didn't win enough against lbs or Dbs in space. Since this draft is loaded at RB, there will be guys there in the draft throughout, and I don't think they should target a complimentary big back, it should be a guy who can be a true 3 Down back. Shoring up the line in FA/draft and honestly bringing in two new faces in the back field would really take pressure off the qb and help in the red zone.

I think he's really elusive at times, but I think he's a bit afraid of contact so he's not always utilizing that skill. Some Dolphin fan friends of mine warned me about this, but I definitely saw it more first hand this year. I'm sure injury played some part, but it isn't a new thing for him. He just kind of gives up on plays and goes down at first sign that he will be hit or is being hit.

Totally agree with you and others that say that we really could use better RB play. We've got more relatively serious to serious holes than draft picks though, so either we need to do well in FA or not address one or more of those holes. I could see that being RB given Miller's salary.

This team is built to win NOW. We need a quarterback who is ready NOW ..... not one who needs 2-3 years of seasoning before he's ready to compete...
...Should contend, but there are question marks....Realistic ways the Texans can improve their chances of contending for a Super Bowl:
Fix the offensive line.
A.J. Bouye
There are certainly multiple opinions on the direction the team should take going into the 2017 season. This is one and the one I like.

We need to use our available cap space to sign our own FA's and add a few additional key pieces - I'm thinking veteran RT and maybe another OG. We should then use our draft to add further depth. BPA could well be a defensive back at #1, but there are a couple of OT prospects which currently are graded as late second/high third round which may move up the charts. But if the prospect is there, we need to draft a potential replacement for Brown.

To summarize, we need to use free agency and the draft to fill holes and strengthen depth - to win now.

To address the QB position, now, with someone who knows the system, there are only three options: stay with Oz, go with Savage/Weeden, trade for Jimmy G.

I've made my position clear in previous posts concerning Oz. No need to repeat.

However, some of you have made a strong case for Jimmy G. and I could run with this decision, if the team chose to go in this direction. However, this would cost, at a minimum, our first round draft pick, and another high pick. And this flies in the face of my overall plan to strengthen our team - to win now - through the draft, and free agency.

I still think that the best course of action, in order to win now, is to go into training camp with Savage and Weeden as our #1 and #2. I would use a mid-round pick on a QB, but would be planning ahead to the 2018 QB draft class, if need be.

But both Savage and Weeden would be an an improvement over the 2016 Oz - maybe a huge improvement. By using free agency and the draft to improve our offensive line, and tweaking our defense, and let's not forget the return of Watt, the 2017 version of our Texans would be better than this past season's. With improved quarterbacking, we maybe could be a contender - now.

Totally agree with you and others that say that we really could use better RB play. We've got more relatively serious to serious holes than draft picks though, so either we need to do well in FA or not address one or more of those holes. I could see that being RB given Miller's salary.

Would have been nice to see more of Akeem Hunt.

Would have been nice to see more of Akeem Hunt.

Agreed. He seemed to produce almost every time he touched the ball. At the same time, I'm not sure he's the type of back that we asked Miller to be, and I'm sure that Miller is not the type of back we asked him to be. Miller looks more and more like a 3rd down or change of pace back. Explains why Miami never asked him to be more than a RB in a committee.

Agreed. He seemed to produce almost every time he touched the ball. At the same time, I'm not sure he's the type of back that we asked Miller to be, and I'm sure that Miller is not the type of back we asked him to be. Miller looks more and more like a 3rd down or change of pace back. Explains why Miami never asked him to be more than a RB in a committee.

There will be decent rbs still available in the 5th or later this year and special guys in the first 3.

Agree completely on hunt. Im not so sure about miller though. Judging him is just as difficult as judging a qb in this offense. Bad line. Stupid playcalling. So who's fault is it? Let's continue to pound the ball inside with a guy better suited outside when it doesn't work- again and again and again.

Brilliant

Does it matter what our plans are? I think the Texans are set with at least 2 of the 3 in the minds of those that do matter

Agreed,

Sad part is those 2-3 are still looking for a franchise or even avg QB after 15 yrs.

Reactions: JB

That was only 2 games for the Patriots. Remember they had a bi-week to start the playoffs.

But great point.

That was only 2 games for the Patriots. Remember they had a bi-week to start the playoffs.

But great point.

Let's all remember Miller was dealing with three different injuries pretty much all season.

I remember when Foster got hurt dude started hitting the ground earlier or running out of bounds.
Cushing is another good example. In the preseason he was the old Cush. But as soon as he got nicked up, he wasn't attacking with knock you out hit anymore.

Hopefully Miller stays healthy next season and show us what he's really made of.

Does it matter what our plans are? I think the Texans are set with at least 2 of the 3 in the minds of those that do matter
Well, Capt. Obvious :D, I thought this was a "what would YOU do?" not a "what do you think the Texans will do?" thread.
We all know we don't have any input into their processes. I mean, should we just stop posting and watch?

I've been high on Mahomes for awhile now and there are a few guys getting more love than him. I'd be happy if we draft him and see what he's got.

yea at first I was thinking take him in the 2nd if he is still there, now with all the qb hungry teams I'm thinking what the he'll why not just take him at 25 and see what he's got. can't be any worse right?

Well, Capt. Obvious :D, I thought this was a "what would YOU do?" not a "what do you think the Texans will do?" thread.
We all know we don't have any input into their processes. I mean, should we just stop posting and watch?

And support... don't forget about the support :wink:

yea at first I was thinking take him in the 2nd if he is still there, now with all the qb hungry teams I'm thinking what the he'll why not just take him at 25 and see what he's got. can't be any worse right?

Because as bad as we need a good qb we need the people who can keep him upright more.

If the qb is no better than 'can't be any worse' then maybe we best get one of the big people that we feel more confident about first and see which of the other 'can't be any worse' are still there in the 2nd?

Just a thought.

DamnDamnDamn.gif

If only we could get a QB & an OL in the same draft....

Back