Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The Wade Phillips Thread - Status: Not a Candidate for Tampa

Yep. For the more savvy fan, the bloom is off the rose.

He had a shot at maybe becoming a bit of an icon here. And he might still accomplish it if he changes some stripes. But doggone if it doesn't look like he's hell-bent for leather to get another HC gig ANYWHERE he can get one.

I mean, he's not "looking" to be one, but he will listen...and he's happy where he's at but he still wants to be a HC again. LOL.

Wade Phillips: Defensive Coordinator extraordinaire. Public Relations genius? Not so much.
I disagree with this. Listening to an offer and interviewing for a position is a far cry from taking just any old HC gig. Bum's on record as saying Wade doesn't want to coach just any team. He'd like to coach a contender, not rebuild a team. Of course, Bum is also on record as saying Wade doesn't want to be a HC anymore so who knows?
All in all, I think Wade stays at least one more year. Are there any real competetive teams needing a new HC right now? TB made a splash on a last place schedule then came down to earth playing a 3rd place schedule. The only quality team they beat last year were the Saints in week 17. Hardly contender material.

Odds are more favorable of him sticking around, getting more help via the draft, free agency maybe as well, and hopefully shutting his pie hole about wanting to be a HC again.

If that happens, he and Kubiak could string together several awesome seasons and have great chances on an annual basis.

Just my two cents, not saying it's HOW it will play out. Just saying this would be most advantageous to us if he sort of figured out he was no longer a true HC candidate anymore. As it stands, dude is gonna' leave if somebody extends the offer his way.

Agreed.

I'd wish he'd just settle down here. Being a part of a championship team is something I'm sure is worth it if they can get it done.

Going to Tampa a team that's not looking good though takes him further away from that. I thought he was at a stage in his career that he's willing to play sidekick to help win a ring. Sort of like the old NBA vet that gets the label as ring chaser, hopping from team to team hoping to win one. I thought this was where Wade was at, but clearly with his comments he wants to be a HC again.

I'm just hoping that the talent on our defense will bring us a long line of accomplished DCs begging to take over.

Channel 2 just said that the Texans gave permission to talk to him.

Wade said it's both "the best job I've had" (with the Texans) and "I'd like to talk about it" of being a head coach again.

It's right to give him permission. He's a grown man and denying him that would just frustrate him.

I think we as fans just need to show the man love. Houston is his home and if you see Wade out and about remind him of that.

I hate this and the timing. But I can see it from Wade's perspective.

Think about how his image was tarnished by his tenure with the Cowgirls. People are saying he is a "bad head coach." He is human. Of course he wants to erase that image. And being a great DC is wonderful and all that, but the head coach is where it is all at.

Sad for us, and I want him to stay. But I see why he wants a chance to redeem his image.

Agreed.

I'd wish he'd just settle down here. Being a part of a championship team is something I'm sure is worth it if they can get it done.

Going to Tampa a team that's not looking good though takes him further away from that. I thought he was at a stage in his career that he's willing to play sidekick to help win a ring. Sort of like the old NBA vet that gets the label as ring chaser, hopping from team to team hoping to win one. I thought this was where Wade was at, but clearly with his comments he wants to be a HC again.

I'm just hoping that the talent on our defense will bring us a long line of accomplished DCs begging to take over.
Ironically enough, Kubiak won three of them by doing the exact opposite. 1 season in the pro's with SF, 11 with Denver and 6 with Houston. 3 teams in 18 years.
This Wade's 9th team in 35 years of coaching in the NFL.

Whether right or wrong, even if he fails to land the HC position.......after his recent comments, many Houston fans will never again see Wade with the same loveable endearment and reverence that is his father.

I think if this happens these people are silly and petty and only think about themselves. Wade came in and changed this team, the perception, the culture, and turned us into winners.

If people turn their backs on him b/c he still has the passion and burns to be a head coach then boo to those people. They were never a fan of Wade's, only a fan of what have you done for me lately.

I don't remember Wade ever saying he was home here and never wanted to move on as long as he is able to coach. Day one he talked about his head coaching record and how he should still be in talks about getting a head coaching job.

You don't want to be a first mate if you have been the captain of a ship.

Without finding a link, I know that we've discussed on here how the Bucs are EXTREMELY well below the salary cap. As in, "They can go and by a lot of groceries" if they wanted to. As in, leaps and bounds and far and away the leader of the pack in salary cap space.

This was discussed in the lockout days during the summer.

GP, this should help.

Salary Cap Space: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Will Have Around $55 Million In 2012
by Sander on Dec 29, 2011 12:19 PM EST in Free Agency

The Bucs have been near the top of the league in terms of salary cap space this season. Back in September, ESPN reported that the Bucs had $27.2 million in cap space, a number that likely hasn't significantly changed. That ranked them second in the league. The Bucs had all of this cap space, but didn't use it on the deepest free agency class in NFL history. They didn't use it to extend their own players, either, although there haven't exactly been many candidates for extension this season.

Keeping all of that in mind, the Bucs will have even more cap space next season. Per Andrew Brandt of the National Football Post, they will work with a salary cap close to $150 million, as the $25 million of 2011 cap space rolls over to next season. With a reported salary cap number of $92.873 million in 2012 (per ESPN), the Bucs will have nearly $55 million in salary cap space.

The question now becomes: will the Bucs spend this money, and who will they spend it on?

The first question is hard to answer: they haven't spent a lot of money in the past couple of seasons, and the salary floor won't force them to spend money either*. On the other hand, the Bucs clearly need talent at a few positions (most notably cornerback, safety and linebacker), and Mark Dominik's plan does include spending money on free agents at some point. Most notably, it includes spending money on positions where drafted players have failed and signing players who will start.

The Bucs have seen their draft picks fail at several positions this season, though the question is to what extent that's going to be a long term problem. Brian Price and Gerald McCoy haven't produced the way the team wants them to produce, but both players' lack of production can be chalked up to injury - so is that a long-term concern? Quincy Black was a solid linebacker before he was re-signed to a new contract, but his play has collapsed this season. Is that a long-term problem? Aqib Talib has been a pretty good player, but his off-field problems bring his long-term prospects with the Buccaneers into question. Tanard Jackson has shown a complete inability to tackle this season - but can he do turn himself into his 2007 version again?

The Bucs will have to find ways to answer these questions this offseason to determine where and if they're going to spend money in free agency. There's also always the possibility that Mark Dominik is replaced after this season, though that seems a little unlikely. If that happens, the Bucs could overhaul their free agency strategy too.

Ultimately, I think the Bucs will spend more in free agency this offseason than they have in years past. Then again, I thought the same thing last season - so who knows.

*:A salary floor accounted for in cash spent was instated in the last CBA, but that won't come into effect until 2013, and even then its effect will be limited. The Bucs will have to spend 90% of the salary cap in cash per year, but they'll have to do that over the four-year period 2013-2016, and then the four-year period 2017-2020. That means they can be below the salary floor for several years, as long as they compensate for that later on. Even if they don't do that, they'll simply be penalized the amount of money they didn't spend - so they won't be forced to spend that money on players, either.

Reactions: GP
Mike Sherman? Not good enough for the SEC. But good enough for Tampa Bay? That would be a weird hire. #crossfingers

Man, you got that right. That's a jaw dropper. Couldn't believe my eyes when I read that.

I guess one man's trash truly is another man's treasure.

What people aren't considering is that Wade simply wants to achieve at least what his father achieved. Dallas permanently tarnished his legacy, but his dad still gets to be team captain at playoff games.

I don't know if Wade gets TB job or not. One thing is certain that we do have good coaching staff that other teams are interested in which is a good thing IMO. Last year Dennison, before that Sherman(not pro but) and now Wade. I hope, Wade stays with us however, I do understand if he decided to leave for TB's HC job. To me, Wade deserves another chance to prove himself that he is capable of doing HC and be successful at it.

After all, he helped us get into playoffs and win post season game for us. I know, the timing is bad but I can't blame him for not giving up his desire to become HC again should he gets TB's HC job offer. I myself included, many of us here did not expected this much of a quick turn around(from bottom of D to #2 D). I am sure that he worked really hard to prepare for this season. He mentioned in an interview post Cincy game that he is Houstonian and I think he means well. (Like father like son, no bulls) He loves the city and its fans and gave everything his got to improve our D.

Growing up watching your father become HC for NFL team and worked with him as a member of coaching staff, naturally as son, would be interested in taking same foot steps and become HC like him someday.

As fan of Bum and Wade, I can't blame him of anything bad if he leaves. It will be sad. But, I wish him good luck if he gets an offer.

This is just me how I see Wade's situation and I am sure we all have different opinions.

Wade came in and changed this team, the perception, the culture, and turned us into winners.

We will end up a 1 year wonder.

He came in and drafted all these 3-4 players. Now we weill need to find a coach that will still use all these 3-4 players. We already know that his successor is not on this staff. Players were already questioning the play calling of Herring while Wade was out.

McNair should not have let him interview while our season is still going on. Wade should have told them he would interview after he was done with this season. He should be more focused on winning in the playoffs than where he will coach next - expecially as he is still under contract.

If he does leave and the Texans hire from within we will be back to 8-8 or worse.

This is like a kick in the nuts.

Sometimes you need to learn to do what you are best at and leave the power search for others.

I understand the irritation. I don't understand all abject hatred being put out by GP, She Texan, et al.

Where do you get "hatred" out of what I posted. Anger, irritation, disappointment, maybe, but, not hatred!

DAMN, I LOVE Wade Phillips! Respect the hell out of what he has done for our team, and understand his desire to be a HC again! I just HATE the timing, and think it's disrespectful, that's all!! BTW: His job is not done until we are out of the playoffs!! JMO!

Oh well! It is what it is, and nothing can change that! If he leaves I will wish him good health, hate the TB BUCS as much as I hate the Cowboys, and keep on believin in my home team!

What people aren't considering is that Wade simply wants to achieve at least what his father achieved. Dallas permanently tarnished his legacy, but his dad still gets to be team captain at playoff games.

If he kicks the #$%^ door in this year, he'll have accomplished more. :d:

not happy. i realize he'd like to get a ring as a head coach, but he's the hometown hero, the son of bum, in the job he's most qualified for, with all the freedom he could want and as much money as he wants. that's the setting.

the big deal to me is that because of wade's defense we've made the playoffs for the first time and just won our first playoff game. what does it tell your players as they prepare for the biggest game of their careers that you've changed their world, but will leave practice early because taking over a team we destroyed earlier in the season might be more rewarding.

we all get it. tampa cant sit and wait, and wade would like to stamp the exclamation point as the man in charge to go with his wins, but i dont like it as a fan and i'm sure the lockerroom isnt happy. for a team full of young guys that have already come to depend on him to make us winners, that's not what you want to hear a day before traveling to a powerhouse.

We will end up a 1 year wonder.

He came in and drafted all these 3-4 players. Now we weill need to find a coach that will still use all these 3-4 players. We already know that his successor is not on this staff. Players were already questioning the play calling of Herring while Wade was out.

McNair should not have let him interview while our season is still going on. Wade should have told them he would interview after he was done with this season. He should be more focused on winning in the playoffs than where he will coach next - expecially as he is still under contract.

If he does leave and the Texans hire from within we will be back to 8-8 or worse.

This is like a kick in the nuts.

Sometimes you need to learn to do what you are best at and leave the power search for others.

Good post, I agree with it. I'll go a bit further though, if Wade leaves town, I'm moving the Phillips family in the same mental room with Bud Adams and they can stay there.

Kubiak has shown he knows NOTHING about running a defense or hiring someone who can. Phillips came in through the owner and Rick Smith, and if Phillips leaves, I agree with Grams, we're back to the same old **** around here.

Yeah well the front-runner for next man up would be Reggie Herring right? If so I would agree.

I think if this happens these people are silly and petty and only think about themselves. Wade came in and changed this team, the perception, the culture, and turned us into winners.

If people turn their backs on him b/c he still has the passion and burns to be a head coach then boo to those people. They were never a fan of Wade's, only a fan of what have you done for me lately.

I don't remember Wade ever saying he was home here and never wanted to move on as long as he is able to coach. Day one he talked about his head coaching record and how he should still be in talks about getting a head coaching job.

You don't want to be a first mate if you have been the captain of a ship.

Exactly Texans Red. Reading some of these comments in this thread, boy you'd think that Texans fans of all people would have some better class than that. Apparently not with some people. We finally get the best coaching performance from any coach that's ever entered this team, and people are ready to blast the guy the minute that he "might" take another opportunity that is a better opportunity for him. Talk about having no appreciation for anything. As a coach or a player, who would want to bust their ass for fans like that who are going to be quick to turn on you the minute you succeed at progressing in your career??

Exactly Texans Red. Reading some of these comments in this thread, boy you'd think that Texans fans of all people would have some better class than that. Apparently not with some people. We finally get the best coaching performance from any coach that's ever entered this team, and people are ready to blast the guy the minute that he "might" take another opportunity that is a better opportunity for him. Talk about having no appreciation for anything. As a coach or a player, who would want to bust their ass for fans like that who are going to be quick to turn on you the minute you succeed at progressing in your career??

Hey Tex, I never claimed to have any class. :lol:

I think Mcnair is a smart guy. He's seen what hiring new guys has got him, he'll stay away from it unless a young guy really impresses them. After Wade he's not going to just settle for any old DC.

What makes you think that? In his history he's only hired one good coach that has done well in the last 10 seasons. Bob has a lot stronger history of bad hires than he does good hires coaching wise. I'd like to think that if Wade leaves that he'd thoroughly search for the best coaching candidate possible that is a vet DC. I'd hope that he would do that, but I wouldn't bank on it just because we hired Wade.

What makes you think that? In his history he's only hired one good coach that has done well in the last 10 seasons. Bob has a lot stronger history of bad hires than he does good hires coaching wise. I'd like to think that if Wade leaves that he'd thoroughly search for the best coaching candidate possible that is a vet DC. I'd hope that he would do that, but I wouldn't bank on it just because we hired Wade.

This. I really hope we search and do not immediately hire Herring. I really would prefer another proven guy. It seems like our young players gravitate to the veteran players and coaches much better. They see tentativeness as weakness especially with coaching, it seems. I would like a guy like Mike Nolan (if Miami hires a 4-3 HC) or Mike Singletary. Both flamed out as HC, but not bad as DC's.

EDIT: Assuming Wade leaves, something I do not think will happen for numerous reasons which I posted on pg 5 here and in another thread.

To play devil's advocate here: We are only fans. We're not family, friends or insiders to Wade. There's no amount of appreciation that we can give Wade Phillips that he can actually feel. He's got much bigger people to answer to. I'm sure he concerns himself with how he answers to Gary Kubiak and to Bob McNair first, before anything else, in as much as he feels a part of the organization.

But winning is something that Wade Phillips concerns himself with, on a personal level, I'm sure. The happiness of the fans is merely a byproduct of fulfilling his own ego and/or pocketbook. It's something that happens only if Wade is self-fullfilled.

In other words, as a mere byproduct, should I feel any compunction to give my loyalty to someone who is neither family nor friend - someone who doesn't know me from Adam?

I am loyal to the team, because we belong to the city - and I feel that bond, whether it is real, or only imagined. Yet I cannot imagine that upper managment (with the exception of perhaps Bob McNair), really cares about me...so who am I to give my heart to them on a personal level?

Fire Kubiak--hire Wade.
Problem solved...

:hides:

c'mon, you knew somebody would say it.

Btw, it's
:sarcasm:

Fire Kubiak--hire Wade.
Problem solved...

:hides:

c'mon, you knew somebody would say it.

Btw, it's
:sarcasm:

Considering what Kubiak minus Wade has brought us over the years, I wouldn't mind that at all if it's the only way to keep Wade. Seriously.

I think that Wade Phillips absolutely deserves a chance to be a HC in the NFL again. If there's a bar one has to reach in wins or winning percentage to be deserving of such a job I'm sure he's reached it.

Having said that I believe that part of the reason Wade has gotten the reputation of not being a very good HC is where he's coached and under what circumstances he's coached. I believed when he came here that he was a great DC but a bad HC who lost all the teams he'd ever led. Looking closer at it I see that he's cleaned up a lot of other peoples messes (New Orleans, Atlanta) and coached for some very dysfunctional organizations where winning can be at best difficult and holding on to the starting job is even harder (Buffalo, Dallas). In Denver he seems to have simply failed to ingratiate himself to "The Elway".

You take the opportunities you can get and I understand that but Tampa Bay isn't exactly what I'd call a great opportunity for a HC. It beats working for Jerry Jones in Dallas or being hired by Al Davis when he was alive but it's not an organization I think that does things right anymore. If I were Wade I'd be thinking that the next time I step into the HC's role I want a reasonable shot at sticking for a while. I know they'll have a lot of salary cap space available but are they willing to spend it or are they just looking at the bottom line? I think if we can win a Super Bowl or even just get to the AFC Championship game this year or next year then his stock will soar even higher.

If I were Wade I'd wait another year. That's just me though. I won't hold it against him if he takes the job. I'll just hope that we don't see another assistant coach with no experience trying to keep this thing together after Wade's gone.

I think that Wade Phillips absolutely deserves a chance to be a HC in the NFL again. If there's a bar one has to reach in wins or winning percentage to be deserving of such a job I'm sure he's reached it.

Having said that I believe that part of the reason Wade has gotten the reputation of not being a very good HC is where he's coached and under what circumstances he's coached. I believed when he came here that he was a great DC but a bad HC who lost all the teams he'd ever led. Looking closer at it I see that he's cleaned up a lot of other peoples messes (New Orleans, Atlanta) and coached for some very dysfunctional organizations where winning can be at best difficult and holding on to the starting job is even harder (Buffalo, Dallas).

You take the opportunities you can get and I understand that but Tampa Bay isn't exactly what I'd call a great opportunity for a HC. It beats working for Jerry Jones in Dallas or being hired by Al Davis when he was alive but it's not an organization I think that does things right anymore. If I were Wade I'd be thinking that the next time I step into the HC's role I want a reasonable shot at sticking for a while. I know they'll have a lot of salary cap space available but are they willing to spend it or are they just looking at the bottom line? I think if we can win a Super Bowl or even just get to the AFC Championship game this year or next year then his stock will soar even higher.

If I were Wade I'd wait another year. That's just me though. I won't hold it against him if he takes the job. I'll just hope that we don't see another assistant coach with no experience trying to keep this thing together after Wade's gone.

The Tampa situation is worse than the Dallas position & look how that turned out. It's one thing to be a fool its another to be an old fool :cowboy1:

I don't know if Wade gets TB job or not. One thing is certain that we do have good coaching staff that other teams are interested in which is a good thing IMO. Last year Dennison, before that Sherman(not pro but) and now Wade. I hope, Wade stays with us however, I do understand if he decided to leave for TB's HC job. To me, Wade deserves another chance to prove himself that he is capable of doing HC and be successful at it.
My thoughts on Wade as a head coach are mixed. When he got the Dallas job, I didn't understand the disapproval by the fans. Wade had always been a winner, couldn't win in the play-offs, but he was a winner. He even got Dallas their only post-season win in the last decade.

But the way his defense laid down on him, makes me wonder how is he at all the other things a head coach has to be good at... like "team building," media management, etc.....

Having said that I believe that part of the reason Wade has gotten the reputation of not being a very good HC is where he's coached and under what circumstances he's coached. I believed when he came here that he was a great DC but a bad HC who lost all the teams he'd ever led. Looking closer at it I see that he's cleaned up a lot of other peoples messes (New Orleans, Atlanta) and coached for some very dysfunctional organizations where winning can be at best difficult and holding on to the starting job is even harder (Buffalo, Dallas). In Denver he seems to have simply failed to ingratiate himself to "The Elway".

In 2013 they will have to spend due to the salary cap floor starting. They will have to spend at least 89% or 107 mill. They will have to spend in 2013, so when they make Wade the head coach, I think he will begin spending to remake his D. He could go after Robert Mathis/Mario to become his Demarcus Ware, sign Brent Grimes to become corner #1, draft LSU CB Morris Claiborne to be CB #2 and that would be shot in the arm talent-wise to the Bucs.

The other thing for Wade to consider is that he is 64 years old. He will be 65 next season. If he turns down the job(which I don't think he does), then he will be 66 the next season. How many more opportunities will he get as a HC? Plus NOW is when he will be at his hottest. He turned the Texans from worst to 2nd. If the Texans drop to 5th, he will look worse. If Wade is sincere about wanting to be a HC, and I think he is, I think he will take the job when offered.

To play devil's advocate here: We are only fans. We're not family, friends or insiders to Wade. There's no amount of appreciation that we can give Wade Phillips that he can actually feel. He's got much bigger people to answer to. I'm sure he concerns himself with how he answers to Gary Kubiak and to Bob McNair first, before anything else, in as much as he feels a part of the organization.

But winning is something that Wade Phillips concerns himself with, on a personal level, I'm sure. The happiness of the fans is merely a byproduct of fulfilling his own ego and/or pocketbook. It's something that happens only if Wade is self-fullfilled.

In other words, as a mere byproduct, should I feel any compunction to give my loyalty to someone who is neither family nor friend - someone who doesn't know me from Adam?

I am loyal to the team, because we belong to the city - and I feel that bond, whether it is real, or only imagined. Yet I cannot imagine that upper managment (with the exception of perhaps Bob McNair), really cares about me...so who am I to give my heart to them on a personal level?

It's called appreciation, and it always stinks when you're not appreciated when you deserve it. People including myself have bitched about Kubiak a lot over the years. Wade comes here and does a fantastic job and really helps to turn this team around. We have never had a true winning season in this history unless you want to claim to that 9-7 season a few years ago which I really don't. When a DC comes over here and in ONE SEASON takes the last place defense into the 1st place defense, that's historical and it's phenominal. Why wouldn't Wade possibly have other teams wanting him after he does something like that?? Why wouldn't he want several Million dollars more per season. That's the objective of a coach. To expect or to look down on a guy for wanting to achieve in his profession is selfish. You didn't have any problems wanting him to achieve here and he did. For a guy that finally made something huge happen in Houston after all these years in one season, he deserves a hell of a lot of respect from fans whether he leaves or not. If he does leave if anything, he deserves a warm farewell.

Kubiak has shown he knows NOTHING about running a defense or hiring someone who can. Phillips came in through the owner and Rick Smith, and if Phillips leaves, I agree with Grams, we're back to the same old **** around here.

hm.......

Frank Bush took us from 22nd to 13th against a tougher schedule.

2010, we dropped to 30th, partly because of injuries (we had just as many injuries in 2010 as we had in 2011).

If you count Cushing missing the first 4 games, Bullman missing the entire season, Barwin getting hurt the first game of the season, Demeco getting injured after KC, Diles getting injured, Wilson getting injured & a whole slew of others.... Mario played in 3 games he shouldn't have.

I say partly, because the injuries didn't stop us this year. I think Wade's 35 years of experience taught him to stay aggressive while working through injuries. The players we had acquired were all downhill players & they tried to play more zone coverages which took our play-makers out of the game.

Not trying to take anything from Wade Phillips & what he's done, but we had an awful lot of talent on this team before he got here & you're not going to go from 30th to 2nd without some help. Jacksonville also went from 28th to 6th, probably because of the schedule, & would have been higher if their offense could stay on the field & score points.

I don't see the 2011 draft any different than Rick Smith's previous drafts. We've gone defense heavy before, that's why we have so much talent on the defensive side of the ball. JJWatt & Brooks Reed in the first & second looked an aweful lot like Mario Williams & Demeco Ryans in 2006.

Jjo & Manning probably had more to do with McNair getting all up in Rick Smith's business than it had to do with Wade Phillips. Smith had not been able to sign any big name free agents until then...... Maybe it was Wade Phillips' reputation, I don't know. But if we make it to the AFC Championship game, I think we'll have enough clout to attract Free Agents & coaches..... like a new DC.

Wade is old. He doesn't have time to sit around and wait for the perfect situation. Dude probabvly just wants one more shot.

hm.......

2010, we dropped to 30th, partly because of injuries (we had just as many injuries in 2010 as we had in 2011).

If you count Cushing missing the first 4 games, Bullman missing the entire season, Barwin getting hurt the first game of the season, Demeco getting injured after KC, Diles getting injured, Wilson getting injured & a whole slew of others.... Mario played in 3 games he shouldn't have.

I say partly, because the injuries didn't stop us this year. I think Wade's 35 years of experience taught him to stay aggressive while working through injuries. The players we had acquired were all downhill players & they tried to play more zone coverages which took our play-makers out of the game.

Not trying to take anything from Wade Phillips & what he's done, but we had an awful lot of talent on this team before he got here & you're not going to go from 30th to 2nd without some help. Jacksonville also went from 28th to 6th, probably because of the schedule, & would have been higher if their offense could stay on the field & score points.

I don't see the 2011 draft any different than Rick Smith's previous drafts. We've gone defense heavy before, that's why we have so much talent on the defensive side of the ball. JJWatt & Brooks Reed in the first & second looked an aweful lot like Mario Williams & Demeco Ryans in 2006.

Jjo & Manning probably had more to do with McNair getting all up in Rick Smith's business than it had to do with Wade Phillips. Smith had not been able to sign any big name free agents until then...... Maybe it was Wade Phillips' reputation, I don't know. But if we make it to the AFC Championship game, I think we'll have enough clout to attract Free Agents & coaches..... like a new DC.

It was either Manning or Joseph, or both, but they said the reason they were attracted to Houston was because of Wade Phillips being the defensive coordinator.

...Mike Singletary. Both flamed out as HC, but not bad as DC's.

Singletary was never a DC. He was a LB coach in Baltimore, they added the "Assistant HC" title to get him in San Francisco (it has to be a promotion for him to go to another team) but he was probably a little more than a LB coach.

I would love to give him a shot as DC in Houston. He's a Houston Native, and has a pedigree of winning. Plus he brings that fire & swagger to team that Kubiak doesn't portray.

If we can match his fire to Kubiak's ability to teach, communicate & bring together... who knows?

From the posts I've read, I'm not getting the feeling as much that people aren't appreciative of what Wade has done, but just that there's an overwhelming feeling of frustration and maybe betrayal that as soon as we FINALLY get a formula that works, something comes up to threaten that.

And I am firm in my belief that the timing of it just sucks. It's an emotional time and a key point in the season, and people are responding in a visceral fashion. It's to be expected. That doesn't mean that the fans reacting this way don't have any class.

hm.......

You're like a broken record with your Frank Bush love TK. I don't understand it and I can't explain it. You say you're not trying to take anything away from what Wade has done but I think that's exactly what you're doing. You're trying to say "Look at Frank Bush and the players he had and tell me how they're all that different from the players that Wade had and the defense he got out of them". Wade's defense was #2 in the NFL. Frank's was #13.

Frank failed when he had a rash of injuries, Wade succeeded. That's pretty much the end of it as far as I'm concerned but I have to admit that we all have our pet rehabilitation projects. I'm a Ron Dayne advocate so who am I to throw stones.

Wade is old. He doesn't have time to sit around and wait for the perfect situation. Dude probabvly just wants one more shot.

65 isn't any or less viable than 66. If he's going to jump at the first chance he's offered it will more than likely be another temporary caretaker position where the organization uses him and then throws him away. Stupid move in my opinion but his call to make.

65 isn't any or less viable than 66. If he's going to jump at the first chance he's offered it will more than likely be another temporary caretaker position where the organization uses him and then throws him away. Stupid move in my opinion but his call to make.

exactly. People talk about everyone wants to be top dog, well Wade is top dog here despite not being HC. This is the perfect storm for him, right now, right here (no pun intended with current weather). :snowday:

And the odds are against that in the modern era, isn't it? I heard something on 790 where they analyzed the ages of coaches in the last 10 to 20 years, and if I remember correctly they claimed that nobody has ever been hired as a 64 year old. There are tenured coaches who have reached that age, but not as a hire. I think the closest that came to that was Joe Gibbs who was hired at 63 years old (but of course he got the job because of prior experience with the organization).

Marv Levy was last hired at 61.

Tom Coughlin is 65 but he took the Giants job at 58.

Pete Carroll took his last job at 58, too.

Does anyone know if Wade is going with our team to Baltimore, or is his interview going to interfere with our team this time? I am actually asking if he can travel due to his illness, but this situation makes me so angry that he would do this right before the biggest game we've ever played! I understand advancement but right now, this is his job and he's not done yet here! It's disrespectful to our guys who have grown to depend on him! He could have waited till our season ended before starting this drama!

And if you don't believe this is a distraction, just turn on the radio, tv, news channels! Instead of spending the week being excited about our team, we have to hear abt our coach wanting to leave! I'm going to believe that our guys are stronger from all the adversity they have made it through, and they can put Wade's issue behind them and get the job done!

Go Texans !!!! WE BELIEVE!!!!

Does anyone know if Wade is going with our team to Baltimore, or is his interview going to interfere with our team this time? I am actually asking if he can travel due to his illness, but this situation makes me so angry that he would do this right before the biggest game we've ever played! I understand advancement but right now, this is his job and he's not done yet here! It's disrespectful to our guys who have grown to depend on him! He could have waited till our season ended before starting this drama!

And if you don't believe this is a distraction, just turn on the radio, tv, news channels! Instead of spending the week being excited about our team, we have to hear abt our coach wanting to leave! I'm going to believe that our guys are stronger from all the adversity they have made it through, and they can put Wade's issue behind them and get the job done!

Go Texans !!!! WE BELIEVE!!!!

The game is on Sunday, Wade's interview is on Friday in Houston. I'm sure he will be driving with the team and that hi interview will have no effect on his ability to coach the D on Sunday.

And the odds are against that in the modern era, isn't it? I heard something on 790 where they analyzed the ages of coaches in the last 10 to 20 years, and if I remember correctly they claimed that nobody has ever been hired as a 64 year old. There are tenured coaches who have reached that age, but not as a hire. I think the closest that came to that was Joe Gibbs who was hired at 63 years old (but of course he got the job because of prior experience with the organization).

Marv Levy was last hired at 61.

Tom Coughlin is 65 but he took the Giants job at 58.

Pete Carroll took his last job at 58, too.

Yup correct, I posted yesterday that Coughlin is the oldest but he has been with the team for awhile. He is too old, simple as that. Will NOT happen.

For everyone who complains about how they hate the timing of this just doesnt understand the business that is the NFL. No one here could or should hate on Wade. If I came into any job and kicked ass with aspirations of moving up, you bet your ass I would entertain any potential offer as would any of you if you were smart.

Wade has done a good job here, I don't blame him for looking for jobs elsewhere if he really wants to be a HC. I do blame him for doing it at the wrong time, I think it's a distraction for the team we didn't need.

just my .02

I really can't believe that nobody has realized that there is a really simple solution here.....let Wade be head coach next year and Gary can be the offensive coordinator, then simply flip flop the next year. You know...everyone's happy!

For everyone who complains about how they hate the timing of this just doesnt understand the business that is the NFL. No one here could or should hate on Wade. If I came into any job and kicked ass with aspirations of moving up, you bet your ass I would entertain any potential offer as would any of you if you were smart.

There's a lot of carry-over I think from the recent Kevin Sumlin loss/hiring as far as how the fans are taking this. A lot of Texans fans are Cougar fans (or at least casual Cougar fans) and this just played out over at UH. Nobody wants to see the Texans come out and crap themselves ala UH in the Conference USA championship game against Southern Mississippi. It may seem entirely unrelated but the timing couldn't be worse as far as the publics perception is concerned.

It is the timing and the fact that he hasn't even finished coaching his 1st year here. I don't think anybody is against Wade taking another hc job if that is what he is set on doing. I really don't think Bob McNair would have hired Phillips if he knew he would only stay 1 year. If Wade leaves it will be a big turnover on personel and who knows what players will want to follow him. Hiring Wade could turn out to be more destructive than helpful to the team in the long run if he leaves after his first year.

Phillips has been a hc numerous times so it isn't like he hasn't had a shot at it. So what is the rush? Finish out your contract here. It is his hometown. I guess I thought the guy would come here at his age and finish out his career. There are way more negatives with Wade leaving after such a short time than positives. Kubiak will get extended (again) because of this year and that tops that list for me. Of course this could all be Bobs fault if he promised Wade the hc job here thinking it would be a rebuilding year here switching to the 3-4 and the Texans would only be mediocre. Kubiak would be fired and Wade hired. But Peyton didn't play. Tennessee and Jacksonville are rebuilding. The Texans defense made a 30 place improvement. That all adds up to playoffs and Kubiak staying.

Am I selfish to want Wade to stay? Yep. So what. This is the team I have 10 years invested in along with alot more than that with the Oilers. Barring a superbowl win this year I will not like Wade for leaving after 1 year. In the end I don't think it will matter because I don't think Wade will be hired as a hc this year.

Back