Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The Wade Phillips Thread - Status: Not a Candidate for Tampa

Thank you for posting this. I would not have known had this been thrown in with that other 25 page thread that says he is interviewing for the job.

Same here! Thanks for starting the thread.

I don't have as much free time as some people, and I can't read every thread and every page. So I basically have to skim the topics when I have the time. If this was only allowed to be talked about in the 25 page "Wade to interview for TB job", then I wouldn't have known this.

That's not what he said. He still has ambitions, he just dont want to be a distraction right now.

I said it in a thread a month or so ago - Wade Aint Goin Nowhere.

Im gonna say it again ..... Wade Aint Goin Nowhere!

This team is gonna be a contender for the next 5-7 years as constructed.

This lingering perception of the man is probably close to universal outside of Houston (see article below.) But I still believe there is something else that was the coup de grace that led to yesterday's announement.

BTW, one thing that struck me strange was that, unlike most coach conferences and previous Wade "interviews," he ended this one (the uncut version) not with "one last question now" or "thank you" or something cordial............he ended it abruptly and with an irritated "That's it!" as he had already begun to walk off the podium........like I posted before, despite not being hit up with a question concerning his upcoming Tampa interview, he didn't look like he wanted to be there then to begin with. Just my take on what I saw yesterday.

Why did Wade Phillips pull out of Bucs' coaching search?

JANUARY 13, 2012

Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips informed the Bucs tonight that he would not go through with the interview for Tampa Bay's head coaching post originally scheduled for Friday afternoon.

By taking his name out of consideration, Phillips said he would be better positioned to focus on the Texans' weekend matchup with the Ravens in the AFC divisional playoffs, avoiding even the appearance of a distraction.

But it's fair to ask whether Phillips' reasons are more complex.

The obvious question here: Did Phillips sense he was not a primary candidate for this job? That could well be the case. No one around the NFL seemed convinced Phillips was the clubhouse leader for Tampa Bay, even though he's certainly qualified. For one, the other coaches who have met with the Bucs to this point are seen as stern disciplinarians, something the Bucs seem to be seeking given their gross lack of discipline and youthful roster. Phillips is seen as someone who ran a bit of a loose operation when he coached the Cowboys, who fired him midway through the 2010 season.

The notion that Phillips did not have an inside track at landing the job is being espoused elsewhere, too, including by Sports Illustrated's Peter King.

As we eat our popcorn, chilidogs and drink beers, it is so cool that we can search for words (or lack of them) and body language (or lack of it) or any other clues (even if we make them up) to determine the future.

It has been a good year (or not).

I've heard Tampa fans speculating that Wade was simply being used as someone who would evaluate the team for their ability to switch to a 3/4, and nothing else.

As we eat our popcorn, chilidogs and drink beers, it is so cool that we can search for words (or lack of them) and body language (or lack of it) or any other clues (even if we make them up) to determine the future.

It has been a good year (or not).

I swear, Foster sounds like you sometimes. :brando:

I'm just glad that Wade stays.
I hope we can build a dynasty here for the decade. :texflag::kingkong:

I'm one that thinks there's more to his medical condition than meets the public eye! Truthfully, it's none of our business! But, every interview I've listened to he sounds weak and out of breath. He just does not look well TO ME!! JMO!

yep, none of our business.

But, that being said, none of us ever know what the next year will bring to us, including Wade. So hope our boys take full advantage of the situation and play their hearts out, inspired by Wade and the city of Houston!

Very glad to hear this news. Hope it means that he plans on being the Texans DC for awhile.

Another HC position closes in St. Louis and the Dolphins have announced their list of candidates......Bears special teams coach Dave Toub, Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin and Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer.

Another HC position closes in St. Louis and the Dolphins have announced their list of candidates......Bears special teams coach Dave Toub, Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin and Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer.

Zimmer deserves a head coaching opportunity. He's done well everywhere he's gone.

Norv Turner is sticking with the Chargers, so that's closed. The Colts and the Jags are virtually non-considerations. And the Raider's positions has already been previously discussed.

Credit the power of the ninja for Phillips staying in Houston

Texans defensive end Antonio Smith revealed today that the power of the ninja was the true reason behind Wade Phillips' sudden decision to pull out of the competition for the Tampa Bay head coaching job.

"When he was asleep, he didn’t even know I was there," said Smith ..err... the Texans Ninja Warrior. " I spoke very silent ninja words to him. It shoots and hits right at the top of the medulla oblongata and it made him do exactly what I wanted him to do.”

Smith also said what everyone else was thinking in terms of the potential impact of Phillips leaving the Texans after one season.

“I’m happy about it," said Smith. "You don’t want to say it and everybody just walked around like it wasn’t a reality, but nobody wants him to leave, especially not yet. We still got some winning to do."

I'm not sure if it was the Lycan Wolf Ninja or Smith's basic warrior ninja who whispered sweet nothings in Wade's ear but who cares, it worked.

http://www.examiner.com/houston-tex...wer-of-the-ninja-for-phillips-staying-houston

All I want to know is whether GP loves Wade again.....

:spit:

You know GP... once he calms down all will be forgiven.

LOL. Bastids.

I don't love him. I suspect him even more. Lipstick on his collar, comes home late, says he's been "out with friends" when I ask him where he's been.

Ya' know though, if he's pissed off about the coaching situation...one of several things might be going on:

(A) He might have been sat down by Texans front office personnel and told he could hit the bricks NOW if he went through with the interview. Kubiak doesn't give a ****, he's just a head coach. But Bob McNair? Bob brought Wade into the fold. I wonder if there was a Don Corleone moment where Wade was told he'd sign his name or blood would be on the contract instead. It's speculative, maybe a bit fantastical, but it seems plausible given his attitude at the presser. Maybe he knew he wasn't a lock for the position, and he didn't want to gamble and get booted form Houston. He blinked, in other words. I dunno. Speculative, fantastical, and sensational. True? Probably not.

(B) He found out through the agent grapevine that he wasn't the lock he might have thought he was, and pestered by the waste of his time...he backs out and he's unhappy with how he looks in the media after semi-gloating about being a HC again. Realizes he has kids who look up to him and need him NOW, and he backs out with a bit of a gruff reaction to it. Plausible.

(C) If A is true, he might pack it in and not give much of a crap vs Ravens. Feeling he's already delivered and didn't get the double whip cream and two cherries on top like he expected, he might slack off and not give his "A" game this weekend.

(D) If B is true, he might come out with both barrels blastin' and therefore trying to show that the Bucs were foolish to dismiss him or not have him ranked higher. This would be "I told ya' so!" payback he could send Tampa Bay's way.

(E) Maybe his doctors told him he couldn't handle the job in his condition.

(F) Maybe he got bored with the whole idea altogether.

Lots of "What if's" but what ISN'T a "what if" is how he has been campaigning for a HC job most of the latter part of the season...while not "really" campaigning for a HC job.

All in all, he's skunked around and while he hasn't done the dirty...he's ben flirting with the skirts too much.

Do I love him? Ha! I don't trust him. Let's re-visit this episode after our year is over and let's see what he does next season if things are going well (let's see if he keeps his yapper shut or if he repeats his HC job campaign again). Then we can talk about forgiveness. Until then, he needs to get our guys in fitting condition and call a good game Sunday.

Spot on GP.

I'll just appreciate the time he's here, if/when he leaves it'll be a new situation. But hey, coaches & players come and go, it's how the league works, I have no problem with that. :)

Never underestimate the imagination of a Texans' fan.

Really?

The players are obviously ecstatic about Wade's decision to not interview with the Bucs.. they were obviously distraught about the possibility of Wade not returning for 2012.

It's the same thing with a lame duck Head Coach... if you believe in that.

Honestly, I don't give half a damn about his motives; I'm just glad he's staying. We would have been hard pressed to find someone who could fill his shoes, as established by the Herring experiment.

The response from the players tells me it was a bigger distraction than what they are letting on.

Professional or not, to believe that a distraction was not created from the top down, is simply delusional. Worries about scheme continuity. Worries about jobs being lost......players and coaches........who will follow him. Will today's players fit tomorrow's new defensive plans. Worries about repeating a good defensive draft. Worries about confidence after losing the defensive brain trust. Worries about Kubiak returning to the pre-Wade era. Worries about crapping your pants if things don't work out. Everyone, would be having some worries and would be worrying about not being able to stop worrying. And that's before even worrying about the bills piling up from all the psychotherapy sessions. :kubepalm::toropalm:

Professional or not, to believe that a distraction was not created from the top down, is simply delusional. Worries about scheme continuity. Worries about jobs being lost......players and coaches........who will follow him. Will today's players fit tomorrow's new defensive plans. Worries about repeating a good defensive draft. Worries about confidence after losing the defensive brain trust. Worries about Kubiak returning to the pre-Wade era. Worries about crapping your pants if things don't work out. Everyone, would be having some worries and would be worrying about not being able to stop worrying. And that's before even worrying about the bills piling up from all the psychotherapy sessions. :kubepalm::toropalm:

Great post.. on top of all that, I remember listening to a bunch of players saying they play the way they play for Kubiak & for Wade. If Wade's not here, or they think he may not be here.. some of them lose that reason to play the way they've been playing. They'll lose whatever that was that made them dig deep & bring that other level.

Spot on GP.

I'll just appreciate the time he's here, if/when he leaves it'll be a new situation. But hey, coaches & players come and go, it's how the league works, I have no problem with that. :)

Spot on??
Which scenario are you agreeing with?
GP cooked up about half a dozen.
:tinfoil:
Damn GP
...and I thought Stephen King had a gruesome imagination...
:D

And who knew that Antonio Smith knew words like "medulla oblongata"...??:shrug:

The Ninja continues to surprise...

Spot on??
Damn GP

Wade had more fun when he was half-ass campaigning for a HC job than he is now that he knows he was probably never a serious candidate and thus wasted his time AND looks like a rube for being conned into even agreeing to an interview.

Hopefully this shuts him down, sits him down, and he gets to the business of using his energies to help the Texans win vs. Ravens.

After all this mess, it clearly looks like Kubiak has the keys to this team and he's a lock at HC here for a long, long time--I say this in reference to the other thread where people pondered which guy was more valuable, Gary or Wade? I had said Wade is greater, but dang if Wade didn't go and pull this latest stunt and make Gary look a foot or two taller than Wade because of it.

The way Wade stumbled in and out of his HC campaign trail this season, he has to think he's better off just being a d-coordinator and letting guys like Childress get sucky HC jobs that are dead-end HC jobs to begin with.

I'm ecstatic. This is GREAT news for me, for us, for the players.

Great post.. on top of all that, I remember listening to a bunch of players saying they play the way they play for Kubiak & for Wade. If Wade's not here, or they think he may not be here.. some of them lose that reason to play the way they've been playing. They'll lose whatever that was that made them dig deep & bring that other level.

That pisses me off actually.

Spot on??
Damn GP

The entire speculative scenario, nicely summed up instead of the usual 'present one scenario as truth' :)

Call it an attempt to present a situation objectivity, I like that :)

Back