Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

The Wade Phillips Thread - Status: Not a Candidate for Tampa

He did his job really well, there is no question! But his job that he is paid to do is not over until the end of our seAson! He shouldn't be even thinking about where he is going next! He should be concentrating on his team he has now! It's just disrespectful and wrong to be doing this at this time!

He doesnt owe anyone another year no matter how bad your feelings are hurt. He came in and did his job really well and if he gets a HC job he should take it if he wants to give it another go

Look. I don't like what Wade has been quoted as saying and I don't like the timing of the whole mess. That is my opinion. You have yours. That is what makes a message board intersting. Now lets just agree to disagree.

He did his job really well, there is no question! But his job that he is paid to do is not over until the end of our seAson! He shouldn't be even thinking about where he is going next! He should be concentrating on his team he has now! It's just disrespectful and wrong to be doing this at this time!

He is doing the job he has been paid to do and will continue to carry out his current duties. To say he shouldnt be even be thinking about another job just shows you dont understand business in general and certainly not how the NFL works. It is far from disrespectful or wrong.

He has been a head coach for 4 different teams already. So I don't know about the "wait" for his shot at being HC. It seems like more of a "look at me and the job I have done" sort of thing. An ego stroking. Bad timing and a need to be recognized for the job he has done. I don't have to like it or agree with it. I still say Wade will be here next year. Just don't like the way he is handling the whole situation at this point in time.

Really, so you think that Wade Phillips was able to dictate and control when the Bucs wanted to hire a new HC?

With all the same points being argued over and over, it's obvious no one is going to cede their opinion...I think this thread has made it into the :deadhorse category.

I'm as disappointed as the next guy, and the timing of it stinks. It's definitely something that fans of winning teams have to get used to, though. This really is business as usual in the NFL, and we Texans fans have not been exposed to it because...well, for the obvious reasons that our team has traditionally sucked.

I can't talk trash about Wade, though. Yeah, I had hoped for a so-called "hometown discount" or whatever, and was really hoping that he was done being a head coach and would just be content to bring a championship to Houston. But those are my feelings projecting on to a man that none of us knows on a personal level.

But I cannot dog the guy and praise him at the same time. Even if it's just one season, it's been awesome and certainly something that has set this franchise on a new course. For 9 freakin' seasons we have had to endure perpetual mediocrity. But now we are not only looking at a division winner and playoff team, but a WINNING playoff team. Those are so many positives that I refuse to disrespect Wade because I'm disappointed in the potential outcome of things.

Like Herv mentioned awhile back, it's this kind of season that can often put teams on the right path. So even if it's just a year, it's been fantastic, and it's not even over, yet!

Keep your chins up, Texans fans! Our team is still playing games in JANUARY!!! :texflag:

My thoughts on Wade as a head coach are mixed. When he got the Dallas job, I didn't understand the disapproval by the fans. Wade had always been a winner, couldn't win in the play-offs, but he was a winner. He even got Dallas their only post-season win in the last decade.

But the way his defense laid down on him, makes me wonder how is he at all the other things a head coach has to be good at... like "team building," media management, etc.....

That was just one real down year for him as HC. With any team in any given year, there are always some team has unexpected down year due to talents, coaching, and etc. Should he be HC again, he needs to go to the team that he can grow with. TB just may be a good fit for him as they may be looking to rebuild in a longer term than past teams that he worked as HC. But this is just my opinion. What I am saying is that he does deserves an another shot to be HC again and that is all I am saying.

He is doing the job he has been paid to do and will continue to carry out his current duties. To say he shouldnt be even be thinking about another job just shows you dont understand business in general and certainly not how the NFL works. It is far from disrespectful or wrong.
With all due respect, I am not stupid!
I know how business works and pretty much how the NFL works. If u don't believe the timing is bad, that is fine! I disagree with you. I can do that! I'm not on this island alone! I don't like the way it's been handled or the way he talked about it! Obviously he can look for another job, he only has a years contract! Anything that takes his mind off our game this week, is bad timing! Interviewing for a job can do that! Just my opinion!

I just want to say thanks Wade for dragging this organization out of mediocrity.

If you get the TB job I will become a fan of TB as my 2nd team.

Of course selfishly I hope you bomb the interview. Although I doubt that happens.

If you dont get the TB job it will only be because of your age. You're the best candidate for the job.

Of course selfishly I hope you bomb the interview. Although I doubt that happens.

Pour a laxative in his coffee Friday morning! Give him an extra strong irish coffee instead of a regular one! Lock him in his office! Plant a cell phone on him and make it go off a dozen times in the interview! I hope somebody in the Texans front office reads this.

A source told ESPN.com senior NFL writer John Clayton that Phillips' deal is worth $2.1 million over three years. The contract makes Phillips the highest-paid defensive coordinator in the NFL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5992848

Just wanted to post this link to a couple of stories of when Wade was first hired with the Texans

"I don't think they could've picked a better guy," Bum Phillips said in a phone interview on Wednesday night. "And I don't think Wade could've picked a better job to come to. He's going to get to work with a guy who he knows and respects. That, to me, makes all the difference in the world. It's a great deal for Wade and a great deal for Houston."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20110105-texans-hire-wade-phillips-cowboys-save-money-but-might-lose-coaches.ece

BTW, Tampa Bay is doing the classic over swinging back the other way in its search. They had the youngest coach in the NFL and after his flame out, they are going all the way to the other extreme of interviewing the oldest coaches they can find.

Hey, dudes if you just stop reacting and conduct a full and through search, you might find an actual good coach...just saying.

Marty Shottenheimer is 68 years old and the Bucs are going to interview him.
Dick Vermeil (75) must be getting a call from the Bucs soon. What's Marv Levy (86) up to lately?

The Tampa situation is worse than the Dallas position & look how that turned out. It's one thing to be a fool its another to be an old fool :cowboy1:
Tampa is a rudderless pirate ship. Wade should demand the head Coach/GM jobs. Like his dad had with the Oilers. Someone has to assume control of this shipwreck. Without control, this job would be a sinkhole.

If Wade stays, he needs to get a big raise. He's making $700k/year while Kubiak is pulling $3 mil. Gary should make more, he's the head coach. But not 4X Wade. Phillips should make close to $2 mil a season. Maybe that would cool his heels from looking for any head coaching job. And Tampa could be one of the worst, right now.

Dick Vermeil (75) must be getting a call from the Bucs soon. What's Marv Levy (86) up to lately?

Tampa is a rudderless pirate ship. Wade should demand the head Coach/GM jobs. Like his dad had with the Oilers. Someone has to assume control of this shipwreck. Without control, this job would be a sinkhole.

If Wade stays, he needs to get a big raise. He's making $700k/year while Kubiak is pulling $3 mil. Gary should make more, he's the head coach. But not 4X Wade. Phillips should make close to $2 mil a season. Maybe that would cool his heels from looking for any head coaching job. And Tampa could be one of the worst, right now.

Is 700k/year is an average NFL DC makes? Seems to me too little if Kubiak is making 3m/year. When you think about how much of impact Wade made to our D, he should be making more than current $$$.

Go Texans!!!

Is 700k/year is an average NFL DC makes? Seems to me too little if Kubiak is making 3m/year. When you think about how much of impact Wade made to our D, he should be making more than current $$$.

Go Texans!!!

Not sure where I read it, but I think Wade is the highest paid DC in the NFL.

A source told ESPN.com senior NFL writer John Clayton that Phillips' deal is worth $2.1 million over three years. The contract makes Phillips the highest-paid defensive coordinator in the NFL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5992848

Just wanted to post this link to a couple of stories of when Wade was first hired with the Texans

"I don't think they could've picked a better guy," Bum Phillips said in a phone interview on Wednesday night. "And I don't think Wade could've picked a better job to come to. He's going to get to work with a guy who he knows and respects. That, to me, makes all the difference in the world. It's a great deal for Wade and a great deal for Houston."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20110105-texans-hire-wade-phillips-cowboys-save-money-but-might-lose-coaches.ece

I am about 95% sure that Wade's salary should be 2.1 million per season becaue I know there are plenty of million plus asistants in the league.

I am about 95% sure that Wade's salary should be 2.1 million per season becaue I know there are plenty of million plus asistants in the league.
That makes sense, because I thought Gregg Williams (Saints DC) made $2 million.

So, he is making 95% sure that 2.1m/year instead of 700k/year? If this is the case, not much of $$$ issue or is there? Kubiak's 3m/year is not really high for HC average right? If Kubiak's salary is on lower side and should Texans continue to win in the post season, Texans' FO need to reconstruct coaches salary. And, send extra money to me to visit Houston. lol

Go Texans!!!

According to this article he isn't.

A Closer Look

In spite of the million-dollar salaries of former high-profile NFL defensive coordinators, NFL defensive coordinators typically earn six-figure salaries. As of September 2011, Houston Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips is the highest-paid defensive coordinator earning approximately $700,000 yearly under a three-year, $2.1 million deal.

http://www.ehow.com/info_12036363_average-salary-nfl-defensive-coordinator.html

I know how business works and pretty much how the NFL works. If u don't believe the timing is bad, that is fine! I disagree with you. I can do that! I'm not on this island alone! I don't like the way it's been handled or the way he talked about it! Obviously he can look for another job, he only has a years contract! Anything that takes his mind off our game this week, is bad timing! Interviewing for a job can do that! Just my opinion!

With all due respect I didnt say you were stupid. You say you understand business and how the NFL runs but there is some disconnect between that statement and you being upset on how this is playing out. If you understood the business you wouldnt be upset about it.

According to this article he isn't.

A Closer Look

In spite of the million-dollar salaries of former high-profile NFL defensive coordinators, NFL defensive coordinators typically earn six-figure salaries. As of September 2011, Houston Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips is the highest-paid defensive coordinator earning approximately $700,000 yearly under a three-year, $2.1 million deal.

http://www.ehow.com/info_12036363_average-salary-nfl-defensive-coordinator.html

The same articles says that average d-coordinator salary is 850,000. I am comfortable saying e-how is wrong.

Edit: Los Angles times article from 2005

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/feb/10/sports/sp-chow10

The top D-coordinator made 1.7 million then..Do you really think that top guy makes 1 million less in 2012?

The same articles says that average d-coordinator salary is 850,000. I am comfortable saying e-how is wrong.

Something else that could be making this a little tough to get a handle on is the fact that Wade's contract with the Cowboys ran through the 2011 season, and from what I could find reportedly paid him $3.7 Million for the final year (or at least that's the number that seems to have been reported the most).

Typically, coaching contracts in the NFL work differently than players contracts, and they either continue to be paid after being fired, or reach a buyout in regard to any remaining amount. This means that unless there was something unusual about Wade's contract in Dallas, it's very possible Jerry Jones is paying the difference between Wade's HC salary in Dallas and whatever his Texans salary is for 2011. It also means that (assuming the $3.7 Milliion is correct) the Texans could have paid Wade a 2011 salary that ranged anywhere from $0 to $3.7 Million, and Wade's total coaching income for the year would be unaffected.

Something else that could be making this a little tough to get a handle on is the fact that Wade's contract with the Cowboys ran through the 2011 season, and from what I could find reportedly paid him $3.7 Million for the final year (or at least that's the number that seems to have been reported the most).

Typically, coaching contracts in the NFL work differently than players contracts, and they either continue to be paid after being fired, or reach a buyout in regard to any remaining amount. This means that unless there was something very unusual about Wade's contract in Dallas, it's very possible Jerry Jones is paying the difference between Wade's HC salary in Dallas and whatever his Texans salary is for 2011. It also means that (assuming the $3.7 Milliion is correct) the Texans could have paid Wade a 2011 salary that ranged anywhere from $0 to $3.7 Million, and Wade's total coaching income for the year would be unaffected.

Yes, this I understand. Even if Wade's 2011 Texans salary were zero, the salary would be 2.1 for 2 years or still well below market value.

Edit: Los Angles times article from 2005

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/feb/10/sports/sp-chow10

The top D-coordinator made 1.7 million then..Do you really think that top guy makes 1 million less in 2012?

It's very strange, because this ESPN article confirms the $2.1 million figure over three years:

This is a perspective from the Tampa sports media:

Reflective_logo_No_Tagline.png

bucs-beat.gif

JANUARY 09, 2012
Wade Phillips' defense not a great fit for Bucs

The Bucs are expected to discuss their open head-coaching post this week with former Cowboys coach and current Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips.

It's not shocking that Tampa Bay would take an interest in Phillips given his experience as a head coach -- something the Bucs are looking for -- and his expertise on defense.

But it's his defensive philosophy that makes this an odd match. Phillips' system, which has helped overhaul Houston's defense, is a 3-4 defense that relies on big outside (stand-up) linebackers rushing off the edges. It can work well in the right situations, but Tampa Bay does not seem the ideal place to run it.

The Bucs' acquired and drafted their defensive personnel to run a 4-3, Tampa 2-style system -- the same one the Bucs have run since the late 1990s under Tony Dungy and Monte Kiffin. Recently-fired head coach Raheem Morris added numerous elements and coverages to the defense after taking over in 2009, but the scheme still is based on the same concepts up front: A one-gap, penetrating attack with four down linemen.

Can you envision Adrian Clayborn playing as a stand-up outside linebacker in a 3-4, at times dropping into coverage? Would Gerald McCoy succeed as a 3-4 defensive end when most in the NFL views him as a one-gap penetrator? These are the kinds of questions the Bucs would face when considering Phillips.

In Phillips' recent coaching stops -- in San Diego, Dallas and Houston -- he's run 3-4 defenses. It should also be pointed out that each of those defenses, including this year's with the Texans, have been pretty solid. Phillips has a well-earned reputation as someone who can get the best out of defenses, and maybe that would be true in Tampa Bay, too. And there's nothing that says the Bucs can't change their scheme and run a 3-4, something that Houston did after hiring Phillips before this season. There's also no requirement that the Bucs change to a 3-4 just because they hire Phillips, though it seems unlikely they would not.

Phillips is certainly qualified with his decades of coaching experience at both the pro and college level. But just looking at this hypothetically, it's right to wonder whether his defense would be the right fit for the Buccaneers.

We'll soon find out how much that affects his chances of landing this job.

JANUARY 09, 2012
Marty Schottenheimer to interview with Bucs Tuesday

It's going to be a busy week of interviews for the Bucs as they continue to search for a new head coach.

Former Vikings head coach Brad Childress, 55, is meeting with the Bucs today. Despite reports that Childress could be considered for a position of offensive coordinator, the Times confirmed he is interviewing for Tampa Bay's head coaching job.

Marty Schottenheimer, 68, is scheduled to meet with the Bucs owners and general manager Mark Dominik on Tuesday, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen. Schottenheimer served as the head coach and general manager of the United Football League's Virginia Destroyers this year and went 3-1 during an abbreviated season. He was fired in 2007 after leading the San Diego Chargers to a 14-2 record and suffering a loss in the second round of the playoffs.

Houston Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, 64, is scheduled to interview with the Bucs in Houston Friday. The Texans play in the AFC Divisional playoff in Baltimore on Sunday.

Phillips has done a remarkable job in his first season with the Texans, taking them from 30th in the NFL in total defense to second (281 yards per game). The Texans have already set a single-season record for sacks (41) and rank 10th in takeaways (26).

Phillips is 82-59 as an NFL head coach with the Broncos, Bills, Cowboys, and Saints (interim).

Tampa Bay already has interviewed former Green Bay Packers and Texas A&M head coach Mike Sherman, 57, last Wednesday in Texas. Titans defensive coordinator Jerry Gray, 49, met with the Bucs in Houston last week. Gray has no previous head coaching experience.

Childress coached the Vikings from 2006-10, winning two NFC North titles. His overall record was 39-35 before he was fired after a 3-7 start in 2010.
In 2009, the Vikings went 12-4 and reached the NFC Championship game before losing to the eventual Super Bowl champion Saints.

Interviewing Wade this week is all on the Bucs. They established the pace and schedule, so it's their fault that Wade has to take any amount of time away from preparing for the Ravens.

I won't dog Wade for this one, but I will certainly never root for the Bucs. Screw them. Hope the Saints continue to dominate them for many years.

This is a perspective from the Tampa sports media:

Reflective_logo_No_Tagline.png

bucs-beat.gif

JANUARY 09, 2012
Wade Phillips' defense not a great fit for Bucs

JANUARY 09, 2012
Marty Schottenheimer to interview with Bucs Tuesday

Sounds like a lot of the same things folks were saying about our defense before wade came...

Kinda funny because you can replace some of those names and you'd see the exact same comments here pre-wade...

Maybe one of them will do their research and see that Wade adjust his scheme to his personnel...

Last edited:
It's very strange, because this ESPN article confirms the $2.1 million figure over three years:

I am fine with being wrong, but my guess is -ehow copied from ESPN, who got it wrong first. I refuse to believe Marvin Lewis was making 1 million 10 years ago and the highest paid is $700,000 now.

I am fine with being wrong, but my guess is -ehow copied from ESPN, who got it wrong first. I refuse to believe Marvin Lewis was making 1 million 10 years ago and the highest paid is $700,000 now.

I think another ESPN article provides the information needed to sort of close this rabbit trail. Thank Dom Capers for something

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3843754

"Capers spent the past year as a special assistant and secondary coach of the New England Patriots. He is still owed $2.6 million by the Dolphins for the 2009 season; he was hired by Miami in 2006 and was defensive coordinator in 2007.

While the Packers are getting an undisclosed discounted salary for this year, a source said the team will pay Capers in excess of $2 million for 2010"

I believe what you're saying. It is logical that the $2.1 million figure is annual based upon the contracts with with DCs around the league.

Maybe one of them will do their research and see that Wade adjust his scheme to his personnel...
Wade had a ton of talent to work with (Mario, Cush, Barwin, Smith), dibs on any free agency $$$ spent (Joseph, Manning), and the lions share of draft choices (the top 5 selections, including Watt & Reed). The decision making power he yielded in in regards to player allocation and acquisition is really unprecedented for a defensive coordinator. I don't think Wade had close to that power in Dallas as a head coach.

Would Wade have the ability to make all of these calls in Tampa? I don't know. Even if he does, I wouldn't expect an instant makeover that we saw here. Everything Phillips touched seemed to turn to gold. I was quietly optimistic that he could turn this defense into a top 10-15 defense (and further improvement in 2012 with a full offseason). But from the #30 to the #2 defense in the league? Without the benefit of an offseason to install the defense? That's insane. Duplication can't reasonably be expected by Tampa or any other franchise that would bring Wade in as head coach. Not to mention, as head coach Wade would be expected to oversee the entire organization and not just the defense. Anyone interviewing Phillips should understand that while he is a premier defensive coach, the Texans defensive turnaround had a lightning-in-a-bottle element to it.

Bad timing is what it is. But I don't know how many times this can be explained to you that teams are allowed to interview candidates right at this point in time in the season and they do this stuff every year. Kubiak did the same thing as an OC when he was still coaching with Denver when they were in the post season. Did you have a fit about how bad the timing was then when it involved the Texans getting a new HC? Probably not.

Wade had a ton of talent to work with (Mario, Cush, Barwin, Smith), dibs on any free agency $$$ spent (Joseph, Manning), and the lions share of draft choices (the top 5 selections, including Watt & Reed). The decision making power he yielded in in regards to player allocation and acquisition is really unprecedented for a defensive coordinator. I don't think Wade had close to that power in Dallas as a head coach.

Would Wade have the ability to make all of these calls in Tampa? I don't know. Even if he does, I wouldn't expect an instant makeover that we saw here. Everything Phillips touched seemed to turn to gold. I was quietly optimistic that he could turn this defense into a top 10-15 defense (and further improvement in 2012 with a full offseason). But from the #30 to the #2 defense in the league? Without the benefit of an offseason to install the defense? That's insane. Duplication can't reasonably be expected by Tampa or any other franchise that would bring Wade in as head coach. Not to mention, as head coach Wade would be expected to oversee the entire organization and not just the defense. Anyone interviewing Phillips should understand that while he is a premier defensive coach, the Texans defensive turnaround had a lightning-in-a-bottle element to it.

If they have the reported $55 million in cap space, they could let Wade shop for some groceries...cut or move or demote their current players that don't fit the scheme...the Bucs might throw all their eggs into the Wade Phillips basket and gamble that the Wade they're getting is the Houston Wade, not the Dallas Wade.

I don't think his experience with us was lightning in a bottle. He was given full control of the defense and he and Rick Smith made hay with that privilege. The draft picks, the free agent signings, etc.

There's nothing here, IMO, that says "All signs point to Wade NOT being the Bucs coach since they don't have enough talent for him to start with."

It's plausible that they go after him because of his record of turning defenses around, with the hopes that they can get an o-coord to become their version of Kubiak. It would be the Houston process in reverse.

Since the subject of Coordinator salaries has come up, here is the Jet's OC's salary:

Brian Schottenheimer interviewed last Friday for the job, and the Jets were hoping he'd get it so they wouldn't have to pay any of the $3.2 million (two years) remaining on his contract. Chances are, he reached a settlement with the Jets.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7449066/brian-schottenheimer-new-york-jet-offensive-coordinator

1.6 million a year for an OC. That's pricey for that production. Can't believe they gave that guy an extension this year.

If they have the reported $55 million in cap space, they could let Wade shop for some groceries...cut or move or demote their current players that don't fit the scheme...the Bucs might throw all their eggs into the Wade Phillips basket and gamble that the Wade they're getting is the Houston Wade, not the Dallas Wade.

I don't think his experience with us was lightning in a bottle. He was given full control of the defense and he and Rick Smith made hay with that privilege. The draft picks, the free agent signings, etc.

There's nothing here, IMO, that says "All signs point to Wade NOT being the Bucs coach since they don't have enough talent for him to start with."

It's plausible that they go after him because of his record of turning defenses around, with the hopes that they can get an o-coord to become their version of Kubiak. It would be the Houston process in reverse.

History does not support the Bucs all of a sudden shelling out a grocery list. The salary cap floor is a joke and will let the Bucs continue to keep their money tightly socked away. With the team the way they are now....and without an OK for a heck of a "grocery list," Wade would need a psychiatric check to even entertain the job. His final HC legacy would forever be stamped in concrete to mirror and affirm memories of his embarassing Cowboys experience.

History does not support the Bucs all of a sudden shelling out a grocery list. The salary cap floor is a joke and will let the Bucs continue to keep their money tightly socked away. With the team the way they are now....and without an OK for a heck of a "grocery list," Wade would need a psychiatric check to even entertain the job. His final HC legacy would forever be stamped in concrete to mirror and affirm memories of his embarassing Cowboys experience.

I'd sell my legacy for a HC's salary.

:coffee:

Here is my take. I am fine with Wade looking for another HC job. While I want to keep him, you cant force people to ignore opportunities. See "Horrible Bosses".

On the other hand I am quite annoyed that the Buc's cant respect our playoff run. You cant wait, 1, 2, 3 more weeks to speak with Wade? You have to ****** with our **** right now? You are the 4-12 Bucs. I think you can wait another week or 3.

I'd sell my legacy for a HC's salary.

:coffee:

Somehow, I don't think that is Wade's primary motivation. I believe he bemoans the hit that his reputation has taken with his stint as Cowboys HC. I believe it is important to him, for whatever reason, to prove that he is capable of running the whole show and is not another Dom Capers type (although most would see nothing wrong with being one the NFL's top defensive masterminds).

Wade Phillips: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Head Coaching Candidate

Wade Phillips will interview for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' head coaching position on Friday, which means we get to talk about the possibility of Wade Phillips as a head coach. Phillips is a very hot name in coaching land right now because he's turned around the Houston Texans' defense quickly and efficiently, despite losing his best player to injury early in the season. Wade Phillips has consistently put out great defenses, and that's certainly a good thing. He has also been successful as a head coach, at least in the regular season, with a career 82-59 record and two division titles in 9 years.

Of course, there's some reason to criticize Wade Phillips too. He's had five head coaching opportunities in total, two of them as interim coach, and he has had success - but it hasn't been overwhelming. There are questions about the way he runs teams and whether he can control a roster and run a tight ship - something the Buccaneers are supposedly looking for after Raheem Morris.

Wade Phillips has a terrific track record as a defensive coordinator, but being a good coordinator and being a good head coach are two different things. Can he translate his success as a coordinator into playoff wins and even a Super Bowl? He hasn't done that so far.

Previous Experience

Graduate assistant, University of Houston, 1969
Defensive Coordinator, West Orange-Stark High School, 1970-1972
Linebackers Coach, Oklahoma State University, 1973-1974
Defensive Line Coach, University of Kansas, 1975
Defensive Line Coach, Houston Oilers, 1976-1980
Defensive Coordinator, New Orleans Saints, 1981-1985
Interim Head Coach, New Orleans Saints, 1985
Defensive Coordinator, Philadelphia Eagles, 1986-1988
Defensive Coordinator, Denver Broncos, 1989-1992
Head Coach, Denver Broncos, 1993-1994
Defensive Coordinator, Buffalo Bills, 1995-1997
Head Coach, Buffalo Bills, 1998-2000
Defensive Coordinator, Atlanta Falcons, 2002-2003
Interim Head Coach, Atlanta Falcons, 2003
Defensive Coordinators, San Diego Chargers, 2004-2006
Head Coach, Dallas Cowboys, 2007-2010
Defensive Coordinator, Houston Texans, 2011

Star-divide

Why Wade Phillips should be the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Head Coach:

He's an experienced winner
Experience seems to be the number one criterium for a head coach right now, and Wade Phillips certainly has it. He's not Marty Schottenheimer, but then no one is. But he has an 82-59 regular season record and a 1-5 record in the playoff. He has consistently won games (though not in the playoffs), and he's done so with multiple teams. He has experience, he knows what it takes to win, and he's done it before. That's what the Bucs are looking for, judging by the guys they're bringing in.

He can turn around a defense and do it quickly

Whatever doubts you have about Wade Phillips' abilities as a head coach, there should be no doubts whatsoever about his abilities as a defensive coordinator. He has done well as a coordinator in every spot he's coached, and has managed to build very good defenses in very short times. Yes, he runs a 3-4 defense - but it's a one-gap 3-4 defense that would be fairly easy to transition to for the Bucs' current personnel.

He will put together a good staff
Wade Phillips knows people. Lots and lots of people. He's been in the league forever and then some, and he's played for everyone and their mother. It's ridiculous how many teams this guy has coached for, but he's been exposed to anyone and everyone. That means one thing: he has the connections to put together a good coaching staff, and that's key to succeeding in the NFL.

Why Wade Phillips should not be Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Head Coach

Discipline?
Wade Phillips has never been known as a guy who can instill a sense of discipline into a team. In fact, when he was fired in Dallas the main complaint was that he seemed to have lost the team and couldn't instill discipline. Sloppy play and penalties characterized that 2010 Cowboys team. With the Bucs coming off a season marred by sloppy play, penalties and a team that seemed lost, does a coach who suffered from those same problems in his previous job work?

Playoffs?! We talking about playoffs!?
As with Marty Schottenheimer, Wade Phillips has not had success in the playoffs. In fact, he's only won one playoff game in his career. That's not very good. He's also been fired in three different cities, and hasn't ever lasted more than four years with one team as a head coach. Is this a concern for the Bucs? Well, right now a winning season would be nice regardless of any playoff performance, and Phillips has certainly shown he can deliver that.

Offense?
The Bucs want to build their team around Josh Freeman. They want to find the right guys to play with him, and the right coach to develop him. Hiring a defensive-minded head coach wouldn't really work with that objective. Can Wade Phillips help develop Josh Freeman, and can he bring in the right assistant coaches for Freeman to work with?

@SI_JimTrotter (Jim Trotter):
Marty has already reached out to a couple of people about the OC job were he to land in TB. Neither is named Brian.

Pretty sure Schottenheimer is getting the job.

I hope this thread title doesn't change to "Wade to interview for Oakland/Raiders job." That would suck. I hope this thread dies Saturday in a ball of flame and doesn't change its title because Wade says he is staying. And he is for real. :pissed:

Wade Phillips just doesn't get it
I have criticized Wade Phillips for many coaching foibles. Rightly so, I must add. He is, how do I say this, not a strong head coach.

Laziness is not one of his flaws.

I have no doubt that he has spent a good hunk of every day since Saturday with film of Joe Flacco and Ray Rice playing on a loop, trying to figure out how to pressure and blitz and harass Baltimore's offense enough to give the Houston Texans a fighting chance in Sunday's playoff game. He undoubtedly, by this point, has a plan — a mix of blitzes and zone coverages and previously unseen wrinkles.

Phillips does this exceptionally well, this defensive coordination, as he proved once again in Houston.

Barely a year after being booted from head coaching duties in Dallas in disgrace after his team gutlessly quit on what frankly had been a gutless four years, he is the toast of Houston.

This is where his daddy coached and so they were bound to love him. He made them love him more by transforming a Texans defense that ranked 30th in 2010 into one of the best in the NFL this season. They won a playoff game, finally, in large part thanks to his defensive abilities. His side of the ball held things together as injuries forced them to start a rookie quarterback.

So what does it say that Houston is wary of him right now? What does it say that they do not think he has done everything to prepare the Texans?

It says that Wade has not learned, and never will. Continued....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Houston-Texans-Wade-Phillips-job-search-shows-he-doesnt-get-it-011212

Yes, it's not entirely correct since it says he is going to interview IN Tampa, but here is some media perspective. Can't say I completely disagree.

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Texans DC Wade Phillips, who was scheduled to interview for the Buccaneers HC job Friday, told Tampa Bayt hat he was pulling out of process

Back