Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

The Wade Phillips Thread - Status: Not a Candidate for Tampa

Distraction-smaction if the players are that mentally incapable of not focusing on what their job is this Sunday, then that is on them. These things happen all the time. This isn't college, it's the NFL...

Do you think the Patriots players are giving a huge rat's arse that Josh McDainels is going to coordinate the offense this weekend and not O'Brien? I would bet my house that the hoodie has them focused and ready to go and that is the job Kubiak needs to do this Sunday.

Wade is going for an interview, not leaving the team before Sunday so it really shouldn't matter what Wade does on Friday as long as the game plan has been set for Sunday...

It is the timing and the fact that he hasn't even finished coaching his 1st year here. I don't think anybody is against Wade taking another hc job if that is what he is set on doing. I really don't think Bob McNair would have hired Phillips if he knew he would only stay 1 year. If Wade leaves it will be a big turnover on personel and who knows what players will want to follow him. Hiring Wade could turn out to be more destructive than helpful to the team in the long run if he leaves after his first year.

Mario Williams anybody....Tampa defiantly has the cap space...

Wade has done a good job here, I don't blame him for looking for jobs elsewhere if he really wants to be a HC. I do blame him for doing it at the wrong time, I think it's a distraction for the team we didn't need.

just my .02

So you believe he should wait to look for a HC job until all the positions are filled?

It's not like it's out of the norm. The Broncos OC is interviewing for the Jags job. The Patriots current OC has already accepted a job - and participated in the press conference introducing him. Heck, we interviewed Kubiak during a playoff run by the Broncos after the 2005 season. Most, if not all, jobs will be filled before the Super Bowl. It's just the way the NFL works, and like injuries, it's just something teams have to deal with.

I really can't believe that nobody has realized that there is a really simple solution here.....let Wade be head coach next year and Gary can be the offensive coordinator, then simply flip flop the next year. You know...everyone's happy!

If the two of them would do it I wouldn't be the slightest bit upset about that. Just give them both the title "Head Coach" and make them each all-powerful on their side of the ball. Whoever's players are on the field at the time is the man and he calls the shots. :cowboy1::pirate:

I really can't believe that nobody has realized that there is a really simple solution here.....let Wade be head coach next year and Gary can be the offensive coordinator, then simply flip flop the next year. You know...everyone's happy!

and in all the years of NFL have you ever heard of this happening? Ever? with any team?

I face palm you for the thought...:toropalm:

So you believe he should wait to look for a HC job until all the positions are filled?

It's not like it's out of the norm. The Broncos OC is interviewing for the Jags job. The Patriots current OC has already accepted a job - and participated in the press conference introducing him. Heck, we interviewed Kubiak during a playoff run by the Broncos after the 2005 season. Most, if not all, jobs will be filled before the Super Bowl. It's just the way the NFL works, and like injuries, it's just something teams have to deal with.

On top of all that, the Texans had to grant the Bucs the ability to interview him. It's not always a given that teams will grant that permission, so I'm sure Smithiak isn't too concerned about it. I know in the past when we were trying to fill Kyle Shanahan's spot, we were denied permission to interview a few coaches.

Even if it works that way doesn't mean I have to like it, or the fact he could have waited if they really wanted him. Personally I don't think he'll get the job, but that's just me. He doesn't have a history of production good QB's and TB needs just as much as offensive help as defensive.

It's called appreciation, and it always stinks when you're not appreciated when you deserve it. People including myself have bitched about Kubiak a lot over the years. Wade comes here and does a fantastic job and really helps to turn this team around. We have never had a true winning season in this history unless you want to claim to that 9-7 season a few years ago which I really don't. When a DC comes over here and in ONE SEASON takes the last place defense into the 1st place defense, that's historical and it's phenominal. Why wouldn't Wade possibly have other teams wanting him after he does something like that?? Why wouldn't he want several Million dollars more per season. That's the objective of a coach. To expect or to look down on a guy for wanting to achieve in his profession is selfish. You didn't have any problems wanting him to achieve here and he did. For a guy that finally made something huge happen in Houston after all these years in one season, he deserves a hell of a lot of respect from fans whether he leaves or not. If he does leave if anything, he deserves a warm farewell.

Just to be clear: Besides my job as devil's advocate, I feel very appreciative to Bob McNair for hiring Wade Phillips - not so much to Wade, because Wade is just doing his job. A good job is expected with a big name and a big hire like that. Even if Wade had failed I would still love Uncle Bob for it.

But yeah, Wade is looking out for himself and his family, just as I am. Fans should forget the aspect of Wade and his ego. That aspect of Wade is only theory (though we've had some indication of it by recent interviews).

In a magical world of unicorns and rainbows, though, the fan and coaches' relationship should be symbiotic in nature. That's not going to happen...but still... :nicedog:

and in all the years of NFL have you ever heard of this happening? Ever? with any team?

I face palm you for the thought...

Forgot I was on the web, where is that sarcasm smiley again? Really didn't think I would need it though..

On top of all that, the Texans had to grant the Bucs the ability to interview him. It's not always a given that teams will grant that permission, so I'm sure Smithiak isn't too concerned about it. I know in the past when we were trying to fill Kyle Shanahan's spot, we were denied permission to interview a few coaches.

The Texans were required by NFL rules to grant permission. That only applies to a candidate interviewing for a promotion to HC, so that's why the Shanahan replacement was different.

The Texans have the right to approve the time and location of the interview, but they couldn't refuse to grant permission.

Before I got off on my rant, my real question was does anyone know if Wade can fly this soon after his surgery so he can actually get to Baltimore?

Marty Shottenheimer is 68 years old and the Bucs are going to interview him. 200-126 as HC. Probably a healthier 68 than Wade's 65. He is more of a disciplinarian as well. I would think he would have an edge over Wade.

I know its been said before, but what irritates me the most about this situation is that I should be thrilled the Texans won on Saturday. I should be ecstatic and enjoying the win all week. I should be gearing up for the Baltimore game, but I am not.

Instead I am thinking about potential DC coordinators to replace Wade. I am pretty sure Kubes and McNair will hire from within and give Herring the job rather than get someone good. I am all but convinced when Wade leaves the team returns to that 7 or 9 win NFL purgatory and that McNair will extend Kubes this off season and we will get several more years of Kubiocrity in Htown.

You're like a broken record with your Frank Bush love TK.
I was making a point. Thorn said Kubiak has never shown any ability to get someone in here who knows how to run a defense. I offered Frank Bush.
Frank failed when he had a rash of injuries, Wade succeeded.
& that's my point as well. It wasn't the Xs & Os part of the job that Frank Bush failed..... it was having the fortitude to stay true to who you are.
That's pretty much the end of it as far as I'm concerned but I have to admit that we all have our pet rehabilitation projects. I'm a Ron Dayne advocate so who am I to throw stones.

In no way am I saying to bring back Frank Bush. He failed to see what worked & to stick to it, then tried to get his players to be succesful at something they simply weren't.

Kubiak made the same error, by not telling Bush, "stick to that aggressive ****."

Hopefully, Kubiak has learned from Wade & will have the fortitude in the future to tell the next guy what needs to be done if he isn't seeing it himself.

I am all but convinced when Wade leaves the team returns to that 7 or 9 win NFL purgatory and that McNair will extend Kubes this off season and we will get several more years of Kubiocrity in Htown.

This is my nightmare as well. In no way shape or form am I conviced Kubiak can do the complete job. We are where we are at this season because of BOTH Phillips and Kubiak, not just one of them. And I'm not conviced of either of them being able to do the job of head coach if one of them leaves, but for arguments sake, I'd keep Wade ahead of Kubiak just 'cause.

Just to be clear: Besides my job as devil's advocate, I feel very appreciative to Bob McNair for hiring Wade Phillips - not so much to Wade, because Wade is just doing his job. A good job is expected with a big name and a big hire like that. Even if Wade had failed I would still love Uncle Bob for it.

Bob Mcnair has nothing to do with this. He is not a coach, and he is not comparable. Stop trying to use him as some sort of shrine that coaches can't even think to be on the same Universe as. To me, that sounds like a cop out for Flip flopping on a coach. You might as well be like those fair weather fans that only want to care about a team when they're a good team. I mean, would you hate on AJ if he went off to another team to get more money and to be in a better situation?? Coaches coach for the most money and the best situation for them the majority of the time. Everyone keeps acting all "entitled" here for some reason on a franchise that hasn't been to a playoffs until now. How about appreciating who finally got us there??

But yeah, Wade is looking out for himself and his family, just as I am. Fans should forget the aspect of Wade and his ego. That aspect of Wade is only theory (though we've had some indication of it by recent interviews).

Just as every coach does in the history of the NFL. You seem to forget that if the Texans had a horrible defense again, than Wade is probably fired after one season, so it's a two way street. Don't root for any coach on this team than, if they're only name and a face to you that is a nobody the minute that they are somewhere else. And what is this ego that you're talking about?? Wade is one of the most humble coaches around the league and has always been. I never thought I'd see a day where people put Wade and ego in the same sentence.

In a magical world of unicorns and rainbows, though, the fan and coaches' relationship should be symbiotic in nature. That's not going to happen...but still... :nicedog:

If Wade is back next season, what are you going to do than?? Act like he's a god over here and until the next team wants to talk to him?? If he has success here, he is going to be a wanted man around this league. That is how things work. Success on our defense = Teams wanting Wade Phillips. Do you not want success on this defense than?? Well either root for our defense and for Wade to do well here and be happy that he was and appreciative for a great job, or root for our defense just to be merely average so Wade can stay here forever. You can't really have it both ways.

I didn't say anything about 66. Who is to say this ideal situation you speak of becomes available next year? Or the year after? HC jobs usually become available because the franchise is struggling. Good head coaches turn franchises around. If wade considers hgimself a good HC this opprotunity is as good a any other. In the nfl you can win anywhere if you do it right. I don't get what you are saying. This isn't the al davis owned raiders or the jerry owned cowboys. He can win in tampa.
65 isn't any or less viable than 66. If he's going to jump at the first chance he's offered it will more than likely be another temporary caretaker position where the organization uses him and then throws him away. Stupid move in my opinion but his call to make.

Bob Mcnair has nothing to do with this. He is not a coach, and he is not comparable. Stop trying to use him as some sort of shrine that coaches can't even think to be on the same Universe as. To me, that sounds like a cop out for Flip flopping on a coach. You might as well be like those fair weather fans that only want to care about a team when they're a good team. I mean, would you hate on AJ if he went off to another team to get more money and to be in a better situation?? Coaches coach for the most money and the best situation for them the majority of the time. Everyone keeps acting all "entitled" here for some reason on a franchise that hasn't been to a playoffs until now. How about appreciating who finally got us there??

Just as every coach does in the history of the NFL. You seem to forget that if the Texans had a horrible defense again, than Wade is probably fired after one season, so it's a two way street. Don't root for any coach on this team than, if they're only name and a face to you that is a nobody the minute that they are somewhere else. And what is this ego that you're talking about?? Wade is one of the most humble coaches around the league and has always been. I never thought I'd see a day where people put Wade and ego in the same sentence.

If Wade is back next season, what are you going to do than?? Act like he's a god over here and until the next team wants to talk to him?? If he has success here, he is going to be a wanted man around this league. That is how things work. Success on our defense = Teams wanting Wade Phillips. Do you not want success on this defense than?? Well either root for our defense and for Wade to do well here and be happy that he was and appreciative for a great job, or root for our defense just to be merely average so Wade can stay here forever. You can't really have it both ways.

I think its the 1 year and done thing and the timing. We all want the best for Wade but this team comes first over Wade. If he stays another year then at least he will have laid a good foundation here before he leaves. 1 year is nothing.

The NFL goes through phases in which every coaching carousel its either new blood in the coaching ranks or coaching retreads.

I would love to see Marty in the coaching ranks again and for a team with the kind of problems Tampa has had might be a good fit. I don't see why you'd hire someone soft as Wade in that situation.

Still some openings out there, I think some teams will entertain Wade as a HC, but I'd be surprised to see him get any.

I think its the 1 year and done thing and the timing. We all want the best for Wade but this team comes first over Wade. If he stays another year then at least he will have laid a good foundation here before he leaves. 1 year is nothing.

Having the best defensive team in the league with a ton of bad asses we picked up in the off season like Joseph, Manning, Watt, and Reed wasn't leaving this team with a good foundation to you? I don't see how he could have left a "better" foundation than that honestly. We had the best defense in the league this season and have enough pieces to be a really good defense for many years as long as we continue to build it.

Having the best defensive team in the league with a ton of bad asses we picked up in the off season like Joseph, Manning, Watt, and Reed wasn't leaving this team with a good foundation to you? I don't see how he could have left a "better" foundation than that honestly. We had the best defense in the league this season and have enough pieces to be a really good defense for many years as long as we continue to build it.

Players fit schemes.Watt and Reed were specifically selected with a Wade 3-4 in mind. When Wade leaves and if the Texans go outside the organization, the question will be if the players fot the new scheme. Can Watt play as a 4-3 DT or are you now wasting his talent there? Is Reed big enough to play as a 4-3 DE?

We have the pieces in place as long as Wade stays here. The second he leaves, the D regresses big time. The D gave up 28 to Carolina and 19 to Dan Orlovsky.

Players fit schemes.Watt and Reed were specifically selected with a Wade 3-4 in mind. When Wade leaves and if the Texans go outside the organization, the question will be if the players fot the new scheme. Can Watt play as a 4-3 DT or are you now wasting his talent there? Is Reed big enough to play as a 4-3 DE?

We have the pieces in place as long as Wade stays here. The second he leaves, the D regresses big time. The D gave up 28 to Carolina and 19 to Dan Orlovsky.

Exactly. + rep.

Firstly, it seems as if you're getting way to emotional over this. And as far as entitlement, yes, the players, the fans and the city are entitled to the best consumer-based product we can get, and that falls squarely on Bob McNair. Bob hired Kubiak and Bob hired Wade Phillips.

There is no flip-flopping here. It's called being diplomatic, in that there is good reasons for fans to be upset about this whole Wade Phillips business, just as there are a lot of reasons not to be. You're making it sound black and white, while it is very much shades of grey, all things considering.

Moreover, as I've said before, this whole thing with having an NFL team, from the owner(s) to the coaches, to the players and the fans, is symbiotic and circular in the socio-economic sense. As an example, you're seeing a very bad paradigm in Jacksonville, where the whole megillah is out of sync

I doubt I have to go through the whole Houston Texans' story for most people to recall how we all got into this NFL franchise, both financially and socially.

Personally, I don't root for any coaches. Like I'm expected to perform, so are they. There job is to prepare their team to win this city a championship. None of them have done it yet. Bob McNair has not been able to do it yet as an owner.

But, really, everybody has an ego, and more times than not, success and a hightened ego go hand-in-hand. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but Phillips' repeated, "Check my record," leans to the fact that he feels he can get the job done as head coach. That's confidence and that ego. They walk together.

So what? Who cares, really?

What's more, after all of this, I have not bashed Wade one bit - and I don't feel that I've knocked him just because I'm not kissing his feet. Wade is cool. He's great, okay? But whether he stays or leaves there's not a damn thing anyone in here can do about it. Everybody has their own personal reaction, and it will continue that way whether Wade stays or leaves.

Why is it so hard to understand that coaches leave when they get better opportunities?? If your coordinator does well, HE WILL GET OFFERS FROM OTHER TEAMS. It's how the NFL works. Why in the hell did any of you think that this wasn't a possibility the minute Wade was hired if he had a lot of success?? Are you going to tell me that you would rather have hired someone else now?? People complaining are mad if our coaches aren't coaching a great unit, but then when they are so good that other teams want them, they want to be mad because that coach might want to leave. Well then, how about being mad at our owner for not making "Wade" the HC than if this is such a problem?

All of this stuff you're saying about these players like Watt and Reed are a problem at all unless our management are complete dumbasses and hire a DC that runs a 4-3. You don't switch to a 3-4 and then switch right back to a 4-3 the very next season. We have great players here to run the 3-4, so naturally the Texans management will find another guy who runs an effective version of the 3-4. That would be the common sense thing to do, and I can't see the Texans being stupid and hiring a 4-3 guy after we just invested all of this money into players for the 3-4.

Why is it so hard to understand that coaches leave when they get better opportunities?? If your coordinator does well, HE WILL GET OFFERS FROM OTHER TEAMS. It's how the NFL works. Why in the hell did any of you think that this wasn't a possibility the minute Wade was hired if he had a lot of success??

We know this Tex, we know it. But it doesn't mean we have to like it. And it also means if he leaves, our defense will not be as good. No one is saying he doesn't have the right to leave, he does, what we are saying is we don't like it.

As fans, we have the right to like or dislike what the team does, and what players and coaches do as well.

The problem is we have seen several bad DC's here before Wade came. He has only been here a year and if he leaves who's to say they won't revert to hiring another bad DC.

We have seen first hand what a bad DC can do with some pretty solid players.

It was nice to think that our defense would only get better next year. Nice to see the Texans with all - or most of all - the pieces to be a contender for several years.

I really am not confident that the Texans would hire an experienced 3-4 DC to finish what Wade started. If Wade does leave and they hire from within, I think we are screwed - again.

I dunno, interviewing 68 year old Marty gives you the opportunity to announce you just hired Wade Phillips and no, he wasn't all that old after all. it's not like you hired a guy who is about to turn 70.

Must not be pessimistic about this.

The problem is we have seen several bad DC's here before Wade came. He has only been here a year and if he leaves who's to say they won't revert to hiring another bad DC.

Not Wade's problem and it shouldn't be. That would be the fault of Rick Smith and Bob Mcnair if that happened. I'll appreciate the one coach that came here and made us bad ass whether he was here for one season or five seasons. DC's and OC's generate interest if they're one of the best in the league. If you don't want our DC to leave next time, then you're going to have to hope that we're not that good on defense so they won't generate interest, and that is counter productive to the cause.

We have seen first hand what a bad DC can do with some pretty solid players.

It was nice to think that our defense would only get better next year. Nice to see the Texans with all - or most of all - the pieces to be a contender for several years.

I really am not confident that the Texans would hire an experienced 3-4 DC to finish what Wade started. If Wade does leave and they hire from within, I think we are screwed - again.

No reason to feel like we're screwed until Wade does actually leave and we hire someone else that looks like a terrible hire. Just because Wade leaves doesn't mean that we couldn't still hire another great DC that could continue to build a great defensive unit.

We know this Tex, we know it. But it doesn't mean we have to like it. And it also means if he leaves, our defense will not be as good. No one is saying he doesn't have the right to leave, he does, what we are saying is we don't like it.

As fans, we have the right to like or dislike what the team does, and what players and coaches do as well.

Well who would like it if a great coach leaves? Of course no one is going to like it. I just don't see why that coach should be bashed for it or be criticized. It just makes a fan base look like a bunch of spoiled brats that don't deserve to have a good coach in my opinion when I hear fans acting like that. I've criticized Kubiak for years in here because he caused us to miss the playoffs in one season and was a constant under achiever. I never felt that Kubiak was owed anything since he didn't earn or achieve anything here really. I finally see a coach come here and accomplish greatness on his unit in just one season, so for that I'll support the guy here or wherever else he goes. Normally it takes at least two to three seasons to transform a defense around like Wade has, but he did it in one off season with a lockout. I don't see what it matters that he was here for only one season. He did what he was asked to do and put the Texans in a great position to have a great defense going forward. What more could you ask?? If that's not enough, then nothing ever will be.

Why is it so hard to understand that coaches leave when they get better opportunities?? If your coordinator does well, HE WILL GET OFFERS FROM OTHER TEAMS. It's how the NFL works. Why in the hell did any of you think that this wasn't a possibility the minute Wade was hired if he had a lot of success?? Are you going to tell me that you would rather have hired someone else now??

All of this stuff you're saying about these players like Watt and Reed are a problem at all unless our management are complete dumbasses and hire a DC that runs a 4-3. You don't switch to a 3-4 and then switch right back to a 4-3 the very next season. We have great players here to run the 3-4, so naturally the Texans management will find another guy who runs an effective version of the 3-4. That would be the common sense thing to do, and I can't see the Texans being stupid and hiring a 4-3 guy after we just invested all of this money into players for the 3-4.

What in our management's history has led you to think they are NOT run by a group of dumb-asses. They hired Dom Capers the "Defensive genius" and then let him hire Chis Palmer as his OC? Really? What has Chris Palmer ever done to warrant that hire at that point? Nothing. Then When kubes the offensive genius comes in, he brings in Richard Smith?! Then he goes with Frank Bush? The management oked these decisions. They let one sided head coaches hire neophytes to run the other side of the team and it failed miserably. What makes you think when Wade leaves they will get any better at this? Fool me once shame on you. Fool me 4 times, shame on me.

Here is the problem: Wade doesn't run a 3-4, he runs a hybrid 4-3/3-4 system. Wade plays a gap 3-4 which other 3-4 teams don't play. In a typical 3-4, the DEs are asked to clog rather than rush. In a typical 3-4, the NT is asked to clog, not penetrate. This style does not suit Antonio, Watt, or Cody. Wade's 3-4 is so unique very few coordinators use it. Trying to find someone else who is good to run it will be next to impossible. So, since the texans are pretty much screwed in this regard, they will be pretty much forced to hire Reggie Herring. Expect Kubes, McNair, and Wade to pat him on the back and sell us that he is ready to go.

And to answer your question: "Are you going to tell me that you would rather have hired someone else now??" If I had known at that point that Wade was a one year and done guy, then yeah, I would not have wanted him here. I would have rather we have gone after someone like Jerry Gray who plays a more common 4-3. Had Gray done well and left, we could have found other good people to run a solid to good 4-3 unit. Wade's 3-4 is so unique only two people can run it well: Wade and Bum Phillips.

And to answer your question: "Are you going to tell me that you would rather have hired someone else now??" If I had known at that point that Wade was a one year and done guy, then yeah, I would not have wanted him here. I would have rather we have gone after someone like Jerry Gray who plays a more common 4-3. Had Gray done well and left, we could have found other good people to run a solid to good 4-3 unit. Wade's 3-4 is so unique only two people can run it well: Wade and Bum Phillips.

Well sorry, but that was your fault than for thinking that Wade couldn't potentially leave after one season. That could happen in any season when a DC has a great unit. You guys wanted this defense transformed into a great unit, well Wade managed to do that in one off season. ONE! So essentially you're saying you would have rather had it taken a few seasons and this team to have gradually gotten better. Well if that happens, we most likely don't win this division and probably don't make the playoffs. Would that have been better for you?? You guys wanted a defense turned around and you got it faster than expected. With results like those, comes attention. Wade caused enough attention to warrant interest from other teams.

I'm tired of hearing that this defense is doomed if Wade leaves. That's just crazy. The Ravens have been through like 3 or 4 DC's in the last ten years and have not missed a beat. As long as we continue to pick up pieces for this defense and hire someone good again, we'll be fine. Just because the Texans had bad hires in the past doesn't automatically mean that will happen every time. They did just hire Wade, so they got that right. They could possibly get another great hire.

What in our management's history has led you to think they are NOT run by a group of dumb-asses. They hired Dom Capers the "Defensive genius" and then let him hire Chis Palmer as his OC? Really? What has Chris Palmer ever done to warrant that hire at that point? Nothing.

What? Palmer OC'd the nations most prolific offense at Colgate University. Then went on to have a very good record as HC at University of New Haven. Then he OC'd two playoff Jaguars teams do well enough to be hired as HC for the Browns. Palmer certainly did not have nothing on his resume. He also had a lot of experience and reputation for working with QB's and the Texans were planning on Carr.

I'm tired of hearing that this defense is doomed if Wade leaves. That's just crazy. The Ravens have been through like 3 or 4 DC's in the last ten years and have not missed a beat. As long as we continue to pick up pieces for this defense and hire someone good again, we'll be fine. Just because the Texans had bad hires in the past doesn't automatically mean that will happen every time. They did just hire Wade, so they got that right. They could possibly get another great hire.

Possibly? LOL. As long as Kubiak doesn't have any say so in who they hire, and it's Rick Smith who does the hiring, we stand a better chance. Kubiak has a proven record when it comes to hiring DCs, and it's a piss poor one.

Well sorry, but that was your fault than for thinking that Wade couldn't potentially leave after one season. That could happen in any season when a DC has a great unit. You guys wanted this defense transformed into a great unit, well Wade managed to do that in one off season. ONE! So essentially you're saying you would have rather had it taken a few seasons and this team to have gradually gotten better. Well if that happens, we most likely don't win this division and probably don't make the playoffs. Would that have been better for you?? You guys wanted a defense turned around and you got it faster than expected. With results like those, comes attention. Wade caused enough attention to warrant interest from other teams.

Come on man. You are an angrier person than this. :)

Wade doing this during the playoffs is wrong, plain and simple. If he had even an ounce of respect for Houston and this franchise, he'd have said that he would love to interview but after the season is over. He is here to do a job and is being paid like a head coach to do this job. He is screwing over this entire city and worse yet, he is screwing over his players by allowing his mind to be somewhere else (on potentially getting the TB job) instead of where it needs to be in finding a way to stop Ray Rice and Baltimore.

This is a low class move, and I don't think I can ever view Wade the same way. Maybe if this were a city that had won Super Bowls before (like the NE analogy that everyone likes to mention) or that had even been in the playoffs regularly, maybe I could understand. But this is our first real chance in the playoffs in almost two decades, and Wade has the chance to go down in Houston football history. Instead, he screws us all over with this BS.

Once again, screw Wade Phillips.

Yeah, it probably was my fault for thinking Wade would stick more than a year. I am just not as optimistic as you. In order for Wade to have left the mark he would have needed to stick around 2-3 seasons. Then he could have left and left the team with a winning mentality and with a solid set of coaches ready to move the team forward. Being one and done in such a unique Defense leaves us screwed. Who is ready to step in right now? I don't think anybody. Had Wade stuck around he could have groomed Vance Joseph(who i think is the next big one) to step into his shoes. Vance Joseph could then have stayed for a couple of years as he groomed the next guy and so forth. That's how the Ravens and really good Defensive teams operate. The top guy grooms the next one in line.

The Ravens are different becuase they have played a very traditional 3-4 and have a solid track record of constantly finding and promoting talent. The only good coordinator Htown has had in 10 years has been Wade. And without Wade, the Texans become the Cleveland Browns: one lone playoff appearance and years of mediocrity.

Wade doing this during the playoffs is wrong, plain and simple. If he had even an ounce of respect for Houston and this franchise, he'd have said that he would love to interview but after the season is over. He is here to do a job and is being paid like a head coach to do this job. He is screwing over this entire city and worse yet, he is screwing over his players by allowing his mind to be somewhere else (on potentially getting the TB job) instead of where it needs to be in finding a way to stop Ray Rice and Baltimore.

This is a low class move, and I don't think I can ever view Wade the same way. Maybe if this were a city that had won Super Bowls before (like the NE analogy that everyone likes to mention) or that had even been in the playoffs regularly, maybe I could understand. But this is our first real chance in the playoffs in almost two decades, and Wade has the chance to go down in Houston football history. Instead, he screws us all over with this BS.

This logic works for college coaches, but it doesn't wash in the pros. Coordinators that are in the playoffs always interview during the playoffs unless the job opens up after the playoffs.

BTW, Denver was in the playoffs when Kubiak interviewed with the Texans.

Possibly? LOL. As long as Kubiak doesn't have any say so in who they hire, and it's Rick Smith who does the hiring, we stand a better chance. Kubiak has a proven record when it comes to hiring DCs, and it's a piss poor one.

We could always elevate our offensive line coach to DC. We could run the wide 9 technique.

This logic works for college coaches, but it doesn't wash in the pros. Coordinators that are in the playoffs always interview during the playoffs unless the job opens up after the playoffs.

BTW, Denver was in the playoffs when Kubiak interviewed with the Texans.

I'd argue it makes even less sense for the pro coaches to do it though. In college, the coach needs to be hired for recruiting purposes. Once the head coach is fired in college, recruiting commitments are right around the corner, so it is paramount that the new coach gets in asap and starts visiting recruits.

There is nothing like this in the pro game. Sure, the coach needs to begin preparations for the NFL draft, but one could also argue that most of the draft decisions are made by the GM thus negating the need for getting the new head coach in there.

You can make whatever arguments you want but if the Phillips family really loved Houston as much as they claim, this would be a no brainer. Wade needs to focus on the playoffs. That's it. Putting his mind on anything else other than that is a disservice to the entire city and his entire team.

I'm a little ashamed so many people are defending Wade's actions...

I'd argue it makes even less sense for the pro coaches to do it though. In college, the coach needs to be hired for recruiting purposes. Once the head coach is fired in college, recruiting commitments are right around the corner, so it is paramount that the new coach gets in asap and starts visiting recruits.

You could argue until you're blue in the face, won't change the fact that that is just the way it is.

Teams out of the play-offs are looking for coaches now. They begin interviewing now. Wade would like to be considered for a head coaching opportunity... the time is now.

This comes off as "work here as our HC or be damned."

Do you think that JJ Watt was exciting to watch this season? What about Reed? We didn't have Mario remember. Did you enjoy these guys? How about those free agents we finally snagged?? I'm sure you enjoyed Jonathan Joseph all season make it to a Pro Bowl. Well guess what, that is Wade Phillips who made that happen. He helped convince our management staff to finally get free agents and he also eyeballed some great talent like Watt and Reed that we drafted that will be very good here for years to come. Whether he is here for one season or more, he did great things for this team now and for the future as far as this roster goes. You didn't think Wade would get a job offer this soon obviously by your tone, but when you have one of the best turn around impacts to a new franchise that hires you that quickly, you become a hot commodity again. I don't recall you guys complaining when this Texans defense was kicking ass from week to week. Well all of that stuff you cheered for caused Wade Phillips to become a lot more intriguing and valuable. And more than likely he is going to cash in on that value as he should. I think some of you truly do forget how much more money a few million dollars a year for several years is. Money talks and no one is going to turn down that much money. Wade is the son of Bum Phillips, not Sam Walton.

There is nothing like this in the pro game. Sure, the coach needs to begin preparations for the NFL draft, but one could also argue that most of the draft decisions are made by the GM thus negating the need for getting the new head coach in there.

To clarify, I said I understood the logic behind fans getting pissed when a college coach ditches his team right before a bowl game. I don't understand this logic at all when it comes to pro coaches.

NFL teams fire coaches on the Monday after the season ends. They conduct interviews during the playoffs. If they want a good coordinator, then they interview one from a team that's in the playoffs. Once the interview's over, then the coordinator goes back to work.

It may not make sense to you, but it's just the way it's always been. There are only 32 of these jobs and they pay a lot better than coordinator jobs, so any guy that's worth his salt wants one.

You can make whatever arguments you want but if the Phillips family really loved Houston as much as they claim, this would be a no brainer. Wade needs to focus on the playoffs. That's it. Putting his mind on anything else other than that is a disservice to the entire city and his entire team.

I'm a little ashamed so many people are defending Wade's actions...

I remember hearing Wade say he didn't think he'd get a head coaching job again. I never heard him say that he doesn't want a head coaching job again. I also never heard him say that he wanted to be a DC in Houston until he retires. To expect loyalty from a coordinator is pretty naive.

Some of you guys are taking this way too personal.

This comes off as "work here as our HC or be damned."

Do you think that JJ Watt was exciting to watch this season? What about Reed? We didn't have Mario remember. Did you enjoy these guys? How about those free agents we finally snagged?? I'm sure you enjoyed Jonathan Joseph all season make it to a Pro Bowl. Well guess what, that is Wade Phillips who made that happen. He helped convince our management staff to finally get free agents and he also eyeballed some great talent like Watt and Reed that we drafted that will be very good here for years to come. Whether he is here for one season or more, he did great things for this team now and for the future as far as this roster goes. You didn't think Wade would get a job offer this soon obviously by your tone, but when you have one of the best turn around impacts to a new franchise that hires you that quickly, you become a hot commodity again. I don't recall you guys complaining when this Texans defense was kicking ass from week to week. Well all of that stuff you cheered for caused Wade Phillips to become a lot more intriguing and valuable. And more than likely he is going to cash in on that value as he should. I think some of you truly do forget how much more money a few million dollars a year for several years is. Money talks and no one is going to turn down that much money. Wade is the son of Bum Phillips, not Sam Walton.

I don't think you get it. Nobody here that I know of doesn't appreciate what Wade has done here. It is the idea of only 1 year and walking away. 1 year is nothing. I don't like the idea of losing coaches and players after 1 year of success. Wade can prevent that by staying one more year. And I don't think it has anything to do with money. I really think it has everything to do with his ego.

I just saw on ESPN (noon on Monday)
that The Bucs also want to talk to Marty Schottenheimer. I'd bet they would take him before Wade, or we can hope for that anyways!

I don't think you get it. Nobody here that I know of doesn't appreciate what Wade has done here. It is the idea of only 1 year and walking away. 1 year is nothing. I don't like the idea of losing coaches and players after 1 year of success. Wade can prevent that by staying one more year. And I don't think it has anything to do with money. I really think it has everything to do with his ego.

I get it. I just don't think it's realistic. Coordinators by are always looking for a head coaching job. If a guy can turn around the second worst defense to the third best, then that'll be one of the best candidates. Just the nature of the beast.

Coordinators are like backup QB's. You shouldn't get attached to either one because they all want to be "the guy" somewhere else. Coordinator is a stepping stone job.

So a man that is about to be 70 in a few years should have to "wait" for his shot at being a HC again?? Sure, because for DC's head coaching vacancies are just waiting there for them every off season right?? Don't give me this crap that Wade shouldn't take a job because he has been here for only one season. He'll make several Million more dollars per season as a HC and 98% of coaches in the NFL that are coordinators all want to be HC's.

This one year stuff is just BS. I've seen tons of different coaches come and go to different teams for one or two seasons because they find better opportunities. This happens every season with teams all over the league. You guys act like this is your first season to watch the NFL. If you think that Wade is so valuable here, than ***** to Mcnair for not making Wade the HC and making Gary Kubiak an OC than. After all, Mcnair is the owner who decides who coaches here. Coaches just coach wherever they have the best situation that also pays a lot. If Wade could be the HC he'd be here. He can only be a DC here though, and to expect him to turn down a head coaching job is extremely naive and unrealistic.

So a man that is about to be 70 in a few years should have to "wait" for his shot at being a HC again?

He has been a head coach for 4 different teams already. So I don't know about the "wait" for his shot at being HC. It seems like more of a "look at me and the job I have done" sort of thing. An ego stroking. Bad timing and a need to be recognized for the job he has done. I don't have to like it or agree with it. I still say Wade will be here next year. Just don't like the way he is handling the whole situation at this point in time.

He doesnt owe anyone another year no matter how bad your feelings are hurt. He came in and did his job really well and if he gets a HC job he should take it if he wants to give it another go

Back