Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

Sarah Barshop‏@sarahbarshop 17h17 hour

Bill O’Brien said RB Alfred Blue played over rookie RB D’Onta Foreman because he had a better week of practice.
This is likely true as Formen skipped one of the sessions.
I might also suggest rookies skipping out would be sternly frowned upon by superiors.
I know if I skipped out of my job, there would be consequences.

Exactly why I posted this same opinion when it was first announced that he was absent from the team practice on Friday as part of the protest.

Good analysis. OB doesn't put up with that if you are a rookie. Reminds me of the whole

"I am DJ Swearinger. I am a second round draft pick. I don't play special teams."
And OBs response:
"Nice to meet you DJ. Here are your walking papers."

Fertitta-Center_111400.jpg

That statue looks like something from "Forbidden Planet".

Well, this is shaping up to be a wild week with the Stros on the verge of a WS title and Watson playing out of his mind yesterday (He's got a lot of the "talking heads" going all gaga over him!), and now the Brown trade this evening! Just wondering how this is all going to "shake out." Enjoy the ride everyone! :)

Well, this is shaping up to be a wild week with the Stros on the verge of a WS title and Watson playing out of his mind yesterday (He's got a lot of the "talking heads" going all gaga over him!), and now the Brown trade this evening! Just wondering how this is all going to "shake out." Enjoy the ride everyone! :)

We cut Kendall Lamm. Is Clark going to be able to play come Sunday or has the Jullie'n Davenport era begun?

if all PR is good, McNair should be ecstatic. Remember when Jerry Jones was headlines? Pshh!

We cut Kendall Lamm. Is Clark going to be able to play come Sunday or has the Jullie'n Davenport era begun?

Man, I didn't even know that had happen! I would have to think Clark is well enough to play this week and should start, but they are sure "skating on thin ice" with this O-line! Davenport is not ready to play anywhere on the line, let alone LT, and needs a good off season of conditioning and development to play OT in the NFL IMO. BOB's using him as an extra blocking TE on some plays is about as much as I care to see him out there right now. It's just enough to give him a taste of what to expect without leaving him out "on an island" trying to pass protect for Watson against an NFL DE! Scary thought, and one that could end Watson's season, or even his career, in a heartbeat!

I'm still trying to figure out what happened to Lamm this season and why he has fallen down the depth chart so far. During the off season "they" (Coaches, media, etc...) were saying he was in great shape and looked really good in practices and was in line to get one of the OT spots. Then, after the 1st game where the whole O-line played horrible, he was sent to the bench, never to be heard from again! So, was he injured and we just haven't heard about it or was he just over hyped during the off season and wasn't really any good to begin with? It's looking more now like the latter which only opens up more questions about O-line talent evaluation and coaching with this team.

Man, I didn't even know that had happen! I would have to think Clark is well enough to play this week and should start, but they are sure "skating on thin ice" with this O-line! Davenport is not ready to play anywhere on the line, let alone LT, and needs a good off season of conditioning and development to play OT in the NFL IMO. BOB's using him as an extra blocking TE on some plays is about as much as I care to see him out there right now. It's just enough to give him a taste of what to expect without leaving him out "on an island" trying to pass protect for Watson against an NFL DE! Scary thought, and one that could end Watson's season, or even his career, in a heartbeat!

I'm still trying to figure out what happened to Lamm this season and why he has fallen down the depth chart so far. During the off season "they" (Coaches, media, etc...) were saying he was in great shape and looked really good in practices and was in line to get one of the OT spots. Then, after the 1st game where the whole O-line played horrible, he was sent to the bench, never to be heard from again! So, was he injured and we just haven't heard about it or was he just over hyped during the off season and wasn't really any good to begin with? It's looking more now like the latter which only opens up more questions about O-line talent evaluation and coaching with this team.
When's the last time you heard anything negative about Texans players from the coaching staff? They don't throw any players under the bus. Lamm was terrible last year........he was on his last leg by the time this season began.

He has always stunk.

When they put Lamm on the field in a real NFL game, they found out how really bad Lamm is.

When's the last time you heard anything negative about Texans players from the coaching staff? They don't throw any players under the bus. Lamm was terrible last year........he was on his last leg by the time this season began.

Some posters respond negatively when OBrien takes responsiblity during press confereces, "It's on me, I gotta coach better".

We all should know better when he takes it upon on himself. Some players just aren't up to the task.

But Obrien protects his players. He kept a pretty even keel during last weeks turmoil.

I think the "teapot" boils over at times only by design.

:coffee:

Doc, it wasn't that nothing negative was being said about Lamm, it was the fact they were pumping him up to be one of the starting OT's for this season. Usually if a player is that bad they just don't say anything at all about them and then they get cut later on. As for Lamm being terrible last year I don't recall him being any worse than Clark or Allen, who were both injured and flung around like ragdolls on several occasions. Lamm really played very little last year and usually as an extra blocking TE like they're doing with Davenport this season. I'm not saying Lamm is great or anything like that. I'm just wondering why, if Lamm was so bad, did the coaches and media blow him up as doing so well and put him in as a starter in the 1st game, then bench him for the next 5 games and cut him before the 6th game? You would think they would have never started him at all in the 1st game if they thought he was that bad and would have never hyped him up to the media in the 1st place.

Doc, it wasn't that nothing negative was being said about Lamm, it was the fact they were pumping him up to be one of the starting OT's for this season......

Well Somebody had to be ready to watch Savage's blind side!

Between this and Savage being our starter going into 2017 I'm starting to think that Bill O'Brien is running some kind of weird "FUSAG" type operation to deceive the rest of the league before the season started.

For what purpose we may never know.

Doc, it wasn't that nothing negative was being said about Lamm, it was the fact they were pumping him up to be one of the starting OT's for this season. Usually if a player is that bad they just don't say anything at all about them and then they get cut later on. As for Lamm being terrible last year I don't recall him being any worse than Clark or Allen, who were both injured and flung around like ragdolls on several occasions. Lamm really played very little last year and usually as an extra blocking TE like they're doing with Davenport this season. I'm not saying Lamm is great or anything like that. I'm just wondering why, if Lamm was so bad, did the coaches and media blow him up as doing so well and put him in as a starter in the 1st game, then bench him for the next 5 games and cut him before the 6th game? You would think they would have never started him at all in the 1st game if they thought he was that bad and would have never hyped him up to the media in the 1st place.
The compliments were never during the regular season. It should be obvious that there was a reason that Lamm last year was mostly brought in as a blocking TE. This season, they were hoping that Lamm could at least be a short sub swing tackle in the absence of Brown, as the potential OL depth was virtually nil. It's interesting to note that Lamm stated that Brown was one of his best friends here.

I should add that it has not been unusual for players to be pumped up during OTAs, practices and preseason, only to look sorry when the real games begin.

Last edited:

Aaron Wilson‏@AaronWilson_NFL 2h2 hours ago

Texans' Jadeveon Clowney wore an orange 'inmate' jumpsuit for Halloween costume. Hmm

This article was quickly taken down after it was posted:

And this was quickly posted:

Aaron Wilson‏@AaronWilson_NFL 2h2 hours ago

Jadeveon Clowney wasn't taking a shot at Bob McNair with orange jumpsuit costume, just intended as a Halloween costume

Just a few minutes ago, this article was posted from Chronicle........this time not by Wilson:

Houston Texans star Jadeveon Clowney speaks out about his orange jumpsuit Halloween costume
By Fernando Alfonso III

October 31, 2017 Updated: October 31, 2017 1:45pm
920x920.jpg

Photo: TMZ

short video appears to show Texans linebacker Jadeveon Clowney wearing a prison jumpsuit to a Halloween party. The costume choice follows comments made by team owner Bob McNair during a close-door NFL meeting in which he claimed, "We can't have the inmates running the pr

A video showing Texans linebacker Jadeveon Clowney sporting what appears to be an orange prison jumpsuit at a Halloween party has people wondering whether the costume was intended as a jab at owner Bob McNair.

The video, obtained and published Tuesday morning by TMZ, shows Clowney wearing the jumpsuit in what appears to be a nightclub.

McNair angered players when he said during a closed-door NFL meeting, "We can't have the inmates running the prison."

Just a few minutes ago, this article was posted from Chronicle........this time not by Wilson:

Houston Texans star Jadeveon Clowney speaks out about his orange jumpsuit Halloween costume
By Fernando Alfonso III

October 31, 2017 Updated: October 31, 2017 1:45pm
920x920.jpg

Photo: TMZ

short video appears to show Texans linebacker Jadeveon Clowney wearing a prison jumpsuit to a Halloween party. The costume choice follows comments made by team owner Bob McNair during a close-door NFL meeting in which he claimed, "We can't have the inmates running the pr

A video showing Texans linebacker Jadeveon Clowney sporting what appears to be an orange prison jumpsuit at a Halloween party has people wondering whether the costume was intended as a jab at owner Bob McNair.

The video, obtained and published Tuesday morning by TMZ, shows Clowney wearing the jumpsuit in what appears to be a nightclub.

McNair angered players when he said during a closed-door NFL meeting, "We can't have the inmates running the prison."
INB4 everyone blowing this out of proportion.

Dude is taking a sour situation and turning it into a light-hearted joke yet I guarantee you this will piss someone off for some reason

He has no business missing practice as a rookie for his opinion.

Well since I'm pretty sure that's your opinion generally on the subject I don't see the need for the rookie distinction. There are no special rookie behavior rules.

FWIW I don't like any of them skipping practice. Outside practice, mic gets stuck in their face, they can answer honestly. He may be dead wrong but if that's how he feels, so be it.

Hypothetically, if all players had missed practice, boycott the game, or some other protest, would you suggest that only the rookies be punished?

Didn't see where cnnnd suggested punishing anyone.

But reading between the lines you could hypothesize that cnnnd considered the rookie to be somewhat deficient of common sense.

Might have played too many games without a helmet.

:coffee:

Well since I'm pretty sure that's your opinion generally on the subject I don't see the need for the rookie distinction. There are no special rookie behavior rules.

FWIW I don't like any of them skipping practice. Outside practice, mic gets stuck in their face, they can answer honestly. He may be dead wrong but if that's how he feels, so be it.
The NFL has a long history of unwritten "special rookie behavior rules." Shaving heads, carrying vet helmets and pads, paying for extremely expensive dinners. Sixty-one rookies and veterans managed to sit through the McNair ordeal and still attend practice. He's had ongoing conditioning problems and hasn't managed to learn to protect our QB. He's earned nothing yet to let him miss practice for his opinion.

If Foreman had won the starting job and was running wild on NFL defenses, then "maybe" a missed practice in protest might've been overlooked...but, when he's still struggling with every facet of becoming an NFL RB....then I'm sure we'd all have hoped "common sense" would've prevailed in this situation. He needed to be practicing to hopefully elevate his game and position to the point that O'Brien would've had no other option but to start him against Indy. The Texans are coming up on Game 8 and Foreman is still listed as the teams RB2 or RB3 on the depth chart. I'd be horribly disappointed if I were Foreman...especially after the season he had coming into the NFL draft.

If Foreman had won the starting job and was running wild on NFL defenses, then "maybe" a missed practice in protest might've been overlooked...but, when he's still struggling with every facet of becoming an NFL RB....then I'm sure we'd all have hoped "common sense" would've prevailed in this situation. He needed to be practicing to hopefully elevate his game and position to the point that O'Brien would've had no other option but to start him against Indy. The Texans are coming up on Game 8 and Foreman is still listed as the teams RB2 or RB3 on the depth chart. I'd be horribly disappointed if I were Foreman...especially after the season he had coming into the NFL draft.

Every facet? How about he struggles with pass blocking.

This kinda hurts my heart. Hopkins has 224 receiving yards and nobody bats an eye, as the opponent won with about 4 total combined yards from their runningbacks. That's today game. It seems 5 minutes ago that 200+ yards from a receiver was something to be in awe of - but I guess it's lost in the near 1,000 combined passing yards.

Well, when you put it like that it doesn't sound so bad but watching it, it was bad.

Seattle and NE we were trading blows back and forth like Rocky and Apollo Creed in Rocky one.

KC though was painful because of the injuries. We scored some garbage time TDs to bring the score close. Good team this year.

Back