Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

DM_oclMVAAAexul.jpg
I really like the touch back stats. This reduces the mistakes by special teams. I also like our kick returners try fewer returns or so it seems. When we return historically we seem to always have a blocking in the back penalty or a hold.

Oh, I get it,

What has McNair done for the city? Other than make about 3 billion $$$$.

I just think the man doesn't deserve a statue.
Well he played very significant role in getting first of two SB and all the positives they produced in his negotiations with NFL when buying the franchise. My understanding the second SB was direct result of the overwhelming compliments received by all attending the first. I agree he does not deserve a statue for that. I guess he could pay for one and put it on his property. Maybe he could charge for people to come by and see it. Probably get employees like Duane Brown to stand next to it and recite things McNair has done sort of like a tour guide or something. A great way for Duane to get some of that loss of income...

Richardson has 7 playoff apperances in his 22 years of ownership, to McNair's 4 playoff appearances in 16 years.

Benson has 10 playoffs in 32 years, Super Bowl win in his 25th year of ownership.

Rooney made the playoffs for just the 2nd time in his 40th year of ownership, Super Bowl in year 42.

So what's your point again?
so..McNair has 6 more years to catch up with Richardson or one every two seasons or..Now I'm getting dizzy. I'm going to another topic with less :slapfight: like who selects players Smith or Kubiak..er O'Brien.

Can you clarify, I thought the naming rights money went to McNair? It does in the other Houston sports teams..right?

Goes to the stadium owner which is Harris County for all 3. Just noticed when it went from Reliant to NRG the payments went to $12 mil/yr.

Aside, Minute Maid pays $7.4 mil/yr.

Can you clarify, I thought the naming rights money went to McNair? It does in the other Houston sports teams..right?

Goes to the stadium owner which is Harris County for all 3. Just noticed when it went from Reliant to NRG the payments went to $12 mil/yr.

Aside, Minute Maid pays $7.4 mil/yr.
It was also my impression that McNair got a big chunk of the naming rights.
This article seems to affirm this (need to read the entire article to include the name change from RELIANT to NRG.:

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Reliant Stadium May Be Changing Names, But Texans Still Lining Pockets With Naming Rights Fees
Jeff Balke | March 13, 2014 | 8:00am

For over a decade, Bob McNair has been given the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his ownership of the Houston Texans. "He brought football back to Houston and he spent a billion dollars to do it," is the familiar refrain. Part of that sentence is true. After the Oilers left, he most certainly brought a team back to Houston, albeit at large part because of LA's unbelievable ineptitude (they were given every opportunity to get the next NFL franchise and fell flat on their faces each time). But, the idea that McNair shelled out $1 billion for the Texans is inaccurate, and he's made more than his share back...and then some.

First, a history lesson. In 1994 there was a real possibility the city could end up with zero pro teams and no new stadia. The Oilers were on their way out the door. The Astros were threatening a move to northern Virginia and the Rockets would soon be playing footsie with Louisville. Yet, within 10 years, the Astros moved into Minute Maid Park, the Rockets into Toyota Center and the Texans were born at Reliant Stadium.

That began with a very narrow victory in 1996 at the polls and the passing of a somewhat controversial bill in the Texas Legislature, which created the Harris County-Houston Sports Authority and allowed that entity to collect a few pennies of car rental and hotel occupancy taxes for the purpose of building sports facilities. First up was Minute Maid Park (then Enron Field, shudder) followed by an extremely contentious pair of elections needed to pass the funding for Toyota Center.

In fact, the Rockets' home is by far the most used facility, yet it required two referendums to pass and a bunch of money from team owner Leslie Alexander. At the time the second referendum was underway, it had become a foregone conclusion that the county would pay to build a new football stadium for what would become the Texans.

What was not really discussed at that time -- and something that could have easily torpedoed the second basketball arena referendum and sent the Rockets packing to Louisville -- was that Reliant Stadium would cost about as much as both other facilities combined and very little would come from the team, something opponents to Minute Maid and Toyota Center had argued over vehemently. In fact, former Oilers owner Bud Adams was laughed out of town and all the way to Nashville when he suggested the city assist him in building a retractible roof stadium in downtown for which he would foot nearly half the bill. Not only did the Texans get an essentially free stadium, which represents nearly half of that $1 billion McNair supposedly paid to get the team, but they get 75 percent of the more than $300 million in naming rights being paid by Reliant. It's the third largest naming rights deal in all of sports. Toyota Center clocks in at under a third of that amount and Minute Maid is a little over half.

THE REST OF THE STORY

Last edited:
I've seen articles write it both ways. The Texans getting the money doesn't make sense, the owner does. What the other 25% goes to the other lessee, the Rodeo? Or is the Rodeo meekly standing aside getting nothing? They haven't been meek about anything else.

Write it out and it makes no sense. The Texans lease a building for $4 mil/yr and earn $9 mil/yr for letting someone hang a sign on it.

I wouldn't be surprised by a split if it was the reverse with the majority to the owner.

But even assuming that split is true, Harris County is making $8.5 mil/yr before the money for college football, concerts and other events.

And this statement shows an incredible bias, "allowed that entity to collect a few pennies of car rental and hotel occupancy taxes."

Richardson has 7 playoff apperances in his 22 years of ownership, to McNair's 4 playoff appearances in 16 years.

Benson has 10 playoffs in 32 years, Super Bowl win in his 25th year of ownership.

Rooney made the playoffs for just the 2nd time in his 40th year of ownership, Super Bowl in year 42.

So what's your point again?

Which is all fine,

Doesn't mean he deserves a statue.

You should atleast have one SB appearance on your resume before you get one.

Where's Judge Hofheinz statue? He did far more for Houston than McNair ever will do.

I've seen articles write it both ways. The Texans getting the money doesn't make sense, the owner does. What the other 25% goes to the other lessee, the Rodeo? Or is the Rodeo meekly standing aside getting nothing? They haven't been meek about anything else.

Write it out and it makes no sense. The Texans lease a building for $4 mil/yr and earn $9 mil/yr for letting someone hang a sign on it.

I wouldn't be surprised by a split if it was the reverse with the majority to the owner.

But even assuming that split is true, Harris County is making $8.5 mil/yr before the money for college football, concerts and other events.

And this statement shows an incredible bias, "allowed that entity to collect a few pennies of car rental and hotel occupancy taxes."

If you've seen articles please post them.

I want to see the other side of the story.

The only side I've read about are articles like the one CND posted, which makes my point about the Texans org and the McNair's.

# Doesn't deserve a statue.

Which is all fine,

Where's Judge Hofheinz statue? He did far more for Houston than McNair ever will do.

But the statue had nothing to do with Super Bowl appearances. The people wanting to put up the statue set the criteria for what needs to be done to warrant a statue & they believe McNair qualifies.

Which is all fine,

First as to the Hofheinz statue...

Fertitta-Center_111400.jpg

Secondly, it should probably be mentioned that even though you don't appear to have a problem with a Judge Roy Hofheinz Jr. statue (or at least the concept of it since you apparently weren't aware that it did (or will) actually exist), much like Bob McNair, Judge Hofheinz also has not won a Super Bowl (to date anyway).

Finally, if your response to the above comment is that Judge Hofheinz did not get his statue for anything that had anything to do with winning Super Bowls, I would respond that neither did Bob McNair.

If your hatred (and that's what it is in spite of your meaningless denials) puts you in a position to be ignorant of everything about the man with the exception of your own judgement of how successful his football team is, your position and expression of that position tells the world far more about you than it does Bob McNair.

Didn't know exactly where to post this. But here it is. Arian Foster is producing a Podcast series. Here is one........with his mother as his guest..................he actually sounds so much less put on (pseudo-intellectual), very genuine, very intelligently fluent and well-spoken and very interesting...............it includes a reflection on him being not drafted as well as some history of him and his family. While he was a Texan, I could not listen to him on interviews. This will not be the last Foster Podcast I listen to. Here's to you, Arian.....Great job..........You've really grown up.

ARIAN FOSTER PODCAST

Last edited:
So now you are setting rules on who can give and get a statue?

As far as a Hofheinz statue goes...

http://abc13.com/news/uh-hofheinz-family-reach-deal-on-naming-of-arena/1385292/

Yes I am.

Hofheinz built the dome. What history has McNair made?

Secondly, it should probably be mentioned that even though you don't appear to have a problem with a Judge Roy Hofheinz Jr. statue (or at least the concept of it since you apparently weren't aware that it did (or will) actually exist), much like Bob McNair, Judge Hofheinz also has not won a Super Bowl (to date anyway).

Finally, if your response to the above comment is that Judge Hofheinz did not get his statue for anything that had anything to do with winning Super Bowls, I would respond that neither did Bob McNair.

If your hatred (and that's what it is in spite of your meaningless denials) puts you in a position to be ignorant of everything about the man with the exception of your own judgement of how successful his football team is, your position and expression of that position tells the world far more about you than it does Bob McNair.

One man built the 8th wonder of the world. The other man built his fortune. (Yes IKnow he was wealthy before he bought the Texans.)

As far as the rest of your post goes, you have never met me so you don't know me. If you did you probably would edit your post a bit. With that said, I really don't put much thought or time into what others think of me. I'm pretty comfortable in my own shoes.

Yes I am.

Hofheinz built the dome. What history has McNair made?

I was simply providing information in answer to your question about Hofheinz' statue.

I could care less if McNair gets a statue erected. Some people do and feel they have a compelling reason. Your dissent with their reasoning is noted. I'm sure they will take it under consideration.

The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose we learn from the experience, to get better as time goes on.

I'm not a big football expert or anything, and I have these questions that came up with some friends of mine.

If a offensive lineman lines up outside the normal 5 man line, does he have to declare himself an eligible receiver?

If any other player (say a halfback or TE) lines up in an interior offensive lineman slot, like a guard or a tackle position, is that "legal", or does he have to say something to the officials like the eligible receiver thing?

I'm not a big football expert or anything, and I have these questions that came up with some friends of mine.

If a offensive lineman lines up outside the normal 5 man line, does he have to declare himself an eligible receiver?

If any other player (say a halfback or TE) lines up in an interior offensive lineman slot, like a guard or a tackle position, is that "legal", or does he have to say something to the officials like the eligible receiver thing?
NFL rules state you have to have seven players lined up on the line of scrimmage. I've never seen a RB be one of them.......only WR or TE. It must be illegal. The two closest players on the line to the sidelines are eligible to receive passes, but the five in the middle are not. So normally, teams use five offensive linemen, and play them in those five ineligible positions, with a center in the middle and two to each side. By playing six, the offense removes a potential playmaker and telegraphs its intention to run. An extra Olineman has to be announced because he is wearing a OL # and otherwise cannot be on the field.

Just an FYI. That statue is only going to be standing because Fertita paid $20 million toward a $60 million renovation of the Pavilion and demanded that the name be changed to the Fertita Center. Fertita paid for that statue as a "peace offering" after a vicious fight with the Hofheinz family over the name change.

Why do the Texans even bother putting out a depth chart,
Just an FYI. That statue is only going to be standing because Fertita paid $20 million toward a $60 million renovation of the Pavilion and demanded that the name be changed to the Fertita Center. Fertita paid for that statue as a "peace offering" after a vicious fight with the Hofheinz family over the name change.
Much ado about nothing yet again. I would gladly donate to a fund for a statue of Bob McNair because he was the key figure in bringing an NFL franchise back to Houston. I have no problem with public funds being used to make and maintain said statue. Does anyone argue about the

Lets say the players hold out of tomorrow’s game due to Mcnair’s comments... how much would it cost you to sign up to be a “replacement player” or “inmate”?

Lets say the players hold out of tomorrow’s game due to Mcnair’s comments... how much would it cost you to sign up to be a “replacement player” or “inmate”?

I'll probably be the last one to know. I will be hanging, taping and floating sheetrock in my grandaughters house.

Building it ourselves, we don't have the money to buy one and habitat sure as hell won't be building it for her. Mght need to protest that.

Each day adds more to my don't "shiv a git attitude" about pro sports or pro athletes or people feeling sorry for themselves.

The day you see me wearing a shirt with a pro athletes / pro teams name on it douse it with gasoline and burn it. With me in it.

Haven't purchased a ticket to a pro event since the Oilers left town. Have never bought a shirt with an athletes name on it.

Most are dumbasses eaten up with their own importance. :stooges:

Tme to go to work, enjoy the game.

:coffee:

Compare what Watt does for the people of Houston to what Brown does for the people of Houston. The foundations Watt is supporting has helped far more needy people that Brown ever will.

Yeah those abused & abandoned kids and people with diabetes aren't needy at all.

Of course a bigger star can pull more money.

Compare what Watt does for the people of Houston to what Brown does for the people of Houston. The foundations Watt is supporting has helped far more needy people that Brown ever will.

Not that anyone should ever want to turn charity into a dick measuring contest, but ...

Texans All-Pro Duane Brown Renews Partnership with American Diabetes Association
The offensive lineman spent Tuesday morning reading to 850 kids from Spring Branch ISD
Duane Brown Adopts Boys & Girls Harbor for Christmas
Texans left tackle Duane Brown recognized Marion Fischer, the 2014 BHP Billiton Community Quarterback Award recipient, on Thursday

... Brown's not exactly been a wallflower in the helping people in need department.

I’ve never seen this board going at it with one another like it’s been since Friday.

You know i think the fans, the players, and the owners want to put this stuff behind them. This is slowing evolving into a jerry springer episode.

As others have pointed out, football is one of those escapes from the real world and now people have gone effed it up with politics. We could bbq, drink, and have a good time with friends before going back to the overlords.

Someone press the reset button...

I like Brown as player. I was bummed he held out as I felt his pay was commensurate with level of play and we could have used him in those first 6 games. I disagree with his comments on McNair, especially in the PFT article regarding “other comments from McNair”. I feel like he’s viewing those comments through a skewed lens, meaning he’s looking for something that might not be there. Plus, everyone makes makes mistakes and when we do we ask for forgiveness. Heck DB got popped for peds and asked his team and owner for forgiveness. We’ve become a society that’s quick to anger and condemn and slow to forgive, and that makes me sad

Back