Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

Not twisting anything. You said lack of talent is a weak excuse, but talent does matter. Yeah, coaching does too, but you can’t coach up a bunch of 2nd stringers just because they have enough talent to be in the league.

What do you mean you can't coach up a bunch of 2nd stringers? I mean the players that started were selected by the coaching staff correct. So in their evaluation they doomed them 1st stringers. Who might I add earned the starting position. We as fans quickly want to use the lack of talent excuse, like we're some type of great talent evaluator. Obrien and Delvin are responsible for putting the best of the best product on the field. It is up to them to get the very best from those guys. It is up to Obrien to call plays that will help them to succeed. Example, getting the ball out Watson hands quicker would help the offensive line out tremendously. Just like it helped Luck out this past season with the Colts. I remember a few years ago when Brady was getting beat up back there, so the offensive line after losing Solders was terrible. Brady went back to his bread and butter and the offensive line looked formidable.

Getting Watson outside the pocket or moving the pocket would help the offensive line a lot.

Great talent can be coached up. Mediocre talent, not so much. Julie’n Davenport will never be a Duane Brown no matter how great of coaching he gets.

Im in no way saying coaching doesn’t matter. It absolutely does. And coaching can take mediocre and put them in better positions to succeed, which is why teams can be successful without having All-Pros all over the place.

But you're acting like talent doesn’t matter as long as there’s great coaching, and that’s just not true.

I am not suggesting that at all. I know there are quite of few levels of talent in every stage of the game. Starting from pee wee all the way up to the pros. None of us can really predict these players future like that. Davenport can go to the Patriots and become all pro, just like that. Both Brown and Solder got huge pay days playing in the Patriots system. Ole buddy that went to the Cowboys performed much better than he did as a Texans. Kelemete played a helluva lot better as a Saint verse here in Houston. I can go on and on but you get my drift Speedy.

I am not suggesting that at all. I know there are quite of few levels of talent in every stage of the game. Starting from pee wee all the way up to the pros. None of us can really predict these players future like that. Davenport can go to the Patriots and become all pro, just like that. Both Brown and Solder got huge pay days playing in the Patriots system. Ole buddy that went to the Cowboys performed much better than he did as a Texans. Kelemete played a helluva lot better as a Saint verse here in Houston. I can go on and on but you get my drift Speedy.

Playing better and looking better because of a system are 2 different things. For example, the Patriots allowed the 3rd fewest sacks last year and didn't have a single OL who has ever made a Pro-Bowl. The Patriots have a system where they aren't required to be stacked with top end talent along the OL, but they do have to have some talent which is why guys like Brown and Solder get paid.

And I'm not even saying the Texans need to stack the line with Pro-Bowl players, but they do need guys who would actually be 1st teamers on other teams. That's their problem. They have an entire unit of backups. Being so bad that the subpar talent you have is starting doesn't mean you have starting talent. And coaching isn't going to make that better.

Way, WAY too often someone on the Texans OL is getting obliterated before the play can get going. Belichick can't even out-scheme that. You don't have to have all All-Pro talent all up and down the line, but you do need more than the backup "starters" the Texans throw out there.

That's because the lack of communication and continuity going on there. Every year the line is being changed, add in the injury factor as well.

That IMO is coaching 101. They really don't build that up in preseason like they suppose to. Those boys suppose to be out there on the field in the 1st 3 preseason games for at least a half in each. Especially when you have a bunch of new starters in the mix.

Are we not trying to mimic what the Patriots are doing? Are we not bringing in all these ex coaches and ex players from that tree?

Why are you calling them backups when they came here and won the starting job. I really do not get that train of thought. There are a lot players who started as a backup and became a starter at some point in their career. The coaching staff here thinks they're starters.

Playing better and looking better because of a system are 2 different things. For example, the Patriots allowed the 3rd fewest sacks last year and didn't have a single OL who has ever made a Pro-Bowl. The Patriots have a system where they aren't required to be stacked with top end talent along the OL, but they do have to have some talent which is why guys like Brown and Solder get paid.

And I'm not even saying the Texans need to stack the line with Pro-Bowl players, but they do need guys who would actually be 1st teamers on other teams. That's their problem. They have an entire unit of backups. Being so bad that the subpar talent you have is starting doesn't mean you have starting talent. And coaching isn't going to make that better.

Way, WAY too often someone on the Texans OL is getting obliterated before the play can get going. Belichick can't even out-scheme that. You don't have to have all All-Pro talent all up and down the line, but you do need more than the backup "starters" the Texans throw out there.
Even though I agree with everything you said I still think a smart, capable coach should try to scheme around talent deficiencies. Where are the quick slants or how about a moving pocket. Maybe even the occasional bootleg. Anything to get rid of the ball quicker and cleaner.

To me it seems that O'Brien can't accept the fact that his OL is substandard and change his game plan accordingly. A good coach should have an accurate assessment of the abilities of his players.

Yep, the sign a bunch of backup fa ol plan was a fail.

Let's hope the drafting a bunch of small school guys and putting them with the backup fa ol will succeed.

Even though I agree with everything you said I still think a smart, capable coach should try to scheme around talent deficiencies. Where are the quick slants or how about a moving pocket. Maybe even the occasional bootleg. Anything to get rid of the ball quicker and cleaner.

To me it seems that O'Brien can't accept the fact that his OL is substandard and change his game plan accordingly. A good coach should have an accurate assessment of the abilities of his players.

It's hard to do these things with basically a rookie QB that's coming off of an acl, then suffers a punctured lung.

That's because the lack of communication and continuity going on there. Every year the line is being changed, add in the injury factor as well.

That IMO is coaching 101. They really don't build that up in preseason like they suppose to. Those boys suppose to be out there on the field in the 1st 3 preseason games for at least a half in each. Especially when you have a bunch of new starters in the mix.

Are we not trying to mimic what the Patriots are doing? Are we not bringing in all these ex coaches and ex players from that tree?

Why are you calling them backups when they came here and won the starting job. I really do not get that train of thought. There are a lot players who started as a backup and became a starter at some point in their career. The coaching staff here thinks they're starters.

How many of those guys became great ol? The coaching staff thought so much of those guys, they drafted ol in RDS 1-2.

I've been warning people about, Watson could very easily turn into Carr. He's already blown out a knee and suffered a punctured lung in his 1st 2 season and the OL still sucks. It's like the Texans org didn't learn a damn thing with what happened to Carr.
“Watson could very easily turn into Carr,” eh? I’m almost willing to bet the house on that NEVER happening. First off, Watson lit it up as a rookie behind a very similar offensive line as DC until the ACL rupture. He then comes back and has a great season with awesome stats, behind a maybe even worse offensive line than the one he played behind his rookie season. Watson is (from reports) a very hard working, self critic, smooth, determined, and extremely competitive QB that doesn’t get phased by anything. Something DC NEVER even came close to!

Now, I agree that the O-line is a complete joke and that just isn’t going to cut it if we want to ever even reach an AFCCG, as a Super Bowl is out of the realm of possibility behind the garbage they trot out there in Sunday’s, trying to pass as an offensive line.

“Watson could very easily turn into Carr,” eh? I’m almost willing to bet the house on that NEVER happening. First off, Watson lit it up as a rookie behind a very similar offensive line as DC until the ACL rupture. He then comes back and has a great season with awesome stats, behind a maybe even worse offensive line than the one he played behind his rookie season. Watson is (from reports) a very hard working, self critic, smooth, determined, and extremely competitive QB that doesn’t get phased by anything. Something DC NEVER even came close to!

I agree that the O-line is a complete joke and that just isn’t going to cut it if we want to ever even reach an AFCCG, as a Super Bowl is out of the realm of possibility behind the garbage they trot out there in Sunday’s, trying to pass as an offensive line.

Let him keep getting major injuries and we will see

Agreed

Let him keep getting major injuries and we will see

Agreed
Watson has already outplayed Carr. I agree that Carr got screwed by the Texans, but he certainly did himself no favors by being the last in and first to leave. The only thing Carr earned in the NFL was a backup job because he was trying to be a good family man instead of an NFL QB who has a family. He never had the drive and competitive nature to thrive in the NFL. Watson is the polar opposite of that.

Watson has already outplayed Carr. I agree that Carr got screwed by the Texans, but he certainly did himself no favors by being the last in and first to leave. The only thing Carr earned in the NFL was a backup job because he was trying to be a good family man instead of an NFL QB who has a family. He never had the drive and competitive nature to thrive in the NFL. Watson is the polar opposite of that.

Agreed, but with Watson's injury history he's headed down the same path,

Kelemente

Fulton

Henderson

I think most of us agree Fulton proved to be a true starter. I personally don't know what to think of Henderson after three snaps, but the Texans have doubled down on him (at the same time drafting two guys who could replace him).

Davenport. I think he's still developing. I don't think he'll develop into an All-Pro, but I'm optimistic he can develop into a starter.

But yeah. Even though there were times Watson held the ball too long, far too often there was immediate penetration.

It will be interesting to see how the Texans man the OL. 1st rounder Howard, 2nd rounder Scharping, 2nd rounder Martin (who I've already given up on), 3rd rounder Rankins, 4th rounder Davenport, Fulton, Henderson, Kelemente...

Rockets making moves/Astros about to make moves/Texans who's their GM again? The difference when an org isn't lead by Cletus.

LOL

Rockets making moves/Astros about to make moves/Texans who's their GM again? The difference when an org isn't lead by Cletus.

LOL

Cleutus was INFLUENCED.......... he ain't that dumb to fire Gaine ( i hope) . He was told sure fire candidate was ready to go. I don't blame cal one bit (BOB and his cronies have been playing games since he got here). But if he does not stand up forthis franchise next season...... then he is a weak owner. All I can say.

Kelemente

Fulton

Henderson

I think most of us agree Fulton proved to be a true starter. I personally don't know what to think of Henderson after three snaps, but the Texans have doubled down on him (at the same time drafting two guys who could replace him).
Actually three if you count Rankins unless you think he's a guard only ?
Davenport. I think he's still developing. I don't think he'll develop into an All-Pro, but I'm optimistic he can develop into a starter.

But yeah. Even though there were times Watson held the ball too long, far too often there was immediate penetration.

It will be interesting to see how the Texans man the OL. 1st rounder Howard, 2nd rounder Scharping, 2nd rounder Martin (who I've already given up on), 3rd rounder Rankins, 4th rounder Davenport, Fulton, Henderson, Kelemente...
So you still have hope for Davenport to become a competant starting LT ?
And you'e had it with Martin, so who would you like to see them play at center ?

LOL
To satisfy my curiosity I've been meaning to ask you SteelB, where did you come up with the handle of Cletus ? A nickname you've coined yourself for C. McNair or is there another source ?

To satisfy my curiosity I've been meaning to ask you SteelB, where did you come up with the handle of Cletus ? A nickname you've coined yourself for C. McNair or is there another source ?

Smokey and the Bandit

Jackie Gleason's son.

Great Movie

Cleutus was INFLUENCED.......... he ain't that dumb to fire Gaine ( i hope) . He was told sure fire candidate was ready to go. I don't blame cal one bit (BOB and his cronies have been playing games since he got here). But if he does not stand up forthis franchise next season...... then he is a weak owner. All I can say.

Or something else happened

He is a weak owner, a strong owner would've let God'ell decide tampering and paid the price if found guilty. Screw Kraft/BB

I think Rankin was drafted as a LT prospect. Not to replace Henderson per se, but it wouldn't shock me if he does.

And you'e had it with Martin, so who would you like to see them play at center ?

While competent I hope he starts only if he's better than our other options at this time in their development. I hope they drafted Howard in the first to be our LT of the future. But if he's not ready this year to play LT, I'm fine with that.

This is Davenport's third season. It's his make or break season. Coming from his small school background, this year compares to the second season of a prospect coming out of a major program.

Like to see Fulton taking snaps at center.

In 2017, Keith Mumphery was cut by the Texans after reports surfaced that he had been banned from the campus of Michigan State following a sexual assault accusation. Mumphery always insisted he was falsely accused, and sued Michigan State for the way that campus ban damaged his career. Now Michigan State has paid.

Mumphery received $725,000 from Michigan State in a lawsuit settlement, according to ESPN. In a sign of how badly Michigan State botched the investigation, the school also settled a lawsuit with Mumphery’s accuser, paying her $475,000.

Link

Future Power Rankings - Next 3 years
https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/st...ngs-projections-all-32-teams-next-three-years

1. Indianapolis Colts Overall score: 87.8
2. New England Patriots Overall score: 87.2
3. Philadelphia Eagles Overall score: 87.0
4. Kansas City Chiefs Overall score: 85.5
5. Seattle Seahawks Overall score: 84.9
6. Pittsburgh Steelers Overall score: 84.4
7. New Orleans Saints Overall score: 84.2
8. Los Angeles Rams Overall score: 82.8
9. Cleveland Browns Overall score: 81.9
10. Los Angeles Chargers Overall score: 80.9
11. Chicago Bears Overall score: 80.5
12. Minnesota Vikings Overall score: 80.4
13. Green Bay Packers Overall score: 79.6
14. Dallas Cowboys Overall score: 79.0
15. Atlanta Falcons Overall score: 78.4
16. Houston Texans Overall score: 77.6

Why they’re here: An early playoff exit doused most of the good vibes of the Texans’ remarkable turnaround in 2018, but there are plenty of potent ingredients that could result in success moving forward. Deshaun Watson’s brilliance provides the largest beam of hope, as he bounced back from a torn ACL as a rookie to play all 16 games in 2018 and throw for more than 4,000 yards. The roster has top-tier talent in key spots, but the offensive line is a serious question mark, as much will be expected of first-round pick Tytus Howard. The largest question mark looming over the organization is the front office, as the Texans have a general manager vacancy after abruptly dismissing Brian Gaine. — Yates

Biggest worry: When your offensive line is coming off a season in which it gave up 62 sacks and allowed a 41% pressure rate (both worst in the NFL), you know that fixing this unit is the top priority going forward if you are to have any chance. Firing the GM (Gaine) who was responsible for singing free-agent OT Matt Kalil and drafting OTs Howard and Max Scharping in the first and second rounds, respectively, doesn’t give me any confidence that this coaching staff and the front office are on the same page. That usually doesn’t bode well in terms of success on the field. Watson deserves better than what he has received in terms of protection, and if the players who were brought in can’t be developed or utilized properly, this team is in trouble. — Riddick

What could change for the better: It will be difficult to project good outcomes for this franchise until it straightens out its front office. After firing Gaine after only one season, the Texans appear rudderless. Their attempt to hire Patriots personnel chief Nick Caserio was inspired but proved a dead end for now. If the Texans want to compete in 2022, they’ll need to start at the top. — Seifert

17. Baltimore Ravens Overall score: 77.0
18. Carolina Panthers Overall score: 76.7
19. Tennessee Titans Overall score: 75.3
20. Oakland Raiders Overall score: 75.2
21. Detroit Lions Overall score: 74.5
22. Denver Broncos Overall score: 74.3
23. Buffalo Bills Overall score: 73.9
24. San Francisco 49ers Overall score: 73.6
25. Jacksonville Jaguars Overall score: 72.9
26. Tampa Bay Buccaneers Overall score: 72.0
27. Washington Redskins Overall score: 71.3
28. Cincinnati Bengals Overall score: 71.0
29. New York Jets Overall score: 70.8
30. Arizona Cardinals Overall score: 70.4
31. New York Giants Overall score: 69.1
32. Miami Dolphins Overall score: 65.4

tumblr_n47d7f7uFv1rt5pgzo1_400.gif

We're not last.

Well guys, it's only a few more weeks until the first preseason game. Better firm up your predictions and excuses now.

9-7/7-9 if they stay reasonably healthy.

They will remain mediocre until they actually fix the OL, particularly the LT position. I dont expect much from the small school OT's this yr.

9-7/7-9 if they stay reasonably healthy.

They will remain mediocre until they actually fix the OL, particularly the LT position. I dont expect much from the small school OT's this yr.

I'm not sure what their record will be, but I seriously doubt they hit 10 or 11 wins this season. If they miss the playoffs look for the caca and the fan.

I'm not sure what their record will be, but I seriously doubt they hit 10 or 11 wins this season. If they miss the playoffs look for the caca and the fan.

Why is the caca going to hit the fan? They dont even have a GM and arguably play the toughest schedule in the NFL. The AFC South barring injuries is better than the Texans.

Are the Texan more talented than say, the Pats/Chiefs/Chargers? What's coming should be expected.

Why is the caca going to hit the fan? They dont even have a GM and arguably play the toughest schedule in the NFL. The AFC South barring injuries is better than the Texans.

Are the Texan more talented than say, the Pats/Chiefs/Chargers? What's coming should be expected.
As talented as but with worse coaching.

Have you seen the OL and secondary? The wr's can't stay healthy.

Just compare the Colts ol/Texans ol and get back with me.
You’re the one who said barring injuries. Why do the other teams get a break for injuries but the Texans don’t?

Back