Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

I suspect DeMeco wants LBs with 32”+ arms.
That may be true, but is it a hard and fast rule (like the S2 once was)? Jack Campbell has sub 32" arms and the Lions took him in the 1st round. Ditto Micah Parsons and Patrick Queen. Blake Cashman had 30" arms, but had good production last season. But the Texans did not re-sign him.

I don't think Payton Wilson's arm length will bother everyone. His double digit surgeries since high school could bother teams a lot. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Maybe. But keep in mind our Christian Harris ran a 4.44 with a 1.54 ten yd split. Same 34.5” vertical to Wilson but Harris Broad jump was 11” to Wilson’s 9’11”… and Harris dropped to the 3rd round without the medical history.

Did not have the same level of production as Wilson but he was a three year starter at Bama who played his best football in the biggest games (SEC and National championship). He also did not have Wilson’s injury history.

All that being said, I suspect Wilson will be closer to pick 59 than 42 when its all said and done.
Good info. I wondered about this some but just didn't check it out. I also had some thoughts about his positioning in the draft., whether he's first taken or second. Think I just may go back and review Harris' profile.

Just took a quick dive and compared Wilson to recent profiles of LBs and also CBs, Sauce & Sting among them. He holds up very well. His meds may drive him down, but if film study shows competence as a nickle, I'd take him for that role. Then when we dropped into a 43 package he could slide into SAM. No give away as to how we would line up.

It's possible to end up with Newton, Wilson and with a little luck Sainristil. Trade up from 2-59 using next year's 1st for Newton.

Pick 2-42 Wilson

3-86 Sainristil.

It seems as after round one, analysts have players all over mocks; more so than last draft.

Players are as much as an entire round different. I doubt it occurs:

42 Johnny Newton
59 Payton Wilson
86 Mike Sainristil
4.123 Khyree Jackson
4.127 Kris Abrams-Draine

Back