Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

That pick was made by OB. Just ask baller. OB got all our QB’s, at least the bad ones, smh.

Wrong. I said Obrien hand picked Hoyer, Mallett, and Fitzpatrick. Everyone on here but you newcomer knows my take on this. We all know Watson was a Rick Smith's pick and not an O'Brien's pick. Even though he claims to be involved in all of that good stuff.

But hey D good try.

Wrong. I said Obrien hand picked Hoyer, Mallett, and Fitzpatrick. Everyone on here but you newcomer knows my take on this. We all know Watson was a Rick Smith's pick and not an O'Brien's pick. Even though he claims to be involved in all of that good stuff.

But hey D good try.
Lol, good try but you have gone out of your way to “prove” OB is involved in all personal decisions just as you have always maintained RS only drafted players the coaches want. OB was outstanding wanting and getting DW.

Lol, good try but you have gone out of your way to “prove” OB is involved in all personal decisions just as you have always maintained RS only drafted players the coaches want. OB was outstanding wanting and getting DW.

I post stuff that comes straight out the horse's mouth. Nothing made up. So it's been proven. You just don't want to believe it ro be.

Thank you Rick Smith for the lovely parting gift.
:D
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Watson is a special talent. He proved that at the biggest stage in college football, hell he showed the good stuff since his high school days. It’s not like they discovered this hidden gem in the late rounds.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Watson is a special talent. He proved that at the biggest stage in college football, hell he showed the good stuff since his high school days. It’s not like they discovered this hidden gem in the late rounds.
True. But, Smith did move up to take Watson. Rather than sit on his hands, turn off his phone, and let the draft board "speak to him".

True. But, Smith did move up to take Watson. Rather than sit on his hands, turn off his phone, and let the draft board "speak to him".
I’m glad Rick Smith moved up to get Watson. In fact, I couldn’t be happier. But, people shouldn’t be praised for doing what anyone with even the slightest bit of common sense would have done. Drafting Watson in the top 10 is what SHOULD have happened, but thankfully the other franchises had their boards “speak to them” and took a pass on him.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.c...s-are-proof-why-strength-of-schedule-matters/

2018-QBs-vs-Texans.png
2019-QBs-vs-Texans.png

It starts and ends with Houston’s play-calling, which has been a major problem.O’Brien is far too conservative and inefficient a play-caller.Let’s examine a few of the suboptimal situations he puts his team into.

After a first-and-10 incompletion, the NFL average in 2018 was 61% pass on second-and-10. Yet the Texans were 47% run, the seventh-highest rate in the league. Those second-and-10 runs produced an abysmal 14% Success Rate and 3.8 yards per carry. Second-and-10 passes by the Texans produced a 50% Success Rate and 10.2 yards per attempt.

O’Brien has been doing this for years. The three-year league average is 59% pass on second-and-10 plays; O’Brien went a league-high 53% run on second-and-10 plays during that time. If you eliminate fourth-quarter plays, O’Brien jumps to 62% run on second and ten. The 2018 Cowboys led the league at 63% last year but averaged 6.3 yards per carry with a 47% Success Rate. The Texans averaged 3.9 YPC with just 20% success.

Another frustration with the Texans is their usage of the same running back immediately after an explosive run. League-wide over the last three years, when teams handoff to a different running back following a rush of ten or more yards, the next play averages 4.8 YPC with a 49% Success Rate. When teams handoff to the same running back who executed the original explosive play, their yards per carry fall to 4.1 and Success Rate to 43%.

When the same back gets the ball for the Texans following an explosive run, they average 2.6 YPC with a 24% Success Rate. But when they hand off to a new back, that back has averaged 6.2 YPC with a 50% Success Rate. Yet 59% of the time, O’Brien has left in the original back.

Frankly, Bill O’Brien’s Texans are on the unintelligent end of the play-calling spectrum.

And time is running out for the Texans to compete for a championship in Deshaun Watson’s rookie-contract window. 7-of-12 playoff teams last season had quarterbacks on rookie deals. It gives clubs a huge roster-building edge. Watson’s cheap $3-4 million cap hit will expire after the 2020 season, and the Texans have done a terrible job of protecting their young passer. After being pressured on nearly 48% of dropbacks as a rookie in 2017 – most in the NFL among 42 qualified passers – Watson was again pressured on a league-high 45% of dropbacks last year.

O’Brien seems to think he knows how to “protect” Watson, which is by calling first-down runs and getting to third and manageable. O’Brien is wrong. First downs provide offenses with their easiest opportunities to pass the ball. So O’Brien is hurting Watson’s ability to produce by running when defenses are geared up to stop the run.

O’Brien is also too predictable. Due to his league-high first-down run rate, O’Brien follows runs that gain 0-1 yards with passes on second and long at an extraordinary 80% clip. No team threw more second-and-long passes after run stuffs last season, and those predictable throws managed a 42% Success Rate. Unsuccessful second-and-long passes put Watson into too many third-and-long situations. On average, last year’s Texans needed 7.8 yards to go on third downs in the first half, ranking 26th in the NFL.

For years prior to Watson, O’Brien’s quarterback room was an ever-changing mess he pretended he could coach up. He collected bad quarterbacks, shipped them off, then welcomed them back in a circus-like atmosphere.

And now that he has an actual franchise quarterback, O’Brien doesn’t know how to optimize his play-calling to get the most out of Houston’s offense. In desperate need of improving Watson’s protection, the Texans were leapfrogged by the forward-thinking Eagles for prized OT Andre Dillardin the draft. The Texans settled for Alabama State OT Tytus Howard instead, then doubled down with Northern Illinois G/T Max Scharping in the second round. But O’Brien needs to do his share from a play-calling standpoint, especially against a brutal schedule.

@Mrtex - validates your feelings on the defense being "paper tigers"? Maybe. If that is the case then how do you quantify and describe the offense?

Has anyone claimed the offense has been good under OB? But you still seem to insist that the defense has been good since he's been here

Sigh. So you're with the "eye test" guys when it comes to judging a defense yeah? So if I showed you how the Texans D has consistently been if not top 10 - top half in the league when it comes to points and yards you would probably counter with a "but, but .. they didnt face anybody" .. and in the same sentence find a way to praise an 11 game win streak? Which is it?

So how are the Texans winning games? Because of Bill OBriens infinite football knowledge? Luck? Both? None? Just funny to me to hear guys argue for their coach and then try to discredit the main aspect that got their coach to the place he is. So when the team sucks its because of the defense, and when the team is good its because of their defense? Groundbreaking stuff.

Sigh. So you're with the "eye test" guys when it comes to judging a defense yeah? So if I showed you how the Texans D has consistently been if not top 10 - top half in the league when it comes to points and yards you would probably counter with a "but, but .. they didnt face anybody" .. and in the same sentence find a way to praise an 11 game win streak? Which is it?

So how are the Texans winning games? Because of Bill OBriens infinite football knowledge? Luck? Both? None? Just funny to me to hear guys argue for their coach and then try to discredit the main aspect that got their coach to the place he is. So when the team sucks its because of the defense, and when the team is good its because of their defense? Groundbreaking stuff.
Kubiak, the greatest offensive mind in Texans history according to some here, working with the “best” GM we’ve had according to some, won his SB not here, NOT EVEN CLOSE...both had losing records in Houston, had a history of sucking in big games...but because of....well Denver’s D, not O, put together by a GM not named RS. Who cares how we win? Build all three phases like we are now doing.

Way to twist words and make a nice strawman argument. The defense last year failed in some big games as in Indy and Philly. I never said the offense was good, you just won't admit that the defense also had their problems. The entire team sucked in that playoff game but you want to lay it all on the offense. IT WAS A TEAM SUCK!

Kubiak, the greatest offensive mind in Texans history according to some here, working with the “best” GM we’ve had according to some, won his SB not here, NOT EVEN CLOSE...both had losing records in Houston, had a history of sucking in big games...but because of....well Denver’s D, not O, put together by a GM not named RS. Who cares how we win? Build all three phases like we are now doing.

So let me get this straight ... you're going to slander a Houstonian, a lifelong NFL man, a guy who has perfected the WCO and whose offensive system has been successful for 30 years in favor of a pissant positional coach who's only signature moment was when Tom Brady chastised his ass on the sideline? Really? What has Bill OBrien offered the game and the Texans? Kubiak won a championship 2 years after this team said he was not good enough, with the same DC that the team said was not good enough. Talk about Karma. Bill OBrien took over a playoff team and ran it into the ground. He's a pathetic playoff coach and is fools gold. This team wins in spite of him, not because of him and thats almost entirely because of Deshaun Watson and the defense and you are over here talking about year 6 of a rebuild??? Should we compare the rosters at the time each coach took over? "Sucking in big games?" LOLLLLL Bill OBrien playoff teams AVERAGE 12.5 POINTS PER GAME!!!

Bill OBrien over Gary Kubiak?? You're funny! And to your anecdotal niceties - yes Gary Kubiak was the greatest offensive mind this team has had who's better Dom Capers? Bill OBrien??? Yes Rick Smith was the best GM we've had. Who else was better? Charlie Casserly? Brian Gaine? I guess you'll go on to say that Bill OBrien is a pretty good GM too huh?

Its OK to be critical of the team when they deserve it by the way .. not everything has to be rainbows and unicorns.

tenor.gif

Catching Brock Osweiler-thrown balls, Will Fuller recorded 47 receptions for 635 yards and a pair of touchdowns. While he averaged 13.5 yards per reception, he dropped four passes and averaged a 51.1% catch rate. He had a crucial drop in the divisional playoff round too.In 2017, playing ten games, he showed marginal improvement. In an injury-riddled campaign, Fuller caught 28 passes for 423 yards and seven scores. While he improved his catch rate to 56%, he also dropped five balls. After two seasons, Fuller’s hands were in question. then 2018 came around. Though playing just seven games before suffering a torn ACL, Fuller scorched defenses to the tune of 35 catches for 503 yards and four touchdowns. Most impressive: he played the DeAndre Hopkins role, dropping no passes and recording a 71.9% catch rate. Last offseason, Fuller added 15-20 pounds to his frame. Though he’s mute on how much he’s gained in the 2019 offseason, weightlifting with Brian Cushing brought an even bigger Fuller in training camp.
https://texanswire.usatoday.com/201...m_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=pos3headline

Gip’s a good pro, practices hard, he’s come in and learned our system, done a really good job of that. Him and Justin, they talk a lot, good communication. “I think the chemistry in the secondary is getting better and better,” said O’Brien. “There’s some new guys back there with Gip and Bradley Roby and things like that. So, I think it’s getting better and better.”Cornerback Bradley Roby was signed on a one-year $10 million deal which is meant to act as a motivating factor for the former Denver Bronco to prove his worth before being offered a long term deal. Meanwhile, fellow veteran cornerback Briean Boddy-Calhoun was also signed on a one-year deal, while rookies Lonnie Johnson and Xavier Crawford were brought in to further freshen up their secondary"
Note later in article CB Jermaine Kelly is mentioned. He has been cut and replace by Jermaine Ponder.

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/201...m_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=pos3headline

For that you were rightly not brought back after your wives unfortunate passing.

But hey D good try.

So BOB picked all of the bad QB's including Os. But he had nothing to do with picking Watson.

To be fair RS sat on his hands when it came to drafting a QB for over a decade.

Reactions: JB
To be fair RS sat on his hands when it came to drafting a QB for over a decade.

Eh, going to disagree. He used two 2nd round picks to trade for Schaub, so he used draft capital to address the need.

And I know your next point is going to be to point to BB and say he was always drafting some developmental QB behind Brady, but he did draft Yates who won a playoff game for the Texans when Schaub was injured and signed UDFA Keenum who took the Vikings to the NFCCG. Remember it was Kubiak and OB that didn't want to play him.

A picture tells a thousand words.

happygm.jpg

According to Cak and a few of his mob (Not you) this picture meant nothing and wasn't a sign of dysfunction. Cak and I wasted far too much time going back and forth on this.

But I agree with you Watson was a RS pick as was Os in FA. Look at everybody else in the room LOL. There should be no doubt who was making the final call on draft picks.

According to Cak and a few of his mob (Not you) this picture meant nothing and wasn't a sign of dysfunction. Cak and I wasted far too much time going back and forth on this.

But I agree with you Watson was a RS pick as was Os in FA. Look at everybody else in the room LOL. There should be no doubt who was making the final call on draft picks.
Yea you know the Rickster looks pretty dang happy there, actually looks like he just got his nut. Who wouldn't feel that good if they'd just drafted Deshawn Watson ?
Speaking of GMs I wanted to remind you that if you are able to secure that interview with the Texans for their GM position to be sure to remember to address the Chairman/CEO
as Mr McNair and not as Cletus. A word to the wise there SteelB.

He was texting Keenum "I won't ever be calling you again"

......Keenum replied. Hey Bob, why don't you lose my number. I've got a feeling that I'll be leading another franchise to a Conference Championship Game before you and the Texans ever get out of the first or second round.....so take that and shove it up your chin.

......Keenum replied. Hey Bob, why don't you lose my number. I've got a feeling that I'll be leading another franchise to a Conference Championship Game before you and the Texans ever get out of the first or second round.....so take that and shove it up your chin.

So we are going to pretend that the Vikings didn't have the best scoring defense in the league in 2017? Or that his play in 2018 in Denver didn't happen and was replaced by a broken down Flacco? Would he even be playing in Washington had not both of their QB's broke a leg last season? He has "beat out" Nick Foles who was literally seen as a bust until his miracle season with Philly and the most injured QB to ever play the game in Sam Bradford. Maybe he can have another good run and keep perennial backup Colt McCoy on the bench after his broken leg heals.

Osweiler was a Bob McNair pick.

He was the only QB out there to be had. Please you have to get away from the agenda base comments. It was also said Obrien was on board as well. Dude said he watched plenty of his tapes.

What agenda? Atleast now we know who's in charge now.

There were other QB's that could've been drafted. Goff/Wentz.

This still doesn't excuse RS for not drafting a QB high in the first 10 yrs he was here.

Back