Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

D76laQWUcAUCMuB.png

Along with DeAndre Hopkins, the Texans have diverse skill sets in their wide receiver room
BY MICHAEL MANNING • MAY 31, 2019
With Watson’s quick transition from championship-winning college quarterback to dynamic NFL signal-caller, the Texans have been able to show just how well-rounded they are as a side.

Even though J.J. Watt, Jadeveon Clowney and the rest of the defense usually takes center stage, the offense (offensive line excluded) has become a complete, well-rounded unit. And after hitting on a few key picks in recent drafts, the wide receiver corps has become one of the most intriguing in the NFL; one that is full of weapons with very different skillsets and led by PFF’s reigning Offensive Player of the year DeAndre Hopkins, the deep threat out of Notre Dame Will Fuller and the electric Keke Coutee manning the slot.

DEANDRE HOPKINS
DeAndre-Hopkins-HOU_Contested-Catches-OFFSEASON19-1024x576.png

Throughout his six-year career, Hopkins has not had the luxury of strong quarterback play like some of the other top players at the position. Even with that being the case, Hopkins has earned an elite overall grade three times since 2013, tied for the second-most among wide receivers. One of Hopkins’ biggest strengths has been his ability to reel in contested targets; he’s been one of the NFL’s best at turning the 50-50 balls into something more. Since entering the league, he has converted 40-of-91 contested targets into receptions, both of which lead the league.

Of course, Hopkins is much more than just a player that can bring in targets with a defender bearing down on him. In 2018, it was nearly impossible to name an aspect of the passing game without mentioning Hopkins’ being among the best. Showing off how reliable his hands are, Hopkins set the PFF record for most catchable targets without a drop, as he finished the year with an astounding 115 that was nearly double the previous record of 60.

A testament to his ability, Hopkins is one of only two receivers able to lay claim to a top-five grade at multiple depths downfield (Michael Thomas being the other). Hopkins ranked first when targeted short (1-9 yards downfield) with an 89.4 receiving grade, and second on intermediate targets (10-19 yards downfield) with a 96.8 receiving grade. Hopkins will only be 27 years old when the 2019 NFL season kicks off, so the sky really is the limit for the Watson-to-Hopkins connection as it enters Year 3.

WILL FULLER
Will-Fuller-V-HOU_Deep-Target-OFFSEASON19-1024x576.png

While Hopkins is the unquestioned leader of the wide receiver room in Houston, Fuller has been one of the league’s most dangerous targets with Watson under center. Known as simply a deep threat entering the 2016 NFL Draft, Fuller was immediately thrust into that role in the Texans’ offense. The former Notre Dame product’s 34.5% deep-target percentage in 2016 was the highest by a Houston pass-catcher in the PFF era (since 2006), and even though that number has gone down each season, his career deep-target percentage of 30.7% is still sixth among receivers with at least 150 career targets since 2006.

Enter Watson into the fold, and the two became a match made in heaven. The dynamic duo has found the endzone on 17.2% of their completions during their time in the NFL together, a mark that ranks first among tandems with at least 50 targets, and they’ve combined to generate a passer rating of 138.2 that ranks fourth among that same group of players. For comparison, Fuller’s passer rating when targeted by anyone not named Deshaun Watson is just 75.5.

Sadly, Fuller’s 2018 breakout season came to an abrupt halt due to a torn ACL in Week 8, but he still earned a career-high 81.2 overall grade that had jumped up 14.0 points from his previous best. And that’s largely due to his improvement at all levels of the route tree: He improved to a 73.8 grade on short targets and 88.4 on intermediate targets in 2018, both of which were among the top-40 wide receivers. And let’s not forget about his deep prowess, Fuller still earned a 90.1 grade on passes of at least 20 yards downfield.

KEKE COUTEE
D7l9J6uWkAEIuBP.jpg

THE REST OF THE STORY

Per John McClain:

Former Texans tight end Ryan Griffin, released from the team following his arrest, had his misdemeanor vandalism and public intoxication cases dismissed Friday in Nashville, Tenn., according to court records.

Griffin was ordered to pay a total of $195 in court costs during a settlement conference before Judge Melissa Blackburn.

Griffin, 29, was arrested on April 27 during the NFL draft for allegedly breaking a hotel window at the Hotel Indigo.

DeAndre Hopkins was talking about working with the young receivers on the Texans' roster and said he pushes them to work like they can take his job. "I always tell those guys, tell yourself that you want to be No. 1. Don’t look at me as the guy. Come and try and take my spot.":texflag:
That's awesome, unless one of these newbies takes the Tonya Harding approach to sports.:aggressive:

Haven't found any official announcement, but I've tried to calculate when TC starts. The first pre-season game is Aug 8 with Green Bay. By NFL rules, TC, for veterans, can open no earlier than 15 days before this date. So that puts the date on or about Thursday July 25th. Rookies report 7 days earlier. QB's 5 days earlier.

The point, as I see it, is that DWatson should have a slew of good targets this year. There's only one ball to go around and only so many plays per game, so the per receiver catch totals can't be high for everyone. I'll be watching for EFFECTIVE catches, move-the-chain catches, more than catch totals.
He could have Hopkins, AB, Gronk, Kelce, Hill, and Edelman as his targets all day everyday but if our offensive line performs like the typical Devlin coached offensive line it will all mean jack sh1t. Devlin better deliver or Watson will be in trouble!

He could have Hopkins, AB, Gronk, Kelce, Hill, and Edelman as his targets all day everyday but if our offensive line performs like the typical Devlin coached offensive line it will all mean jack sh1t. Devlin better deliver or Watson will be in trouble!
Delete

While with the Jets Devlin coached an OL that produced the best rushing attack in the AFC and third best NFL. First year with Texans our OL allowed the sixth lowest sacks in the AFC. Next year had the eighth best ground attack in AFC with six different starting combinations. In 2017 with six different starting combinations we scored at least 30 points in six games and we threw for the third most TD’s in franchise history and the most 25+ yard completions in franchise history. Last year, like all years was another injury nightmare in his Texans coaching experience. Guy can work just so much magic with the OL he’s had to work with. He’s on firmer ground than many here.

You mentioned V.Smith, I thought Jordan & Jordan was appropriate.
I agree but my point is even if better play (as I'cak said most do in second year) I don't see any reason to think TEs will get more receiving snaps even with injury; OTOH V. Smith if better in preseason could get many more targets even if first three WRs healthy; my two cents. If Oline can give Watson another second, why in world will we have many called plays for RBs? I see #4 being more in control of where ball goes (not saying 'play call' necessarily) and if Miller, Foreman or whomever doesn't create yardage quickly, Watson will pass or get it himself whether we fans think he should or not. If Watson can retain his 68% completion, I expect his total yardage (5,000?) to increase.
Thanks TK for letting me preach!

I kept seeing stories about Watson liking the changes made to the OLine.

Now I'm seeing stories that he has been baptized in the Jordan river on his trip to Israel.

If I read between the lines... it seems to me this is a man that knows this Texans line will get you killed.
:kitten:

I kept seeing stories about Watson liking the changes made to the OLine.

Now I'm seeing stories that he has been baptized in the Jordan river on his trip to Israel.

If I read between the lines... it seems to me this is a man that knows this Texans line will get you killed.
:kitten:
Praising his oline and getting baptized in Israel seems like he's covering all bases. Smart move in my opinion. Lol

Texans are ranked #21...about what one would expect.

https://sports.yahoo.com/cowboys-pa...iefs-los-angeles-lagging-study-153035364.html
Dr. Lewis judges fan bases on three criteria: Fan Equity, Social Equity and Road Equity. Here’s how those break down.

Fan Equity is a matter of judging how well fans support their team by backing up their words with dollars — i.e., how much they spend on everything from season tickets to jerseys. If a team fills its stadium but there’s not much demand past that, their Fan Equity score is lower.

Social Equity is based on a team’s social media reach — i.e., how many followers the team has across various social media channels. A team that’s not able to draw many followers on social isn’t a team with a deep degree of Social Equity.

Road Equity involves measuring how well a team draws on the road, adjusting for team performance. People show up to watch when the Cowboys or Steelers come to town. People don’t show up to watch when, say, the Bengals or Titans do.

https://sports.yahoo.com/cowboys-pa...iefs-los-angeles-lagging-study-153035364.html
Dr. Lewis judges fan bases on three criteria: Fan Equity, Social Equity and Road Equity. Here’s how those break down.

Fan Equity is a matter of judging how well fans support their team by backing up their words with dollars — i.e., how much they spend on everything from season tickets to jerseys. If a team fills its stadium but there’s not much demand past that, their Fan Equity score is lower.

Social Equity is based on a team’s social media reach — i.e., how many followers the team has across various social media channels. A team that’s not able to draw many followers on social isn’t a team with a deep degree of Social Equity.

Road Equity involves measuring how well a team draws on the road, adjusting for team performance. People show up to watch when the Cowboys or Steelers come to town. People don’t show up to watch when, say, the Bengals or Titans do.

To hell with that: Lets rate the best tailgate BBQ and Tex-Mex dishes. Something that really matters.

:coffee:

I can agree.

Last edited:

Hmmm... so selling out the stadium doesn't have the effect many here think it does.

Hmmm... so selling out the stadium doesn't have the effect many here think it does.

Interestingly enough, if you look at the individual equity rankings, the Texans are in the top half of the league when it comes to Fan Equity (#14) and Social Equity (#12). Where they drop to #21 overall is because of Road Equity (#32). If my team is low in any category, I would want it to be there. Travelling to road games is the weakest metric in this calculation, IMHO. There are some recent Super Bowl participants in the lower third of the Road Equity rankings.

Last edited:
Wake me up when he hires a GM.

When is the last time a NFL franchise went into the season without a GM?

Who was the GM? I wonder how many times this has happened in the last 25 yrs. I bet not many times.
You know who. & you're going to say, "That's different."

But to answer the question, "When was the last time?" It was 2018 & it was one of the teams you say we should operate more like.

Haven't found any official announcement, but I've tried to calculate when TC starts. The first pre-season game is Aug 8 with Green Bay. By NFL rules, TC, for veterans, can open no earlier than 15 days before this date. So that puts the date on or about Thursday July 25th. Rookies report 7 days earlier. QB's 5 days earlier.

random thought....... LOST FRANCHISE... Waiting for caserio next year for some reason...... OMG more BOB after...... SAD...... Very sad

NBA season.... gonna be good next year. Go Rockets!!!

random thought....... LOST FRANCHISE... Waiting for caserio next year for some reason...... OMG more BOB after...... SAD...... Very sad

Not really. The rockets have done just about as much as the Texans did this offseason. If anything, the Astros are our last hope for another championship in the near future.

I'd trade every Astros and Rockets championship for a single Lombardi.

Baseball and basket ball......:gun:

If you cant earn it..... guess you got to "trade" for a championship.

Current Texans "Football people" absolutely made a fool of the owner Cal.......... I hope Cal gets some good advise after this post season and blow this Patriot wanna be franchise to kingdom come.

Rockets? Those guys sure like choking on D when the moment gets big. I'll keep it with Astros after the real sport of football is played. Rockets? LOL good one.

Yet the Rockets have been far more successful than the Texans.

Yet they didn't win their first championship for 24(?) years and didn't even start in Houston... are you willing to give the Texans 24+ years after starting as a dream?

Back