Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans agree to terms with Matt Leinart

Aw man! I LIKED Booty! If he ever became the starter we could play that KC and the Sunshine Band song as his theme. Dang!

...“I’m excited for this opportunity,” Leinart said after arriving in Houston on Monday night. “I’m looking for a new start. Obviously, things didn’t go the way I wanted (at Arizona), but it’s time to move on.

“The Texans are a great organization, and I’m really looking forward to working with coach Kubiak.”

Kubiak, a backup during his nine-year career with Denver, likes working with quarterbacks. He called Leinart and talked to him about the benefits of playing for the Texans.

“When I talked to Matt on the phone, I was so impressed with him,” Kubiak said. “He wants to be here. He said, ‘Coach, they (Cardinals) are starting over, and I need a new start, too.’

“He didn’t make excuses for what happened there. There was no bull to him. I like that.”

Leinart, 27, comes to the Texans as the third quarterback behind Matt Schaub and Dan Orlovsky.

“We’re fortunate to get a player like Matt,” Kubiak said. “I like him a lot. This is a positive move for our organization. Matt fits what we do. ...

I was wondering when were gonna hear straight from the Trojan's mouth....

chronic 9-7-10

Considering we have multiple threads and/or lengthy threads on pure speculation, people having differing opinion on an actual transaction is refreshing.

And yet the Derrick Ward signing is only on page 7.

That was a signing that has immediate impact on our team (he will likely play every Sunday).

That was a signing that has immediate impact on our team (he will likely play every Sunday).

That's a reflection of most feeling encouraged or, at least, comfortable by Ward's acquisition, while Leinart's acquisition has stimmulated a great deal of negativity and head scratching. Even most of those who are "good" with the decision, seem to be so more as "resigned" to the move, and with the need to support him because now he is a Texan.

I don't really see why certain folks are upset with this signing. I'm happy with it. Leinart's not a bad backup to have at all in my opinion. I like him a lot better than Orvlosky, that's for sure. Good signing in my opinion.

I don't really see why certain folks are upset with this signing. I'm happy with it. Leinart's not a bad backup to have at all in my opinion. I like him a lot better than Orvlosky, that's for sure. Good signing in my opinion.

Wait, what?
I'm confused.
You're giving Kubiak credit for doing something right?

sorry, couldn't resist
:D

I just don't see how this situation is much different from last season when we had playoff aspirations and started the season with Dan-O and Grossman behind Schaub.
I don't recall everyone crying that the sky was falling because we had a reclamation project as a third string QB back then.
Pretty similar situation if you ask me, other than the fact that a lot of people dislike Lineart personally, because they think he's arrogant, or more likely they're Horns fans who have dislike for him in their DNA.

This is year 2 of Orlovsky and he has not gotten better, so there should be more concern. IMO he was never any good.

The other difference is that Orlovsky and Grossman were here for all of camp as opposed to Leinart coming in.

Who knows, Leinart could learn the playbook and develop locker room good will in a few weeks and we could release Orlovsky. But then we would have no continuity at the back up position going into 2011, assuming Leinart does not like backing up a healthy Schaub.

This fan's issue is with the use of a roster position. Of course, I could turn it into a player development issue, but that is for a later date.

And the move for Warner makes Whisenhunt a whise man.

It made the Cardinals a dominant offensive team who went to the Super Bowl.

So, score card reads Whisenhunt 1....Green 0 in that department.

I have very little sympathy for Leinart. It's like Rick Flair says "You wanna' BE the man? Then you gotta' BEAT the man."

I keep hearing that Whisenhunt brought Warner to Arizona.

But Whisenhunt was hired in 2007 (January).

Warner had been there since 2005.

This is year 2 of Orlovsky and he has not gotten better, so there should be more concern. IMO he was never any good.

The other difference is that Orlovsky and Grossman were here for all of camp as opposed to Leinart coming in.

Who knows, Leinart could learn the playbook and develop locker room good will in a few weeks and we could release Orlovsky. But then we would have no continuity at the back up position going into 2011, assuming Leinart does not like backing up a healthy Schaub.

This fan's issue is with the use of a roster position. Of course, I could turn it into a player development issue, but that is for a later date.

I agree with the concern over the extra roster spot, but I don't recall anyone being up in arms over carrying three QBs into the season last year. People just dislike Leinart, so they don't want that extra spot to be taken by him, but realistically, using that extra spot for him is very similar to using it for Grossman last year. Neither QB is/was considered to be a guy that could have much positive impact by most fans. It's not like there is no precident for using a third roster spot for a reclaimation project at QB...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a reflection of most feeling encouraged or, at least, comfortable by Ward's acquisition, while Leinart's acquisition has stimmulated a great deal of negativity and head scratching. Even most of those who are "good" with the decision, seem to be so more as "resigned" to the move, and with the need to support him because now he is a Texan.

CND makes some good points here. I would also say that Leinart has been the recent national non-Texans news, so he is in more people's consciousness and is at a position (QB)that is often overtalked.

Logically, you are not incorret to think that a regular player should get more space consideration than one we generaly hope never takes a meaningful snap, but reactions and what people want to talk about are not always logic based (see the no spin zone).

well Duuuuh!! What guy doesn't??
oh wait, You mean the QB don't you?

...never mind.
:D

Shake shake shake! (horn section) Shake shake shake! (horns) Shake your...awww you get the idea.

Man I was looking forward to sitting next to Texan Bill in matching Afro wigs.:clown:

From PFT:

Matt Leinart took a big pay cut
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 7, 2010 4:16 PM ET
When Matt Leinart said he wanted to stay in Arizona because it was his best chance to play in 2010, it was part of a high stakes game of chicken with the Cardinals. He was essentially daring Arizona to keep him.

Lost in the negotiating ploy was the fact Arizona did present Leinart his best chance to play and ultimately his best earning potential for 2010.

Word comes from John McClain of the Houston Chronicle that Leinart is only slated to make $600,000 in 2010, with a maximum of $1 million if he reaches incentives.

It's interesting to note that those incentives are tied to his spot on the depth chart, not whether he plays. Leinart gets $23,125 for each game he's designated the team's backup, rather than the inactive No. 3 quarterback.

Even if Leinart was the backup all 16 weeks -- which won't happen -- the salary must be humbling for him. It's a huge reduction from the $2.5 million he was slated to make in Arizona, and less than half of what Texans backup Dan Orlovsky will make.

Leinart didn't want to be a backup at his new location, and he won't be. Yet. He's now a No. 3 quarterback and has the salary to match.

It's up to him whether this marks a career low point or a preview for his next five years.

From McClain's Twitter:

Matt Leinart signed a one-year contract with the Texans today for a base of $630,000. The deal can max out at $1 million.

Leinart gets $23,125 for every game in which he's the No. 2 backup. That doesn't count being designated as the 3rd QB.

Rick Smith is awesome.

Period.

What I wouldn't give to have been a fly on the wall during the Aaron Schobel negotiations.

From PFT:

From McClain's Twitter:
Thanks CND, I've been so curious about this signing. Such a friendly contract for us. There is no chance Leinart beats out Orlovsky at the beginning of the season. Maybe if he had been here all offseason, but that's a stretch.
Rick Smith is awesome.

Period.

What I wouldn't give to have been a fly on the wall during the Aaron Schobel negotiations.
Agreed. I'd love to hear Smith negotiating just about any deal. Upgraded the #3 spot with a guy earning vet minimum that has nothing but upside. Good job Smith.

This is a price that tells me we were the lone hunter. Makes me wonder that much more why Smith wouldn't have forced the option year for at least trade value.

I don't think he had a ton of value but I doubt we're the "lone hunter". I just think Rick Smith has good leverage with the organization seeming like a place players are wanting to come to. I like the little tid-bits like the depth chart bonus. Was Ward's contract amount ever reported?

Its funny b/c just this morning on 1560 someone called in whinning basically saying that aaron schoebel isn't a texan b/c of money "a few extra million"...then you hear about deals like this. Sometimes i wonder how far off we on the outside (including fat boy slim Johnny mac & chesse) really are vs what goes on at the negotiating table.

This is a price that tells me we were the lone hunter. Makes me wonder that much more why Smith wouldn't have forced the option year for at least trade value.

Well, if we were the lone hunter...then maybe Leinart is intent on sticking here for 2010 and 2011, trying to get his stuff fixed before trying to play as a starter in the NFL.

Maybe in Leinart's head, he's looking at 2010 and 2011 as a paid QB Camp where he can try and rebuild his market value.

That's all I got.

Kubiak on Leinart:
"He's obviously a talented young man to have been the 10th pick in the draft," Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. "Those things happen in this business, and it's a chance for him to get a fresh start. We're getting a very smart player who has been productive, and we'll see if we can kind of get the motor going again and all that back. So it's a nice try for us as a football team and it makes us deeper at the quarterback position."

And for those anxiously waiting to go buy their Leinart jersey :P, he will be wearing #9.

Can someone remind me what Orlovsky is getting paid? I know Leinart is #3, and Orlovsky is #2, but didnt Dan get a ridiculous contract for a #2?

Just curious.

3/1/2009: Signed a three-year, $9.15 million contract. The deal included a $2.4 million signing bonus.
2010: $2.25 million, 2011: $2.75 million, 2012: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=nfl&id=3227

2009: He got paid $1.75 million plus the $2.4 million signing bonus.

So Leinart, a top 10 pick, heisman winner, is getting paid less this year than the man who holds the NFL record for consecutive losses. Talk about humbling a person. I guess this reveals how bad of a contract Orlovsky got, or how cheap we got Leinart. Maybe a little of both.

So Leinart, a top 10 pick, heisman winner, is getting paid less this year than the man who holds the NFL record for consecutive losses. Talk about humbling a person. I guess this reveals how bad of a contract Orlovsky got, or how cheap we got Leinart. Maybe a little of both.
Probably a little bit of both, more concentrated to Leinart being cheap. Pretty sure $620K is vet minimum.

To put it in perspective with other deals with backups when we signed Orlovsky:

Chris Simms - 2 years, $6 million including $1.5 million signing bonus.
Luke McCown - 2 years, $7.5 million including $2.5 million signing bonus.
Ryan Fitzpatrick - 3 years, $8 million including $1.2 million signing bonus.
Sage Rosenfels - 3 years, $9 million including $1.4 million signing bonus.

Dan Orlovsky - 3 years, $9.1 million including $2.4 millions signing bonus.

Last edited:
Can someone remind me what Orlovsky is getting paid? I know Leinart is #3, and Orlovsky is #2, but didnt Dan get a ridiculous contract for a #2?

Depends on how you define ridiculous. Vick is on the second year of a 2 year $6.8 mil contract to be the 3rd now 2nd QB. Leinart made about $8 mil to backup Warner last year. VY made over $10 mil in two years backing up Collins. HWWNBN got a 2 year $6.2 mil deal in Carolina 4 years ago.

Probably a little bit of both, more more concentrated to Leinart being cheap. Pretty sure $620K is vet minimum.

To put it in perspective with other deals with backups when we signed Orlovsky:

Chris Simms - 2 years, $6 million including $1.5 million signing bonus.
Luke McCown - 2 years, $7.5 million including $2.5 million signing bonus.
Ryan Fitzpatrick - 3 years, $8 million including $1.2 million signing bonus.
Sage Rosenfels - 3 years, $9 million including $1.4 million signing bonus.

Dan Orlovsky - 3 years, $9.1 million including $2.4 millions signing bonus.

I guess I listened to the noise out there that this was a bad pickup and that was my perspective on it. Thanks for the education.

I keep hearing that Whisenhunt brought Warner to Arizona.

But Whisenhunt was hired in 2007 (January).

Warner had been there since 2005.

you are correct, sir.
but the point was that Leinart was brought in by Green to be "the guy" because it looked like Warner didn't have it any more.

I'm thinking Cali-boy Leinart and southern boy Whisenhunt just never really clicked.

A large part of my discontent is because there is no future with Leinart. Not as a QB, and not as a trading commodity.

So the risk is not only higher than the reward, there's actually no reward there at all. It's ALL risk.

Do we want a Pouty Face no-good QB in our locker room? People like David Carr and Matt Leinart need to wise up and realize their future is in modeling and not in quarterbacking. It's just how it is.

So the good looking cant be good qbs.....well that explains why I cant make a NFL team.

Seriously get over your jealousy of David Carr. He was a good looking guy that was #1 pick...big deal. He is gone He wasnt destructive to our team or any team he has been on. He was just a shell shocked Qb that didnt work out. They got rid of him. I think Schaub has had a lot more slack since he has a joe public look to him. I am willing to bet during his first two injury plauged years he would have been ripped if had the GQ look about him.

Give Matt Leinart a chance before running the same smack you used with DC.

He is better than dano and I believe that super bowl champ David Carr would be as well.

I think it's too early to say that. He's been here 3 years and only played one complete season. And like I said before, he had a financial incentive last season.
I realize that this is a Leinart thread. But can you (or anyone) explain how a "financial incentive" to stay healthy works? Inquiring minds want to know.

I realize that this is a Leinart thread. But can you (or anyone) explain how a "financial incentive" to stay healthy works? Inquiring minds want to know.

Schaub had a $10,000,000 option to be paid after last season. So, if he stunk the place up, they could have released him without paying that option.

But I think that Schaub had played well enough the first couple of years that they would have kept him unless he really had a very bad year. I don't buy into the "he stayed healthy to get that money" thing.

Tell that fellow Schaub, he might seriously consider staying healthy........or else.................

vitocorleone.jpg

Already did in this post.

Schaub had a $10,000,000 option to be paid after last season. So, if he stunk the place up, they could have released him without paying that option.

But I think that Schaub had played well enough the first couple of years that they would have kept him unless he really had a very bad year. I don't buy into the "he stayed healthy to get that money" thing.

I'm not saying that's necessarily the case either. Maybe he proved he isn't injury prone anymore by playing all 16 games. I'm not sure that the roster bonus was the reason why he did it, but I think it's worth mentioning.

Whatever the case may be, I'm still not convinced that Schaub's going to play all 16 games again this year. For that reason, I'm glad that Leinart's on the roster now.

Whatever the case may be, I'm still not convinced that Schaub's going to play all 16 games again this year.
I'm not either. Mainly because a) he holds on to the ball for the longest trying to make plays downfield and b) that's the nature of the position. Less than half the starting QBs in the league started all 16 games last season.

But, to suggest that Schaub's pain threshold was higher in 2009 than previous years due to an impending bonus is totally baseless. Matt tried to play on a torn MCL in the 2008 Vikings game. That Kubiak allowed him to was insane. But, it certainly proved what Schaub was willing to do for the team.

But, to suggest that Schaub's pain threshold was higher in 2009 than previous years due to an impending bonus is totally baseless. Matt tried to play on a torn MCL in the 2008 Vikings game. That Kubiak allowed him to was insane. But, it certainly proved what Schaub was willing to do for the team.

I'm good now, I feel if Schaub can possibly be in the game, he's going to be in the game.

I even feel within reason, he's going to play well, even when he isn't 100%.

What I worry about, is that our running game doesn't work as well as we want, when we want, & I'm hoping the defense will win some games (a little different than not losing).

So the good looking cant be good qbs.....well that explains why I cant make a NFL team.

Seriously get over your jealousy of David Carr. He was a good looking guy that was #1 pick...big deal. He is gone He wasnt destructive to our team or any team he has been on. He was just a shell shocked Qb that didnt work out. They got rid of him. I think Schaub has had a lot more slack since he has a joe public look to him. I am willing to bet during his first two injury plauged years he would have been ripped if had the GQ look about him.

Give Matt Leinart a chance before running the same smack you used with DC.

He is better than dano and I believe that super bowl champ David Carr would be as well.

No, even when Schaub was getting hurt because of bad pocket awareness and holding onto the ball too long...he still had the other skills to make himself a good QB.

Carr and Leinart do not. The main thing they lack, that Schaub has, is a self-respect and passion for getting better. Schaub began throwing the ball away when there wasn't a play. He's changing his habits.

Carr and Leinart are two QBs who are not bad QBs because they are handsome. They just happen to be bad QBs who are handsome. Go with what works for ya', and what works for them is the looks.

Seems like I was actually giving them some credit for being of some service to society.

No, even when Schaub was getting hurt because of bad pocket awareness and holding onto the ball too long...he still had the other skills to make himself a good QB.

Carr and Leinart do not. The main thing they lack, that Schaub has, is a self-respect and passion for getting better. Schaub began throwing the ball away when there wasn't a play. He's changing his habits.

Carr and Leinart are two QBs who are not bad QBs because they are handsome. They just happen to be bad QBs who are handsome. Go with what works for ya', and what works for them is the looks.

Seems like I was actually giving them some credit for being of some service to society.

I can only surmise that you must be an ugly sumbitch, GP... lol

I'm not either. Mainly because a) he holds on to the ball for the longest trying to make plays downfield and b) that's the nature of the position. Less than half the starting QBs in the league started all 16 games last season.

I'm not sure about his pain threshold being higher in any one year than another. I just know that he hit an incentive by playing all 16 games.

I think if there wasn't a roster bonus waiting at the end of the season, I don't think he would have come back in the game after the shoulder injury against Jacksonville. Maybe I'm jaded, but I've seen it happen before too often.

Is that the only reason why he made it all 16 games? I don't think so. Does it factor in? I think we're fooling ourselves if we don't consider it.

Back to Leinart........we're one more Matt Schaub injury away from hearing names like "Glass Joe", "Matty Ice Pack" and "Schaubelier" again, especially if it happens early in the season.

I like the signing as long as it means Orlovsky can be an ex-Texan after the bye week. Orlovsky was a bad choice and why they gave him such an outlandish contract is still a mystery. At least with Leinart, the money is small and its only one year. I would imagine he would get another year added on if he does win the backup job. That way, if he gets playing time (and we all hope he doesn't get time due to a Schaub injury) but if he does, it would give us a chance to possibly trade him somewhere for something in return if he shows well.

As for people speculating about Matt and him playing 16 games for an incentive clause, that is just ridiculous. Matt is a gamer and has shown to be all about football and not about glamour, advertising, or worrying about his hair. Yeah, he made money due to him surviving the season, but I tend to think he made even more money by playing at a VERY HIGH level last year.

Schaub had a great year. Not sure if he can duplicate it, but if he can approach that level of play and our coaches get their head out of their ass and the defense improves, we could have a good year. It may be asking a lot for all that..especially the coaching part. you can't hide bad coaching and bad decision making..and we have had plenty of that since Kubiak arrived.

If you mean that we are predicting his present motives and actions based on well reported past behaviors....Yes! I tend to believe a lot of what i've read in nearly every sports publication in the country since he was drafted.
As far as downside....If Schaub goes down....from games I've watched this guy play...I'd say there was a lot of downside...

Did we just upgrade our roster? Yes.
Did we just hamstring ourselves with a big contract? No.
Were we going to pick up someone from anywhere to step right in and put up Shaub numbers if he went down? Hell no.

Where is this downside again?
This isn't a situation where there were a lot of able QBs sitting around and we chose the wrong one. This was a simple flier for cheap that could end up paying off.

Also until the guy gets into your locker room you just do not know what is going to happen. This isn't TO who has proven with multiple teams that he will eventually cause problems. This is a young QB that had a lot thrown at him who didn't handle it the right way. You don't think that can be fixed?

The reports about his personality were an explanation as to why he wasn't handed the starting role. Don't take these reports as the Bible you snarky sumbich. :strangle: Reporters want to make news and a high draft pick struggling is news. Just wait and see was obviously the point I was making and that's exactly the attitude we should have about a freaking FLIER.

Maybe he works out maybe he doesn't. Either way it won't hurt us. NO DOWNSIDE.

Back