Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans agree to terms with Matt Leinart

Of course he was angry about not being "The Guy" in Arizona.

When you're staring down the barrel of the "I just got demoted and replaced by Derrick Anderson" gun, you're going to be upset about it. Because it's a reflection of how bad you suck. It's a wake-up call.

And now we get to be a part of his drama. We've co-signed on Leinart's career.

A lot of us just think it's hilarious, to tell you the truth. There's players who show flashes of promise. Do you really sense that in Leinart? Or is it the allure of his college years and that maybe he's not as bad as he has shown?

Our Plan B for QBs and RBs could cost us this year. It really could. All the tight ends and WRs in the world cannot counter a shaky backup QB and RB situation. I'm just nowhere near the idea that Leinart is an acceptable backup in this league.

What's also funny is that several teams are ridding themselves of guys you'd never think would be cut this soon in their careers: Houshmanzadeh, Leinart, etc. I've seen a lot of guys hit the curb and yet other teams can't control themselves from scooping them up off waivers. It's like fantasy football: "Ooh! Someone let HIM go? Oh man, this is waiver wire heaven right here!!!"

Nobody could work out a trade for him, not even a 7th rounder. Wouldn't you take at least a 7th rounder rather than get nothing at all? And we seem to have been bidding against only one other team. Maybe even against ourselves the whole time.

It's bizarre, and a lot of fans feel that way. Not just me.

The only winner in this entire situation is the blonde former USC basketball player that is Matt's "Baby-Momma".

She still gets to collect the child support check.

Hey, if Az has to pick up the check on him, why not go for a guy like Leinhart. You pay hiim a small one year deal, he gets his fat check from Arizona. In the meantime, I'm happy knowing that Kubes saw our backups and realized something needed to be done and didn't wait til mid way through the year to do something about it.

I dont understand what people think we were suppose to find in a backup QB. Of the 32 of them, how many are NOT woefully inexperienced, washouts or wash uped?

Of last years playoff teams, Id argue strongly 10 of the 12 would have seen a major dropoff if they'd been forced into plan B at QB. That didnt make them bad teams. That made them normal for the NFL.

Seeing as how the Super Bowl runner up and team that thumps us every fricken year has the worst backup in the league...Im not gonna freak over Matt Leinart being the back up to the back up.

And Im really confused about where we are suppose to find a guy who can come in and run the offense without a drop off. I mean, they exist, but as starters on other teams.

Im not a Leinart fan either, but this is an awful lot of whining over the 3rd string QB.

Hey, if Az has to pick up the check on him, why not go for a guy like Leinhart. You pay hiim a small one year deal, he gets his fat check from Arizona. In the meantime, I'm happy knowing that Kubes saw our backups and realized something needed to be done and didn't wait til mid way through the year to do something about it.

Bob Allen just reported the reason the Cards cut Leinart lose is that he didn't study the Playbook and wasn't a leader.

Kubiak better have read him the Riot Act then.

Two problems Matt Leinart had in Arizona. One, Leinart was drafted by Denny Green. He was never Ken Whisenhut's guy. As long as Leinart was there, Whisenhut would never be able to go out and get his kind of QB.

The 2nd problem Leinart had in Arizona? He isn't a good NFL QB. That's not likely to change in Houston.

You know whats funny about this whole thread... We fans are debating on the signing of a 3rd String QB instead of starters....

Gotta say, that makes things move a little.....Means the team is pretty solid....

Hate to break it to ya but.....Leinart was brought in to be the backup because the idea of having Dan Overthrow as the backup was keeping people up at night. I know he ran out of the endzone and into some fans hearts doesnt mean anyone felt safe with him if Schaub went down.

Leinart has won NFL games.....how many has DanO won?

Debate over in my mind.

Smithiak are doing all they can to show they are putting the best 53 out there.

Imagine the outcry against management if Matt Schaub went down and Dan O remembered he was Dan "Saftey Dance" Orlovsky and not the John Elway of the motor city peoiple on here claimed he was. They now have a qb who was a winner in college and if you go by TT logic then that is the only criteria for a qb. ( see draft vince threads)

I can now sleep easy knowing that DanO is not the only safeguard at the Texans most important position.

First of all, every team's "plan b" can cost them at any position depending on who it is. The colts lived with Jim Sorgi as a back-up for years & now have Curtis Painter. You think Chase McDaniel is gonna run that Saints offense like Brees can?

From what i've seen of the kid, he doesn't do anything eye-popping, but he seems to be solid as a decision maker as long as he is protected well enough..unlike Orlovsky. His problems stem from his arm strength being of little league caliber...which he supposedly worked on in the offseason with Carson Palmer. Having said that, that was the knock on schaub & kubes has done a great job with him. If he can fill in for a couple of games here & there & stay away from the Rosencopter/Orlovsky idiotic decisions, he'll be fine for us.

When he started a few games for Green, he didn't look all that bad to me...especially for a rookie. Green gets canned the next year i believe, he is assumed to be the heir apparent but Wisenhunt has other plans & the rest is history. I hjonestly believe wisenhunt wanted to get rid of him from the moment he stepped into AZ & maybe Leinart sensed that.

But its like others have been saying, This signing is a low risk, high reward type deal... but it will only work if he accepts Kubes' tuteledge & his role as a back-up in this league b/c i honestly don't think anyone's gonna give him another shot at becoming a starter.

For the life of me, I don't get what this "high reward" is for having signed Leinart. As he stands now he is a bust. I was sick to my stomach when I heard the news on Mike and Mike this morning. The only reward that can come is if Kubiak can somehow work a miracle with this guy and resurrect his carreer and get trade value from him. Other wise this is just a waste of money and roster spot. I don't see it. And I have watched him play. He can't hit the broad side of a barn.

How is Kubiak going to turn this bum into something he isn't? That's what you said about DC.

Two problems Matt Leinart had in Arizona. One, Leinart was drafted by Denny Green. He was never Ken Whisenhut's guy. As long as Leinart was there, Whisenhut would never be able to go out and get his kind of QB.

The 2nd problem Leinart had in Arizona? He isn't a good NFL QB. That's not likely to change in Houston.

And he's never been interested in PRACTICE.............I mean, it's just PRACTICE.........It's PRACTICE........:cool:

We could bring in this guy

1206047142_1333.jpg

He could also fill in for Cushing while he's out.

Just talk about his momma i dare you.

But something is wrong with his medulla oblongata!!

For the life of me, I don't get what this "high reward" is for having signed Leinart. As he stands now he is a bust. I was sick to my stomach when I heard the news on Mike and Mike this morning. The only reward that can come is if Kubiak can somehow work a miracle with this guy and resurrect his carreer and get trade value from him. Other wise this is just a waste of money and roster spot. I don't see it. And I have watched him play. He can't hit the broad side of a barn.

high relative to our situation..... combined with what you said, it is high from the perspective of having nothing in Dan O./JDB to a guy who at least has won a few games in this league.

The guy stinks. No-one else in the league considered hm except Seattle. That is what I don't like about it. A guy with a handle like yours is looking through rose colored glasses and is not pissed off we haven't been to the playoffs yet. You probably think winning meaningless games at the end of the year makes a difference after the season has already been lost months before.

Hopefully Texans fans give Leinart a chance. Kinda like they did HWNSNBM or K.Brown.

Try to judge him by what you see of him as a Texan. Not for what he did as a Card. Be fair in your judgements.

This move spoke volumes of Kubes confidence in Dan O.

Man I've read what all the nay Sayers have to say but bottom line is he a Texan now and he has my support so GOOD LUCK MATT your now my favorite 3rd string qb

Sometimes things like this change guys' perspective and attitude about the game. Exhibit A: bernard pollard. the guy went from an arrogant high draft pick to a street FA. the whole ordeal humbled the guy & helped him rededicate himself as a pro. Plus, if we had listened to some of the rumors about this guy before we picked him up, who knows where we would've been as a defense. Hell, NFL rb's might still be running right now.

The guy stinks. No-one else in the league considered hm except Seattle. That is what I don't like about it. A guy with a handle like yours is looking through rose colored glasses and is not pissed off we haven't been to the playoffs yet. You probably think winning meaningless games at the end of the year makes a difference after the season has already been lost months before.

Ouch...

It's a one year deal. If CoachK doesn't like what he sees after the first month or so, we can cut him & it would cost us nothing. Worse case scenario, if something happens to Shaub, we send DanO out there to save the day. Best case scenario, we send someone better.

A just reported very sobering tale from NFL.com

Leinart has tough sell to change perceptions about his game By Steve Wyche NFL.com
Senior Writer
David Stluka / Associated Press
Matt Leinart will have to be a self-starter to improve with limited reps behind starter Matt Schaub in Houston.

Matt Leinart's NFL options looked bleak after being cut this weekend by the Arizona Cardinals, but the Houston Texans stepped forward and signed the deposed Cardinals quarterback to a one-year deal, perhaps saving his career, even if momentarily. Leinart is going to a situation that will show he either wasn't in an ideal system for his skill set, or that he simply isn't an NFL starter.

Though there is a good chance Leinart will never see game time behind highly-productive starter Matt Schaub, he will be learning a system that could help him overcome his shortcomings -- or further expose them (that is, if he doesn't end up running scout team behind Dan Orlovsky).

The Texans run a timing-based system where the quarterback has to quickly get the ball out of his hands -- something Leinart didn't go a good job of in Arizona. Houston's passing game also isn't effective if the quarterback isn't accurate, another issue for Leinart with the Cardinals.

A defensive coach I spoke with recently gave me this scouting report on Leinart:

» Has arm strength to make almost all of the throws, but he throws "soft" passes, which sometimes hang and are easy to deflect or intercept.

» Accuracy is an issue.

» Anticipation of when to throw the ball is problematic. He is like many quarterbacks who come out of college having played in a system with receivers who typically got so wide open there is no urgency to throw the ball at a certain time or at certain points of a route. In the NFL, breaks out of routes and shifts in coverages have to be anticipated because of the make-up speed of defensive backs.

» Has a tendency to pat the ball before his release, a trigger that opposing defensive coaches and players pick up on quickly.

Some of these issues can be fixed, and there's little doubt Texans quarterbacks coach Greg Knapp will put in the time to help. But how much time? Houston's coaches need to prepare for real games, not teach a backup quarterback the system. So Leinart is going to have to be self-motivated to improve.

But no matter how much he learns, he might not be able to put anything on film with the Texans, now that the preseason is complete. That means perceptions of Leinart won't likely change for potential suitors next year.

Side notes to Leinart saga

» It shouldn't be surprising that Leinart's former USC coach, Pete Carroll, didn't try too hard to sign him in Seattle. Matt Hasselbeck is the starter and the team invested a lot to acquire and groom Charlie Whitehurst, so Leinart would have been no better than a scout-team QB with the Seahawks. He wouldn't want that and Carroll might not want that for him also.

The silence from Kansas City and coach Todd Haley -- Leinart's former offensive coordinator in Arizona -- is more telling. If Haley thought Leinart would be effective in his system, a system he brought from Arizona, don't you think he'd be leaning on general manager Scott Pioli to bring him in behind Matt Cassel instead of relying on Brodie Croyle as the No. 2?

» What was discussed more by some coaches and agents that I spoke with over the weekend wasn't why Leinart didn't succeed, but rather why Arizona didn't make a move this offseason to either deal Leinart or acquire someone other than Derek Anderson to compete for the starting job. OK, they made a play for Whitehurst, who ended up in Seattle, but when Donovan McNabb, Marc Bulger and Sage Rosenfels were made available, the Cardinals held tight.

Time to add Anderson?

With Matt Leinart finished in Arizona, what does that mean for veteran Derek Anderson's fantasy value? Michael Fabiano breaks down the impact for owners. More ... The Cardinals knew who and what Leinart was and they knew the locker room dynamic well before Kurt Warner ever retired, however, they banked on Leinart maturing, improving, and his teammates finally buying into him. There wasn't a lot of second-guessing at the time because Leinart's collegiate reputation and flashes as a pro bought him a ton of faith. Yet, did you hear any of Leinart's teammates coming to his defense this offseason the same way a heap of Eagles backed Kevin Kolb, who stepped in for McNabb in Philly?

It's a good gamble don't listen to the media, we know what we have in Orlovsky, at least the fans do & its a scarey thought if something where to happen to Schaub :eek:

It's a good gamble don't listen to the media, we know what we have in Orlovsky, at least the fans do & its a scarey thought if something where to happen to Schaub :eek:

that's a scary thought regardless if was Dan O. , booty, Lienart or rosenfels...this is what some here don't understand. If we wound up having to go to ANY 1 of these guys with the schedule we have...:tiphat: to the season.

17 page in less than a day about our new potential 3rd string quarterback?

Sheesh, you guys need to get some perspective here. Its our 3rd string qb. A few years ago, our 3rd string QB was Owen Daniels.

I doubt Leinart will even be activated on most game days.

17 pages? Wow. There are much more interesting things to discuss

Matt is starting. The good Matt, not the other kind...

Right!! The q-tip swab or the party boi???

Hopefully Texans fans give Leinart a chance. Kinda like they did HWNSNBM or K.Brown.

Try to judge him by what you see of him as a Texan. Not for what he did as a Card. Be fair in your judgements.

This move spoke volumes of Kubes confidence in Dan O.

Really?? Isn't it people like you that point out Kris sucked in Pittsburgh? Did you not bring up Kris' experiences in Pittsburgh and now you expect people to forgive Lienart's indescretions and more importantly his suckitude in Phoenix?

Not jacking with you, but cheese and rice man, be consistent...

BTW, Rackers sucks!! He'll do alright this season, but he's no George Blanda, Tony Fritsch, Al Del Greco or Kris Brown........

Most of yall look at it as a mistake, some look at it as a ehhh, who cares about the 3rd string QB. Look at it from this prospective, say Kubaik get's Leinart's head on strait and makes him serviceable, then turns around and trades him for a 3rd or 4th round pick...

anybody gonna complain then? Kubiak did the same thing to Sage....

Right!! The q-tip swab or the party boi???

Really?? Isn't it people like you that point out Kris sucked in Pittsburgh? Did you not bring up Kris' experiences in Pittsburgh and now you expect people to forgive Lienart's indescretions and more importantly his suckitude in Phoenix?

Not jacking with you, but cheese and rice man, be consistent...

BTW, Rackers sucks!! He'll do alright this season, but he's no George Blanda, Tony Fritsch, Al Del Greco or Kris Brown........

Never have said a word about Brown's Pittsburgh days.

Did say he should've been cut after the Tack game last yr.

Did question She Tex's KB love. She explained it and it made me admire KB a whole lot more. With that said I'm glad they kept Rackers over KB. Not that I think Rackers is a world beater.

Sheesh, you guys need to get some perspective here. Its our 3rd string qb. A few years ago, our 3rd string QB was Owen Daniels.

Considering we have multiple threads and/or lengthy threads on pure speculation, people having differing opinion on an actual transaction is refreshing.

I don't get around here too often lately, but I love this signing.

Perfect situation for both parties. Leinart needed to come to town with a humble attitude. I would think venture to say that he's not humble, he's suicidal.

I also think that Kubes has the skills to rebuild him. Matt's got the physical skills to start right now. If he isn't right between his ears, he'll have Kubes yelling in one of those ears just like we've seen him do with Carr, Sage, and DanO.

Not to mention, Matt's only healthy year in Houston also happened to be a contract year.

We've got finally got competition at QB in H-Town....makes me proud to be an American where competition actually yields results.

Some of you guys are assuming quite a bit about a guy's personality when I'm pretty sure you haven't met him much less seen him work off camera. Let's hold off on predicting what a guy's intentions are for the season (phoning it in just to look good for other teams? really?) until he at least freaking straps a helmet on for us.

Some people on here are such alarmists it's absurd.

The guy is a freaking 3rd string QB and could possibly make our sucky 2nd stringer obsolete. If he doesn't work out we can cut him at any time. THERE IS NO DOWNSIDE. Revis Christ people.

Some of you guys are assuming quite a bit about a guy's personality when I'm pretty sure you haven't met him much less seen him work off camera. Let's hold off on predicting what a guy's intentions are for the season (phoning it in just to look good for other teams? really?) until he at least freaking straps a helmet on for us.

Some people on here are such alarmists it's absurd.

The guy is a freaking 3rd string QB and could possibly make our sucky 2nd stringer obsolete. If he doesn't work out we can cut him at any time. THERE IS NO DOWNSIDE. Revis Christ people.

If you mean that we are predicting his present motives and actions based on well reported past behaviors....Yes! I tend to believe a lot of what i've read in nearly every sports publication in the country since he was drafted.
As far as downside....If Schaub goes down....from games I've watched this guy play...I'd say there was a lot of downside...

I don't know what's gone on in Leinart's past, but having the chance to play for a coach who wants him on the roster and being around a guy like Schaub could really help him.

Warner was good for him too but I think him being so old and the fact that they were in direct competition put a damper on their relationship. In this case the situation is completely clear with Schaub as the #1 guy. Also Schaub is closer in age, has gone on to have tremendous success after his previous team never gave him a chance, has gotten that big NFL contract and lives a boring low-key lifestyle that Leinart frankly needs to imitate.

I don't know how much of the dirty rumors about Leinart are true (poor work ethic, doesn't work hard, wants to party more than he wants to play football) but he won't last with the Texans long if any of that manifests itself here. I know Kubiak wouldn't have brought him here if he thought any of that was an issue.

I don't know what's gone on in Leinart's past, but having the chance to play for a coach who wants him on the roster and being around a guy like Schaub could really help him.

Warner was good for him too but I think him being so old and the fact that they were in direct competition put a damper on their relationship. In this case the situation is completely clear with Schaub as the #1 guy. Also Schaub is closer in age, has gone on to have tremendous success after his previous team never gave him a chance, has gotten that big NFL contract and lives a boring low-key lifestyle that Leinart frankly needs to imitate.

I don't know how much of the dirty rumors about Leinart are true (poor work ethic, doesn't work hard, wants to party more than he wants to play football) but he won't last with the Texans long if any of that manifests itself here. I know Kubiak wouldn't have brought him here if he thought any of that was an issue.

True. Agree on all points. Our offense is so intricate and well put together that no way in hell does Kubiak let anyone come in and disrupt it.

I believe that everyone deserves a second chance. My confusion about all of this is when will we have time to re-build this guy? This season is very important, and Kubiak and our coaches have to focus on winning week to week, not rebuilding another human being. Guess we will see.

And, you make a great point about simply being wanted. Whizenhunt didn't, and Kubiak does. That could really help the guy with his motivation. It happens.

Here's some perspective: We're talking about a guy with raw talent and bad development who might replace Orlovsky, which on this team is a big deal.

After reading (most) of the posts int this 18 page thread, let me try and sum it up.

1. We're screwed if Schaub goes down no matter who's the backup. (DanO, Weiner, or Booty). And yes, I deliberately misspelled and making fun of Leinart there.

2. We're screwed if Schaub goes down.

3. It's raining outside.

4. Need. Coffee. This. Morning.

Back