Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

State of the O-line

Semantics - it was an illegal block by about a yard, but close enough (and designed well enough) that he got away with it. The point is we'd have sent 4 receivers 20 yards deep for a sack, or max protect with nobody open for a sack. Or Miller up the middle.

We won't have the opportunity to get away with something creative and successful.

Don't worry the one time we use a creative play successfully we will make sure we run the same play the next 3 weeks in the same spot, because consistency(referring to the Coutee end around)

Just watching the tape, our offense as a whole is a very poorly coached unit, and our oline appears to be probably the worst coached unit in the entire NFL. I understand there is a lack of talent on our line that needs to get addressed, but just the mental gaffs that are being made, and the types of blocks that are being asked to be executed just screams horrible coaching to me. The Saints were very upset they were losing Kelemente, he was a guy that might not have been a starter for them but he was plug and play anywhere a long the line for them and he performed fairly well at most positions he was put in. That shows he is an intelligent player, same with Fulton a long thee interior for the Chiefs. Nick Martin might never get the power back he use to have due to his ankle injuries, but he is still a highly intelligent player. Yet these 3 guys still have a hard time switching off blocks, to pick up a stunt or a blitz. This screams coaching to me

Haven't seen you for awhile... good to see you back

Agree with your post, but I think Lamm has been improving. Does he have any PS squad time left? With such abysmal coaching it's really hard to judge any of these guys. Lamm is just inconsistent as hell. Texans can do better

Issues at work have kept me away but thanks for the welcome back.

This is Lamm's 4th year in the League so he probably doesn't have any time left on the PS. But, to be honest, I'm not sure he spent that much time, if any, on the PS so he may have time left. Lamm, like Davenport and Martin, is inconsistent and I just don't know how much of that is coaching (or lack of coaching) and how much is just a lack of talent and not having the physical tools to be better. If I had to guess, it's probably a combination of both!

Reactions: JB
take it for what it's worth, someone said they rewatched the Texans game and timed from snap until first sign of pressure this last game. He said most every pass play time to pressure was between 1.5-2 seconds.

PFF said he was pressured on 18 of 33 dropbacks.

Over 40% is horrible and they are now getting into over 50%

PFF said he was pressured on 18 of 33 dropbacks.

Over 40% is horrible and they are now getting into over 50%

They were around 50% the first 3 weeks, dropped to 36% against the colts and then a season low(career low for Watson) 20% against the Cowboys. Only to have a season worse 55% the following week, gross

take it for what it's worth, someone said they rewatched the Texans game and timed from snap until first sign of pressure this last game. He said most every pass play time to pressure was between 1.5-2 seconds.

Premium-Speed-Bump-Kit-75mm-Heavy-Duty-Very-Severe-P-756470-30.jpg

I see Little in the same light as Tunsil. Perfect no, but overall he's performed well against some of the best DL in college. If he was on the Texans today he would be their starting LT and the most athletically gifted OL on the team. His late father was a solid NFL player, so the game isn't too big for him.
I am hoping to see several OL move up during last half of college season. One of my concerns are some look good compared to others but not so good when evaluated on their in game play.

While we definitely need an infusion of talent on the OL, I think we need a new coach as well. I was listening to 610 last week and Wade Smith mentioned he noticed major issues with how the coaches were asking the lineman to block. He mentioned Nick Martin specifically. He said they were asking Martin to do things that would be difficult for a hall of fame level player. Also, we can all be upset at Smith for signing a guy like Lamm, but someone has convinced management to keep him around all these years

Outside of the line, Griffin and Miller are a joke in pass pro. I’ve seen both players give extremely poor effort blocking. What good is to max protect if the extra blockers suck. I think it would be better to have more receivers in the field to give Watson more options to get rid of the ball quicker.

Finally, I’ve noticed when Watson does break the pocket and roll out there are times when there are no receivers on his side of the field. These guys have to be coached to work back towards the qb. It would set up some potential big plays
Jordan Thomas was drafted as he has reasonable catching abilities and could be a blocker but he is not being used. 2017 Davenport was used as a super tackle to offer more blocking but I haven't noticed a super tackle on either side this season. If protecting Watson and give him 3 seconds to pass is an issue and it is why not utilise these options?

Jordan Thomas was drafted as he has reasonable catching abilities and could be a blocker but he is not being used. 2017 Davenport was used as a super tackle to offer more blocking but I haven't noticed a super tackle on either side this season. If protecting Watson and give him 3 seconds to pass is an issue and it is why not utilise these options?
Thomas, like all of the TEs have shown poor pass blocking. Martinas and Sharpe are all that's left. Sharp has always been considered a huge OT that moves laterally as well as a stump.

Houston tackle Julie’n Davenport has allowed the most pressures in the NFL this season (32)

Houston tackle Martinas Rankin has allowed the second-most pressures in the NFL this season (27)

— Mike Renner (@PFF_Mike) October 17, 2018

Total Quarterback Hits allowed through Week 6:

NO: 17
CAR, DET: 18
CHI: 19
LAR: 20
NYJ: 21
CIN: 23
PIT: 24
LAC: 25
MIA, TEN, WAS: 28
BAL, NE: 29
TB: 34
OAK: 35
JAX, SEA: 36
ARI, KC: 37
DAL, GB: 38
BUF: 39
IND, NYG: 40
DEN, SF: 42
MIN: 43
PHI: 48
ATL, CLE: 49
HOU: 70

— Johnny Kinsley (@Brickwallblitz) October 17, 2018

Houston tackle Julie’n Davenport has allowed the most pressures in the NFL this season (32)

Houston tackle Martinas Rankin has allowed the second-most pressures in the NFL this season (27)

Somewhere D Carr is laughing his ass off right now.

This is absurd.

The Texans have allowed 40% more hits than the second worst OL.

I remember when Seattle was at the bottom, then they got Duane Brown. New England let Solder go but got a quality LT (Trent Brown) instead of starting guys who clearly aren't ready.

hmm interesting Wade Smith kind of disputed Balddy here

I understand the sentiment, but disagree with the assessment. BaldyNFL @PayneNFL

Martin declared the point as the LB lined up in the -A gap. Griffin should block the LB in the +B gap.
If you watch DHop he’s heading in to block the Safety that’s lined up in the box but…. https://t.co/qksvvwXobD

— Wade Smith (@Smitty74allday) October 17, 2018

(Continued)…. DHop sees #84 take him so adjusts out to find work. This one isn’t on the line. Plenty was on them, but this one wasn’t. BaldyNFL PayneNFLhttps://t.co/qksvvwXobD

Fulton went to the linebacker that was declared (backside). The LB that ran through unblocked was the Fullbacks guy.

The Texans had the Bills outleveraged on the play going 2 the right. That’s exactly what you want. This was just a simple mental error at the point of attack https://t.co/a0RhEocSs9

Thomas, like all of the TEs have shown poor pass blocking. Martinas and Sharpe are all that's left. Sharp has always been considered a huge OT that moves laterally as well as a stump.

Better yet, when was the last time the Texans had a TE that was a good blocker and receiver? I think Owen Daniels was the last one. O'Brien has to let the Jordan's get all the OJT they can handle. I like both of them better than Griffin. Is the TE Coach having any luck in coaching these guys up? Griffin is the same player he was when he arrived as a rookie, that can't be saying he's getting coached up!

Damn! While I wasn’t counting, it sure seemed more like 0.5-1.0 sec...

Better yet, when was the last time the Texans had a TE that was a good blocker and receiver? I think Owen Daniels was the last one. O'Brien has to let the Jordan's get all the OJT they can handle. I like both of them better than Griffin. Is the TE Coach having any luck in coaching these guys up? Griffin is the same player he was when he arrived as a rookie, that can't be saying he's getting coached up!

O'Brien drafted two TEs who didn't block in college.

But it can say that he's reached his ceiling.

I understand the sentiment, but disagree with the assessment. BaldyNFL @PayneNFL

Martin declared the point as the LB lined up in the -A gap. Griffin should block the LB in the +B gap.
If you watch DHop he’s heading in to block the Safety that’s lined up in the box but…. https://t.co/qksvvwXobD

(Continued)…. DHop sees #84 take him so adjusts out to find work. This one isn’t on the line. Plenty was on them, but this one wasn’t. BaldyNFL PayneNFLhttps://t.co/qksvvwXobD

Fulton went to the linebacker that was declared (backside). The LB that ran through unblocked was the Fullbacks guy.

The Texans had the Bills outleveraged on the play going 2 the right. That’s exactly what you want. This was just a simple mental error at the point of attack https://t.co/a0RhEocSs9

there really cant be any 'simple' mental errors on a line that is so bereft of talent, up to and including the TE's and RB's which have been horrendous in pass pro also. SOMEBODY needs to make the call and make sure everyone understands it. Lack of communication is unacceptable at this level hell I see high school offensive units barking out more calls and assignments than i see the Texans make. When I see a lineman just let a guy go buy him without even a chip it irks me, I mean i get it 'thats not my guy' but man put a shoulder into him on your way by or something.

So it's either Fulton AND Kelemte's fault, or just Griffin's fault? I don't know which, but if I had to guess... it's the guy playing fullback that really isn't a fullback.

So it's either Fulton AND Kelemte's fault, or just Griffin's fault? I don't know which, but if I had to guess... it's the guy playing fullback that really isn't a fullback.

Looking at the play Smith's version seems correct to me. I don't know the play call so Baldy could be right, but just from what I know of general blocking schemes regarding the run game, and how Hopkins looked thoroughly confused for a second when Griffin blocked the guy he was going for I think it's on Griffin this time

there really cant be any 'simple' mental errors on a line that is so bereft of talent, up to and including the TE's and RB's which have been horrendous in pass pro also. SOMEBODY needs to make the call and make sure everyone understands it. Lack of communication is unacceptable at this level hell I see high school offensive units barking out more calls and assignments than i see the Texans make. When I see a lineman just let a guy go buy him without even a chip it irks me, I mean i get it 'thats not my guy' but man put a shoulder into him on your way by or something.

This is happening all over our offense, not just the line. I'll try to find it but PatdStat posted a video of Watson "locking" on to Hopkins which causes him to take a sack. But if you watch how the routes are developing to me it looked like they were trying to get a rub off of Hopkin's route which would've freed up Thomas in the flats. Hopkins avoids the linebacker so he gets a free run towards Thomas taking that route away. If Hopkins successfully picks the backer Thomas is still running because he is alone on the left side of the field. Watson needed to come of the read sooner, but Davenport gets beat at about the 2 second mark and blows the play up

https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/1052300957323800576

This is happening all over our offense, not just the line. I'll try to find it but PatdStat posted a video of Watson "locking" on to Hopkins which causes him to take a sack. But if you watch how the routes are developing to me it looked like they were trying to get a rub off of Hopkin's route which would've freed up Thomas in the flats. Hopkins avoids the linebacker so he gets a free run towards Thomas taking that route away. If Hopkins successfully picks the backer Thomas is still running because he is alone on the left side of the field. Watson needed to come of the read sooner, but Davenport gets beat at about the 2 second mark and blows the play up

I didn't like that tweet from PatDStat, as it's misleading. Like you mentioned, I believe the primary receivers in this play are Hopkins & Thomas. I wouldn't say "Hopkins avoided the linebacker", as you know setting picks are illegal. But rather, I wonder if Thomas broke off into the flat too early, or maybe he was supposed to run a wheel? The play could very well be that Watson is "locking" onto Hopkins so the safety stays with Nuk, so when Thomas runs the wheel, he'd be wide open.

Coutee was probably his 3rd or 4th option in the progression, but you can't get to your 3rd progression under 2 seconds. Can you?

I didn't like that tweet from PatDStat, as it's misleading. Like you mentioned, I believe the primary receivers in this play are Hopkins & Thomas. I wouldn't say "Hopkins avoided the linebacker", as you know setting picks are illegal. But rather, I wonder if Thomas broke off into the flat too early, or maybe he was supposed to run a wheel? The play could very well be that Watson is "locking" onto Hopkins so the safety stays with Nuk, so when Thomas runs the wheel, he'd be wide open.

Coutee was probably his 3rd or 4th option in the progression, but you can't get to your 3rd progression under 2 seconds. Can you?

and my bad that wasn't a Lber Hopkins was suppose to pick, it was a safety walking down. Maybe avoided wasn't the right word, but Hopkins can do a better job adjusting his route to create more of a pick. Refs let teams get away with it all the time as long as you don't make it deliberate that you are blocking him. If Watson comes off it right away, he has a chance to find Coutee or the RB that leaked out that he eventually threw to. I think he was waiting to see if Lber continued flowing left, if he did he has Hopkins open. Watson could have been better on that play, I just don't like the assessment that he "locked" on to Hopkins, his first 2 reads have to do with Hopkins so yes he is looking at him

So Griffin can't play fullback or block either? Wow I thought his only skill sets were an inability to get open and dropping passes. That's a four tool TE right there, as OB says versatility! I can totally understand with that kind of production neither of the TE's you DRAFTED can get on the field.

Thomas has not been out there much that I've seen. Other Yes were not drafted for in line blocking but rather receiving skills. I suggest QB yell "timber!" And Sharp falls to side...

I agree with this assessment. I saw the same thing. If PatDStat is expecting Watson to consistently get to his 3rd or 4th option with this OL, Watson will leave NRG in a body bag.

I dunno why the Texans Oline had so much more trouble with the Bills front 7 than they did with the Dallas front 7 unless the Buffalo guys are that superior ?

Have we started the same 5 multiple games this year ? It seems like because of injury/poor play that we are starting a different 5 each week.

So the play design was good?

So the play design was good?

Play design was fine, The safety that walked down was aggressive coming down to cover Thomas b/c Watson was in fact locked in on that side of the field...His head says it all.

If Watson holds his head straight, that safety has to hesitate at least for a split second and that’s all that would’ve been needed to be able to drive the ball out to Thomas on that out who would’ve been open.

Play design was fine, The safety that walked down was aggressive coming down to cover Thomas b/c Watson was in fact locked in on that side of the field...His head says it all.

If Watson holds his head straight, that safety has to hesitate at least for a split second and that’s all that would’ve been needed to be able to drive the ball out to Thomas on that out who would’ve been open.

Notice how I'm not getting a reply from a select few.

Notice how I'm not getting a reply from a select few.

damn I wasn't on last night, calm down steel we have plenty of chance to argue today lol. But yes that play call was designed well. O'Brien makes gaffs in his play calling sometimes yes, he calls good plays as well sometimes. The thing that bothers me the most is the continuous lack of execution on the offense which points back to how players are being coached.

Back