Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

State of the O-line

My stance hasn't change one bit. You just disagree with me. Good news is with BOB/Gaine we will find out who's correct.

4-12, 31st redzone, worst offensive line, regressing QB ... we've found out with a new contract. Weird that you are combative defending a guy who inherited an all-pro offensive line with 4 wins, and wanted nothing more than to get rid of the guy who built that all-pro line with 6 wins.

Mid-season trades are rare and obviously fraught with challenges, especially around over-paying, and getting your target up to speed. Having said that, this season stands out to me as the kind of exception where it might make sense to pull the trigger if we can make a deal. We're not out of the playoff picture and we have one huge gaping hole that if filled could change the trajectory of the season.

I'm no NFL trade guru, but I do wonder if we're exploring all available options. This article for example lists a couple of possibilities which might make sense.

Pure fantasy, or the kind of bold move an ambitious front office should explore?

https://houseofhouston.com/2018/10/18/houston-texans-left-tackle-davenport/

I would give up a 2nd for either of these guys. Spriggs has real potential and Humphries is a starter level OT. Hell, at this point I would give up both 2nds for both of them. I think both of them are better than what Gaine will find in the 2nd rd and they already have NFL experience which is a big plus. Hopefully Gaine is shopping. Another guy I like is Ty Nsheke

I would give up a 2nd for either of these guys. Spriggs has real potential and Humphries is a starter level OT. Hell, at this point I would give up both 2nds for both of them. I think both of them are better than what Gaine will find in the 2nd rd and they already have NFL experience which is a big plus. Hopefully Gaine is shopping. Another guy I like is Ty Nsheke

I think Spriggs is a total long shot, I can't see him being realistically available. From what I read about Arizona, I think they'd entertain serious offers for Humphries. He's serviceable/average, but compared to what we're trotting out at the moment that's a massive upgrade.

Just hope we're exploring trade opportunities. If we're going to rely solely on the draft, I think it's more likely we'll kill Watson's career before we develop the talent to protect him.

Reactions: JB
4-12, 31st redzone, worst offensive line, regressing QB ... we've found out with a new contract. Weird that you are combative defending a guy who inherited an all-pro offensive line with 4 wins, and wanted nothing more than to get rid of the guy who built that all-pro line with 6 wins.

I thought the Texans finished 2-14 in Kubiak's last yr?

Truth is both Ricky/Kubiak should've been fired then. The fact that Ricky stayed is a huge part of what's been wrong the last 5 yrs. Whether you want to admit this or not.

Honest question, do you think Kubiak is a HOF coach and if so why? Your posts seem to indicate you think Kubiak walks on water.

Truth is both Ricky/Kubiak should've been fired then. The fact that Ricky stayed is a huge part of what's been wrong the last 5 yrs. Whether you want to admit this or not.

Honest question, do you think Kubiak is a HOF coach and if so why? Your posts seem to indicate you think Kubiak walks on water.

Before I start anything, our nearly exact coaching staff won a Superbowl with a great defense, crap offensive line, and a pair of gimp quarterbacks - players like Owen Daniels and Shilo Keo showing up in big games. And you wanted both fired at 6-10.

I think had the McNairs stayed away from Smith and the players - we had a dynasty in place. Hell we had perfection. Kubiak had built a monster line, and had the aging Andre teaching Hopkins. We had experience and versatility with Owen Daniels and James Casey. We had Arian Foster at RB. Wade had his defense already in the top 5 with Watt, Mercilus, Kareem, Joseph and Quin. Schaub's injury and ptsd may have put us into a mediocre season, but that would still have put us in position to draft Bridgewater or Garoppolo.

Kubiak didn't just land in a great Denver situation ... he landed in a place that didn't say anything when he benched Peyton Manning. And didn't say anything when he subbed an injured Manning in at halftime. Unlike "we're moving in another direction, Case Keenum will be our starter".

As for Kubiak as a HOF coach, ask the current hall of famers how they feel about him and how they got their rings ... of which he now has 5.

I think Bob's patients rubs off on the whole organization . He's definitely no Al Davis , Bob Kraft , George Steinbrenner , or Charlie O'Finley .

He also had a legitimate offensive identity.
I keep saying this - Foster was invaluable to this teams offense.
We had a star receiver in AJ and a genuine star RB who was also a great receiver.
I will continue to thump the table for a quality RB - it is obvious OB's offense needs one as was evidenced while one (Foster) was on our roster.
A reliable outlet for Watson would take a lot of pressure off him and open up the passing game.

I grew up in KC and was an avid Athletics fan. Finley made the A's the Yankees farm team. For years, every time we had an elite player, he traded him to the Yanks. He made a fortune with his shenanigans, before he left KC. We wanted to tar and feather him and run him out of town......before he left. When he bought a mule to act as the team’s mascot, it allowed him to use the line: “If you want to be my friend, kiss my ass.” He was involved in sexual harassment of his employees that in today’s world would have led to scandalous TMZ treatment. While in KC, he was a old day showman, barker and "pitchman".............

120928-charlie-finley-247x300.jpg

We had a star receiver in AJ and a genuine star RB who was also a great receiver.
I will continue to thump the table for a quality RB - it is obvious OB's offense needs one as was evidenced while one (Foster) was on our roster.
A reliable outlet for Watson would take a lot of pressure off him and open up the passing game.

Trade Clowney for Bell then. Obrien thought Miller would be that guy.

Over the hill/Retired pro bowl players.

Ricky made the decision not to pay Brooks.

Sometimes, I read your Ricky this, Ricky that posts and it's one step away from blaming Rick Smith for hurricanes Rita, Katrina and Harvey. It has been posted on multiple occasions that Brooks was misdiagnose by the medical staff.

Brooks is on record as enjoy playing for Kubiak and hating to play for O'Brien. Yet, your take is that Ricky didn't pay Brooks. The man has been gone for almost a year and you're still Ricky rolling and still posting opinions that goes against common knowledge as facts.

Brooks claim he was so miserable playing for O'Brien, he wanted to retire. So, with that fact, how is this Smith's fault? Also, why do you call Smith, Ricky, but don't call O'Brien Billy?

Last edited:
Sometimes, I read your Ricky this, Ricky that posts and it's one step away from blaming Rick Smith for hurricanes Rita, Katrina and Harvey. It has been posted on multiple occasions that Brooks was misdiagnose by the medical staff.

Brooks is on record as enjoy playing for Kubiak and hating to play for O'Brien. Yet, your take is that Ricky didn't pay Brooks. The man has been gone for almost a year and you're still Ricky rolling and still posting opinions that goes against common knowledge as facts.

Brooks claim he was so miserable playing for O'Brien, he wanted to retire. So, with that fact, how is this Smith's fault? Also, why do you call Smith, Ricky, but don't call O'Brien Billy?

I call Ricky Ricky because it's short for Tricky Ricky, The way he backstabbed Kubiak made him Tricky Ricky and one of Kubiak's relatives on this MB refers to him as Trick Ricky. This has nothing to do with BOB.

As far as Brooks goes the Texans org from Ricky to the medical staff to BOB all handled that whole situation terribly. I loved Brooks coming out of college and had him mocked in several of my Texans mock drafts that yr along with drafting him in the TT mock draft for the Cowboys in the 2nd rd. You should go check it out. Brooks left and guys that leave are generally guys that the GM lets walk because they dont want to pay the guy. But hey, you can believe that Ricky didn't have anything to do with Brooks leaving if you want too, I'm certainly not going to change your mind. Ricky gets no blame around these parts even though he was the common theme through 2 different HC's and was the freakin GM of the team for over a decade. The guy was a lazy a**kisser who never should have held the job in the 1st place. He was Kubiak's boy and I wonder what Kubiak would have to say about him today? Or BOB for that matter. I bet they would be in agreement about him and his priorities. Now Gaine is left to clean up the mess he left behind and fans on this MB expected Gaine to clean up that mess in one offseason with no 1st or 2nd rd picks. That's unrealistic IMHO.

Lets take this discussion to the AE Rick Smith thread so we dont derail another thread talking about that POS and to get back on topic, the OL still sucks and what would you do to improve it this yr? Or who would you sign in FA/Draft to improve it next offseason?

Last edited:
He also had a legitimate offensive identity.
Trade Clowney for Bell then. Obrien thought Miller would be that guy.
Interesting idea.
My only question would be how much tread does he have left - 5 years for a RB is a long time in this league.
Well 4.5 in actual fact.

I call Ricky Ricky because it's short for Tricky Ricky, The way he backstabbed Kubiak made him Tricky Ricky and one of Kubiak's relatives on this MB refers to him as Trick Ricky. This has nothing to do with BOB.

As far as Brooks goes the Texans org from Ricky to the medical staff to BOB all handled that whole situation terribly. I loved Brooks coming out of college and had him mocked in several of my Texans mock drafts that yr along with drafting him in the TT mock draft for the Cowboys in the 2nd rd. You should go check it out. Brooks left and guys that leave are generally guys that the GM lets walk because they dont want to pay the guy. But hey, you can believe that Ricky didn't have anything to do with Brooks leaving if you want too, I'm certainly not going to change your mind. Ricky gets no blame around these parts even though he was the common theme through 2 different HC's and was the freakin GM of the team for over a decade. The guy was a lazy a**kisser who never should have held the job in the 1st place. He was Kubiak's boy and I wonder what Kubiak would have to say about him today? Or BOB for that matter. I bet they would be in agreement about him and his priorities. Now Gaine is left to clean up the mess he left behind and fans on this MB expected Gaine to clean up that mess in one offseason with no 1st or 2nd rd picks. That's unrealistic IMHO.

Lets take this discussion to the AE Rick Smith thread so we dont derail another thread talking about that POS and to get back on topic, the OL still sucks and what would you do to improve it this yr? Or who would you sign in FA/Draft to improve it next offseason?

Ricky was just as big of a problem. Finally he's gone but not everything is fixed

Watching 2 games focusing on OTs: Oklahoma's #71 Bobby Evans LT and RT Cody Ford a red shirt Jr looking poorly against TCU. Also as stated yesterday I'm focusing on Wisconsin's RT David Edwards; to be kind I'll say he is not in my plans for 2019 draft. On a successful TD passing play with just over a minute in first half, Edwards was manhandled and fell over backwards.

I dont mind switching up the offense every game if it works. Looks like O`b is adjusting every week to the team we played the week before.
sorry but totally disagree TK, he is trying to find best spot for his players at OT. He moved D from LT to RT when Henderson ended his season. Rankin flopped at LT and D returned with Lamm continuing at RT as there is basically no one else. I don't see any evidence OB reacting to other team.

Interesting idea.
My only question would be how much tread does he have left - 5 years for a RB is a long time in this league.
Well 4.5 in actual fact.

Bell would be in conversation for top 5 RB RIGHT NOW without having played a down. Sadly with this offensive line even a talent like his would be wasted.

Bell would be in conversation for top 5 RB RIGHT NOW without having played a down. Sadly with this offensive line even a talent like his would be wasted.

With Bell’s running style where he is so patient and spends more time in the backfield waiting for the hole to develop, he might have so many negative runs.

With this line, a RB like Adrian Peterson might have been a better fit and the threat of AP leaving cleat marks on their backs might motivate the OL to stop laying on the ground.

Bell catching the ball out the backfield will be a big time plus. He also knows how to plant his foot in the ground and cut. Unlike Miller he doesn't go down on the first contact.

Should be the 1st team to 13 wins.

Not long, he's already had his lung punctured. Sad that history is repeating itself

David Carr's biggest injury was to his psyche... physically, the dude was as tough as they come. If Watson can learn to protect himself, & is tough enough mentally, this may be a refining process. Tempered steel kind of thing.

David Carr's biggest injury was to his psyche... physically, the dude was as tough as they come. If Watson can learn to protect himself, & is tough enough mentally, this may be a refining process. Tempered steel kind of thing.

Watson protected himself pretty good last season. I guess he thinks he has to do everything possible to win so he's taking on Linebackers

Or not, the rest of this season should be about keeping Watson healthy, so they can fix the OL next offseason. I know I sound like a broken record since I've been saying this for 2 yrs and counting. But the team isn't going to be a contender until better players are added to the OL.

Or not, the rest of this season should be about keeping Watson healthy, so they can fix the OL next offseason. I know I sound like a broken record since I've been saying this for 2 yrs and counting. But the team isn't going to be a contender until better players are added to the OL.

& if Watson isn't tough enough to keep his mind right, like Carr wasn't, he wasn't going to be tough enough to win a Super Bowl either. Better we find out sooner & move on.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/20/texans-downgrade-zach-fulton-to-out/

It's gonna be a bloodbath. I feel bad for Watson ahead of time .. eerily similar to when Carr was here. How long before Watson breaks? Damn shame.
I think he's already broken. My wife is a casual fan. She always referred to Schaub as a vagina. She watched the games with Watson last year. She was into the games and liked him.

She sat down for the buffalo game, literally asked if it was the same guy from last year at qb. I started making excuses for his play, line play and injuries blah blah blah. She quit watching.

He's being destroyed as a franchise qb.

Carr's main problems had nothing to do with sacks - poor work ethic & leadership killed him at the NFL level. He brought half the sacks on himself by playing stupid.

I believe Watson suffers from some of that "half the sacks on himself" issue. Someone mentioned him being sacked when Buffalo only rushed 3. That was on Watson, not the line. He held the ball to long, then broke the pocket, then his linemen were out of position to defend him. Then, he still couldn't make up his mind to throw or run & a fat lineman was able to chase him down & sack him.

When I say, "He needs to learn how to protect himself." That's what I mean. He needs to be more decisive, improve his pocket awareness, not put himself in bad situations.

I understand the line isn't doing him any favors. But he can't be adding to the problems.

I believe Watson suffers from some of that "half the sacks on himself" issue. Someone mentioned him being sacked when Buffalo only rushed 3. That was on Watson, not the line. He held the ball to long, then broke the pocket, then his linemen were out of position to defend him. Then, he still couldn't make up his mind to throw or run & a fat lineman was able to chase him down & sack him.

When I say, "He needs to learn how to protect himself." That's what I mean. He needs to be more decisive, improve his pocket awareness, not put himself in bad situations.

I understand the line isn't doing him any favors. But he can't be adding to the problems.

I approve this message.......
Robert Griffin III

I grew up in KC and was an avid Athletics fan. Finley made the A's the Yankees farm team. For years, every time we had an elite player, he traded him to the Yanks. He made a fortune with his shenanigans, before he left KC. We wanted to tar and feather him and run him out of town......before he left. When he bought a mule to act as the team’s mascot, it allowed him to use the line: “If you want to be my friend, kiss my ass.” He was involved in sexual harassment of his employees that in today’s world would have led to scandalous TMZ treatment. While in KC, he was a old day showman, barker and "pitchman".............

120928-charlie-finley-247x300.jpg

Love me some Charlie O and the Oakland A's.

When FA 1st hit baseball, Charlie O was of the mind owners should let every player become a FA after each season. That would've solved MLB's FA issues, because then players salaries would've been performance based every yr and there would be no longterm contracts. Pure brilliance. After other owners disagreed with Charlie O he started selling off players. Bowie Kuhn voided these trades with the Best Interest of Baseball rule

Love me some Charlie O and the Oakland A's.

When FA 1st hit baseball, Charlie O was of the mind owners should let every player become a FA after each season. That would've solved MLB's FA issues, because then players salaries would've been performance based every yr and there would be no longterm contracts. Pure brilliance. After other owners disagreed with Charlie O he started selling off players. Bowie Kuhn voided these trades with the Best Interest of Baseball rule

Orange baseballs , MC Hammer , and mustaches .

Catfish Hunter
Blue Moon Odom
Vida Blue
Ken Holtzman
Rollie Fingers
Reggie Jackson
Sal Bando
Bert Campaneris
Gene Tennace
Bill North

Off the top of my head .

https://www.npr.org/2017/03/04/518461977/the-1970s-oakland-as-were-dynastic-bombastic-fantastic

Last edited:
& if Watson isn't tough enough to keep his mind right, like Carr wasn't, he wasn't going to be tough enough to win a Super Bowl either. Better we find out sooner & move on.

True, but playing 1 week after partially puncturing his lung he played against a tough Bills defense suggests we was tough enough.

Carr's main problems had nothing to do with sacks - poor work ethic & leadership killed him at the NFL level. He brought half the sacks on himself by playing stupid.

And running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage was a lot of that stupidity

We have already seen it.
He is looking for the defense, not his receivers.
Even if that is true, which I don't believe it is (you'd think he'd get rid of the ball more frequently) that can change from game to game. Snap to snap. The question is how does he handle it over the season.

Right now, my opinion is that he's oblivious of the rush. He doesn't realize where the bad matchups are, & he's completely surprised when the line breaks down, reacting a second too late.

I may have explained it wrong, but basically his pocket awareness needs to improve. Were he looking at the defense his pocket awareness, imo, would be too sensitive.

Even if that is true, which I don't believe it is (you'd think he'd get rid of the ball more frequently) that can change from game to game. Snap to snap. The question is how does he handle it over the season.

Right now, my opinion is that he's oblivious of the rush. He doesn't realize where the bad matchups are, & he's completely surprised when the line breaks down, reacting a second too late.

I may have explained it wrong, but basically his pocket awareness needs to improve. Were he looking at the defense his pocket awareness, imo, would be too sensitive.

In other words, his is showing poor read of the D.

Well the O-line seemed to improve as the game went on. Gave up only 1 sack, though Watson escaped a few more, and only 2 TFL's. Miller had 100 yards rushing and looked as good running the rock as I think I've ever seen him. Blue spelled him a few times and had some good runs too. I'm not sure who got the credit for giving up the sack but I think Fowler came from the right side of the line so it might be Lamm. Overall the line looked a little better especially against a pretty good Defense. Just glad they won and Watson came out unhurt. Now back home to play Miami!

Well the O-line seemed to improve as the game went on. Gave up only 1 sack, though Watson escaped a few more, and only 2 TFL's. Miller had 100 yards rushing and looked as good running the rock as I think I've ever seen him. Blue spelled him a few times and had some good runs too. I'm not sure who got the credit for giving up the sack but I think Fowler came from the right side of the line so it might be Lamm. Overall the line looked a little better especially against a pretty good Defense. Just glad they won and Watson came out unhurt. Now back home to play Miami!
Fowlers sack was from Davenports side. But one sack the entire game, hey not too bad at all.

Sometimes the d just wins...u expect that. But Davenport in that 1st qtr was Garbo...he was repeatedly getting beat around the edge. I’m usually not in favor of giving up draft capital to move up in the draft...but given how awful Davenport is, I think it’s a necessary move. We simply have to get that LT spot shored up for next year at all costs. Rankin starts at RT for us next year and I’d go ahead , move Fulton to center, put Mancz to take his place at RG, leave Kelemete at LG and move on from Martin..or let him come off the bench as a back at G/Center.

draft can’t get here soon enough.

Back