Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Slowik and the offense

Reading an article on The Athletic regarding the Reich firing, and sure enough Bobby Slowik's name comes up.
Potential OCs will he tripping over themselves to work with CJ. And there are plenty from the Shanahan/Kubiak/Shanahan tree.

Slowik would be a fool to work for that franchise and owner. Good luck if you can't immediately turn a dwarf into an NFL player.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

OK, I'm going to have to call Slowik out and question his decision making.

Jags:
Singletary........6/18........3.0 avg
Pierce..............5/14........2.8 avg

Cards:
Singletary........22/112....5.1 avg

Bengals:
Singletary........30/150....5.0 avg

Panthers:
Singletary........10/30......3.0 avg
Pierce..............12/46......3.8 avg

Now I left out the Bucs game. We ran the ball only 17 times, Singletary for 13 carries, Hutch for 1, Boone for 1 and Dell for 2. Singletary only gained 26 yards with his 13 rushes.

I'm not going to state the obvious. But I have to question the decision making leading to these stats.

This is also apparent with the decision to start Howard when it was obvious his performance dictated he should not be starting. Tunsil is questionable. It's obvious his performance is limited by his injuries. But it's possible his performance drop off is still better than any replacement.

In a long article in The Atlantic regarding the upcoming HC hiring cycle, Bobby Slowick's name pops up in a list.

The Hot Names You Know:

• Jim Harbaugh, University of Michigan head coach

• Lou Anarumo, Bengals defensive coordinator

• Raheem Morris, Rams defensive coordinator

• Dan Quinn, Cowboys defensive coordinator

The Names You May Not Know:

• Frank Smith, Dolphins offensive coordinator

• Mike Macdonald, Ravens defensive coordinator

Bobby Slowik, Texans offensive coordinator

• Aaron Glenn, Lions defensive coordinator
I'm not saying this as a Texans fan that wants to keep the OC. But I genuinely think that Slowick is not ready to be a NFL HC. Yet. I do think he's on the right track, though. Maybe next year? Or the year after? It's going to happen for him. But not now.

In a long article in The Atlantic regarding the upcoming HC hiring cycle, Bobby Slowick's name pops up in a list.

I'm not saying this as a Texans fan that wants to keep the OC. But I genuinely think that Slowick is not ready to be a NFL HC. Yet. I do think he's on the right track, though. Maybe next year? Or the year after? It's going to happen for him. But not now.
Can you copy and paste the long article? I don't want to pay to read it.

You completely missed the point. Subbing in Mills to have him run the freaking ball was pure stupidity. He killed the momentum of that drive. That’s just one example. He’s been doing that all season
Not having your studs makes you do things you normally wouldn't do.

That one play that killed that drive had very little to do with why they lost that game.

Wrong he was trying to be cute even when his studs were out there. You just want to argue
We just disagree

No need to argue about this.

When did they get cute earlier in the yr? They certainly haven't been able to run the ball all yr, so I'm guessing you're talking about when they tried to run the ball against Carolina's terrible run defense? I dont consider that trying to get cute.

When Keenum is your QB and you're missing play makers you've gotta take more chances. Do you think he got to cute with CJ in the lineup?
Absolutely. It’s ridiculous how many gadget plays Slowick has. Beck catching passes. Dell taking handoffs. Hutchinson on reverses. Ogobungwale kicking field goals. Shoot… Stroud being tossed back the ball from Singletary on that sliccccckkkk first down run.

Absolutely. It’s ridiculous how many gadget plays Slowick has. Beck catching passes. Dell taking handoffs. Hutchinson on reverses. Ogobungwale kicking field goals. Shoot… Stroud being tossed back the ball from Singletary on that sliccccckkkk first down run.
Look at the 49ers offense and you will notice they run a lot of the same plays with varying results.

I was just answering the question. Still doesn’t make it any less cute.
The 49ers seem to do pretty well running this offense. The issue is that the Texans dont have nearly the horses to run this offense like the 49ers do. I actually think Slowik has done a good job considering how handicapped he's been because of talent and injuries.

The 49ers seem to do pretty well running this offense. The issue is that the Texans dont have nearly the horses to run this offense like the 49ers do. I actually think Slowik has done a good job considering how handicapped he's been because of talent and injuries.
He has done great at times but he has also done some things that I can’t fathom s’doing…. Using Heck when he has no business catching balls. Some of those 4th downs shouldn’t have been attempted. Etc Etc. Also… his time management is questionable. I think Slowik is good at getting chunks of yardage quickly but he sucks at slowing down the game. I like Slowik but those runs down the middle leave an O’Breiney taste in my mouth.

As we have seen all season from fans on here… Slowik is either going to be a HC next season or fired and left off the flight home depending on the play call.

Interesting to note vet play caller Steichen took the ball out of his best player’s hands with the game on the line last night. Even the best play callers get too cute.

Slowik has done an incredible job with the offense this season. All the reshuffling at every position on the team. The first year playcaller has essentially had to create a new identity every week. And the Texans are currently in the tournament. The new season starts now! Lets hope Slowik gets some reinforcements back for Stroud to work with and continue this story book season!

Slowik has a -great- playbook and route running trees. Probably the best in the NFL. That being said… the timing for some of those playcalls were… dismal. I don’t think Slowik is HC material. He’ll always be a coordinator. That’s his ceiling.

Interesting to note vet play caller Steichen took the ball out of his best player’s hands with the game on the line last night. Even the best play callers get too cute.
As pointed out by the commentators, Steichen has done this successfully throughout the season. One other aspect of the call is that the pass usually is to an unexpected player, not one of their stars. It was the right play, the receiver was open. They simply failed to execute it successfully, this time. It happens. To our benefit.

As pointed out by the commentators, Steichen has done this successfully throughout the season. One other aspect of the call is that the pass usually is to an unexpected player, not one of their stars. It was the right play, the receiver was open. They simply failed to execute it successfully, this time. It happens. To our benefit.
If they had TY Hilton on that squad, we lose that game.

If they had TY Hilton on that squad, we lose that game.

Michael Pittman is pretty dang good in his own right. I think it came down to the Colts realizing Minshew’s ceiling and if they asked too much of him they were going to risk a turnover and the game getting out of reach.

They played conservative like they have all season. It came close to working but when both teams protect the ball the team with more explosive plays usually wins. It’s hard to drive the length of the field consistently in the NFL without explosive plays. Taylor provided several but that’s a lot to ask of one RB.

Michael Pittman is pretty dang good in his own right. I think it came down to the Colts realizing Minshew’s ceiling and if they asked too much of him they were going to risk a turnover and the game getting out of reach.

They played conservative like they have all season. It came close to working but when both teams protect the ball the team with more explosive plays usually wins. It’s hard to drive the length of the field consistently in the NFL without explosive plays. Taylor provided several but that’s a lot to ask of one RB.
They took a couple of shots, missed on both.

I'm sure glad Goodson dropped that pass.

Minshew's ceiling and the conservatism will be an afterthought when their starting QB comes back next year. The Dolts will be on the rise but so are we.

I have a feeling Tepper may be salivating over hiring Slowick. It’s just a hunch. It would be the Tepper thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as you’ve been on this board you don’t recognize the offensive scheme Slowick uses? Did that first TD play from scrimmage not look remotely familiar at all?

Let's say I agree with you, that Slowick is a Kubes disciple. Where's Gary at now, who's he grooming & what good is a year from now when Slowick may be poached this offseason?

Let's say I agree with you, that Slowick is a Kubes disciple. Where's Gary at now, who's he grooming & what good is a year from now when Slowick may be poached this offseason?

What I’m saying is if Slowick is poached this offseason we obviously will need a new OC. Pick a young bright current offensive assistant, have Kubiak or someone else who knows the scheme well, come in as a consultant and show the kid the basic concepts of the scheme. Kind of like he did with Kyle. Let him sit in the booth and be in the kid’s ear on game day. I dunno. I’m a fan of the Shanahan brand of the WCO. This if Slowick leaves this offseason.

We just got it back to town after a 10 year absence and I don’t want to see it leave again. I’d like to keep it here if at all possible.

If not this offseason, Slowick will be gone next year for sure. If Slowick sticks around for another year, then put a damn succession plan in place. Have him teaching his replacement.

I do not want to see the “game plan”, zone read, or any other idiotic offensive scheme back here again. I’ve seen enough of it.

Back