Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Slowik and the offense

There's gotta be a John Wick twist/reference in there somewhere?

In 20 plus years I've seen so many posts of this nature. Everybody wants to be the one to trademark a nickname. It's cool, I get it. Usually falls into 3rd coast, south coast, dirty coast something or other. Truth is, there's never been anything superior or unique about our offenses or defenses.

When there is, I think someone will get the inspiration to pick the just right name. We're hoping to be average or better this year. Nobody gets a name for that. Dynasties and all time great outliers get names.

Hope I'm around long enough to see that.

In 20 plus years I've seen so many posts of this nature. Everybody wants to be the one to trademark a nickname. It's cool, I get it. Usually falls into 3rd coast, south coast, dirty coast something or other. Truth is, there's never been anything superior or unique about our offenses or defenses.

When there is, I think someone will get the inspiration to pick the just right name. We're hoping to be average or better this year. Nobody gets a name for that. Dynasties and all time great outliers get names.

Guess I’m just higher on him than most. Of course, it’s all about proving oneself.

Use whatever measuring tool or metric you want, I’ve been burned with Staley (another discussion) but everything I hear, is positive, exactly what should match expectations.

Once proved (confident he will) is next step a head coaching gig (probably) or could he replace Caserio? If so, I’m all in. Have to follow process with great anticipation. Bobby Wick V

:wesmantexanfan:

Just saying, the last "passing game" coordinator we promoted past his station was a big flop

View attachment 12161

And I remember the days when Kube was so dedicated to Frank Bush and Richard Smith he couldn't let go until ownership forced his hand. I know that's unfair considering we haven't had a single snap yet ,but our history has been so brutal that I need to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/live/On40yxUgHtc?feature=share

The article that quoted DR regarding Robert Woods was drawn from the presser that I linked to above.

In the presser, DR also said that CJ Stroud is a very intelligent guy; which is quite different than you may hear from some quarter.

Also, DR mentioned that Keenum knows the offense like the back of his hand.
I found this rather interesting simply because Little Shanahan had denied that he was running the WCO.

Keenum had no tie to the offense except through Kubiak and his tree.
But Kubiak himself was tied to Shanahan Sr.

So I think what litlle Shanahan was referring to is the old WCO from Bill Walsh (plus his contemporaries and predecessor).

That system was quite different in many aspects: Motion, vertical stretch on top of the horizontal stretcb, and the zone blocking scheme - which sometimes spring a bootleg that may leave a TE wide open deep.

Great article from the Athletic (Mike Jones) covering 15 NFL teams who have new play callers (OC or Head Coaches). Remember Kyle as Texans OC back in 2009-10 as installing best most consistent play calling I’ve ever witnessed Texans using on the field. Unfortunately he was plucked away and rest is history. Bobby Slowick is from that tree, and began his coaching with 49ers under Kyle same time as DeMeco Ryans, yet not enough is known or said about him. Which is oddly parallel to me? If interested, also mentioned former Texan OC/HC Bill O’Brian (New England) and Tim Kelly (Tennessee).

Houston Texans: Bobby Slowik
Can the first-year play-caller coach up a rookie quarterback and direct a unit all on his own?

Slowik is the latest Kyle Shanahan disciple hoping he can take the lessons learned under Shanahan and duplicate that success elsewhere. Slowik followed DeMeco Ryans to Houston, where grooming C.J. Stroud ranks among his top priorities. Slowik is described as a grinder with intimate knowledge of the Shanahan offense.

But it’s a tall task to go from an assistant to an architect/play-caller head coach and then scheme, teach and call plays on your own, especially when dealing with a rookie quarterback.

Reports from OTAs say that the players are more animated. And are moving from station to station quickly. Bobby is also mixing up 1s and 2s during practice. In an effort to keep everyone on track and improving. Example: Mills running 5 plays and rotation to CJ that you don't notice on that 6th snap unless you are looking at numbers. "Experts" think this is great and a good way for now to not label anyone as a starter just yet. That will come in TC I am inclined to believe

Reports from OTAs say that the players are more animated. And are moving from station to station quickly. Bobby is also mixing up 1s and 2s during practice. In an effort to keep everyone on track and improving. Example: Mills running 5 plays and rotation to CJ that you don't notice on that 6th snap unless you are looking at numbers. "Experts" think this is great and a good way for now to not label anyone as a starter just yet. That will come in TC I am inclined to believe
Can you post these reports? Thanks

I honestly don't know why but I trust that Slowik is going to quickly become the man with the plan. Might be blind faith, might be the "Ryans Effect" where I'm still on my honeymoon with Demeco and if he says the grass is purple, I'm down with it.

I don't know - it's a feeling is all I can say. I might be 100% wrong, and even in a best case, there will be some growing pains just like a rookie player, but I just have this feeling that this offense will do well under Bobby, especially by 2024.

I honestly don't know why but I trust that Slowik is going to quickly become the man with the plan. Might be blind faith, might be the "Ryans Effect" where I'm still on my honeymoon with Demeco and if he says the grass is purple, I'm down with it.

I don't know - it's a feeling is all I can say. I might be 100% wrong, and even in a best case, there will be some growing pains just like a rookie player, but I just have this feeling that this offense will do well under Bobby, especially by 2024.

If Slowik is even a little bit successful this season he rockets up to the top of the list of 2024 HC candidates.

Every team wants someone from the Lil Shanny or Mcvay tree and Slowik happens to have experience with both.

Look at the 610am recording from yesterday. I think it was about 800 to 9am on my way to work. I think 610 also has pretty much every thing said on air on a podcast. But, unsure of the podcast name.
You should use the word rumors instead of reports if you are getting it from 610 :kitten:

Kyle Shanahan does not run the freaking West Coast Offense.

Don’t take it from me — take it from Shanahan himself. He educated a local reporter about a year ago. The reporter had requested a one-on-one interview with Shanahan, who rarely grants one on ones with locals. Before turning down this poor reporter, Shanahan asked what the topic of the interview would be.

The reporter said it was simple. He wanted to write a story praising Shanahan for connecting the 49ers to their roots by bringing back the West Coast Offense. They hadn’t used it in decades despite popularizing it during the 1980s under head coach Bill Walsh, the inventor of the scheme. This reporter saw Shanahan as a disciple of Walsh.

“I don’t run the freaking West Coast Offense,” Shanahan explained, except he didn’t use the word, “freaking.” He used a different word we can’t print.

Shanahan could have been more diplomatic, but he didn’t lie. He corrected the biggest misconception about him and the current 49ers offense.
Well if DeMeco and his OC are proponents of the WCO, looks like they learned about it someplace besides on their last job
in San Fran working for Kyle Shanahan.
Like I said, litle Shanahan might not care for the WCO as the scheme had evolved from the days of Bill Walsh, but it wasn't like his dad or Kubiak had come up with something entirely novel.

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/texans-offense-gary-kubiak-18131947.php

If Stroud "fails" this season it will be because the offensive scheme was poor.
Or it could be that Stroud is not an NFL QB. Ryan Day's offense and game plans protected Stroud. Day's words not mine. The first thing we are going to find out is did Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Marvin Harrison, and Emeka Egbuka make Stroud.

Or it could be that Stroud is not an NFL QB. Ryan Day's offense and game plans protected Stroud. Day's words not mine. The first thing we are going to find out is did Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Marvin Harrison, and Emeka Egbuka make Stroud.
For those of us who don't know, was theor a different coach for Justin Fields & Cj Stroud?

Years ago I suggested the nickname 11 Girls 1 Cup for the Texans defense.
Didn't get any traction

Protected him how? Like from being hit?
Do you have a link to Day's statement? I'd like to see the context

For those of us who don't know, was theor a different coach for Justin Fields & Cj Stroud?

Nope. Ryan Day was the coach of both.

There's no question that CJ was surrounded by great talent. Excellent receivers ran good routes, the OL protected Stroud, and Stroud successfully executed the throws. Stroud was so successful that the Texans smartly drafted him.

Lmao

Was wondering how long it would take before I would read this post.

No excuses

In many regards, this is a brand-new offense. New OC, new rookie QB, new receivers, new tight end. Dameon Pierce returns from injury. It's Slowik's job to figure out what they're good at and develop an offensive identity. It's the players' job to execute their assignments. I'm obviously confident in CJ's ability. If the offensive scheme is solid then CJ will perform well.

The good news is that the Houston secondary is giving CJ a lot of good lessons in practice. Hopefully, the best secondary CJ will see is the one he faces in practice.

In many regards, this is a brand-new offense. New OC, new rookie QB, new receivers, new tight end. Dameon Pierce returns from injury. It's Slowik's job to figure out what they're good at and develop an offensive identity. It's the players' job to execute their assignments. I'm obviously confident in CJ's ability. If the offensive scheme is solid then CJ will perform well.

The good news is that the Houston secondary is giving CJ a lot of good lessons in practice. Hopefully, the best secondary CJ will see is the one he faces in practice.
The question is, is CJ just another bust QB that Day has produced.

Great observation about the secondary. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does against the Saints/Dolphins secondaries in the scrimmages.

Nope. Ryan Day was the coach of both.

There's no question that CJ was surrounded by great talent. Excellent receivers ran good routes, the OL protected Stroud, and Stroud successfully executed the throws. Stroud was so successful that the Texans smartly drafted him.
I'm cautiously optimistic about Stroud, but with any rookie QB it's a 50/50 chance of them being a franchise QB. I hope he comes in, plays lights out and is the face of the franchise for the next 15 years.
We will all have a much better idea where he's at during preseason games.

What treatment would Slowick get if Stroud succeeds? A HC'ing opportunity?

He will be a hot topic for a HC position IF he does well in year 1. Mainly just rumors of him becoming someone who very well could be a HC soon. If he does it again in year 2, he goes from mention of a HC to candidate. Probably won't get a job as HC till after year 3.

As far as his ability to read a D, his prototype size, good arm strength to make any throw, his ability to check his reads and his accuracy. Stroud is the one who made that happen. Was he coached, sure, but he just has the tools and the staff honed it.

Now, was the play calling and surrounding talent a factor? No question. When you have the cast he had your going to have an easier time that if he played at say Houston (UoH). However, I think his tool box would have made him very good even on a bad team. His stats would be lower, seeing even if he hits a WR/TE/RB in the hands...they have to catch it. If not, it's a drop or INT. Which would lower any QB completion percentage, probably raise INTs some and lower his passing yards as a passer.

Playing with NFL quality WR/TEs/RBs should smooth out the growing pains. As an NFL caliber player is for the most part better than the college players. The game speed is what could be an issue for the first part of the year. Our OL is improved, but still if he had say 5sec to go through his reads in college he will have say 3 in the NFL. Will he adapt to the speed is my only real concern. But, I would have that with any QB. Until they show up and play well in the NFL speed inviroment. I think Stroud will be able to make the jump, however until the lights are bright and he is showing it. I still have the worry.

Side note, I don't think any rookie is 100% comfortable with the speed until it is a live game and they have to do it. Some do fine others don't. CJ I think is in the will adapt group. Making it more of the question how long will it take for him to adapt? 2 to 3 games? Half a season or more? That I'm not sure about

The question is, is CJ just another bust QB that Day has produced.

Great observation about the secondary. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does against the Saints/Dolphins secondaries in the scrimmages.
Stoud was kind of one trick pony, mainly because of Day's design. Plays were designed to give Stroud one read and a check down. When the primary WR was covered is when Stroud would hold the ball too long and when his panic could set in. Stroud was often throwing to a BIG picture window. How will Stroud do when that BIG window becomes a miniature one?

Stoud was kind of one trick pony, mainly because of Day's design. Plays were designed to give Stroud one read and a check down. When the primary WR was covered is when Stroud would hold the ball too long and when his panic could set in. Stroud was often throwing to a BIG picture window. How will Stroud do when that BIG window becomes a miniature one?
I admit I am concerned. Justin Fields was considered an accurate passer, I even read one scouting report saying he's got good touch & layered passing.

Watching the highlights, he made some good tight window throws.

The only real difference in passing between his scouting reports & Stroud's is that they say Stroud has good field vision.

So yeah, I'm concerned how Stroud's passing game translates.

I admit I am concerned. Justin Fields was considered an accurate passer, I even read one scouting report saying he's got good touch & layered passing.

Watching the highlights, he made some good tight window throws.

The only real difference in passing between his scouting reports & Stroud's is that they say Stroud has good field vision.

So yeah, I'm concerned how Stroud's passing game translates.
Hopefully Stroud will be in a better system than Fields started in. Coaching matters

You're concerned about Stroud because of a Justin Fields scouting report? How did you get there?

I’d say Fields has been given the weapons to make a significant jump this year. Given what he had to work with last season, he showed encouraging signs of growth.

He’ll need to become a 65% passer this season to go with his threat as a rusher. But the talent around him is sufficient to make the jump now.

I’d say Fields has been given the weapons to make a significant jump this year. Given what he had to work with last season, he showed encouraging signs of growth.

He’ll need to become a 65% passer this season to go with his threat as a rusher. But the talent around him is sufficient to make the jump now.
Here's a stat I found interesting about Justin Fields. He was 2nd in the league among starting QBs in intended air yards per pass attempt (9.1 yds/pass). Only Tua, with Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle, was higher at 9.5 yds/pass. Why was Fields trying to throw down the field all the time? It's not like he was connecting at a high rate. Was that the play designs or just Fields' decisions? I don't see that happening with Stroud in the Slowik offense.

Back