Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Slowik and the offense

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I didn't see another thread on him. If I missed it, please merge.

What does he bring to the table? I always liked k'shans route combinations downfield. You could see a single play challenge man coverage vs zone and forcing a defender to make a decision. It was always dynamic even dating back to his days under Kubiak.

So I guess the question is, what did slowik add? Is he recycling someone else's offense or is he innovating?

Are you excited by this hire?

I don't know a damn thing about Slowik, other than DeMeco wanted him. For now, that's good enough for me. Besides, there's a lot of potential fun things we can do with his name the second he starts screwing up.

The name slowik and delay of game penalties are likely a connection posters will make soon. Damn I hope not.

I'm pretty sure Slowik will have input into any QB draft selections by the Texans. Do we know anything about his QB likes and dislikes? Has he actually said anything about that subject since he got here?

I'm pretty sure Slowik will have input into any QB draft selections by the Texans. Do we know anything about his QB likes and dislikes? Has he actually said anything about that subject since he got here?
Sounds like they want to pound the rock to open up the passing game. I may be reading it wrong but that might indicate they don't want to be forced to rely on their QB to take over a game with his passing so you can read into that they don't think they will have a guy that can. That can mean a couple of things regarding their draft philosophy re the QB.
This was Ryans:-
"My vision for the offense is similar to our defensive, our vision ," Ryans said. "It's an attacking, aggressive offense. So it's the offensive line running off attacking. It's the running backs attacking the line of scrimmage. It's an aggressive style. We want to be balanced, but we want to make sure we can run the ball very well. We want to be able to hang our hat on, running the ball, being able to dictate up front, but it's also in the passing game."
The Texans showed marked improvement in the run game last season with the addition of fourth-round pick Dameon Pierce. Despite a rookie campaign cut short by an ankle injury, Pierce was still named a Pro Bowl alternate after racking up 939 rushing yards, averaging 4.3 yards per carry, and scoring four rushing touchdowns.
Offensive Coordinator Bobby Slowik will help implement the new scheme and improve the passing game. Slowik spent the last six years on the San Francisco 49ers coaching staff with Ryans. The two both began as defensive quality control assistants under Kyle Shanahan in 2017. Slowik then moved over to offense in 2019 and served as the passing game coordinator last season with the Niners.
"We have to be explosive in the passing game and I think you can be explosive two ways," Ryans said. "Whether it's stretching the field vertically by throwing deep passes 20-plus yards down the field, or it can be passes five yards and under and get it into an explosive playmaker's hands who can create explosive plays, with the run after catch."

I dunno so here's my question: are we expecting the Texans to run some version of the WCO under Slowik & Demeco ?

Sounds to me they want to be aggressive using explosive players.
I think they will look to get fast guys with good change of direction skillsets and route running.
An Oline that can get down field was hinted at as well. Gonna need an upgrade at C for that to happen.

DeMeco talks like he wants a run first ask questions later type of offense. But then, a lot of head coaches talk like that. Most of us really like our new HC, just unsure as to what happens next.

C'mon guys have y'all forgotten the Kubiak era? Conservative. Measured. Sound fundamentals. Control the clock and dictate the tempo. This of course, will vary depending on which QB is selected. Chess pieces will follow, right now you can count them on one hand, Tunsil, Green, Pierce, Schultz and possibly Metchie III? Still need a #1 WR and burner, one of the better TE's in this draft class, a receiving threat out of the backfield, starting Center, swing tackle, not to mention franchise QB. That's just on offensive side.

01. Bryce Young, QB (Mr. Franchise)
12. Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR (premier slot who can become a #1)
33. Darnell Wright, OT (RT who will compete to start)
65. Cody Mauch, OT, OG, C (immediate upgrade @ Center with versatility)
73. Tucker Kraft, TE (all around TE who can block & catch)
104. Sean Tucker, RB (physical bell cow to pair with Pierce)
161. Eric Gray, RB (Oklahoma back with receiver skills)
188. Payne Durham, TE (Texan grow a pair of legit young TE's)
201. Emil Ekiyor Jr. OG Alabama
203. Jake Andrews, C (back-up to the starter in case the starter needs to cover another position or is injured)
230. Wanya Morris, OT (lots of OL depth now)
259. Tyson Bagent, QB (Mr. Irrelevant, just another guy holding clipboard or is he?)

C'mon guys have y'all forgotten the Kubiak era? Conservative. Measured. Sound fundamentals. Control the clock and dictate the tempo. This of course, will vary depending on which QB is selected. Chess pieces will follow, right now you can count them on one hand, Tunsil, Green, Pierce, Schultz and possibly Metchie III? Still need a #1 WR and burner, one of the better TE's in this draft class, a receiving threat out of the backfield, starting Center, swing tackle, not to mention franchise QB. That's just on offensive side.

203. Jake Andrews, C (back-up to the starter in case the starter needs to cover another position or is injured)
259. Tyson Bagent, QB (Mr. Irrelevant, just another guy holding clipboard or is he?)

Thought you said Durham was a 4th round guy?

I would replace either Tucker or Gray with Kenny McIntosh, as he is fantastic in space and is a great receiver out of the backfield.

They’re going to draft some defensive guys to.

Would love this👏

49ers last year ran the ball about 50% of the time I’d expect that to be similar here especially with what we’ve done in free agency.

In FA we got a guard who is better known for his run blocking, WR’s who are good at blocking, spent 4mil guaranteed on TE/FB Andrew Beck who is more of a blocker than a pass catcher, and signed Singletary who is a good 2nd back with Pierce. Seems like we’ll be trying to run the ball and use play action to control games and protect an inexperienced QB.

I’m fine with that but a big part of the reason it worked for teams like the Eagles and the 49ers is they had great defenses. Obviously we made a lot of moves on defense in free agency and hired Ryans who did an excellent job with the 49ers defense but we’re still lacking talent.

If our defense isn’t able to hold up and we get down by 2 scores we’re gonna spend the second half throwing the ball and then I think the rookie QB and lack of top end WR play will rear its ugly head.

49ers last year ran the ball about 50% of the time I’d expect that to be similar here especially with what we’ve done in free agency.

In FA we got a guard who is better known for his run blocking, WR’s who are good at blocking, spent 4mil guaranteed on TE/FB Andrew Beck who is more of a blocker than a pass catcher, and signed Singletary who is a good 2nd back with Pierce. Seems like we’ll be trying to run the ball and use play action to control games and protect an inexperienced QB.

I’m fine with that but a big part of the reason it worked for teams like the Eagles and the 49ers is they had great defenses. Obviously we made a lot of moves on defense in free agency and hired Ryans who did an excellent job with the 49ers defense but we’re still lacking talent.

If our defense isn’t able to hold up and we get down by 2 scores we’re gonna spend the second half throwing the ball and then I think the rookie QB and lack of top end WR play will rear its ugly head.
Not if we have an effective run game.
Grind 'em and move the sticks and if they crowd the box, then the passing game will come back into play.

Go back to beer. That stuff Thorn gave you is way too strong.

They’re going to draft some defensive guys to.
Offensive example only lol:

12. Calijah Kancey, DT (disruptive interior rusher)
65. Keenan Benton, DT (interior run stopper)
73. Andre Carter, DE (commitment to Football only key, if so + value)
104. Jonathan Mingo, WR (6-2 220 possible #1 upside)
161. Juice Scruggs, Center (starting caliber)
188. Dylan Horton, DE (10 sacks, 3 pressures, 35 hurries & 3 passes batted down)
201. Eric Gray, RB (Oklahoma back with receiver skills)
203. Ian Pace, LB (sideline to sideline speed with enough size/instinct to blitz)
201. Dylan Horton, DE (10 sacks, 3 pressures, 35 hurries & 3 passes batted down)
203. Mohamed Ibrahim, RB (complete back with stout frame, underrated)
230. Gerrvarrius Owens, S Houston (excellent coverage, deep

fixed it for you :koolaid:

Kyle Shanahan does not run the freaking West Coast Offense.

Don’t take it from me — take it from Shanahan himself. He educated a local reporter about a year ago. The reporter had requested a one-on-one interview with Shanahan, who rarely grants one on ones with locals. Before turning down this poor reporter, Shanahan asked what the topic of the interview would be.

The reporter said it was simple. He wanted to write a story praising Shanahan for connecting the 49ers to their roots by bringing back the West Coast Offense. They hadn’t used it in decades despite popularizing it during the 1980s under head coach Bill Walsh, the inventor of the scheme. This reporter saw Shanahan as a disciple of Walsh.

“I don’t run the freaking West Coast Offense,” Shanahan explained, except he didn’t use the word, “freaking.” He used a different word we can’t print.

Shanahan could have been more diplomatic, but he didn’t lie. He corrected the biggest misconception about him and the current 49ers offense.
Well if DeMeco and his OC are proponents of the WCO, looks like they learned about it someplace besides on their last job
in San Fran working for Kyle Shanahan.

Don’t take it from me — take it from Shanahan himself. He educated a local reporter about a year ago. The reporter had requested a one-on-one interview with Shanahan, who rarely grants one on ones with locals. Before turning down this poor reporter, Shanahan asked what the topic of the interview would be.

The reporter said it was simple. He wanted to write a story praising Shanahan for connecting the 49ers to their roots by bringing back the West Coast Offense. They hadn’t used it in decades despite popularizing it during the 1980s under head coach Bill Walsh, the inventor of the scheme. This reporter saw Shanahan as a disciple of Walsh.

“I don’t run the freaking West Coast Offense,” Shanahan explained, except he didn’t use the word, “freaking.” He used a different word we can’t print.

Shanahan could have been more diplomatic, but he didn’t lie. He corrected the biggest misconception about him and the current 49ers offense.
Well if DeMeco and his OC are proponents of the WCO, looks like they learned about it someplace besides on their last job
Potato/potatoe

Thanks for sharing, I didn't know the Denver offense of Shanahan & Kubiak was not called the WCO. So yes, I believe that Slowick will run a version of the RMO although it may take a couple of years to show to full effect

Man that's good to know for some reason I was under the impression he did

Call it whatever you want. Just be better than Pep’s “No Coast Offense”!

We're gonna need to draft center higher than the 5th round. My suggestion is it's the 2nd or high 3rd round pick. We really have to take a good center in this draft if the offense is going to do anything this year.
If the Texans draft Stroud, I'd like to see them also draft Wypler, his college C. Wypler grades out well on zone and their familiarity with each other should help them both transition to the NFL.1680016054489.png

We're gonna need to draft center higher than the 5th round. My suggestion is it's the 2nd or high 3rd round pick. We really have to take a good center in this draft if the offense is going to do anything this year.
Scruggs is no scrub. B- grade because PFF grades him lower (set board using PFF) street is much higher, but then he wouldn’t be there in the 5th, more like 4th. (Texans lost their own 5th) so this was pick acquired in Cooks trade.

Scruggs is no scrub. B- grade because PFF grades him lower (set board using PFF) street is much higher, but then he wouldn’t be there in the 5th, more like 4th. (Texans lost their own 5th) so this was pick acquired in Cooks trade.
I'm not seeing a ZBS Center. Definitely not a zone stretch Center.

& now that I think about it... I'm not seeing Stroud in that offense either. I'm not seeing a move the pocket, accent his athleticism guy. He's athletic enough, but that hasn't been his game.

I'm really curious to see what this offense is going to look like.

Pierce isn't really a one cut guy either.

Hmm...so the rumored WCO we are supposed to be running is a red herring?🤨
If Slowik and co are smart, whatever system they use should be utilizing Stroud's strengths and none of his weaknesses.

What do you see so far T?

A better QB and a better line is what I see so far. How that translates into what Slowick wants to do we'll see. I see talent at RB, talent at the short to medium range passing game.

Our defense cost us several games last season. If the defense can improve from being drastically horrible to just below average, that in itself will give us a few more wins. A supposedly better offense will nab us a few more wins as well.

I think anyone predicting 6 to 7 wins this season will be close.

A better QB and a better line is what I see so far. How that translates into what Slowick wants to do we'll see. I see talent at RB, talent at the short to medium range passing game.

Our defense cost us several games last season. If the defense can improve from being drastically horrible to just below average, that in itself will give us a few more wins. A supposedly better offense will nab us a few more wins as well.

I think anyone predicting 6 to 7 wins this season will be close.

This defense will be above average this season. Health dependent of course. But they do not have a glaring weakness in the starting lineup. And they have at least two blue chip talents in Stingley and Anderson at edge rusher and CB1.

But I think the X factor is Perryman. Having an all pro MLB (which he is when healthy) will make all the difference. Perryman is elite against the run. But the rub is he’s not healthy nearly often enough.

This defense will be above average this season. Health dependent of course. But they do not have a glaring weakness in the starting lineup. And they have at least two blue chip talents in Stingley and Anderson at edge rusher and CB1.

But I think the X factor is Perryman. Having an all pro MLB (which he is when healthy) will make all the difference. Perryman is elite against the run. But the rub is he’s not healthy nearly often enough.
Not forgetting Jalen Pitre - we have several high quality dudes out there.
I think the rookies and younger guys will get a boost not only from the coaching, but also from each other.

The half Tingan half Somoan should get some plays behind Perryman while adjusting.

Back