Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Slowik and the offense

OK, I'm with you now. You're saying bring Kubiak in. That's the detail I was missing.

Yeah . I’m not advocating hiring him as a coach. He has said repeatedly he is done with coaching and I’ll take him at his word. I’m just saying if Slowick leaves this offseason let him come in and teach someone the basics. I’m willing to bet he would do it for Demeco. Do it for a season and then go back home to Rhonda. According to his Wikipedia page he is consulting for a European League team right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like he would want to stay here at least 2-3 years before he went somewhere else especially if he believes in his own skillset and knows he can get a job later in his career. It would be a dream to coach CJ!
I don't think Slowick is going anywhere after this year. I was responding more to the comment that no one would take the Carolina job.

Slowik has a lot of growth yet as an OC. He'll be a disaster as HC. The Texans can throw more money at him if that's a question. Hopefully there's some loyalty involved.
I'm thinking there's a huge disparity between HC & OC money. Then it seems HC money is fully guaranteed.

Slowik has a lot of growth yet as an OC. He'll be a disaster as HC. The Texans can throw more money at him if that's a question. Hopefully there's some loyalty involved.
Depends on which job he gets. If he takes the job in Carolina he most likely will fail. If he gets the job in say Atlanta or Los Angeles he most likely will succeed.

Slowik ain’t taking that Carolina Job, it’s comparable to the Texans job a few years ago. A complete crapshow no one wants. Carolina can’t pick their coach, only desperate leftovers will go there.....

I hear Culley and Lovie are available, probably come with inexpensive contracts as well thanks to previous employer

There is still only 32 of those jobs... hard to pass up millions for most
But that's like watching how David Culley went about things and how Demeco Ryans went about things.

David Culley basically said he took the job because it was one of 32 and they don't come available often. Even though there was the fact we were obviously way off contention and had few avenues to improve the team - we were in cap hell and barely had picks (cheers for that OB).

Demeco bet on himself and waited for the right opportunity and it's paying off for him. Same team but with way better prospects as they were soon to be out of cap hell with a ton of draft capital (cheers for that Cleveland)

I think Slowik has a lot more in common with Demeco than he does with Culley. Culley took the job because that opportunity likely wouldn't be there next year. Slowik will have these same opportunities next year especially when your QB is CJ. He gets to put another year under his belt as a coordinator and likely shadow Demeco a little more on being a head coach.

Slowik doesn’t have to be in a rush. Super Bowl team’s OCs always get offered HC jobs.

And we are on the way. No sense to not see it through.

When you're replacing a fired coach, it usually means things are in a mess. I hope Slowik stays here another year or two, if for nothing else just to pick himself up a SB ring. A rookie OC going straight to rookie HC in one year seems risky to me anyways.

LOL, it seems like everyone is hating on the idea of Slowik getting a HC gig right away. I'd hate to see him leave based on what we seem to be building but if he gets offered a promotion elsewhere and decides to take it then so be it. The opportunity may not present itself again.

Hard disagree. I think its rotten to even be floating the idea (in the media)... Ryans/Slowik have an opportunity to build & ride the wave of what the Astros did for the past 6-7 years.
I want to see more commitment (over the long haul/time) from coaches/coordinators/players.

Found this on GoTitans.com

Personally Bobby Slowik is my HC choice. Seeing what he did with CJ Stroud makes me want to pair him with Will Levis to provide long term stability.

I'd like to see us pair him with a experienced DC like Leslie Fraizer, who is rumored to want back into the NFL after a year off.

For OC I'd go with Chris Foerster, the Run game coordinator/OL coach for the 49ers. He is not a play caller but having a long time, OL coach on staff should help us focus on our biggest need atm and Spears would kill in the Shananhan zone run system. Slowik would obviously call plays in this scenario.

But that's like watching how David Culley went about things and how Demeco Ryans went about things.

David Culley basically said he took the job because it was one of 32 and they don't come available often. Even though there was the fact we were obviously way off contention and had few avenues to improve the team - we were in cap hell and barely had picks (cheers for that OB).

Demeco bet on himself and waited for the right opportunity and it's paying off for him. Same team but with way better prospects as they were soon to be out of cap hell with a ton of draft capital (cheers for that Cleveland)

I think Slowik has a lot more in common with Demeco than he does with Culley. Culley took the job because that opportunity likely wouldn't be there next year. Slowik will have these same opportunities next year especially when your QB is CJ. He gets to put another year under his belt as a coordinator and likely shadow Demeco a little more on being a head coach.

The odds are likely that opportunities will be there sure. But HC candidates fall out of favor quickly. Stroud could get injured like Daniel Jones did last year and now Slowik is on nobodies radar (just like Mike Kafka, who was a hot name last year).

John Defilippo was getting HC traction after the Eagles won the SB with Nick Foles. Now he’s a HC… in the UFL.

That LSU wunderkind Joe Brady. Got fired midseason by the Panthers as their OC.

Kellen Moore, another hotshot OC. Cowboys got rid of him. It appears his HC window has closed.

The odds are likely that opportunities will be there sure. But HC candidates fall out of favor quickly. Stroud could get injured like Daniel Jones did last year and now Slowik is on nobodies radar (just like Mike Kafka, who was a hot name last year).

John Defilippo was getting HC traction after the Eagles won the SB with Nick Foles. Now he’s a HC… in the UFL.

That LSU wunderkind Joe Brady. Got fired midseason by the Panthers as their OC.

Kellen Moore, another hotshot OC. Cowboys got rid of him. It appears his HC window has closed.
I think it's more the fact that he has CJ who I think is going to be good consistently, meaning opportunities will remain consistent for him. An injury season for sure, but unless you think CJ will be injured that often then I'd think Slowik's opportunities and chances will remain good.

Not only that but I'd also argue this team and the offense is in a position where it's only going to add pieces and improve. Thus his stock and resume will improve likewise.

I don't think he has to just take an ho-hum opportunity just because it's offered. In fact that's probably the easiest way to make sure your opportunity is short lived and won't come again.

Plus again. He literally just witnessed what Demeco did where he waited for the RIGHT opportunity and didn't just jump on something immediately because it was offered.

Me, I’d get with Caserio, Ryans, and Keenum. The discussion, grooming for the next step in coaching. If Ryans and Keenum are a go, have Keenum start 2024 as QB Coach and Asst OC. Keenum comes from a coaching family and seems like a coach on the sideline to Stroud. Keenum already knows Stroud’s floor and ceiling and probably knows him better than any other available OC, outside of Slowick.

Yeah, I could get behind expediting Keenum’s Texans coaching career.

Me, I’d get with Caserio, Ryans, and Keenum. The discussion, grooming for the next step in coaching. If Ryans and Keenum are a go, have Keenum start 2024 as QB Coach and Asst OC. Keenum comes from a coaching family and seems like a coach on the sideline to Stroud. Keenum already knows Stroud’s floor and ceiling and probably knows him better than any other available OC, outside of Slowick.

Jerrod Johnson will be next man up if Slowik leaves. But I can definitely get behind grooming Keenum on the DeMeco coaching tree.

And what of Jerrod Johnson?

The thing is even if he fails as HC he'll walk away with millions and have an OC job if he wants it. This year he is as hot as he will get barring a SB run so he probably has as much leverage as he will ever have. I hope he stays one more year but I will be surprised if he does.

At least we are losing him because of our success not firing him for our failure.

Niners assistant GM Adam Peters gets the Washington GM job. They are already on the list to interview Slowik.

If I were a betting man, i’d say Slowik goes to Washington. Started his NFL coaching career there. 49ers connection. And they have a solid core of young talent. Plus he gets a premium pick to find his franchise QB. If I were him, i’d take the job if offered.

Allen/Payne on the DL.
McLaurin/Samuel/Dotson at WR
Robinson/Gibson at RB.

And the #2 overall pick… That’s a good starting point.

Last edited:
If I were a betting man, i’d say Slowik goes to Washington. Started his NFL coaching career there. 49ers connection. And they have a solid core of young talent. Plus he gets a premium pick to find his franchise QB. If I were him, i’d take the job if offered.

Sweat/Allen/Payne on the DL.
McLaurin/Samuel/Dotson at WR
Robinson/Gibson at RB.

And the #2 overall pick… That’s a good starting point.

Sweat's in Chicago..

Back