Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Ryan Mallett

Which also means things COULD BE WORSE! That was the point and it is NOT a Straw Man but a response to those who write as if things COULDN'T get worse.

You are right, things COULD get worse with a different QB. The main point however is that, we DON'T KNOW that they could. I rather take a chance with an unknown then continuing to roll the die on someone I KNOW sucks balls.

They had Keenum so that theory doesn't fly.

I believe that Keenum just wasn't what OB wanted. Now we say, well what do we have in Mallett? Well "we" don't know but the coach probably does. Keenum was a no go from understanding and performing. Mallett should have the understanding down but unknown on performing. Advantage Mallett. Now on Mallett vs Fitz, OB has said that Fitz remains the QB b/c the offense as a whole is under-performing as well as the coaching. He believes Fitz will be ok when everyone plays better. I believe that OB sees us as competitive and wants all the pieces on the offense to gel so it can be easier for the QB of the future (insert Savage/draft pick/Mallet). That's why Fitz is the stop gap. He'll take the bumps, bruises and criticisms while the offense grows into what OB wants. To me, Mallett is just insurance for an injury to Fitz or we are no longer competitive.

Keenum fell out of favor with the fans. He got a fair shot and couldn't make it happen, loosing 8 games in a row last year. Didnt look any better in preseason. Still inconsistent and throwing his share of picks. It was time to move in a different direction.

For any problem Keenum could have had with anyone anywhere, falling out of favor with the fans was the absolute least of them.

For any problem Keenum could have had with anyone anywhere, falling out of favor with the fans was the absolute least of them.

Yup.

Look the argument above was Mallett was brought in purely as a backup. That makes no sense with Keenum around. Regardless of the record he has starter experience and is better placed as a pure backup. The ONLY reason to trade for Mallett was based on potential as a starter. For that matter there were vet FAs safer as pure backups.

Lest folks forget I was not a Keenum fan other than hoping anyone in a Texans uniform succeeds.

& that may be ok with some, but I hope like hell it ain't ok with our HC, because if it is, we've got the wrong guy. I can tell you that right now. If OB is sitting there thinking, "Eh... no big deal if we miss the play offs. Next year I'll have more of "my guys" & we'll try to make it then." Then he's the wrong guy.

I don't care if we had a team of has beens & never was out there, he needs to be doing everything he can to win & make the play offs. If he had a team of has beens & never was, I can understand not making the play offs, but I'll never understand not trying.

Hasn't the whole point about sticking with Fitz being because he is trying to win now with a known commodity?

This team is at 3-3 after losing 14 straight last season, and I am just not sure how starting either Mallett or Savage at this point would prove any more that OB wants to "win now" as compared to continuing to start Fitz.

And if the answer is that we will never know until we try one of them, then aren't we at that point not concerned about winning, because we are willing to tank the rest of the season to see if one of these guys is "it"?

I think Bob is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't with this fan base.

Yup.

Look the argument above was Mallett was brought in purely as a backup. That makes no sense with Keenum around. Regardless of the record he has starter experience and is better placed as a pure backup. The ONLY reason to trade for Mallett was based on potential as a starter. For that matter there were vet FAs safer as pure backups.

Lest folks forget I was not a Keenum fan other than hoping anyone in a Texans uniform succeeds.

Maybe OB didn't like 0-8 as experience?

Hasn't the whole point about sticking with Fitz being because he is trying to win now with a known commodity?

I have no idea what the point is when that known commodity sucks. It's not an "if OB can keep his mistakes down" proposition with Fitzpatrick (bless his soul), it's a "when he Fs up" ordeal. I don't blame that last game on Fitzpatrick (bless his soul) at all, I thought he played well fro the most part, but when he fumbled the ball I was like, "well, what'd you expect?"

This team is at 3-3 after losing 14 straight last season, and I am just not sure how starting either Mallett or Savage at this point would prove any more that OB wants to "win now" as compared to continuing to start Fitz.

And if the answer is that we will never know until we try one of them, then aren't we at that point not concerned about winning, because we are willing to tank the rest of the season to see if one of these guys is "it"?

I think Bob is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't with this fan base.

I'm sorry, but I give Fitzpatrick (bless his soul) absolutely 0 credit for the 3-3 record & I'm not to happy about that record (to tell you the truth) when you consider we "should've" won both of them & didn't win either (not that we were supposed to, but that we were in position to win at the end of the game).

Fitzpatrick (bless his soul) handicaps the team from the QB position which handicaps the WRs. Makes no sense to put Keyshawn Martin & Demaris Johnson on the field. Even if the defense respects their speed, they don't respect Fitzpatrick's (bless his soul) ability to make use of that speed.

The game plan has been, "hand off to Foster left, hand off to Foster right... throw the ball on third & long & hope for the best." Vince Young could (& did) make that work. Mark Sanchez could (& did) make that work. Tj Yates could (& did) make that work. Fitzpatrick (bless his soul) seems to be struggling with the concept.

OB's got two ways to go. He can try to fix Fitzpatrick (bless his soul), in which case, when Fitz (bless his soul) screws up, we're going to say, "What the F did you expect?" or he can see if Mallet/Savage is a better option, then we'll say, "At least he tried... Fire Rick Smith."

The latter seems like a win, win for us.

I have no idea what the point is when that known commodity sucks. It's not an "if OB can keep his mistakes down" proposition with Fitzpatrick (bless his soul), it's a "when he Fs up" ordeal. I don't blame that last game on Fitzpatrick (bless his soul) at all, I thought he played well fro the most part, but when he fumbled the ball I was like, "well, what'd you expect?"

I'm sorry, but I give Fitzpatrick (bless his soul) absolutely 0 credit for the 3-3 record & I'm not to happy about that record (to tell you the truth) when you consider we "should've" won both of them & didn't win either (not that we were supposed to, but that we were in position to win at the end of the game).

Fitzpatrick (bless his soul) handicaps the team from the QB position which handicaps the WRs. Makes no sense to put Keyshawn Martin & Demaris Johnson on the field. Even if the defense respects their speed, they don't respect Fitzpatrick's (bless his soul) ability to make use of that speed.

The game plan has been, "hand off to Foster left, hand off to Foster right... throw the ball on third & long & hope for the best." Vince Young could (& did) make that work. Mark Sanchez could (& did) make that work. Tj Yates could (& did) make that work. Fitzpatrick (bless his soul) seems to be struggling with the concept.

OB's got two ways to go. He can try to fix Fitzpatrick (bless his soul), in which case, when Fitz (bless his soul) screws up, we're going to say, "What the F did you expect?" or he can see if Mallet/Savage is a better option, then we'll say, "At least he tried... Fire Rick Smith."

So in your mind, OB proves he wants to win by putting in Mallett. Otherwise, he is not serious about wanting to win. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, my friend.

Which also means things COULD BE WORSE! That was the point and it is NOT a Straw Man but a response to those who write as if things COULDN'T get worse.

Who cares if it gets worse? At the end of the day 7-9, 8-8 isn't going to be any different than 5-11, 6-10. And that's assuming they can get to 7-9, 8-8 with Fitz.

You have to see what Mallett has. He could be the QB for the next 8 years (or not), but we're never going to know if he sits behind a 10 year mediocre at best Fitz that will not be a part of this team's future.

If you play Mallett and he comes out and stinks the joint up, oh well. This team wasn't going anywhere anyway.

At some point in this season we'll see Mallett. There's no damn way Fitzypoo is leading up to enough victories to make the playoffs. Which means after we've been eliminated from the playoffs, we'll probably be seeing Mallett and Savage both some.

At some point in this season we'll see Mallett. There's no damn way Fitzypoo is leading up to enough victories to make the playoffs. Which means after we've been eliminated from the playoffs, we'll probably be seeing Mallett and Savage both some.

Then OB isn't serious about winning and he should never have been the head coach. If we don't make the playoffs, we should fire OB and Smith, petition the NFL to force McNair to sell the team, use every 2015 draft pick on a QB, and pass legislation in Austin forcing NRG to rename themselves back to Reliant.

Yes it is a straw man and every rookie or first time starter has "could have been worse" than some vet yeoman who could have started instead. There are Fitzpatricks sitting at home on the couch every Sunday waiting for a call if you don't already have one on your team.

One man's straw man is another man's scare crow.

Who anointed you priest?

I agree with sandman. Putting Mallett in as starter just to satisfy the curiosity of a fickle and impatient fan base isn't a recipe for winning. If Mallett was doing enough in practice he'd be starting right now. Obviously he isn't so he's not.

You might as well get comfy with being disappointed this year if you're already upset with O'Brien for not making a QB change. I firmly believe Fitzpatrick, unless injured will remain starter for the year.

Then OB isn't serious about winning and he should never have been the head coach. If we don't make the playoffs, we should fire OB and Smith, petition the NFL to force McNair to sell the team, use every 2015 draft pick on a QB, and pass legislation in Austin forcing NRG to rename themselves back to Reliant.

With all the problems the NFL is having this year, it might be the time to try. LOL

Another thing, putting Mallett in right now with the line having the problems that it is would be basically like throwing meat into a lions cage. Defenses would swarm him and bring him down 10 times a game. That's what some of you want? That to you would prove O'Brien wants to win? Wow.

Who anointed you priest?

I agree with sandman. Putting Mallett in as starter just to satisfy the curiosity of a fickle and impatient fan base isn't a recipe for winning. If Mallett was doing enough in practice he'd be starting right now. Obviously he isn't so he's not.

You might as well get comfy with being disappointed this year if you're already upset with O'Brien for not making a QB change. I firmly believe Fitzpatrick, unless injured will remain starter for the year.
Who annointed you sage?

The desire to start Mallett stems from the fact that Futzpatrick is not getting the job done. If he were, no one would say peep about Mallett. Starting Fitzpatrick is a recipe for .500. At best.

We have no idea what Mallett is or isn't doing in practice. Generally, starters get the bulk of reps in practice during the season. What we do know is that Fitzpatrick oscillates between pedestrian to disastrous during games. Some fans believe this team can win with improved (not great) QB play. That won't happen if the Texans continue to trot out Fitzpatrick.

Some fans believe this team can win with improved (not great) QB play. That won't happen if the Texans continue to trot out Fitzpatrick.

And that's the thing. Fitz is at best a .500 QB. We'll never amount to anything with him at the controls. What happens if we put in Mallett or Savage is anyone's guess. It could be worse as far as we know. We just finished a 2-14 season. It can get a lot worse. :headhurts:

Who annointed you sage?

The desire to start Mallett stems from the fact that Futzpatrick is not getting the job done. If he were, no one would say peep about Mallett. Starting Fitzpatrick is a recipe for .500. At best.

We have no idea what Mallett is or isn't doing in practice. Generally, starters get the bulk of reps in practice during the season. What we do know is that Fitzpatrick oscillates between pedestrian to disastrous during games. Some fans believe this team can win with improved (not great) QB play. That won't happen if the Texans continue to trot out Fitzpatrick.

I think that most every fan on here would agree that this team can win with improved QB play. The issue I have is that most people stumping for Mallett are using the 2008 Obama campaign strategy: He's not Fitz. There is nothing to point to that says Mallett would have "improved QB play". It is a hope that he can, not a know that he can.

So the talk about "improved QB play" could have won the last two games is definitely accurate, I would just like to know what QB on this roster would have done so. And if the answer is we have to try Mallett to see, then it's really not about winning at all. It's really about anyone but Fitz.

And I'm cool if that is the case, just be prepared for Case 2.0 to show up. Not that I'm projecting that it will, but I can just see the people on here blaming OB for not wanting to win by playing Fitz will also be blaming him for not wanting to win by playing Mallett. Because we are Houston sports fans.

Who cares if it gets worse? At the end of the day 7-9, 8-8 isn't going to be any different than 5-11, 6-10. And that's assuming they can get to 7-9, 8-8 with Fitz.

You have to see what Mallett has. He could be the QB for the next 8 years (or not), but we're never going to know if he sits behind a 10 year mediocre at best Fitz that will not be a part of this team's future.

If you play Mallett and he comes out and stinks the joint up, oh well. This team wasn't going anywhere anyway.

This is the way I feel also. Fitzpatrick is a mediocre QB that will have this team around 8-8. Mallett is in the last year of his contract. I would want as much game film on him to evaluate if it's worth giving him another contract.

Who anointed you priest?

What makes you so sure I'm not a priest?

Anyway, I just want to make sure no one thinks I have anything against the guy. He's a warrior, I love that about him. But I wouldn't follow him into battle, not with his track record.

& it's not about satisfying anyone's curiosity. You've got to do some serious shooting of yourself in the foot to end up with Ryan Fitzpatrick (great guy, but...) as the best QB on your team. & honestly, I wouldn't be so anxious to see a change, if Arian wasn't running as well as he is & if Andre wasn't looking as good as he does, or Hopkins, or Watt.

Fitzpatrick (great guy, but...) can't do what Vince did, or Sanchez, or Tj.... but I bet Mallet can. You don't have to be physically gifted, or a Harvard grad, you just need a better arm than Fitz (great guy, but...).

Fitzpatrick is no where near being replaced as the starter. He hasn't played bad enough yet to warrant that. We've won as many as we have lost and in one of the losses it had to go to overtime. The Colts game was close at the end as well. Mallett has only completed ONE nfl pass in his 4 year nfl career and he is slow and clumsy like Schaub. Not going to happen. I would rather see Savage as #2.

I think that most every fan on here would agree that this team can win with improved QB play. The issue I have is that most people stumping for Mallett are using the 2008 Obama campaign strategy: He's not Fitz. There is nothing to point to that says Mallett would have "improved QB play". It is a hope that he can, not a know that he can.

So the talk about "improved QB play" could have won the last two games is definitely accurate, I would just like to know what QB on this roster would have done so. And if the answer is we have to try Mallett to see, then it's really not about winning at all. It's really about anyone but Fitz.

And I'm cool if that is the case, just be prepared for Case 2.0 to show up. Not that I'm projecting that it will, but I can just see the people on here blaming OB for not wanting to win by playing Fitz will also be blaming him for not wanting to win by playing Mallett. Because we are Houston sports fans.

Yes, I want improved QB play this year. At the same time I'm asking myself: Do I think we're true contenders with Fitzpatrick at QB this year? I'm not talking about possibly getting the 6th seed and eliminated in the first round "contenders". I'm talking about a team that can win a playoff game or two. And right now I'm thinking there is no way in hell this team is going into Cincinnati or New england and beating those caliber teams. With improved QB play, sure. But not with Fitzpatrick at QB. So why not give Mallett a chance to see if he can bring us improved QB play?

So why not give Mallett a chance to see if he can bring us improved QB play?

I'll reiterate that I have absolutely no issues with this. I'm just curious as to everyone's reactions should Mallett not keep this team at .500 or better at the end of the season. I somehow don't think it will be as benign as "well, at least we now know".

I'll reiterate that I have absolutely no issues with this. I'm just curious as to everyone's reactions should Mallett not keep this team at .500 or better at the end of the season. I somehow don't think it will be as benign as "well, at least we now know".

If they turn the keys over to Mallet & we end up 8-8 when the season is over, I'd still think we did better than with Fitzpatrick.

We're not asking him to do a whole lot.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe all of us are wrong. But it looks like we've scaled back the offense to suit Fitz. To keep him from getting in his own way. If that's the case, we may as well go with a rookie, or the career clip board holder.

The only reason I can think not to, is if the scale down is for the whole team's benefit (& it may very well be) & the thinking is that a vet like Fitz ought to progress much faster than a rookie (just like the rest of the team should, think Ben Jones ahead of XSF kind of thing).

Now, I think the team is getting better by leaps & bounds... I'm just not seeing it from Fitz.

Fitzpatrick is no where near being replaced as the starter. He hasn't played bad enough yet to warrant that. We've won as many as we have lost and in one of the losses it had to go to overtime. The Colts game was close at the end as well. Mallett has only completed ONE nfl pass in his 4 year nfl career and he is slow and clumsy like Schaub. Not going to happen. I would rather see Savage as #2.

The Texans record is not evidence that Fitzpatrick has played at an acceptable level. It's indicative of the superior play of Watt, Foster, and others. The Texans have 3 wins in spite of Fitzpatrick. Not because of him.

If they turn the keys over to Mallet & we end up 8-8 when the season is over, I'd still think we did better than with Fitzpatrick.

We're not asking him to do a whole lot.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe all of us are wrong. But it looks like we've scaled back the offense to suit Fitz. To keep him from getting in his own way. If that's the case, we may as well go with a rookie, or the career clip board holder.

The only reason I can think not to, is if the scale down is for the whole team's benefit (& it may very well be) & the thinking is that a vet like Fitz ought to progress much faster than a rookie (just like the rest of the team should, think Ben Jones ahead of XSF kind of thing).

Now, I think the team is getting better by leaps & bounds... I'm just not seeing it from Fitz.

And if he couldn't keep the team at .500?

The Texans record is not evidence that Fitzpatrick has played at an acceptable level. It's indicative of the superior play of Watt, Foster, and others. The Texans have 3 wins in spite of Fitzpatrick. Not because of him.

This! Our defense has been very optunistic in the red zone. Some very timely point swings

What amazes me with the hallucination at QB is the amount of 3 and outs it seems this offense seems to generate.

And if he couldn't keep the team at .500?

NEEEXXXXTTTT...... What have you seen from Fitz to make you think he can carry us to 8-8? Ten years in the league & he's never done it. If it takes Andre Johnson, Arian Foster, & Jj Watt to make him a .500 QB...

Why are you wasting your time? Get the rookie in there & get the rookie mistakes over with this year. Get Mallet in there, find out how much you think he's worth.

There's no way you can convince me that starting Fitzpatrick is in the interest of winning. I may not have seen anything from Mallet/Savage, but I've seen enough from Fitzpatrick.

Aaaaand, here comes the hyperbole.

There is a big, big difference between he was not the primary reason they won those three games, and saying that the rest of the team had to overcome his complete ineptitude.

You would have been more correct to say that the Texans won the game against Buffalo in spite of Foster, who rushed for only 6 yards.

There's no way you can convince me that starting Fitzpatrick is in the interest of winning. I may not have seen anything from Mallet/Savage, but I've seen enough from Fitzpatrick.

Fair enough. Let's just quit pretending that we want this because we "want to win". We are willing to accept suckage from Mallett, as long as we don't have any more suckage from Fitz. The change is what is important to you right now. The results are immaterial.

Winning is important. Being mediocre isn't and that's what Fitzpatrick is. He's a 10-year veteran who has never led a team to an 8-8 record before.

Exactly. And we are willing to accept mediocre or even worse from Mallett so that we can know for sure if he is the guy or not. So winning, while important, would come secondary to evaluating Mallett while live bullets are flying around.

7-9 or 8-8 is a lot different than 5-11 or 6-10 ..... come draft time. :corrosion:

Just ask the Dolts in their quest to suck for Luck.

:sarcasm:

Exactly. And we are willing to accept mediocre or even worse from Mallett so that we can know for sure if he is the guy or not. So winning, while important, would come secondary to evaluating Mallett while live bullets are flying around.

Not at all.

If Mallet is not making any plays to win the game, not giving our playmakers an opportunity to make plays, the way Fitz isn't, then we need to move on from him as well.

The only thing Fitz is doing for us is handing the ball off to Foster. Tj did that. Made a play every now & then. Other than the blind squirrel & acorn analogy, I don't see Fitz making many big plays. I don't think he's capable. I think both Mallet & Savage can bring that & hand the ball off to Foster on 1st & 2nd downs.

Fair enough. Let's just quit pretending that we want this because we "want to win". We are willing to accept suckage from Mallett, as long as we don't have any more suckage from Fitz. The change is what is important to you right now. The results are immaterial.

That's wholely incorrect. I for one want to see Mallet to find out if he's got what it takes to lead this team and play the game at a higher, presumably "winning" level. If Mallet rolls out a buffet of "suck" then I believe all hope for this season is lost. At that point I think the best option is to see if Savage can get some experience provided we can keep him reasonably protected. Giving Shitz more games to do the same thing he's been doing will be a waste of opportunity for one or the other unprovens.

Last edited:
Not at all.

If Mallet is not making any plays to win the game, not giving our playmakers an opportunity to make plays, the way Fitz isn't, then we need to move on from him as well.

The only thing Fitz is doing for us is handing the ball off to Foster. Tj did that. Made a play every now & then. Other than the blind squirrel & acorn analogy, I don't see Fitz making many big plays. I don't think he's capable. I think both Mallet & Savage can bring that & hand the ball off to Foster on 1st & 2nd downs.

If he could do that without the mistakes he would be serviceable , thing is , he has proven over the course of a 10 year career that he cant do it without the mistakes.

I see the reasoning for moving on to Mallett or Savage in that we aren't going to be a playoff team with Fitz .... we may as well see if we are with one of them. As long as a sub par QB is starting , we're pissing away opportunities better spent elsewhere .....

Thing is , OB see's these guys in practice every day .... he may already know and probably at least has an idea if one of them is a better option that Fitz .... or not.
We don't have the insight of those daily practices .... we're trying to apply logic to the situation with limited information. That's what fans do.

If Mallett was all that he would be playing already. He isnt.

Like I said earlier in the thread (probably more than once) , because he was acquired so late in the preseason , its hard to know how far along he is in the playbook and how many reps he has had , especially compared to Fitz & Savage.

It would be understandable that he is behind the curve.

Like I said earlier in the thread (probably more than once) , because he was acquired so late in the preseason , its hard to know how far along he is in the playbook and how many reps he has had , especially compared to Fitz & Savage.

No it isnt. He is a PRO... No a rookie...Mallett is in his 4th year in the NFL and was with the Patriots for 3 years. The Pats offense is WAAAY more advanced that what BoB is running here. 6 games in he should have it down. They dont just do this on Sunday.

Isnt BOB's playbook similar to what they run in NE? Why does Mallet need more time?

No it isnt. He is a PRO... No a rookie...Mallett is in his 4th year in the NFL and was with the Patriots for 3 years. The Pats offense is WAAAY more advanced that what BoB is running here. 6 games in he should have it down. They dont just do this on Sunday.

Neither do Fitz or Savage which is why its understandable that they would be ahead of Mallett in the comprehension of the offense ..... they had an entire offseason and these 6 weeks ..... Mallett has had ..... 6 weeks and change.

If he could do that without the mistakes he would be serviceable , thing is , he has proven over the course of a 10 year career that he cant do it without the mistakes.

Not to disagree with you, I think we're on the same page, but in general, they all make mistakes. Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers... they all make mistakes. It's the big play to mistake ratio that's the difference. They're at least 2:1, maybe even 4:1 big plays to mistake, where Fitz is more like 2:1 mistake to big play.

I bet they're trying to strong-arm him into a long term deal.

Dangit TK, it's "Bless his HEART"
don't confuse the yankees
:D

Back