Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ryan Mallett

Personally I would rather throw away a few games to see how Mallet does or doesn't do than play another down with Shitzpatrick under center.

I don't know why you've hopped in to dispute some position I haven't taken.

I'm not defending Fitz as the guy. In fact it's written clear as day in my posts that I don't think he's the guy, that I would like to see Mallett. My point all along has been about the timing of the switch. That to say Fitz has contributed nothing and anyone could just come in cold and make any of the plays he's made is purely conjecture and shows little regard for the amount of focus, attention, and 1st team oriented detail that's attributed to being a starting NFL quarterback.

TJ Yates came off the bench as the third string qb and won a game for us, THAT IS ICE COLD.

Mallett knows the system and has been here a month. He should be just fine under center. Sure he will have kinks to work out, but its not like what we are running right now is some complex machine. Fitz is almost dead last in the league in passes over 20 yards, only Oakland is worse than us. I think Mallett or Savage could come in and throw 4 yard passes while staring down AJ, Hopkins and Arian. Im sure I COULD do that. Let alone an NFL qb who has been in the league for a few years under the same system (Mallett).

If we were 1-4 this would be a lot easier to decide for OB. But we are 3-2 with a chance to take first place tonight. Why would we change QBs if we are 4-2 and in first place?

So 2 touchdowns and 6 ints is working? Losing 2 of 3 is working? Your offense is near the bottom of the league is points per game, that is working too? Near the bottom in passing yards per game, thats working out too right? Thats how OB drew up the season? The Raiders are the only team with less passes beyond 20 (including 40+ passes) yards...thats what OB and co. want?

Stop being naive people. OB is not happy with our poor qb play and he will make a move. His whole coaching structure is based on team above individuals and playing your best players. Clearly Fitz is not that guy.

Now everyone says, how do you know Mallett or Savage is that guy....we DON'T, thats why you try them and see how it goes.

The Thing is: OB has a pretty good idea if Mallett or Savage could be that guy. He sees them every day in practice. If he'd feel comfortable with them, he would Play them - he is not. At least not yet. Maybe they don't have the playbook down, maybe the Speed of the game is still too fast for them, maybe they get confused by coverages.

OB will do whatever he believes will get us the win. I am not saying playing Fitz is the right Thing to do - I'd love to see Mallett or Savage out there. But I am saying, we should trust the guy that actually has an idea what they can do and not just throw them out there, because Fitz has been underwhelming...

If we were 1-4 this would be a lot easier to decide for OB. But we are 3-2 with a chance to take first place tonight. Why would we change QBs if we are 4-2 and in first place?

Why did the Ravens fire their OC right before the playoffs with a 9-4 record? Because, good teams don't base decisions on what today's record and results are, they have the forethought to make decisions before the bus lands in the ditch.

I don't understand all of this, "Fitzpatrick should/will be the starter as long as we're winning" talk. Keep him under center and that winning record will go right out the Window. Hopefully O'brien can see that, so it doesn't even matter if Mallett or Savage lose.. At least they'll get experience and reps. Valuable reps wasted on a journeyman crappy QB who's been in the league a decade now.

I don't understand all of this, "Fitzpatrick should/will be the starter as long as we're winning" talk.

So uh, if we make it to 9-2, you'd still want Fitz to be replaced...?

By the way, Cameron had years of offensive ineptitude with the Ravens before he was finally let go. There was a long history there.

I think they roll Fitz out there and if he does bad again, we MIGHT see Mallett at the half. If not and Fitz goes back out there and we lose, then I see Mallett starting next week.

The only way IMO Fitz keeps his job is if he lights up the Colts.

That's where we disagree.
I think all Fitz has to do is not give away the game and he keeps his job. If Fitz comes out and has a 12 for 18 or 14 for 21 game with no INTs and maybe 180 - 200 yds and runs for a couple for first downs, even if we lose, then he's met O'Brien's expectations and he starts again next week.

If Fitz does those things then he's "managed the game". And if our defense keeps the Colts' offense between 17 and 20 pts and comes up with a couple of turnovers that we can turn into points (and in so doing, cause a couple of Luck scoring drives to end in futility) we have a decent chance to win.

IIRC SF did, even though Alex Smith got hurt and came back from injury the year after leading the 9'ers to the NFC championship...

In your heart of heart's can you really say Ryan Fitzpatrick gives the Texans the bet chance to win...

If so, they are screwed...

By the way, Cameron had years of offensive ineptitude with the Ravens before he was finally let go. There was a long history there.

come on man, do you really think THIS team under THAT QB is going 9-2?

The Texans are starring a possible 2 game losing streak in face tonight, with a possible 3 game losing streak next Monday night against the Steelers.

THEN the Tacs, Texans should win....

Then ANOTHER possible 3 game losing streak after that in Philly, Browns (you laugh but look at what they have done) and the Bengals....

These next 6 games are going to be crucial season changers. By Thanksgiving they will either be in the hunt for the playoffs or we are talking about who the Texans will draft in May.

So by Thanksgiving, we may actually get to see Mallet, if not before

TJ Yates came off the bench as the third string qb and won a game for us, THAT IS ICE COLD.

Mallett knows the system and has been here a month. He should be just fine under center. Sure he will have kinks to work out, but its not like what we are running right now is some complex machine. Fitz is almost dead last in the league in passes over 20 yards, only Oakland is worse than us. I think Mallett or Savage could come in and throw 4 yard passes while staring down AJ, Hopkins and Arian. Im sure I COULD do that. Let alone an NFL qb who has been in the league for a few years under the same system (Mallett).

Oh, well now that you've cited one time that a guy came in cold and didn't completely blow it I guess there's nothing more to be said on the matter. Certainly not anything about, maybe, perhaps, oh I don't know, the tenfold other examples there are of guys coming in cold and getting eaten alive for it. Maybe as recent as Mike Vick last weekend.

But no, you're right, NFL head coaches should use T.J. Yates as the standard bearing example and refrain from giving Mallett as well organized a shot at success as could be. Because T.J. Yates came in, out of necessity, with a 7 point lead against a glorified high school team and didn't spontaneously combust, that's why we won't use reason and a sound tactical approach to seeing what Mallett can best give this team moving forward.

Because T.J. Yates "won" some game ...

Oh, well now that you've cited one time that a guy came in cold and didn't completely blow it I guess there's nothing more to be said on the matter. Certainly not anything about, maybe, perhaps, oh I don't know, the tenfold other examples there are of guys coming in cold and getting eaten alive for it. Maybe as recent as Mike Vick last weekend.

But no, you're right, NFL head coaches should use T.J. Yates as the standard bearing example and refrain from giving Mallett as well organized a shot at success as could be. Because T.J. Yates came in, out of necessity, with a 7 point lead against a glorified high school team and didn't spontaneously combust, that's why we won't use reason and a sound tactical approach to seeing what Mallett can best give this team moving forward.

Because T.J. Yates "won" some game ...

*in my Charlie Casserly voice*

Hey..., hey hey hey now....The was the first PLAYOFF game in Texans history this kid won, you see...That kid's got some potential...Would have drafted him over David Carr if I could've in 2002. Would have been a All-Pro you see....

I am with you, I wanna see what Mallet has. If he's got nothing, then fine they move on, BUT if he shows that he can stretch the field and make the throws Fitzpatrick struggles with, then I wanna see development into next year...

I think it's the not knowing that is kinda frustrating....

hc9b.jpg

I would not be upset to see Mallett today.

Ryan Mallett audition hinges on Texans' record

Link

From the article:

The organization entered the season aiming to avoid a full-blown reconstruction effort in 2014. As long as they remain competitive, Fitzpatrick's job is secure.

In the event of a prolonged losing streak, though, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported on NFL Network's Around The NFL on Thursday, Mallett will get his chance

i just saw Mallet warming up with Fitz , Mallet was wearing a wrist band with plays on it . Fitz was not .
i would have thought he would not need it by now , maybe he is still far behind

So you just danced around my point.. Okay.

Point is, you said as long as the Texans were winning, Fitzpatrick shouldn't be replaced. The Ravens were winning with Cameron.. Yet he was replaced. As far as year's of ineptitude and a long history, Fitzpatrick has been the same player for a decade now, what else are you expecting to see?

So you just danced around my point.. Okay.

Point is, you said as long as the Texans were winning, Fitzpatrick shouldn't be replaced. The Ravens were winning with Cameron.. Yet he was replaced. As far as year's of ineptitude and a long history, Fitzpatrick has been the same player for a decade now, what else are you expecting to see?

Miracle

didn't see the last 3 mins fumble but obvs that was garbage time

Fitz payed just well enough to keep his job maybe till the bye

With 10 days to prepare for the Monday Night Football game at Pittsburgh, I'd at least give Ryan Mallett some first-team reps in practice over the course of the following week. Doesn't hurt to take a little look at what he can do. This team is 3-3 and going to need a spark at the quarterback position to make a run at a wild-card spot. The offensive line has to pass block better but we need some exciting quarterback play at the same time. Somebody with a canon arm which I believe Mallet-Magic has.

We can always go back to Ryan Fitzpatrick if Ryan Mallett struggles any. I don't understand why the Texans don't at least explore all options. Although with Jadeveon Clowney coming back I think the defense is going to dominate. We're probably going to win some games despite our inconsistent passing game. All we can do for now is focus on the Steelers, Titans and Eagles. Try to reach that bye week with a 6-3 record. That should have us very much in the AFC wild card race and no worse than one game back in the AFC South if not tied.

It's not and the opportunity was fumbled.

Nope , it wasn't garbage time , the game was still very much in doubt with ~2 minutes left and only down 6.

As for the fumble , no one was open , Fitz was under pressure with the OL failing again .... with these lackluster route combinations and crap play from the OL Fitz is handicapped .... as if he wasn't handicapped enough to begin with.

They need to attack the middle of the field with intermediate routes that allow Fitz to make one , maybe two reads and dump it off to the back , speaking of which .... where's the check down guy at ?!

With 10 days to prepare for the Monday Night Football game at Pittsburgh, I'd at least give Ryan Mallett some first-team reps in practice over the course of the following week. Doesn't hurt to take a little look at what he can do. This team is 3-3 and going to need a spark at the quarterback position to make a run at a wild-card spot. The offensive line has to pass block better but we need some exciting quarterback play at the same time. Somebody with a canon arm which I believe Mallet-Magic has.

Hard for me to get behind starting a rookie QB on MNF.

Hell , I don't think Peyton Manning could make this system look .... useful.
With all the talk of its complexity , all I see is a rudimentary scheme that doesn't play to the strengths of its parts.

Going to Mallett doesn't change a thing.

The problem we have is we have a choice between
Fitz
Mallet
Savage

at QB

Those are our f#&#&%g choices.

WHO do we have to thank for this?????????????????/

GET RID OF RICK on shoes baby.

The problem we have is we have a choice between
Fitz
Mallet
Savage

at QB

Those are our f#&#&%g choices.

WHO do we have to thank for this?????????????????/

GET RID OF RICK on shoes baby.

How many of the QBs from last year do we have?

And you think that's on Smith? LOL

These are OB's boys.

Maybe that is the problem. We have NO GM. What the hell is a GM supposed to do. Sorry I am sick and tired of Rick always being let off because he is not responsible for anything. If that is the case why have him???

How many of the QBs from last year do we have?

And you think that's on Smith? LOL

These are OB's boys.

Like I mentioned in the other thread.

Rick had no one in line to step up. You cannot think that we would be in better shape with Case and TJ.

I am sure OB would rather have Peyton but he wasn't made available.

:coffee:

Like I mentioned in the other thread.

Rick had no one in line to step up. You cannot think that we would be in better shape with Case and TJ.

I am sure OB would rather have Peyton but he wasn't made available.

:coffee:

It's not about what would be better. I believe the two QB guru coaches have controlled the QBs on the team. And that's proper. Who should get final say between the play caller and QB guru and a former DB? But that means the blame lies with them not the GM.

Other positions we can lay on the GM. Kubiak I think had essentially zero say on defense. Not sure on OB but I suspect the same.

All I will ever need to know about Blow me Rick is that we had a shot at one of the best ILB prospects of the last 10+ years and we decided to draft a 19 year old shitty DT. If you look at Willis and Zerokoye and say "Wow, Amobi is it" you are dead to me. Period.

Going to Mallett doesn't change a thing.

You can't say for certain and I completely disagree with you. I think this team needs a leader and they need to start looking for one now before this season gets away from them completely. Fitz can't lead the Texans anywhere but the top of next year's draft and they know it.

Need to look in their other bottle(s) and see if one of them might have a little lightning in it.

All I will ever need to know about Blow me Rick is that we had a shot at one of the best ILB prospects of the last 10+ years and we decided to draft a 19 year old shitty DT. If you look at Willis and Zerokoye and say "Wow, Amobi is it" you are dead to me. Period.

Three out of the four players taken after "Phe" were Patrick Willis, Marshawn Lynch, and Darrelle Revis.

Every time I think about that I want to scream. It's like when Casserly traded away from Derrick Johnson and selected Travis Johnson (AKA: The Slug)

You can't say for certain and I completely disagree with you. I think this team needs a leader and they need to start looking for one now before this season gets away from them completely. Fitz can't lead the Texans anywhere but the top of next year's draft and they know it.

Need to look in their other bottle(s) and see if one of them might have a little lightning in it.

Mallett (or any QB) cant solve all the other problems .... piss poor blocking , unimaginative route combinations , everything going to the sidelines instead of attacking the middle of the field , poor time management .... the list goes on.
You could put Steve Young back there doing his best impersonation of Barry Sanders and it wouldn't change those things. This offense blows chunks. /vomit.

Three out of the four players taken after "Phe" were Patrick Willis, Marshawn Lynch, and Darrelle Revis.

Every time I think about that I want to scream. It's like when Casserly traded away from Derrick Johnson and selected Travis Johnson (AKA: The Slug)

Another ..... /vomit.

Mallett (or any QB) cant solve all the other problems .... piss poor blocking , unimaginative route combinations , everything going to the sidelines instead of attacking the middle of the field , poor time management .... the list goes on.
You could Steve Young back there doing his best impersonation of Barry Sanders and it wouldn't change those things. This offense blows chunks. /vomit.

A guy with great pocket presence and escapability can still make things work with poor blocking. Just look at Luck last night. He made some great plays in the pocket to keep things alive despite being under heavy pressure. Of course, that's part of the reason he was a #1 overall pick, but it is possible.

Problem is Mallett and Savage have never displayed great pocket presence or escapability in the past. Fitz has been able to escape, which is a huge plus, but he doesn't have great awareness and makes some very poor decisions that kind of erase the good things he might bring to the table.

Mallett is going to get his shot eventually, but I worry about what will happen to him behind this protection. He's a statue back there. Fitz has been able to avoid a lot of hits and he's still taken some wicked punishment.

A guy with great pocket presence and escapability can still make things work with poor blocking. Just look at Luck last night. He made some great plays in the pocket to keep things alive despite being under heavy pressure. Of course, that's part of the reason he was a #1 overall pick, but it is possible.

Problem is Mallett and Savage have never displayed great pocket presence or escapability in the past. Fitz has been able to escape, which is a huge plus, but he doesn't have great awareness and makes some very poor decisions that kind of erase the good things he might bring to the table.

Mallett is going to get his shot eventually, but I worry about what will happen to him behind this protection. He's a statue back there. Fitz has been able to avoid a lot of hits and he's still taken some wicked punishment.

Luck is pretty damn special .... there were a couple times he made plays with guy's all over him. I don't know if there is another QB in the league that makes those plays - Maybe Roethlisberger at his best which is behind him.

Luck isn't handcuffed by a poor scheme either , they play to his strengths & he often makes up for blocking mistakes. Fitz doesn't have that luxury , he has to deal with poor blocking and poorly designed plays / scheme.

Luck is pretty damn special .... there were a couple times he made plays with guy's all over him. I don't know if there is another QB in the league that makes those plays - Maybe Roethlisberger at his best which is behind him.

Luck isn't handcuffed by a poor scheme either , they play to his strengths. Fitz doesn't have that luxury , he has to deal with poor blocking and poorly designed plays / scheme.

Agreed. To be fair though, part of the reason for some of the scheme issues is that they are being designed to compensate for Fitz's shortcomings. Luck doesn't have very many shortcomings (if any) that need to be schemed around.

Screen/draw on 3rd & long because O'Brien either doesn't have the faith that we can protect or complete intermediate passes. Conservative early game playcalling to hold off until latest moment before 'unleashing' Fitz. Fitz suffers from a lack of faith/trust by the coaching staff (for good reason) and the offense suffers from unstable QB play.

Agreed. To be fair though, part of the reason for some of the scheme issues is that they are being designed to compensate for Fitz's shortcomings. Luck doesn't have very many shortcomings (if any) that need to be schemed around.

Screen/draw on 3rd & long because O'Brien either doesn't have the faith that we can protect or complete intermediate passes. Conservative early game playcalling to hold off until latest moment before 'unleashing' Fitz.

Is that why they go five wide and put the ball in Fitz hands ?!

They've done it all season , ahead or behind .... I don't think OB is limiting Fitz at all. I think the playbook is missing a few pages.

Is that why they go five wide and put the ball in Fitz hands ?!

They've done it all season , ahead or behind .... I don't think OB is limiting Fitz at all. I think the playbook is missing a few pages.

IMO, 5 wide is to try and limit the pressure that Fitz is getting on most snaps. Most of those formation snaps are designed to spread the field and get easy looks at short throws and keep Fitz from having 3 guys in the face by the time he's dropped back.

I'm not saying that OB is limiting Fitz. I'm saying his playcalling is limited by Fitz. Those extra pages would be in play if he had a more talented QB that he had faith in (Brady, for instance).

I'd like to see Mallett eventually, but I still don't think he's the future. They need to give him the chance to prove it either way before the offseason.

A few more games and we can start our own "Suck for the Duck" campaign

IMO, 5 wide is to try and limit the pressure that Fitz is getting on most snaps. Most of those formation snaps are designed to spread the field and get easy looks at short throws and keep Fitz from having 3 guys in the face by the time he's dropped back.

I'm not saying that OB is limiting Fitz. I'm saying his playcalling is limited by Fitz. Those extra pages would be in play if he had a more talented QB that he had faith in (Brady, for instance).

Early on the Dolts got pressure rushing four against five blockers.

Basically going five wide under any circumstances is telling the defense a quick pass is coming because you have no one to pick up a blitzer, when they have already gotten heavy pressure with only four guys rushing .... You are just inviting trouble.

Yeah , Brady , Manning or Brees might complete a few more balls under those circumstances ..... but they'll take a beating in the process just like Fitz has.

Speaking of which , I wonder if OB is trying to get Fitz broke up so he has an excuse to go with one of the other two. (sarcasm).

Listen, you can't blame the play-calling and bad route combinations on OB in this instance.

The way this offense is SUPPOSED to work is that it's up to the QB to read the defense pre-snap and then he's supposed to audible to the receivers to get them into a route package that will spring someone free. If the call is a WR screen and he sees that the defense is in an alignment that's going to take that away, it's up to the QB to make that read and change the play. If he reads that he's not going to have much time, he has to be sure to audible to a route combo that gives him a quick throw.

This is why I've been frustrated with Fitzy. I don't think he's been putting his guys into the right places; I don't think he's been making the right reads and I don't think he's been calling the right audibles.

I don't know if Mallett or Savage could do any better. But at least with Mallett and Savage, you've got guys who can throw the ball on ropes into tighter windows. I don't know if they are more accurate than Fitzy. I hope one of them is. But I know they've got more arm talent.

I'm a Mallett supporter. I think he could come in and win some games for us that Fitzy couldn't. I think we'd get a lot more defensive pass interference calls with AJ and Deandre and Damaris going deep and Mallet putting it up there for them to go get.

Back