Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ryan Mallett

This is the same as last year where I am a supporter of anyone NOT our starting QB. In this case, I want to see Mallet out there. I am unable to believe he can be any worse than Shitzpatrick...

Mallett (or any QB) cant solve all the other problems .... piss poor blocking , unimaginative route combinations , everything going to the sidelines instead of attacking the middle of the field , poor time management .... the list goes on.
You could put Steve Young back there doing his best impersonation of Barry Sanders and it wouldn't change those things. This offense blows chunks. /vomit.

I'll sign off on this. This offense blows. Fitz is limited, but the concepts and design leave a lot to be desired and where are the TE's in this offense? They are MIA.

My only question is how much is chicken and how much is egg?

I mean at this point we have a limited QB and an oline that is inconsistent and plays very poorly for long stretches.

If we had a better QB and a better oline, how does that change the offense from a scheme perspective?

As far as Mallett - again the oline blows. At least Fitz has some wheels and plenty of experience running around behind horrid offensive lines. It's almost not fair to throw a guy with almost no game experience to the wolves.

If a change is going to be made, I suspect it will be the bye week and only if the team is crashing and burning.

We have to see what Ryan Mallett can do so we know whether or not we have to invest a potential first or second-round pick on a quarterback in the 2015 NFL Draft. At this point Tom Savage isn't going to be ready to play this season. He's way behind in his development. Even if Fitzpatrick and Mallett got hurt, like Schaub and Leinart did a few years ago, we wouldn't start Savage. We'd sign a couple of free agent QBs and one of those guys would start with limited knowledge of the system.

All the while we're sitting here at 3-3 with two straight heartbreaking losses. We are still in the mix for an AFC wild-card spot. The winner of the Texans versus Steelers game on October 20 will have a leg up for that final wild card spot. Hopefully the Patriots and Ravens lose also. I believe better pass protection from the offensive line is going to come. Sometimes offensive linemen play harder for a quarterback who plays well. Not saying they aren't playing hard for Ryan Fitzpatrick but look at that final fumble by Fitzpatrick, a couple of those guys were jumping up and down in disgust like they knew it was going to happen. Maybe Ryan Mallett would spark some excitement for the entire offense. We'll never know if he doesn't play. Ryan Fitzpatrick can always go back into the game at any time. I just want to see Mallett start one game just to get his feet wet if nothing else.

The Texans have 10 days to prepare for the road game at Pittsburgh. If Bill O'Brien were thinking about a quarterback change this is the time to do it. With so many off days. His next opportunity? In early November during the bye week when we have 14 days off. Can we beat the Steelers, Titans and Eagles with Ryan Fitzpatrick? Sure. We may be able to reach 6-3 with what we have. If we do it's going to be because of Arian Foster and our dominating defense fueled by the return of Jadeveon Clowney. I believe if we had Clowney we'd have beaten the Cowboys or Colts, maybe both. At least he's coming back the next game.

So let me get this straight. Its our scheme and play designs that limit Fitz, but only for half the game? The other half where we move the ball and guys are open, those are "the better plays from the playbook"?

Some of you guys are idiots. Our playbook didn't change last season with Case Keenum, but when he was in there we couldn't move the ball and guys looked covered. And it seemed like our OLINE magically regressed. Fitz is the exact same as Case from last year, but older and less mobile. He has no concept of how to read defenses and cannot beat a blitz. Sound familiar????

The guy sucks hard and isn't going to magically "get it" this week, next week or 2 years from now. He is what he is. An inaccurate, weak arm, barely mobile guy with no ability to read defenses pre or post snaps.

Is Mallett or Savage that guy? I do not know for sure and none of you know for sure they aren't. Thats the point. Let them try because they are young enough they can possibly be taught still. Shake up the damn offense. Wake them up and see who can beat a blitz with quick timing throws, something Fitz hasn't done EVER.

Tom Savage may be the guy in 2015 or 2016. He's a nice project. Ryan Mallett is more advanced with his NFL experience. I know it's not much but he did sit and learn behind one of the greatest quarterbacks of our generation. I find it hard to believe he didn't learn anything. Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't going to be our guy for the long haul. He's old and will play a few more years in the NFL. Ideally he'd be a good backup quarterback for most teams. Ryan Mallett is in his prime right now. We could ride that Ryan Mallett train for four, five, six seasons maybe. Like we did with Matt Schaub. We'll never know if he doesn't play.

Tom Savage may be the guy in 2015 or 2016. He's a nice project. Ryan Mallett is more advanced with his NFL experience. I know it's not much but he did sit and learn behind one of the greatest quarterbacks of our generation. I find it hard to believe he didn't learn anything. Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't going to be our guy for the long haul. He's old and will play a few more years in the NFL. Ideally he'd be a good backup quarterback for most teams. Ryan Mallett is in his prime right now. We could ride that Ryan Mallett train for four, five, six seasons maybe. Like we did with Matt Schaub. We'll never know if he doesn't play.

Mallett is going to get his shot at some point. I know many of you are banging the table and want it now, but just have some patience. It will happen.

I am now convinced this is a season that McNair is allowing the coaches to sort through the roster and adjust it to what they want going forward. Any wins are gravy, as Fitz is getting the body blows and fan ridicule while Mallett is given a look see to decide if he can start 2015. If yes, a contract will be offered and if no, we lose a day three pick, no big deal. Savage is given time to make up for the lack of coaching he had before ending up at Pitt. McNair should consider it a positive that he mollified Andre Johnson and extended Watt. He is also giving a season to decide if Hal, Morris and Bouye are players or bench guys. A season to figure out Cushing, Joseph, Myers, Foster, left DE/DT (Crick playing better each game in his final contract year), Posey and Martin who both should be gone 2015.

Unfortunately Clowney and Nix are unable to get on field while X, Fiedo and Blue are not performing to my expectations. That is four starters and backup RB that I expected to get a lot more reps.

Mallett is going to get his shot at some point. I know many of you are banging the table and want it now, but just have some patience. It will happen.

In my opinion the sooner the better. Gives you enough games to evaluate what you have in Mallett to see if he warrants a contract. You still have Fitz as a backup just in case Mallett gets hurt or if he really does suck.

And OB can draft a qb if he still wants to and have him battle it out with Savage.

So let me get this straight. Its our scheme and play designs that limit Fitz, but only for half the game? The other half where we move the ball and guys are open, those are "the better plays from the playbook"?

Some of you guys are idiots. Our playbook didn't change last season with Case Keenum, but when he was in there we couldn't move the ball and guys looked covered. And it seemed like our OLINE magically regressed. Fitz is the exact same as Case from last year, but older and less mobile. He has no concept of how to read defenses and cannot beat a blitz. Sound familiar????

The guy sucks hard and isn't going to magically "get it" this week, next week or 2 years from now. He is what he is. An inaccurate, weak arm, barely mobile guy with no ability to read defenses pre or post snaps.

Is Mallett or Savage that guy? I do not know for sure and none of you know for sure they aren't. Thats the point. Let them try because they are young enough they can possibly be taught still. Shake up the damn offense. Wake them up and see who can beat a blitz with quick timing throws, something Fitz hasn't done EVER.

Barely mobile? Fitz has nearly 1500 rushing yards in his career. He's not Michael Vick, but come on.

And BTW, when your line is having trouble protecting a guy that is somewhat mobile, ya it's a real good idea to put in a statue like Mallett to get killed. He's a whole lot taller I'll grant you, but he's Matt Schaub mobile. I'm not trying to say he is not mobile, but he shops at concrete shoes R us.

Barely mobile? Fitz has nearly 1500 rushing yards in his career. He's not Michael Vick, but come on.

And BTW, when your line is having trouble protecting a guy that is somewhat mobile, ya it's a real good idea to put in a statue like Mallett to get killed. He's a whole lot taller I'll grant you, but he's Matt Schaub mobile. I'm not trying to say he is not mobile, but he shops at concrete shoes R us.

1500 whole yards rushing? No joke? Why, that comes to almost..... 17 whole yards per game.

Impressive.

1. Fitzpatrick is nothing special when it comes to mobility.
2. Mallet is not a statue. Where you get this idea I will never know.

I want to see some of this. Granted it's preseason. Granted it's against scrubs. Didn't see much of this out of Fitz this preseason.

1500 whole yards rushing? No joke? Why, that comes to almost..... 17 whole yards per game.

Impressive.

I want to see some of this. Granted it's preseason. Granted it's against scrubs. Didn't see much of this out of Fitz this preseason.

Mallett isn't Schaubesque, but he's not much better. Give him a couple years to age and he'll have Schaub feet.

I am now convinced this is a season that McNair is allowing the coaches to sort through the roster and adjust it to what they want going forward. Any wins are gravy, as Fitz is getting the body blows and fan ridicule while Mallett is given a look see to decide if he can start 2015. If yes, a contract will be offered and if no, we lose a day three pick, no big deal. Savage is given time to make up for the lack of coaching he had before ending up at Pitt. McNair should consider it a positive that he mollified Andre Johnson and extended Watt. He is also giving a season to decide if Hal, Morris and Bouye are players or bench guys. A season to figure out Cushing, Joseph, Myers, Foster, left DE/DT (Crick playing better each game in his final contract year), Posey and Martin who both should be gone 2015.

Unfortunately Clowney and Nix are unable to get on field while X, Fiedo and Blue are not performing to my expectations. That is four starters and backup RB that I expected to get a lot more reps.

GG isn't a rookie, but we re-signed him this off season...

Right now, one has to be wondering why...

He wasn't brought back to a road grader. A Mentor? nah...

He's supposed to be catching passes. TE's being wasted in this offense.

Impressive.

There is no point in arguing anymore. Those of us who want Fitz out and Mallett in will not change our stance and neither with the Fitz believers or Mallett haters. Until the team changes qb's this all pointless bickering.

Certainly not a Mallett hater. What's to hate? We haven't seen him. OTOH, there are a lot of Fitz haters who aren't being intellectually honest about his play because their minds are made up. He has outplayed my (granted low) expectations. I'm neither a Ftiz hater or Fitz lover, but I'm trying to be objective.

I'm not arguing this from a fan's perspective as frankly I'd like to see Mallett. I'm just saying what I've said since the trade and I've been extremely consistent - we aren't going to see him unless we're essentially out of the race or Fitz is injured. Coaches don't trade known quantities for unknowns unless they are forced to for the most part.

Unless you have an entrenched quality starter the backup is always the most popular guy in town. I go back to the days of Commander Cody, Gifford Neilson, and Bucky Richardson of all people. This isn't my first QB rodeo. Fans clamoring for the backup is as predictable as the swallows returning to Capistrano and the monarch butterfly's returning to Mexico.

Once in a blue moon it works when the backup comes in (see Brady, Tom) but most of the time it doesn't (see Keenum, Case). Like I said, I'd like to find out myself, but it's not happening any time soon imo.

And FTR, mobility is more than rushing yards. How many times has Fitz escaped the rush this year where Schaub, even in his prime, would be sacked. If you can't be intellectually honest and you're just out to bash the guy because you don't like him, that's fine, but just get on the record that is what you are - a Fitz hater and others can judge your posts accordingly.

What I noticed in that video is how quick he made a decision and got rid of the ball.

I must say Ryan is doing a good job in a learning curve for all players. The TE position should help him if they would call some serious passing plays. I've seen some good production by our TE's but it seems to far in between calls. I'm expecting to see some Mallett in the Pittsburg game. i wanted to draft him out of college but now I'm excited to see what he can do. I think he will be able to get the ball on target and put a spark in our play. Waiting

Mallett look mobile-enough in that clip, and he has an accurate-enough CANNON.

Can't be worse than Fitz, and his arm would give our receivers a chance in these games.

The problem we have is we have a choice between
Fitz
Mallet
Savage

at QB

Those are our f#&#&%g choices.

WHO do we have to thank for this?????????????????/
Bill O'Brien.
He hand picked Fitzpatrick - go back and check HT.com. Fitz says he talked to O'Brien; he never once said he talked to Smith about coming here. O'Brien brought him in. Further, O'Brien named Fitzpatrick the starter in June, way before training camp. That tells me Fitz was his boy all along.
All three of the QBs currently on this roster were O'Brien selections.
I'm not thrilled about our QBs either, but give "credit" where credit is due. And the credit for the QBs on our roster belongs to the head coach.

Mallett look mobile-enough in that clip, and he has an accurate-enough CANNON.

Can't be worse than Fitz, and his arm would give our receivers a chance in these games.

That's what I've been saying. And in the Eagles preseason game, he looked even better than that.

Bill O'Brien.
He hand picked Fitzpatrick - go back and check HT.com. Fitz says he talked to O'Brien; he never once said he talked to Smith about coming here. O'Brien brought him in. Further, O'Brien named Fitzpatrick the starter in June, way before training camp. That tells me Fitz was his boy all along.
I'm not thrilled about our QBs either, but give "credit" where credit is due. And the credit for the QBs on our roster belongs to the head coach.

There was at least one mention that Fitzy was not the first choice.

Link
Texans sign quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick
Posted on March 20, 2014 | By John McClain

Signing Fitzpatrick (6-2, 225) after the Texans’ initial target, Josh McCown, canceled a visit to Houston and signed with Tampa Bay, gives Smith the luxury of having a multiyear starter on board if he trades Schaub....

There was at least one mention that Fitzy was not the first choice.

Link
Texans sign quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick
Posted on March 20, 2014 | By John McClain
wow....
First, thanks because this is the first time I'd heard this.
Second, I don't know if we lucked out or not; we probably did because McCown was not exactly lighting it up for Tampa before his thumb injury.

wow....
First, thanks because this is the first time I'd heard this.
Second, I don't know if we lucked out or not; we probably did because McCown was not exactly lighting it up for Tampa before his thumb injury.

This mess about Fitz being "Hand Picked" by OB is a little out of whack .... You have to realize what was on the market as far as Vet FA QB's.

McCown & Fitz ..... were the cream of the crop. There just wasn't a solution out there. That's why I started that "who's your QB" thread. As to me , there didn't appear to be a solution anywhere .... Your choices were bad , worse and Charlie Brown.

I didn't believe Mallet was going to happen either as it drug on so damn long. Didn't make much sense to me to make that move so close to the end of camp & he has no time to learn the offense & fight for the starting job out of the gate.

The fact that we are six games and have had atrocious QB play and still haven't seen Mallett doesn't give me much hope that he's the solution.

This mess about Fitz being "Hand Picked" by OB is a little out of whack .... You have to realize what was on the market as far as Vet FA QB's.

McCown & Fitz ..... were the cream of the crop. There just wasn't a solution out there. That's why I started that "who's your QB" thread. As to me , there didn't appear to be a solution anywhere .... Your choices were bad , worse and Charlie Brown.

I didn't believe Mallet was going to happen either as it drug on so damn long. Didn't make much sense to me to make that move so close to the end of camp & he has no time to learn the offense & fight for the starting job out of the gate.

The fact that we are six games and have had atrocious QB play and still haven't seen Mallett doesn't give me much hope that he's the solution.

BUT we WERE winning, you don't change something if it works, at least now maybe O'brien will consider it after dropping 2 in a row, but i'm doubtful.

Bill O'Brien.

I suppose seeing what was already on the roster, Yates and Keenum, OB probably figured that he couldn't do worse than Smith did.

And he didn't.

I ain't like OB turned down Payton Manning or something. :kitten:

This QB fiasco falls squarely on Rick Smith.

:coffee:

I suppose seeing what was already on the roster, Yates and Keenum, OB probably figured that he couldn't do worse than Smith did.

And he didn't.

I ain't like OB turned down Payton Manning or something. :kitten:

This QB fiasco falls squarely on Rick Smith.

:coffee:

Absolutely , the options were limited.

Thing is , we have to look at the entire situation.

Schaub was really good until he got hurt. Smith extended him after he came back and showed he was healthy. Thing Smith didn't take into account is that Schaub's injury was going to get worse with use (according to CND) and that's exactly what happened.
Going into last season , Smith was banking on a healthy Schaub who had just led the team to back to back division titles. To him , there was no need to replace Schaub , they were considered superbowl contenders with him.
Then Schaub melts down both physically and mentally and we are stuck with Case Keenum .....
Then you come to the draft and are faced with the choice of the most physically gifted player in the draft or a suspect QB. They had to take Clowney (despite the injuries so far this season , I still think it was the right choice) with that first pick.
Then Manziel goes to Cleveland , GloveWater one pick ahead of you to Minny and Garapolo a couple picks ahead of your #3.
Add to that the junk (McCown & Fitz) on the FA scrap heap ..... and we're signing the best of the worst.

In hindsight , I think they should have moved up and taken one of Manziel , GloveWater or Garapolo rather than waiting for them to fall to them ....especially when you consider the crap for production they have gotten from the guys they took in those spots - XSF has been bad , Nix is on IR & the only thing Fido has caught is dirty laundry and Savage probably isn't as good as any of the three.

They could have walked away from that draft with one of the following combinations of players:

Clowney , Manziel , Fido (probably costs you 2nd and 3rd rounders)
Clowney , GloveWater , Nix (wouldn't have cost much to move up 1-2 spots probably the 4th maybe less)
Clowney , XSF , Garapolo.

Rather they let each one slip by and we get a year of Fitz instead of a year of a rookie QB learning on the job.
Basically they wasted at least a season in doing so as now we'll be looking for that future QB in the coming draft and pissing away another year as he takes his lumps --- Unless Mallett (or Savage) turns out to be the right choice which isn't out of the question but I wouldn't bank on it.

Going into this season we all knew it wasn't going to be a great one because of the hole at QB .... But , to me , it would have been much more tolerable to have a rookie QB developing rather than starting a scrap heap 10 year vet.

In hindsight , I think they should have moved up and taken one of Manziel , GloveWater or Garapolo rather than waiting for them to fall to them ....especially when you consider the crap for production they have gotten from the guys they took in those spots - XSF has been bad , Nix is on IR & the only thing Fido has caught is dirty laundry and Savage probably isn't as good as any of the three.

They could have walked away from that draft with one of the following combinations of players:

Clowney , GloveWater , Nix (wouldn't have cost much to move up 1-2 spots probably the 4th maybe less)

Rather they let each one slip by and we get a year of Fitz instead of a year of a rookie QB learning on the job.

Basically they wasted at least a season in doing so as now we'll be looking for that future QB in the coming draft and pissing away another year as he takes his lumps --- Unless Mallett (or Savage) turns out to be the right choice which isn't out of the question but I wouldn't bank on it.

Going into this season we all knew it wasn't going to be a great one because of the hole at QB .... But , to me , it would have been much more tolerable to have a rookie QB developing rather than starting a scrap heap 10 year vet.

Let's wait three years before making any kind of statements. We have no idea how any of these QBs will pan out. For all we know, Savage could turn out to be the best? I'm not a fan of drafting a QB in the first round just because that's our biggest need. Vikes did that with Ponder, Titans with Locker, Jags with Gaebbert, Browns with Weeden... shall I go on?

Now if Bortles turns out to be a pro bowl QB, even if Clowney is a pro bowler himself, then we can claim bad choices were made.

I doubt that any QB in this draft is going to be as successful as Phillip Rivers. & to be clear, I think Rivers was a great prospect coming into the NFL. Definitely worth the 1st overall pick.

He hasn't had the kind of success that you'd expect from a #1 overall, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

As far as taking Carr, or Garoppolo, or whoever in the second or later... The only reason I can see someone being upset with what we did is because they think that guy would be starting over Fitz by now. I don't think that's the case. OB went out & got Mallet for a 7th/6th round pick explicitly so he wouldn't have to start Savage before he is ready to start Savage. If he were so upset with the way Fitz is playing he'd have gone to Mallet by now.

Since he hasn't started Mallet, I don't think he would have started Carr, Garoppolo, or even Bridgewater had we traded up to get him.

Since he hasn't started Mallet, I don't think he would have started Carr, Garoppolo, or even Bridgewater had we traded up to get him.

You have to look at when Mallett was acquired too ... right at the end of the preseason.

Any of those we would have drafted would have had something Mallett didn't in a full training camp and preseason with the team , learning the system and getting acclimated with the OL / receivers.

I think that's a BIG part of why Mallett isn't / hasn't started yet. There has to be some significant reason why he is holding a clip board when even good Fitz is .... BAD.

@ dream_team

That post above had three points:

1) was the timeline of the QB issue and the suckitude in the FA junk pile.

2) It'd be much more tolerable to endure a poor season with a young QB with growth potential under center rather than a known commodity from the junk heap in Fitz.

3) Not solving the QB issue this season means we have to do it in the future and in the mean time we are spinning our wheels , AJ , Foster & others aging fast on a team that is built to win NOW .... minus a quarterback.

Suck for the Duck is the best one I've heard.

The one thing that concerns me about him is the fact that everything is from the pistol / shotgun.

Winston , Cook & Hundley take snaps from under center .... but

If I had to take one of them , give me the Duck.

The one thing that concerns me about him is the fact that everything is from the pistol / shotgun.

Winston , Cook & Hundley take snaps from under center .... but

If I had to take one of them , give me the Duck.

I was just talking about the saying, lol

I don't know which one is best for us, but the Duck is exciting!

But , to me , it would have been much more tolerable to have a rookie QB developing rather than starting a scrap heap 10 year vet.

Agree the options were limited. Many of us pointed that out way before the draft and F/A period began.

But the bottom line is your last sentence. We could be more patient with shaky performances from a rookie QB we're developing for the future than from a vet who's ceiling was reached long, long ago.

But it is what it is.

oh and for the record, my vote would go to the Clowney/best Olineman available/Garappolo mix with a solid pair of LBs in the later rounds.

What is the possibility that we could undo the Manning miss by prising Tom Brady away from New England in the offseason?

3) Not solving the QB issue this season means we have to do it in the future and in the mean time we are spinning our wheels , AJ , Foster & others aging fast on a team that is built to win NOW .... minus a quarterback.

How do you know we didn't solve it? Mallet or Savage could be our QB of the future.

What is the possibility that we could undo the Manning miss by prising Tom Brady away from New England in the offseason?

We didn't miss on Manning ..... they didn't have the $$$ under the cap to sign him.

How do you know we didn't solve it? Mallet or Savage could be our QB of the future.

Six games in and we've had sh!t for QB play .... bad and worse.

Under those circumstances , a change would be made ..... if the coach thought he had a better option over on the sidelines. So far that hasn't happened.

OB has gone so far as to say he isn't making a change ..... what does that tell you ?!

1) he's a liar.
2) he doesn't have a better option.

Six games in and we've had sh!t for QB play .... bad and worse.

Under those circumstances , a change would be made ..... if the coach thought he had a better option over on the sidelines. So far that hasn't happened.

OB has gone so far as to say he isn't making a change ..... what does that tell you ?!

1) he's a liar.
2) he doesn't have a better option.

A change wouldn't necessarily be made if those circumstances also included the team winning the majority of it's ballgames and going into their most recent game tied atop their division. It's beyond rare that a team would make a change to it's most pivotal position while the team as a whole is by and large succeeding. Changing quarterbacks isn't as ho hum as changing your punt protector or changing your oil.

As for what OB meant when saying he isn't making a change? Maybe he simply meant that at that moment no change was being made. Maybe he just wanted to say whatever would move the q&a along so he could get on with more important things.

Now that we're merely at .500 and not atop the division it seems circumstances have changed and perhaps OB's consideration for who should be behind center has as well. And whether he comes out in the media or not to declare Mallett's day has come, and quite frankly he has no obligation to, Mallett is going to get his shot at some point.

If we're going to see Mallett I'm thinking Steelers or after the bye in week 10. Reason is that although Mallett should be 'ready', he has yet to get a prolonged period of first snaps. Having him start under center for the Steelers or after the bye would give him 1½-2 weeks of vital snaps during training.

Or we see him in the last 3-4 games once playoffs are out of our reach :)

Which also means things COULD BE WORSE! That was the point and it is NOT a Straw Man but a response to those who write as if things COULDN'T get worse.

I don't see how. Explain how much worse production we could get from the qb? He is almost dead last in lots of categories compared to the other 32 starters.

I don't see how. Explain how much worse production we could get from the qb? He is almost dead last in lots of categories compared to the other 32 starters.

Almost.

I don't care if it could get worse... so what. It's not like we're winning any games on the strength of our QB. To win right now, our game plan is to hand the ball off to Arian Foster & hope the defense can keep it close. If the defense can't keep the other team from scoring, we lose.

Our QB is "not losing" the game for us. & that's fine, but we're not going to be doing anything... like going 8-8, or 9-7 & sneaking into the play offs if that is all he is doing.

& that may be ok with some, but I hope like hell it ain't ok with our HC, because if it is, we've got the wrong guy. I can tell you that right now. If OB is sitting there thinking, "Eh... no big deal if we miss the play offs. Next year I'll have more of "my guys" & we'll try to make it then." Then he's the wrong guy.

I don't care if we had a team of has beens & never was out there, he needs to be doing everything he can to win & make the play offs. If he had a team of has beens & never was, I can understand not making the play offs, but I'll never understand not trying.

The team he's got isn't a Super Bowl caliber club, I understand that, & I won't fault him if/when we don't get to the Super Bowl. But... 9-7 got a team to the play offs last season. 8-8 almost got a team to the play offs last season. I'd hate to be sitting here when it's all said & done at 6-10 knowing Fitz cost us two games (not saying that he has yet) & a team we have the tie breaker over (Bills??) get in at 8-8, or they're waiting for a late game to finish to see if they can get in at 8-8. Especially if only four teams on our schedule finish with a winning record.

Which also means things COULD BE WORSE! That was the point and it is NOT a Straw Man but a response to those who write as if things COULDN'T get worse.

Yes it is a straw man and every rookie or first time starter has "could have been worse" than some vet yeoman who could have started instead. There are Fitzpatricks sitting at home on the couch every Sunday waiting for a call if you don't already have one on your team.

They got Mallett to backup Fitzpatrick for one year since they had little confidence in Savage. They will never play Mallett as long as Fitz is healthy. No sense in signing Mallett next year to a big contract, we already have a quarterback that we are grooming to be the starter someday in Savage. Savage should be the #2 right now. These people don't have a clue what they want to do at the quarterback position.

Back