Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Ryan Mallett

Not to disagree with you, I think we're on the same page, but in general, they all make mistakes. Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers... they all make mistakes. It's the big play to mistake ratio that's the difference. They're at least 2:1, maybe even 4:1 big plays to mistake, where Fitz is more like 2:1 mistake to big play.

Yeah , we're on the same page here .... and of course they all make some mistakes. It boils down how many and how detrimental they are .... Because this offense doesn't make many big plays , the margin for error is miniscule compared to more potent offenses.

I bet they're trying to strong-arm him into a long term deal.

I have no idea. I'm not so sure I'd be trying to strong arm an unproven QB into a long term deal if I were Rick Smith .... You have to know your job is on the line after last years 2-14 debacle as well as the poor drafting the past two with special attention paid to the 3rd-4th rounds of 2013 ....Brennan Williams , Sam Montgomery & Trevardo Williams. :smiliepalm:

What about Keenum makes the theory not fly?
Plenty of film on him to make an educated call on.

If he's just a back up, why give anything for him? When was the last time someone traded for a back-up QB to be a back-up QB?

Far as I can remember, it never happened. No way you can justify it. He's the back up.

If he's just a back up, why give anything for him? When was the last time someone traded for a back-up QB to be a back-up QB?

Far as I can remember, it never happened. No way you can justify it. He's the back up.

49ers traded for Colt McCoy last year to be their back-up...IJS :slapfight:

They also traded for Blaine Gabbert to be their backup this year.

And let's not forget about the Raiders trading for Schaub.

The Raiders trading for Schaub was not supposed to be for a backup. There were two backups traded this offseason -Gabbert and brain fart (Travaris Jackson? ). But the overall point is correct. Teams rarely trade for backups and those guys have starting experience. Mallett has zero to recommend him as a backup.

They also traded for Blaine Gabbert to be their backup this year.

Maybe "never" isn't entirely accurate. Still hard for me to believe we traded for a back-up, the same guy we were after since draft day, to Ryan Fitzpatrick (bless his heart).

Maybe "never" isn't entirely accurate. Still hard for me to believe we traded for a back-up, the same guy we were after since draft day, to Ryan Fitzpatrick (bless his heart).

Now you're my grandmother. I liked it better when you were accused of being a priest.

Prediction for the first Mallett START.

Barring an injury or an unexpected string of victories, the optimum Initial Mallett Start would be Sunday, November 30 in a home game following a probable Cincinnati loss and with 5 games left, 4 of which are division games against beatable opponents. This would represent 31% of the season precluding us from giving up the 6th and give us a good look at Mallett after sufficient time to learn the system.

My second choice would be to start him the Cincinnati game, but I'm not sure we really want to expose him to their defense in his first Start.

ps I would not expect him to be more effective at giving us the wins initially, but we might look for evidence of future performance.

Three out of the four players taken after "Phe" were Patrick Willis, Marshawn Lynch, and Darrelle Revis.

Every time I think about that I want to scream. It's like when Casserly traded away from Derrick Johnson and selected Travis Johnson (AKA: The Slug)

I knew Lynch was never going to happen. He had some character issues and knew Bob was never going to draft those guys. But yeah, passed studs for a huge dud.

And TJ over DJ made me furious. Thanks for that salt in the wound.

I knew Lynch was never going to happen. He had some character issues and knew Bob was never going to draft those guys. But yeah, passed studs for a huge dud.

And TJ over DJ made me furious. Thanks for that salt in the wound.

Sorry. I can't let it go. If I ran into Casserly at some kind of event I'd have to bring it up and I'd probably do it in a way that would get me asked to leave.

That "TJ over DJ" thing has pissed me off for so long. The day it happened I just about burst a blood vessel in my head I was so angry. It was just such a stupid thing to do.

The Okoye pick I confess to being just plain confused about. I was in a room full of people (Double Barrel, Vinny, Porky, and some other friends) and we all just looked at each other with this expression like the Jaguar fan guy on our faces. A gigantic, collective "WTF?"

So much fun reminiscing.

You are right, things COULD get worse with a different QB. The main point however is that, we DON'T KNOW that they could. I rather take a chance with an unknown then continuing to roll the die on someone I KNOW sucks balls.

Right, You the fan don't know...but BoB...you know that guy that sees all 3 of the qbs in practice...he probably has a damn good idea..and at the moment he believes that things could be worse. Don't like our 1st qtr. woes? imagine potentially seeing that for an entire game with Mallet or Savage at the helm...for 10 more weeks no less.

All this "we" is fans talking.

Right, You the fan don't know...but BoB...you know that guy that sees all 3 of the qbs in practice...he probably has a damn good idea..and at the moment he believes that things could be worse. Don't like our 1st qtr. woes? imagine potentially seeing that for an entire game with Mallet or Savage at the helm...for 10 more weeks no less.

You think BoB predicted that Fitz looked like hot garbage in the 1st half as well? Sure, he might prefer Fitz, but he just lost one (if not two) games to coaching mistakes.

I'm not sure his 'Eye Test' isn't myopic.

Honestly, that's a risk I am willing to take as a fan in terms of future success. I want to know as a fan, if we are expecting to draft a QB before it's too late. You are right though. Ultimately OB knows more than any of us. Doesn't make it easier watching us trot out Shitzpatrick though.

You think BoB predicted that Fitz looked like hot garbage in the 1st half as well? Sure, he might prefer Fitz, but he just lost one (if not two) games to coaching mistakes.

I'm not sure his 'Eye Test' isn't myopic.

No, but if he's too conservative with his playcalling b/c he's trying to prevent Fitz from shitting the bed early in games, How do you think he's gonna handle a guy who hasn't ever started a game in his 4 year career or a guy who hasn't even been in the league for a full year?

His eye test is only myopic if he does exactly what you guys want him to do which is go away from his current best option and throw potential franchise guys to the wolves so early in the season. In that regard you could say he's throwing the season away as well...And i'm not sure that's the message you want to send to your team 7 games in with a .500 record.

You guys are acting like Fitz has been out there looking like Gabbert. There is really only 1 game you can solely blame him for..the rest have been team losses where a number of things happened that could've turned the game in our favor.

You guys can't have it both ways. You either want the best chance to win as many games as you can now.....which is with (Fitz)..... or you want to see what you have for the future which statisically speaking point to the fact that you're probably not going to win with whichever option, Mallett or Savage BoB trots out there. There's a small chance that we could win with 1 of those young guys and get both of our goals accomplished...but there's also a small chance we could win with Fitz too. You guys have to know that.

You guys can't have it both ways. You either want the best chance to win as many games as you can now.....which is with (Fitz).....

It's just hard for me to believe Fitz gives us the best chance to win, when he trots him out there with a gameplan you'd use to protect a rookie or a first time starter.

Like I said in another thread though... Maybe OB's taken the entire team back to square one, & thinks they'll progress faster with the salty dawg under center. Maybe.

You guys are acting like Fitz has been out there looking like Gabbert. There is really only 1 game you can solely blame him for..the rest have been team losses where a number of things happened that could've turned the game in our favor.
Hardly a resounding endorsement there. :kitten:

Right now, I'd settle for a guy who knows how to hand-off, sell a play fake and can complete short-intermediate routes with regularity. I haven't seen that guy under center this year.

Hardly a resounding endorsement there. :kitten:

Right now, I'd settle for a guy who knows how to hand-off, sell a play fake and can complete short-intermediate routes with regularity. I haven't seen that guy under center this year.

Every starting qb in the league will have at least 1-2 games a year where they don't play well...it's just with guys limited in talent like Fitz, that error margin is right on the cusp of being an average game managing qb to a flat out bad qb.

BoB is on record saying that he had to adjust how he was calling plays in NE his 1st year there b/c the offense wasn't really clicking like it needed to. I suspect that he's at that point now with our offense.

I watched the philly game and I kept thinking that mallett could play a lot like foles, both tall and limited mobility, but because of their height can scan the field and deliver to the open receiver.

I watched the philly game and I kept thinking that mallett could play a lot like foles, both tall and limited mobility, but because of their height can scan the field and deliver to the open receiver.

That's really the question. Lot of folks saying Mallet would get killed behind our line. I don't know. If he can read a defense before & after the snap, he'd probably get the ball out quicker than ol double clutch.

Watching 25-year-old Austin Davis, an undrafted 25-year-old quarterback who's only 6'2 and 221. He's playing out of his mind right now for the Rams as a guy with zero experience since starting Week 2.

Makes me wonder if Ryan Mallett, who's only one year older and has legitimate NFL QB size at 6'6 and 250 pounds, couldn't spark our offense the same way Austin Davis is. What's the risk in seeing? Is Ryan Fitzpatrick playing that well?

I would start Ryan Mallett at Pittsburgh next Monday Night. Let's introduce him to the NFL world.

Watching 25-year-old Austin Davis, an undrafted 25-year-old quarterback who's only 6'2 and 221. He's playing out of his mind right now for the Rams as a guy with zero experience since starting Week 2.

Makes me wonder if Ryan Mallett, who's only one year older and has legitimate NFL QB size at 6'6 and 250 pounds, couldn't spark our offense the same way Austin Davis is. What's the risk in seeing? Is Ryan Fitzpatrick playing that well?

I would start Ryan Mallett at Pittsburgh next Monday Night. Let's introduce him to the NFL world.

NOOOOOO. We are winning right now. We are 3-3 vs teams with a combined record of 4-14. How dare you suggest something that may hurt us. You disappoint me. :kitten:

NOOOOOO. We are winning right now. We are 3-3 vs teams with a combined record of 4-14. How dare you suggest something that may hurt us. You disappoint me. :kitten:
I believe the Texans will go into the bye week with a 6-3 record. We can beat the Steelers, Titans (both on road) and Eagles at home with Ryan Fitzpatrick starting. Because I believe our defense and run game will dominate. But long term wise Fitzpatrick isn't our guy. Ryan Mallett is in the prime of his career and can actually play four or five more years. Maybe longer.

watching this rams offense as a Texans fan is just depressing. our offense is so boring, old, and slow compared to the rams. wish we had a burner like tavon Austin.

I'm not even sure Austin Davis is any good. The 49ers defense did a better job on that last drive making him look like an undrafted third-stringer. But he's already lifted the Rams to a 14-0 lead.

I guess Case Keenum lit it up against the Colts for a half last year. 21-3 lead with three TD passes to Andre Johnson. It can happen. How good is that quarterback once defenses have several game tapes of him and adjust?

It's difficult finding a franchise quarterback. If we can make Ryan Fitzpatrick ten years younger I'd love to go to war for him every game but he's old already and he wasn't that good even then.

I believe the Texans will go into the bye week with a 6-3 record. We can beat the Steelers, Titans (both on road) and Eagles at home with Ryan Fitzpatrick starting. Because I believe our defense and run game will dominate. But long term wise Fitzpatrick isn't our guy. Ryan Mallett is in the prime of his career and can actually play four or five more years. Maybe longer.

While I love your optimism. You are setting yourself up for HUGE disapointment. The Texans arent that good. This is a 6-10 to 8-8 team.

Texans will go 11-5 or 10-6. And I could be wrong. They may go 12-4. The only game I see us losing the rest of the way is the road game at Indianapolis. We just played the two toughest games on our schedule featuring two of the best offenses in the league.

We nearly pulled both games out despite falling behind 17-7 and 24-0. We have Jadeveon Clowney coming back. We should be able to hold other teams without as many Touchdowns. Our offense seems good enough to win some of these games if our defense and running game dominate. No reason to think they can't. Arian Foster has been a beast again and Clowney even at 70 % is still a pro bowl talent. Way better than Whitney Mercilus.

Texans will go 11-5 or 10-6. And I could be wrong. They may go 12-4. The only game I see us losing the rest of the way is the road game at Indianapolis. We just played the two toughest games on our schedule featuring two of the best offenses in the league.

We nearly pulled both games out despite falling behind 17-7 and 24-0. We have Jadeveon Clowney coming back. We should be able to hold other teams without as many Touchdowns. Our offense seems good enough to win some of these games if our defense and running game dominate. No reason to think they can't. Arian Foster has been a beast again and Clowney even at 70 % is still a pro bowl talent. Way better than Whitney Mercilus.

My thought is this:

While I don’t share his enthusiasm, you know me. Beam me up, Scotty!

~Rockhound, Armegeddon

Wow.. Yea.. no they arent. 12-4? LOL You are a trip or are on a trip. Neither one of those games were really that close. The Texans are also an incredible JJ WATT play from losing to the Bills. That stuff doesnt happen alot. The Texans offense averages 18 points a game. That is good for about 27th in the league. The yardage per game is also 27th in the league. The Texans are staying in games with turnovers. The defense isnt as good as you think it is. JD Clowney coming back is a mystery. No one, not even you knows what it will do or whether he will help that much. Even with Clowney back this isnt a shutdown defense. Its not a top defense. They give up too many yards. You cant do that. Over the course of a season it will bite you. The offense doesnt sustain enough drives and on and on...

This is a 6 to 8 win team. The Texans havent played the best team on its schedule yet. Bengals, Eagles and Ravens might have something to say about that best team deal. The Colts may be the best team, but the really good teams arent off the schedule yet. The Browns can get ya and winning division games is always trouble.

If, as you believe, we get to the bye week with a 6-3 record why on Earth would O'Brien change out a QB who's riding a 3-game winning streak.
Coaches don't mess with what they perceive to be working.

I have nothing relevant to add to this thread.

STOP-Hammer-Time_c_119882.jpg

If, as you believe, we get to the bye week with a 6-3 record why on Earth would O'Brien change out a QB who's riding a 3-game winning streak.
Coaches don't mess with what they perceive to be working.

What was the 49ers record when they made the switch to Kaepernick? I know there was an injury thing that made it all happen, but Harbaugh knew there was a difference. & while Smith was riding a winning streak of his own (that included an NFC Championship game) he made the change.

I think you're right, most likely OB is going to wait until Mallet can "naturally" get into the game, then make his decision based on what he sees... but if Fitz plays like he did through our first three games, I wouldn't be surprised to see a change despite a winning record.

What was the 49ers record when they made the switch to Kaepernick? I know there was an injury thing that made it all happen, but Harbaugh knew there was a difference. & while Smith was riding a winning streak of his own (that included an NFC Championship game) he made the change.

I think you're right, most likely OB is going to wait until Mallet can "naturally" get into the game, then make his decision based on what he sees... but if Fitz plays like he did through our first three games, I wouldn't be surprised to see a change despite a winning record.
1.) Smith was out with concussion thus necessitating a change in the first half of the Rams game (Smith was 7 of 8 for 72 yds and a TD when he got knocked out of the game).
2.) The "winning streak" you mentioned was all of two games. Full disclosure - their record at the time was 6-2. They tied the Rams game.
3.) Harbaugh "inherited" Smith so wasn't really invested in him anyway. And maybe you're right, Smith had reached his "ceiling" and Harbaugh took the opportunity to see what he had with his hand picked boy Kaepernick.
4.) Harbaugh had the perfect situation in which to insert a young QB; strong defense, solid running attack, and offense already built around safe passing. In other words, IMHO, it really wasn't that big of a risk.
5.) Do we think Mallet = Kaepernick? or Savage = Kaepernick?
Orrrrr...
are we thinking (hoping??) that Mallet or Savage > Fitzpatrick

The Niners were 6-2 when Kaepernick took over for the injured Smith. They finished 11-4-1 and went to the Super Bowl (losing to the Ravens by 3).

We do not have a Smith/Kaepernick situation here. We have a drowning offense looking for any QB that can keep it afloat.

The Niners were 6-2 when Kaepernick took over for the injured Smith. They finished 11-4-1 and went to the Super Bowl (losing to the Ravens by 3).

We do not have a Smith/Kaepernick situation here. We have a drowning offense looking for any QB that can keep it afloat.

Hey, I'm on your side. My point was that even though the 49ers were winning, Harbaugh knew he didn't have a QB he could win a Super Bowl with.

As it relates to our situation, surely OB can tell his QB leaves something lacking, & a winning season is an uphill battle with the guy who's never been on a team with a winning record, much less led a team to a winning record.

We're .500 now, makes no sense to wait until we're below .500 to do what you know needs to be done. & if you wind up below .500 with one of the other two, or a combination of all three, so be it. You weren't going to be above .500 with the guy that's starting now.

Hey, I'm on your side. My point was that even though the 49ers were winning, Harbaugh knew he didn't have a QB he could win a Super Bowl with.

As it relates to our situation, surely OB can tell his QB leaves something lacking, & a winning season is an uphill battle with the guy who's never been on a team with a winning record, much less led a team to a winning record.

We're .500 now, makes no sense to wait until we're below .500 to do what you know needs to be done. & if you wind up below .500 with one of the other two, or a combination of all three, so be it. You weren't going to be above .500 with the guy that's starting now.

:clap:

But O'Brien says if all the other guys step up and do their jobs we can win with Fitz.

“He’s our starter,” O’Brien said. “The film never lies. What the film shows us is that everybody on the offense has to play better. The line has to play better. The backs have to play better. The tight ends. The receivers. We’ve got to coach better. We’ve got to get the players to understand what we want. When we do that, all the positions will (play) better, including quarterback.

How could the RB's play better? Arian is on pace for a career year. TE's? How about Bob employ them. I agree with the poor offensive line play. I find his comments a little too patronizing for me at times.

TE's? How about Bob employ them.

They forgot how to get open .... after catching 92 balls last season from a broken down Schaub & Case Keenum , the guy who Fitz beat out for the starting job.

They have a total of 13 catches this season.

Main reason I believe is that they don't run routes that put them in favorable matchups Vs smaller safeties over the middle of the field - Everything is short routes that break towards the sidelines , generally covered by an LBer who matches up much better.

Thanks corrosion. I haven't really followed the TE's I didn't know if hey had to stay in or block or what the heck was going on

How could the RB's play better? Arian is on pace for a career year. TE's? How about Bob employ them. I agree with the poor offensive line play. I find his comments a little too patronizing for me at times.

He might be a little more wordy, but basically all he says is, "It's on me."

Back