Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Official Brock Osweiler MVP Watch Thread!

Oh... guys... we gotta make a pact to never never ever start any more of these damn MVP threads. Friggin jinx I tell you. Please... never again. Blood oath, okay? Pretty please?

I'm going to try not to defend Brock much this offseason. I know he's going to catch a lot of crap over the next few months.

But with that attitude, you're just going to be disappointed when the season starts in September.

But Tome Brady made a lot of mistakes tonight & he is the greatest of all time (arguably). The biggest difference is that he also made big plays that helped his team.

Brock made two. The 18 yard run. & the TD pass Fuller dropped. Not enough.

Still, 34-16 is more about this team than it is Brock Osweiler. The line opened at 16 & didn't move.
The line did move up to 17 at many major betting establishments.

As if 16 is not big enough.
I told my friend, I'm not taking the points.
I never bet against the Texans, but NO, I wouldn't take the points.

Reactions: ROO
Oh... guys... we gotta make a pact to never never ever start any more of these damn MVP threads. Friggin jinx I tell you. Please... never again. Blood oath, okay? Pretty please?
There were two threads.
Mine started first (that's why it shows me as the OP), but my thread title read " Osweiler, color me skeptical ".

One of the Mods thought it's cute to keep the title of the other thread when he merged the two together.

:bat::brando:

Last edited:
There were two threads.
Mine started first (that's why it shows me as the OP), but my thread title read " Osweiler, color me skeptical ".
I did not realize the threads got merged. I do remember your "skeptical" thread. Hey, you called that one:thumbup

So was it EllisUnit that started the MVP thread? Seems it was if my memory holds. EU, please don't do this sh!t again! Please?!

Oh... damn moderators LOL!

I did not realize the threads got merged. I do remember your "skeptical" thread. Hey, you called that one:thumbup

So was it EllisUnit that started the MVP thread? Seems it was if my memory holds. EU, please don't do this sh!t again! Please?!

I don't remember who it was, as I didn't mind.
It's a free country, and people need hope.
Ah well.
As somebody had said "Hope is not a strategy".

Reactions: Max
Serious question.

Has there ever been a bigger bust dollar for dollar than Brock Lossweiler?

I've been trying to think of one and no one comes close.
Probably not. Signing Brock is hands down an absolute failure.

Ed reed Texans
Ahman green Texans
Robaire smith Texans
Todd wade Texans

I'm no algorithmist but I'm starting to detect a trend.

Probably not. Signing Brock is hands down an absolute failure.

Ed reed Texans
Ahman green Texans
Robaire smith Texans
Todd wade Texans

I'm no algorithmist but I'm starting to detect a trend.

God what a miserable list. Dont forget philip Buchanan.

whoever started this thread is a complete idiot and moreon. i dont like to take cheap shots on a message board, but we are all dumber for even entertaining this guys original post.

so it was ellisunit who started this thread. anytime i see that guy post from now on, i will remember this thread. 0 credibility from here on out.

moron greenwood. didnt he get 5 yrs 25mil? supposed to be a budding star. my arse he was.

Did you ever hear his songs? Coulda been a soundtrack for oz's int highlight reel.

I forgot about weaver.

Worst draft picks...?

Okoye. Travis johnson. Nix. Ragone. Montgomery. Who was the cb - a coaches son that lasted maybe 2 seasons? Im thinking he was a 2nd round pick outta miami?

Brandon Harrison is the cb im thinking of.

How can we forget tony hollings in the supplemental draft 2nd round?

Brennan williams ot 3rd round.

Antwan molden cb 3rd round.

Devier posey wr 3rd round.

Disaster after disaster. I could keep going but we've only had a limited number of picks in our short history. Reciting this list of trash along with our free agent acquisitions makes me wonder how we've ever had a winning season.

whoever started this thread is a complete idiot and moreon. i dont like to take cheap shots on a message board, but we are all dumber for even entertaining this guys original post.

Yeah, what a moreon. I think he's the only guy on this board to make a wrong statement. He who is without sin .................

Personally, I'll take the poster who climbs the limb as opposed to the one who lops it off, only after all is said and done.

I'll stand again in saying I was glad we got Osweiler. We took a chance and showed initiative on what could have been a superstar. We just didn't know. I was wrong, at least, I am so far. What a moreon I am.

Lighten up, we're all friends. '76 has shown humor at the thread after the fact. Problem?

Yup. Glad we took a shot. Wish it wouldn't have costed so much - and i think 76 knows this is the worst thread title ever.

I'm going to try not to defend Brock much this offseason. I know he's going to catch a lot of crap over the next few months.

But with that attitude, you're just going to be disappointed when the season starts in September.

But Tome Brady made a lot of mistakes tonight & he is the greatest of all time (arguably). The biggest difference is that he also made big plays that helped his team.

Brock made two. The 18 yard run. & the TD pass Fuller dropped. Not enough.

Still, 34-16 is more about this team than it is Brock Osweiler. The line opened at 16 & didn't move.
Sorry, but this game would have turned out different if we had a capable Qb. There is no doubt in my mind.

Brandon Harrison is the cb im thinking of.

How can we forget tony hollings in the supplemental draft 2nd round?

Brennan williams ot 3rd round.

Antwan molden cb 3rd round.

Devier posey wr 3rd round.

Disaster after disaster. I could keep going but we've only had a limited number of picks in our short history. Reciting this list of trash along with our free agent acquisitions makes me wonder how we've ever had a winning season.

I seem to remember cursing the name Petey Faggins.

Sorry, but this game would have turned out different if we had a capable Qb. There is no doubt in my mind.

I don't deny that.

It would have been a different game if we had a speed receiver who could catch, a possession reliever who could get open, an explosive RB, or a capable QB.

This is a Plead to the Mods. = Please delete this thread. I can't stand seeing this everytime I come here. Have mercy on us,

Spoilered for size....

1024x1024.jpg

1024x1024.jpg

:lol:

Osweiler and next year's offensive coordinator have a history together. That's good news, with Godsey being gone and all.

maybe we could start a thread "Vrabel Rookie Coach of the Year 2017"

Serious question.

Has there ever been a bigger bust dollar for dollar than Brock Lossweiler?

I've been trying to think of one and no one comes close.
Hmmmm...JaMarcus Russell comes close but only got $31M guaranteed, I wonder what that would be in "today's dollars".

Maybe not MVP, but Brock Osweiler is part of the Pro Bowl skills challenge! Woohoo!

NFL Skills Showdown Features WRs Trying To Catch Osweiler’s Passes

The Pro Bowl’s new Skills Showdown has earned rave reviews for its varied and entertaining challenges.

However, one challenge was unpopular with Pro Bowl receivers due to its extreme degree of difficulty: a competition in which wide receivers attempted to catch passes thrown by Brock Osweiler.

“Listen, I know this is all for fun,” said Odell Beckham Jr. “But are they trying to make us look like fools out there? You’ve got to be damn near superhuman to catch this dude’s inaccurate and wobbly passes."

Pro Bowl Cornerback Terence Newman, after watching the challenge, remarked "Damn, I would have had 7 or 8 interceptions if we had played the Texans."

Complete story here: https://thekicker.com/tough-nfl-skills-showdown-features-wrs-trying-to-catch-osweilers-passes/

probowlchallenge3-900x505.jpg

Last edited:
Owen Daniels says Texans' Brock Osweiler will be better
Former tight end Owen Daniels said the Brock Osweiler he watched with the Texans this season was not the same Osweiler who was his teammate with the Denver Broncos in 2015.

Daniels, who played his first eight seasons with the Texans and one each with Baltimore and Denver, where he won a Super Bowl ring with Osweiler, said the quarterback didn't seem to play with the same confidence or seem as comfortable in his new system.

"When I was watching (Texans) games this year, it didn't look like the same guy," said Daniels, who is retired and residing in Houston. "It's just weird.

"I know sometimes there's a transition period, a learning curve with certain offenses, like being in that (Texans) type of complicated offense for one year, I can see why he'd struggle a little
Daniels has a message for Texans fans.

"If they respect my opinion at all about sports or football, Brock's going to be all right," he said. "You've got him for another year. He's going to do everything in his power to have a better feel for things and be in a better place next season.

"What I know about him, football means a lot to him. His teammates mean a lot to him. He's going to put in the work and do everything to be better.

"I don't have any advice for him other than don't listen (to criticism from fans and media), keep your head down and go to work."

.http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/...-be-better-10893796.php?cmpid=twitter-desktop
You think Owen knows what he's talking about ?

I have not entirely given up on Osweiler. But one of the major questions you have to ask yourself at this point is how do you realistically address his WTF accuracy problems..........and even if he makes a huge leap next year from this year's 31 NFL QB ranking, how far up the ladder can he realistically be expected climb?

I have not entirely given up on Osweiler. But one of the major questions you have to ask yourself at this point is how do you realistically address his WTF accuracy problems..........and even if he makes a huge leap next year from this year's 31 NFL QB ranking, how far up the ladder can he realistically be expected climb?

It depends.

If you think everything that went wrong on offense was his fault, I wouldn't expect too much of an improvement.

If you think a lot, but not all was on him, then I'd expect him to be able to improve to the average guy who won't screw us over we thought he would be.

If you think the receivers, OL, RB blitz pickups, & OC were just as much to blame, I wouldn't be surprised to see game manager plus type performance.

Personally I feel he may prove to not be the dismal failure most think he is, but I don't think he'll earn the $21M (or whatever) salary for 2018.

Actually yes. OD is smarter than your average football player. Lots of folks around here have given up on Oz. I bet we see him next season and he makes significant progress. That is if OB is a halfway decent coach which is as big a question mark as why Oz regressed this season.

Kind of like what CND said, it's the accuracy issues that concern me. If it were all about bad decisions, of which he made his fair share, I'd be more optimistic. But when he's missing easy throws and is consistently not seeing guys come open, it's alot more concerning. A halfway decent coach, or even a great coach, can't fix some of the issues some guys have. I think it's unrealistic to suggest that if Brock doesn't make significant progress, OB is not even a halfway decent coach. OB can't make the intermediate open throws for him.

Kind of like what CND said, it's the accuracy issues that concern me. If it were all about bad decisions, of which he made his fair share, I'd be more optimistic. But when he's missing easy throws and is consistently not seeing guys come open, it's alot more concerning. A halfway decent coach, or even a great coach, can't fix some of the issues some guys have. I think it's unrealistic to suggest that if Brock doesn't make significant progress, OB is not even a halfway decent coach. OB can't make the intermediate open throws for him.

Kubiak had Oz throwing at a higher % with a higher rate of TDs, lower INTs, and a much better Y/A. But we'll see.

True, but he also fumbled and was sacked at a much higher rate with Kubiak. Sacks should factor into completion percentage in some way.

That sounds as if you are putting the sacks on Oz. Some would say that shows Oz performed better under worse conditions with Kubiak (not the fumbles obviously).

Actually yes. OD is smarter than your average football player. Lots of folks around here have given up on Oz. I bet we see him next season and he makes significant progress. That is if OB is a halfway decent coach which is as big a question mark as why Oz regressed this season.
That's encouraging you say that and I hope you are right, so maybe there's still some hope for Brock.
Say where you been keeping yourself infantrycak, you aren't around as much lately ? You are usually chewing my azz out when I screw up with my spelling or grammar, now got nobody to keep me straight on such things.

Reactions: ROO
That sounds as if you are putting the sacks on Oz. Some would say that shows Oz performed better under worse conditions with Kubiak (not the fumbles obviously).

I'm not saying anything about who's at fault for the sacks. I'm saying if you were to assume the next best thing happens instead of a sack, a throwaway, then they'd be considered incompletions and would drive down the completion percentage and Y/A. One possible explanation, although I didn't watch Brock in Denver much and can't say whether or not it's true, is that Brock got better at throwing the ball away. Could be that he threw some into defenders and had more interceptions. I'm not really sure. It'd be interesting to compare his pressures (rate of pressures) over the two years.

His QB Rating was actually higher in 2016, and I'm sure part of that has to do with sacks and fumbles per play.

Last edited:
It's possible OD could be wrong too. Even Vince Lombardi was wrong once....probably.

The thing that concerns me about ODs comments is that Os didn't seem to improve as the season went along. I get taking your lumps learning a new system and all, but should it at least look like at some point that you're getting it down?

If Brock starts out of the gate next season, how much rope does he get? 4, 6, 8 games?

Reactions: Max
It's possible OD could be wrong too. Even Vince Lombardi was wrong once....probably.

The thing that concerns me about ODs comments is that Os didn't seem to improve as the season went along. I get taking your lumps learning a new system and all, but should it at least look like at some point that you're getting it down?

If Brock starts out of the gate next season, how much rope does he get? 4, 6, 8 games?

It's hard to put a real timetable on my opinion on that. I think he most likely will be the starter going into week 1, even if we were to draft a QB in the 1st round. His leash would depend on how well the team is doing under him. I think it's pretty hard to bench a guy that is a part of winning games and isn't committing a ton of turnovers. I think that was some of what happened this past season. I was actually surprised to see him benched and that led me to believe that OB wasn't pleased with how Brock was playing. That sounds a bit simple and obvious, but it's still good to feel that the coach is grading the QB, even when the team is winning, and is willing to make a huge change on a winning team.

Reiterating what I have said previously, I think the division is going to be tough next year. So, I would imagine that wins will be more difficult to come by and if Brock plays as he did this past season, we won't be winning as many games. So, in short, I think his leash won't very long next year.

Going back to what cak said, I think there is opportunity for improvement on some levels with Brock. He does seem to be a worker, it isn't as if he's what we perceived David Carr to be (lazy). I think he'll work to improve to the best of his ability. I'd love to see him turn it around and go on a mission to prove that he not only belongs, but can be one of the top guys at his position. I just don't see it. I think there are alot of difficulties in his game that are hard to mask or correct.

My assumptions:

*BOB wants to stay off of the qb carousel we've been on for a while.
*When BOB benched Brock he was going to stick w/ Savage and give him the same opportunity as Brock to demonstrate that he was the guy or prove otherwise.
*Savage didn't finish the year after cleared from concussion protocol because BOB didn't feel comfortable going into the playoffs w/ Savage having so little prep (but Savage would have played these games if not injured).
*Savage would be the undisputed starter next year if he had not been injured.

If all of these assumptions are true (big if), then I think BOB starts Savage next year having seen what Os can do. I don't think he would have benched Brock if this wasn't his intention.

If Brock does start, I still think BOB wants to stay away from the carousel and he'll probably give him at least another 6-8 games to demonstrate if he's progressing. Personally, I'm hoping to be spared the agony and see Savage or someone other than Brock.

Back