Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Official Brock Osweiler MVP Watch Thread!

I would cut Osweiler and let the Browns pick him up. It would be hilarious watching Osweiler trying to throw on the shores of Lake Erie in December with an offensive line (save Joe Thomas) that couldn't protect him.

Sending a QB to play in Cleveland in the winter for the pathetic Browns and getting laid out on the frozen ground can be considered cruel punishment.

Last edited:
I would cut Osweiler and let the Browns pick him up. It would be hilarious watching Osweiler trying to throw on the shores of Lake Erie in December with an offensive line (save Joe Thomas) that couldn't protect him.

Sending a QB to play in Cleveland in the winter for the pathetic Browns and getting laid out on the frozen ground can be considered cruel punishment.
Unconstitutional. The Eighth Amendment specifically sites being traded to Cleveland as "Cruel & Inhumane Punishment"

Revealing. This may restore some of my confidence in O'Brien.

I normally would not post the entire story, but every word of this needs to be processed and understood, especially the line in red.

Bill O'Brien could have lost Texans locker room had he stuck with Brock Osweiler

Texans coach Bill O'Brien faced a significant locker room backlash had he not named Tom Savage his starting QB after Sunday's performance, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. Texans players had gone from being lukewarm about the continued struggles of former starter Brock Osweiler to, in the case of some, privately championing Savage with their playoff hopes on the line.

Osweiler was falling out of favor and frustration was high over his inability to move the offense, particularly his inability to cultivate anything downfield with impact receiver DeAndre Hopkins (wilting away in his contract year) and rookie speedster Will Fuller. That, coupled with issues reading the field and accumulating turnovers (tied for second in the NFL with 16 interceptions), left many players eager to see what Savage, a fourth-round pick in 2014, could do. Sticking with Osweiler would have risked alienating the other players, the sources said.

In reality, O'Brien may have made the move earlier if not for Savage's elbow injury, with the quarterback missing several weeks of practice. The coaching staff has been high on him for years, and he has a better knowledge of the offense and a bigger arm than Osweiler. Osweiler was pursued heavily by ownership with the coaching staff having a minimal role, sources said, and even with him due $37 million guaranteed through the 2017 season, the decision to go to Savage was highly popular in the locker room.

Savage provided a spark upon entering the game after two early interceptions from Osweiler, and there was more energy in the huddle and better pace from the long-suffering offense. It culminated in a comeback win over Jacksonville that kept Houston atop the AFC South, with the Titans and Colts still in the hunt. The Texans are fifth-worst in the NFL in offensive points scored with 234, well below the league average of 301 points.

Link

Click the link to give the source their ad revenue.

With these new facts, consider: 1) Osweiler was apparently Smith/McNair's idea, 2) It's McNair's $37 million, 3) Coaches (and we can assume O'Brien) have favored Savage for "years," 4) It required locker room solidarity to get Savage on the field, and 5) McNair stated the same day that putting Savage out there was a "gutsy" move by a coach.

This all begs these questions: How committed was O'Brien to acquiring and starting Osweiler from the beginning? Savage was his pick. Was overriding the coach's preference due to a rift created by the Hoyer/Mallett decision making?

I'm seeing evidence of discord caused by GM/owner decisions, which affects everything down to the play calling. I don't fault McNair for swinging for the fences on Osweiler, but it'll be relieving to know why Osweiler was favored over Savage, and if caoch/GM/owner can get back on the same page.

Last edited:
Revealing. This may restore some of my confidence in O'Brien.

Not for me.

Fine, the coach favors Savage. but more often than not you can't pick a franchise QB out of a line up if you tried.

Part of getting lucky is maximizing every opportunity. I'm not saying O'Brien sabotaged Osweiler (or Mallett for that matter). But he didn't make it easy the way coaches normally make it easy on their young QBs.

I hope he can make Savage a franchise QB, if this is true.

First, how surprising would it be if the source was conveniently from the coaching staff? Had Osweiler been successful, would there be a story that the coaching staff was against the signing? And while turning to Savage was the right (only?) call, this hasn't solved all of the problems on offense. Ownership isnt coaching or designing the offense, are they?

First, how surprising would it be if the source was conveniently from the coaching staff? Had Osweiler been successful, would there be a story that the coaching staff was against the signing? And while turning to Savage was the right (only?) call, this hasn't solved all of the problems on offense. Ownership isnt coaching or designing the offense, are they?

No ownership isn't.

But ownership/Smith are continuing a trend.

Many posters have stated over the years that it is unfair to judge a (Texans) player until he's been in the league (and playing) for three years. I don't agree with that, but it does mean this thread still has a lot of life in it.

MVP! MVP!

Why hasn't this thread been retired already?
37773845.jpg

you heard it here first. bill is going to rest savage this week. osweiler plays the whole game and tears up the titans secondary for 275 and 3 tds. then everyone will be clamoring to start him against the chiefs. then he has a flacco like run and tears it up in the playoffs.

you heard it here first. bill is going to rest savage this week. osweiler plays the whole game and tears up the titans secondary for 275 and 3 tds. then everyone will be clamoring to start him against the chiefs. then he has a flacco like run and tears it up in the playoffs.

That stuff, was it expensive? If not I could use some

Did you forget to include the part where he throws 4 interceptions and fumbles twice?

170 yards and 1 TD. Slightly less prolific than your premonition but then again he didn't play the entire game.

But at there's still the rest of the playoffs left where morph into joe Montana.

170 yards and 1 TD. Slightly less prolific than your premonition but then again he didn't play the entire game.

But at there's still the rest of the playoffs left where morph into joe Montana.

Ridiculous. But I would love it if it happened. lol

Maybe 2016 Joe Montana....

On second thought I think 60 year old Montana could out play BO....

Sarah Barshop ‏@sarahbarshop 53m53 minutes ago

The Texans scored multiple offensive touchdowns in just 8 of 16 games this season. Somehow they're in the playoffs.

That's one big reason why Weeden should be starting.

What's the definition of insanity? Paying a QB $72 million to lead his team to one touchdown a game, all the while not even dressing a better QB who can hit a WR in stride with the ball 60 yards in the air.

Reactions: ROO

What's the definition of insanity? Paying a QB $72 million to lead his team to one touchdown a game, all the while not even dressing a better QB who can hit a WR in stride with the ball 60 yards in the air.

This season just doesn't make sense to me. There's a lot of pontificating on where the responsibility lies. Which one is closest to being accurate, I don't know. With Savage on percussion protocol, Weeden should be in there. For all those who poke fun at your consistent support for him, how many of them actually support Oz as being the starter to lead the team to playoff wins? We have only two choices. How many actually prefer Oz starting over Weeden?

This season just doesn't make sense to me. There's a lot of pontificating on where the responsibility lies. Which one is closest to being accurate, I don't know. With Savage on percussion protocol, Weeden should be in there. For all those who poke fun at your consistent support for him, how many of them actually support Oz as being the starter to lead the team to playoff wins? We have only two choices. How many actually prefer Oz starting over Weeden?

I agree. Some people on this board make fun of me for stating my opinion that Weeden is the best QB on this team, yet they moan about Osweiler all day long.

I used to make fun of Byron Leftwich cartoon windup. Karma is paying me back now with Os

Edited because i put the wrong QB name :thud:

Last edited:
I dont ever want to see this piece of **** under center again!!!!

I'm going to try not to defend Brock much this offseason. I know he's going to catch a lot of crap over the next few months.

But with that attitude, you're just going to be disappointed when the season starts in September.

But Tome Brady made a lot of mistakes tonight & he is the greatest of all time (arguably). The biggest difference is that he also made big plays that helped his team.

Brock made two. The 18 yard run. & the TD pass Fuller dropped. Not enough.

Still, 34-16 is more about this team than it is Brock Osweiler. The line opened at 16 & didn't move.

Tom made mistakes but he also dropped dimes on some throws. He put up 27 on the "#1 defense"our defense played good, just their MVP(brock) had to upstage them

Serious question.

Has there ever been a bigger bust dollar for dollar than Brock Lossweiler?

I've been trying to think of one and no one comes close.

Os should be drawn and quartered.

On second thought never mind. That big goofy bastard is like 7 feet tall. It would take forever.

Just get him out of my sight.

Serious question.

Has there ever been a bigger bust dollar for dollar than Brock Lossweiler?

I've been trying to think of one and no one comes close.

Brock is the worst free agent signing in NFL history. There are two reasons for this: one, the money; two, the Texans had the best defense in the NFL and it went to waste because of the inept Osweiler.

While I don't think that Oz will get the MVP, I will predict that this thread is going to have a much much much better ending than Marshal's "Hoyer Fan Club" thread from last year.

Well, it pretty much ended the exact same way as the thread from last year after all. :choke:

Back