Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Official Brock Osweiler MVP Watch Thread!

I'm watching the game again now. just got through three qtrs. looks like a pretty good game. Both defenses playing hard. Even though Brock has thrown an INT & Miller fumbled the ball, it's 14-7 San Diego with us in the Red Zone as the 3rd Qtr runs out.

Brock hasn't looked terribly bad yet.

“I feel like we’re very close to exploding as an offense,” Osweiler said, via ESPN.com. “We are three, four plays away from changing multiple football games. Because of that, I don’t think we can get discouraged. … We’re tired of being close. We really are, as a team. We’re all able to see it on the film. We see it on the film every single week that we’re so close to turning that corner.”

“I feel like we’re very close to exploding as an offense,” Osweiler said, via ESPN.com. “We are three, four plays away from changing multiple football games. Because of that, I don’t think we can get discouraged. … We’re tired of being close. We really are, as a team. We’re all able to see it on the film. We see it on the film every single week that we’re so close to turning that corner.”

I want to throw up

I just can't listen to his shtick anymore....

You have to have a confidant QB... I just hope the rest of the team feels that way also

I'm seeing very similar things myself, but as I don't really know what's "supposed" to happen, I'm more "hoping" than anything.

I've mentioned several times where I see two or more receivers in the same spot, or they're drawing all the Defenders to the same area... if just one of those guys had broken their route off differently, it would make more sense.

so if I'm the QB & I'm expecting the route concepts to challenge the defense in a particular area & open a receiver, but the one guy broke it off wrong... what am I supposed to do?

If Brock was like Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson it wouldn't look so bad. But since he's a straight drop back passer, it's going to look pretty bad if he hasn't got an outlet in the first 3 or 4 seconds.

He's mixing up exploding with imploding.

I'm seeing very similar things myself, but as I don't really know what's "supposed" to happen, I'm more "hoping" than anything.

I've mentioned several times where I see two or more receivers in the same spot, or they're drawing all the Defenders to the same area... if just one of those guys had broken their route off differently, it would make more sense.

so if I'm the QB & I'm expecting the route concepts to challenge the defense in a particular area & open a receiver, but the one guy broke it off wrong... what am I supposed to do?

If Brock was like Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson it wouldn't look so bad. But since he's a straight drop back passer, it's going to look pretty bad if he hasn't got an outlet in the first 3 or 4 seconds.
I'm not seeing it.

I had brought up all the particular plays where Osweiler didn't do it right.
I've yet to see you bringing up those that prove your point.

I'm not seeing it.

I'm baffled man. It's times like these I find myself a little envious of the sunshine pumpers. They can always find something to be optimistic about. They really look at this pile of **** and genuinely see an Ice Cream Sundae. I feel bad for them when they finally take a bite of the ****, but then they'll probably just keep eating it anyway.

I'm not seeing it.

We've done this before & we usually get nowhere. you see what you see & it's fact.

There were opportunities to make plays, Osweiler failed to make them all. we can agree on that I suppose. other times he made plays. can we agree on that?

We've done this before & we usually get nowhere. you see what you see & it's fact.

There were opportunities to make plays, Osweiler failed to make them all. we can agree on that I suppose. other times he made plays. can we agree on that?
It's better to disagree than simply generalize things, like you just did again.
:ahhaha:

I just dont see any fire in the offense. They talk about momentum. The offense just doesnt create any. The body language we see during the game from the players just doesnt inspire confidence..

It's fine if Osweiler wants to remain the perrenial optimist regarding his own development or ability. That's what a starting QB is expected to do (even Schaub thought he deserved to win his job back after his meltdown). But it's a problem when the coach and owner are buying it.

As I just said in another thread, yes, Osweiler can make plays. If he couldn't, he wouldn't have been drawing an NFL paycheck the last 5 years. And that goes for any QB/clipboard holder in the league. You don't get to this level not being able to make the throws.

The problem for Osweiler is that his positives are so sporadic throughout a game, few and far between. What separates the starters, or even just average on up QBs from the bottom of the barrel/clipboard holders is their ability to string those plays together. Other than the very end of the Colts game and one late drive against the Packers, that's not getting done by Osweiler.

The problem for Osweiler is that his positives are so sporadic throughout a game, few and far between. What separates the starters, or even just average on up QBs from the bottom of the barrel/clipboard holders is their ability to string those plays together. Other than the very end of the Colts game and one late drive against the Packers, that's not getting done by Osweiler.

Totally agree. I've never said anything different. You're seeing the glass 3/4 empty. I see it 1/4 full.

Most people see $18M & five years & expect to see a finished product. I know the Texans didn't see a franchise QB when they signed Brock.

They saw potential. I didn't. I don't. But I don't think it's time to move on.

I think the last two or three weeks we've got Brock as comfortable in O'bs offense as he was in Denver last season. The team around him isn't as explosive as the team he played with last season & I think that's what is ultimately holding us back.

And you can best believe this is not going well with his teammates.

Interesting.

If I were Ryan Griffin I doubt I would have an issue with the way Brock played. If I were Fiedorowicz I wouldn't have a problem with Brock.

If I were Jeff Allen or Chris Clark I'd focus more on the man in the mirror.

Look, through three quarters Aaron Rodgers didn't play any better than Osweiler. Charles James falls down & we're down 21-7.

That's not to say Brock played as well as Rodgers. I'm saying Rodgers can only do so much with what he's got to work with.

Remember Ron Wolfe, Ted Thompson, Eliot Wolfe? We've got Rick & Cal.

Again, all I'm saying is O'b said he can make Osweiler a franchise QB in two years time. I haven't seen enough yet to dump that "plan"

Totally agree. I've never said anything different. You're seeing the glass 3/4 empty. I see it 1/4 full.

Most people see $18M & five years & expect to see a finished product. I know the Texans didn't see a franchise QB when they signed Brock.

I think the last two or three weeks we've got Brock as comfortable in O'bs offense as he was in Denver last season. The team around him isn't as explosive as the team he played with last season & I think that's what is ultimately holding us back.

Interesting.

If I were Ryan Griffin I doubt I would have an issue with the way Brock played. If I were Fiedorowicz I wouldn't have a problem with Brock.

Look, through three quarters Aaron Rodgers didn't play any better than Osweiler. Charles James falls down & we're down 21-7.

That's not to say Brock played as well as Rodgers. I'm saying Rodgers can only do so much with what he's got to work with.

Again, all I'm saying is O'b said he can make Osweiler a franchise QB in two years time. I haven't seen enough yet to dump that "plan"

Ted Johnson stated a lot of players on defense were pretty darn upset with Brock's performance in several games this season. Hopkins is really upset about as well. Behind the scenes you can best believe some players are talking negatively about Brock.

I know there were many mistakes from several other players. But Brock is the leader who continues to talk about good game only to perform mediocre or worse.

Bill O'Brien continues to call a horrible game as well. He's making coaching mistakes as well. Mismanaged his timeouts and that 4th and 1at the 50 was horrific. Punt the ball and try to pin them as well as play the field position game.

Interesting.

In a "normal" year, I would appreciate your level-headed approach.

But McNair had promised us a real competitive team for a long time now.

He has done everything but help, starting with endorsing the resigning of David Carr.

I was very supportive of David (even though I was for Julius Pepper), but it was definitely the time to move on.

McNair might be a good man, but never a football man I want as a hometown owner.

Most people see $18M & five years & expect to see a finished product.

I see games, actions and results. I don't see contracts or money. Although money and contracts are important when building a football team, once the ink dries it's about games, actions and results. $17M has nothing to do with what Brock has done in 2016. If he made league minimum it would still be bad. (Of course it would probably be easier to bench him)

I know the Texans didn't see a franchise QB when they signed Brock.

Sub par talent evaluations, meddling owner, whatever the case may be. That's the real problem with this franchise. McNair was correct that his team needed a QB but he needs to wake up and realize that the reason he needs one and has to step in to demand one, is because of the supposed football people he has in place not doing their damn jobs.

Then when the owner has to step in and say you've got to do this, they go out and get 2 big FAs that fit more with Kubiak's scheme than they do O'Brien's. WTF?? And OB is so freaking hard-headed about his "complicated" system that he's just going to keep try to force that square peg into the round hole. Getting players to force them into your scheme instead of scheming to your player's strengths. But, I guess that goes back to talent evaluation.

And where's the speed at? All off-season, the draft, it was all about adding all of this speed. When are they going to start utilizing it?

See, I'm not bash Brock all the time. I know it's not all on him. But that doesn't make him any better.

All teams have faults. Brady can cover up the Patriots faults, Big Ben can make plays when things break down, hell, Aaron Rodgers has always been behind a shaky o-line, always among the league leaders in being sacked, and rarely has much of a running game, but he can cover that up.

Now, I'm not saying Brock needs to be those guys, but he's got to freaking help out. The Texans have a good team. Plenty of faults, but they've got an above average defense and a good run game. They just don't have the QB that can pick them up, throw them on his back and score more than 13 points against defenses that give up 30, never mind go win a football game.

Yep speedy and jj watt covered up the texans offensive faults
Absolutely. I actually thought about that today. Not JJ specifically, but I wondered why the Texans weren't forcing more turnovers. It's because their pass rush blows. They're not getting the strip sacks, they're not forcing the early, errant throws. Yeah, that's a big part of it.

Absolutely. I actually thought about that today. Not JJ specifically, but I wondered why the Texans weren't forcing more turnovers. It's because their pass rush blows. They're not getting the strip sacks, they're not forcing the early, errant throws. Yeah, that's a big part of it.

plus they aren't putting anyone into must pass situation... Texans always the one in come from behind mode

Exactly.

Nothing against Lamar Miller, but he's not Arian Foster. Big plays when you need them, nose for the end zone. he was the guy that helped us win 9 games when Fitz we had Ftizmagic on a short leash.

& without Jj to disrupt offenses, give us the short field for Hoyer, Weeden, & Tj Yates to capitalize on, we aren't a "QB" away from anything.

Reactions: JB
Exactly.

Nothing against Lamar Miller, but he's not Arian Foster. Big plays when you need them, nose for the end zone. he was the guy that helped us win 9 games when Fitz we had Ftizmagic on a short leash.

Sad to report that Miller comes with $8.5MM in dead money in 2017. And unfortunately the 2017 NFL Draft is shaping up as The Year of the Running Back. This is what I mean when I say the Texans operate with tunnel vision, a 1 year plan, not seeing the bigger picture and poor management of their salary cap.

Bill O’Brien on Texans’ pass protection Sunday‘Terrible’
By Aaron Wilson

December 5, 2016

Texans coach Bill O’Brien didn’t mince words when asked to assess the protection provided to quarterback Brock Osweiler during a loss to the Green Bay Packers.

O’Brien stuck to his usual blunt style Monday, characterizing the blocking performance as substandard.

Osweiler was sacked twice and hit five times and repeatedly had to escape the pocket to avoid being hit or sacked. He still managed to complete 22 of 35 passes for 202 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions for a 97.6 passer rating. Osweiler entered the game tied for the most interceptions in the league with 13 and tied for the lowest passer rating in the NFL with a 72.2 mark. He rushed for 20 yards on three carries against the Packers.

“It was terrible,” O’Brien said Monday. “It’s got to get a lot better. It was just not good enough. We’ve got to do a better job coaching it with the right protections. It just wasn’t good enough. Brock was under pressure most of the day and had to run sometimes, had to move in the pocket. It just wasn’t good enough.”

That's one of the most stupid things I ever heard from a HC and not surprisingly from O'Brien .

To imagine the opponent's QB under pressure .

O'Brien has no ball.
He has no accountability.

By Aaron Wilson

December 5, 2016

Texans coach Bill O’Brien didn’t mince words when asked to assess the protection provided to quarterback Brock Osweiler during a loss to the Green Bay Packers.

O’Brien stuck to his usual blunt style Monday, characterizing the blocking performance as substandard.

Osweiler was sacked twice and hit five times and repeatedly had to escape the pocket to avoid being hit or sacked. He still managed to complete 22 of 35 passes for 202 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions for a 97.6 passer rating. Osweiler entered the game tied for the most interceptions in the league with 13 and tied for the lowest passer rating in the NFL with a 72.2 mark. He rushed for 20 yards on three carries against the Packers.

“It was terrible,” O’Brien said Monday. “It’s got to get a lot better. It was just not good enough. We’ve got to do a better job coaching it with the right protections. It just wasn’t good enough. Brock was under pressure most of the day and had to run sometimes, had to move in the pocket. It just wasn’t good enough.”

I agree with 76. I think that may have been Osweiler's best game, Brock may very well be where O'b wants him to be right now, but nowhere near good enough to be scapegoating other players & that's the way this is coming across.

By Aaron Wilson

December 5, 2016

This is a bad move by O'Brien. Fans and media are smarter than this. We know why he said it.

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock 6m6 minutes ago

As Brock Osweiler gets ready to face one of the worst pass defenses, here's how he's played against the good, the bad & the ugly...

CzRdEUKUUAE0zVi.jpg:large

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock 6m6 minutes ago

As Brock Osweiler gets ready to face one of the worst pass defenses, here's how he's played against the good, the bad & the ugly...

CzRdEUKUUAE0zVi.jpg:large
Geez. How did Brock not get benched in that San Diego game? I'm not one that looks at stats after every game but holy crap. After looking at that, it's inexcusable we didn't at least try something else out. I knew he was bad in that game, but there really aren't words that can express just how pitiful he really was. Ugh...

So he pretty much sucks equally no matter the defensive rank?

When evaluating inexperienced starters I look at passers rating (that can't be QBR). I look at how many games are above 80 vs how many below, I look for streaks, & I compare it to opposing pass defense.

Brock has had 7 out of 12 games over 80
Six of those were over the last 9 games. the sub 80 games were well below 80, but none were back to back over the last 9.
The sub 80 games (over the last 9) were against Minnesota, Denver, & San Diego we should expect good QB play (Imo 80+ passer rating) from Brock against the Colts.

Geez. How did Brock not get benched in that San Diego game? I'm not one that looks at stats after every game but holy crap. After looking at that, it's inexcusable we didn't at least try something else out. I knew he was bad in that game, but there really aren't words that can express just how pitiful he really was. Ugh...

Eh... first, they signed Brock to $32M guaranteed or whatever, because they see something special in him. Something they do not see in Weeden or Savage. They may very well believe Weeden & Savage can run this offense better right now. But that thing they see in Brock is that thing we need to get pass the divisional round.

Right, if Brock doesn't pick it up quick, we won't even get to the wildcard round. They're sticking to their guns.

Now if I were in that QBR room, I'm sure the questions are about the decisions Brock made. the first interception he targeted Hopkins. a few talking points, if he's going to throw that ball (it wasn't a bad decision to throw it) he needs to make that decision quicker, he needs to throw it at the sideline, & he needs to throw it (as opposed to the lob he threw).

The second interception he may very well thought Fiedo was running a different route. Fiedo was most likely more correct.

The third interception they probably didn't talk much about as it was on a hail Mary.

I don't think it would have been too hard to talk through the low completion percentage.

But I hope they talked more about the plays he did make.

Now, I know it sounds like I'm defending Brock. I'm not. I don't care for Brock one way or the other (other than him being a Texans. I do not & never have believed he's special & do not believe he ever will). I'm trying to look at this if I were the person who believes in Brock... trying to understand why he hasn't been benched. if you could hear me after these losses, you'd know I'm on your side.

But after I go back & watch, ignore the win/loss aspect. & just watch Brock, he's playing solid football. he's not making the best decisions. but he's not making bad decisions. (Wrong maybe, but not bad. the difference is that you can fix wrong).

He's becoming more & more consistent & I can see him (& O'b & Rick) believing they're close. I can understand them not benching him based on one bad game (after four good games) using passer rating as our "objective" measure.

Last edited:
When evaluating inexperienced starters I look at passers rating (that can't be QBR). I look at how many games are above 80 vs how many below, I look for streaks, & I compare it to opposing pass defense.

Brock has had 7 out of 12 games over 80
Six of those were over the last 9 games. the sub 80 games were well below 80, but none were back to back over the last 9.
The sub 80 games (over the last 9) were against Minnesota, Denver, & San Diego we should expect good QB play (Imo 80+ passer rating) from Brock against the Colts.

You do realize that an 80 PR is pretty bad, right? I mean, it's better than Brock's season PR of 74.2, but still bad. Hell even 85 is just getting you to the average range, which he's only done 4 times out of 12 games.

Paint the turd any color you wish, it's still a turd.

You do realize that an 80 PR is pretty bad, right? I mean, it's better than Brock's season PR of 74.2, but still bad. Hell even 85 is just getting you to the average range, which he's only done 4 times out of 12 games.

Paint the turd any color you wish, it's still a turd.

I've always used 80. didn't feel the need to move the goal post just because I don't like Brock.

I've always used 80. didn't feel the need to move the goal post just because I don't like Brock.
That's fine. Use whatever number you want to. 80 is just setting the bar pretty low IMO. David Carr had 10 games with a PR better than 80 is last year here. So good for Os if he can get there, which he'd have to do 3 out of the last 4 games to do it.

So Brock is better against worse pass defenses? Shocker! That chart means nothing without comparison to others.

It says Brock sucks, but I still want to see the trend with others

What if I told you that Brock Osweiler is going to lead the Houston Texans deep into the playoffs? Would you overlook a disappointing and inconsistent season if he played incredibly well in the playoffs?

What an amazing story that would be. It would justify his struggles this year and also help to alleviate the overwhelming disappointment he must have felt being benched, in favor of an old and washed up Peyton Manning, right before the playoffs last year when he won the Super Bowl as the Broncos' backup quarterback.

Cheers and kudos to Brock proving everybody wrong! Sometimes all you have is yourself. As long as he still believes in his ability I'm hopeful that something good will happen if he keeps working hard. Not one excuse he has made all year and he's the first to admit that he has to play much better.

Reactions: ROO
He has stuck to his task manfully in the face of a lot of hot criticism - you have to give him kudos for that.
There is one annoying habit he needs to lose - have you ever noticed how when he hands the ball off, he points straight at the runner in a follow through motion?
It's like saying to the defense, "there he is boys, go git him."
What he should be doing is faking a run himself or at the very least point away from the runner to add some confusion - not making it easier for defenses.

Last edited:
Andre Luck's career completion : 59.1% (72 games [including postseason) 5 years as a starter

Brock Osweiler's career completion : 60.4% (28 games [no postseason]) 1 year as a starter
Andrew Luck: career Y/A 7.1 4.9 TD% 2.6 INT%

Brock Osweiler: Career Y/A 6.3(5.8 in HOU) 3.3 TD% (3.1 in HOU) 2.6 INT% (3.1 in HOU). I love statistics. lol

Back