Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

Broncos' Offensive lineman Nico Falah was carted off with an Achilles during practice today. He spent 2018 on the Jets PS. The Broncos were counting on him as a potential solid depth at C, OG and OT.

The 2013 Draft was disasterous for those who drafted a QB.

Today’s news that EJ Manuel is retiring and Geno Smith is trying to catch on with the Seahawks serves as a reminder of just what a terrible crop of quarterbacks entered the league in 2013.

Manuel was the first quarterback drafted that year, by the Bills. He lasted four years in Buffalo but started only 17 games over those four years, became a backup with the Raiders in 2017 and never saw the field in 2018. Now his career is over.

Smith was the second quarterback drafted that year, by the Jets. He started all 16 games as a rookie but had an ugly season, throwing 12 touchdowns and 21 interceptions. His tenure as the Jets’ starter was over by 2015 and he has bounced around the league with the Giants and Chargers since then.

Mike Glennon was the third quarterback drafted that year, by the Buccaneers. He was a backup in Tampa Bay, got overpaid in brief stints with the Bears and Cardinals, and is now trying to make the Raiders as a backup.

Matt Barkley was the fourth quarterback drafted that year, by the Eagles. He never started a game for the Eagles and then bounced around the league with the Cardinals, Bears, 49ers, Cardinals again, Bengald and Bills, where he currently is a backup.

Ryan Nassib was the fifth quarterback drafted that year, by the Giants. He is out of the NFL.

Tyler Wilson was the sixth quarterback drafted that year, by the Raiders. He is out of the NFL.

Landry Jones was the seventh quarterback drafted that year, by the Steelers. He is currently competing with Glennon for a backup job in Oakland.

Brad Sorensen was the eighth quarterback drafted that year, by the Chargers. He never played in an NFL game.

Zac Dysert was the ninth quarterback drafted that year, by the Broncos. He never played in an NFL game.

B.J. Daniels was the 10th quarterback drafted that year, by the 49ers. He threw two passes in his NFL career.

Sean Renfree was the 11th and final quarterback drafted that year, by the Falcons. He threw seven passes in his NFL career.

2013 was an ugly year for quarterbacks, one in which the only right decision was not to draft one at all.

Police investigating why 80+ shots were fired at Frank Reich’s assistant’s home
Posted by Josh Alper on May 14, 2019, 2:34 PM EDT

Police in Indianapolis are investigating a Mother’s Day shooting that resulted in over 80 shots being fired at the home of Colts head coach Frank Reich’s assistant Parks Frazier.

Neither Frazier nor anyone else was injured in the shooting, which witnesses say was carried out by eight men who got out of three cars outside of the house. Per a report from WTHR, the street outside the house was littered with shell casings from five different handguns and rifles.

“About five minutes until six, I was in the kitchen trying to fix myself a little meal,” one of Frazier’s neighbors told the station. “All at once boom, boom, boom! It was very loud, and it sounded like it was tearing up my house.”

The Colts had no comment beyond saying they were glad that Frazier was not harmed. Police have not made any arrests, but they recovered a cellphone from the street that they believe belonged to one of the shooters.

Crazy how far some coaches will go to chase their dream. A few years ago, Parks Frazier was willing to spend a few nights sleeping in his truck.

Now, he's Frank Reich's right-hand man. On what it's like working 16-hour days for the Colts head coach: https://t.co/ei1Z9sCDtu

— Zak Keefer (@zkeefer) November 14, 2018

Colts Eric Ebron is recovering from hernia surgery. From what I've been able to determine, it was a "sports hernia"..........performed the first week in April.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/15/report-jets-fired-g-m-mike-maccagnan/#comments

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Jets have fired General Manager Mike Maccagnan and vice president of player personnel Brian Heimerdinger. The team announced the move moments later.

The timing is curious, as they let him preside over the draft and an aggressive offseason in free agency, which saw them add running back Le'Veon Bell and linebacker C.J. Mosley on big deals, putting 2018 first-rounder Sam Darnold in better position to succeed.

There was a power struggle with new HC Gase.............now the Jets are going to have a very questionable HC/GM............both positions for now in Gase's hands. The timing stinks of politics. The Jets were finally looking like they were coming out of dysfunction.............but I guess this is what people talk about when they say that those living in long-standing dysfunction feel uncomfortable when chaos might finally be lifted.:rake:

Last edited:
Report: Bill Belichick expected to serve as defensive coordinator
Posted by Charean Williams on May 14, 2019, 9:58 PM EDT

The Patriots haven’t had a defensive coordinator since Greg Schiano abruptly left in March after only one month on the job.

Defensive line coach Bret Bielema, the former head coach at Wisconsin and Arkansas, is the most qualified defensive assistant to take over those duties. But it appears Bill Belichick will handle them himself, Ben Volin of the Boston Globe reports.

Belichick last called defensive plays in 2010, but he has remained involved in the defense even when Matt Patricia and then Brian Flores were calling plays.

Belichick works with the defensive linemen during the game and “often” told Patricia and Flores when to call blitzes, according to Volin.

If they catch these guys, steelb will be wanting to sign them...
The one that left his iphone behind is probably already sleeping with the fishes!
business-man-with-gun-pointing-to-his-head-silhouette_gg63898531.jpg

There was a power struggle with new HC Gase.............now the Jets are going to have a very questionable HC/GM............both positions for now in Gase's hands. The timing stinks of politics. The Jets were finally looking like they were coming out of dysfunction.............but I guess this is what people talk about when they say that those living in long-standing dysfunction feel uncomfortable when chaos might finally be lifted.:rake:
The same thing that happened to Casserly after the 2006 draft. He was fired and the Texans brought in one of Kubiak’s buddies, Rick Smith.

Ballard was born inGalveston, Texas. Growing up a severe asthmatic inTexas, as well asWisconsin, Ballard's parents reluctantly let him play football at a young age. He was a star quarterback in high school.[10]Ballard's favorite NFL team was once thePittsburgh Steelers, stating that his favorite player wasTerry Bradshaw.[11]
After college, Ballard became a history teacher forHitchcock Junior Highwhile also contributing to their football program. After a referral from Hitchcock's head coach, Ballard was interviewed byRon Harmsof Texas A&M-Kingsville for the position of receiver's coach.[10]
&&&
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Ballard_(American_football)
&&
Who knew that the Indy GM was from our area ?

Proposed “tweak” of replay review for pass interference is more like an amputation
May 17, 2019, 10:38 AM EDT

The NFL went too far one way in March. It may now go too far the other way in May.

Only two weeks after Competition Committee member Stephen Jones expressed during an appearance on #PFTPM a high degree of confidence that the new rule that makes offensive and defensive pass interference subject to the full replay review system would not be tweaked in May, someone else from the Competition Committee has leaked to the league’s media conglomerate that the league may revise the rule.

Specifically, ownership possibly will authorize the Competition Committee to revise the rule as needed after the Competition Committee completes its meetings with teams. And the word “tweak” makes it all sound more innocuous than it really is.

The currently proposed change, if made, means that automatic review would not be available for calls and non-calls of pass interference after scoring plays, after turnovers, in the final two minutes of either half, or during overtime. Which means that the horrendous call at the end of regulation in the Rams-Saints NFC title game — the horrendous call that sparked the change in the first place — would have been subject to replay review only if Saints coach Sean Payton happened to have at least one red challenge flag remaining, and at least one timeout to lose in the event the challenge was denied.

It’s hardly a “tweak.” It’s more like an amputation. And the reason given for it by the Competition Committee to NFL Media (it will lead to “greater consistency” by not having “two different standards of review”) makes, with all due respect, absolutely no sense.
THE REST OF THE STORY

Word is the the Jets will be trying to convince Peyton Manning to take over GM duties..............no matter what, owner Johnson will always find a way to screw his team up by trying to run the whole show while trying to make people think otherwise.

NFL Network shows slashed, tensions rise after $20M cuts
By Andrew Marchand
May 8, 2019 | 11:50am | Updated

The NFL Network is being forced to cut $20 million out of its projected budget and, in the process, already has eliminated at least five shows, including one that featured Deion Sanders, The Post has learned.

The less-than-hoped-for budget has made negotiations with on-air personnel tense, and there is a feeling some will either not be retained or be forced to take pay cuts, according to sources.

The moves have been made as part of the NFL’s overall budget, which includes what is expected to be an amped-up celebration of the NFL’s 100th season this year. NFL Network has apparently absorbed part of the project into its budget.

NFL Network is definitively cutting five programs. Sanders’ “21 & Prime,” “Power Rankings,” “Pick ‘em,” “Playbook” and “Mic’d Up” are off the air. The future of the weekend edition of “Good Morning Football” is in question.

In response, the NFL Network said it was actually upping its investment, but it was shifting where the spending is taking place with the NFL 100 celebration.

THE REST OF THE STORY
Can't help but think that this has something to do with U-verse and Direct TV NOW cancelling The NFL Network and The Redzone Channel due to unreasonable terms proposed by the NFL.
Sucks about Playbook. One of my favorite shows on NFLN and one of very few in general to get into the Xs and Os of football. Not even sure if ESPN has one anymore or not. NFL Turning Point might be the only one left.

D57StMqW0AEaUPC

Here's a pic taken 2 weeks ago (~6 months following injury) of Alex Smith. He is now in a new and different type of external fixator............a ring fixator, which allows weight-bearing.

upload_2019-5-19_10-12-47.jpeg

This is the type of external fixator that was originally placed for ~2 months...........non weight-bearing.

uniplanar_exfix-tibia.jpg

e39.jpg

To date, it seems that no one has been willing to offer up a realistic prognosis. What I have been able to find out is that he suffered significant bone loss and tissue loss from the original trauma, with further significant bone and soft tissue losses from subsequent infection and necessary surgeries. He will be looking toward undergoing additional reconstructive surgeries in the future. There is certainly no way that he plays this season. And from the facts of the case that I have been able to gather, I would have to say that his career will unquestionably follow the same fate.

D57StMqW0AEaUPC

Here's a pic taken 2 weeks ago (~6 months following injury) of Alex Smith. He is now in a new and different type of external fixator............a ring fixator, which allows weight-bearing.

View attachment 4413

This is the type of external fixator that was originally placed for ~2 months...........non weight-bearing.

uniplanar_exfix-tibia.jpg

e39.jpg

To date, it seems that no one has been willing to offer up a realistic prognosis. What I have been able to find out is that he suffered significant bone loss and tissue loss from the original trauma, with further significant bone and soft tissue losses from subsequent infection and necessary surgeries. He will be looking toward undergoing additional reconstructive surgeries in the future. There is certainly no way that he plays this season. And from the facts of the case that I have been able to gather, I would have to say that his career will unquestionably follow the same fate.
A friend of mine had a similar gadget to the bottom one some 30 years ago.
Looks painful - and I daresay the slightest bump would not be pleasant.

Ruben Foster within only a few minutes into the first OTAs with his new team, was carted off the field but not until his left knee was stabilized with a large brace. He was said to be overtly crying in pain. Don't care for the person, but still hope for best him.

Ruben Foster within only a few minutes into the first OTAs with his new team, was carted off the field but not until his left knee was stabilized with a large brace. He was said to be overtly crying in pain. Don't care for the person, but still hope for best him.

So what is the probable injury that would require an brace from stepping on someone's foot? Doesn't look like ankle or foot

upload_2019-5-20_15-31-31.png

So what is the probable injury that would require an brace from stepping on someone's foot? Doesn't look like ankle or foot

View attachment 4415
Not an ankle or the ankle joint would be included in the splint. It would also not likely be a tibia/fibula fracture (ala., Alex Smith), as I would also expect the brace to function more distally. The practice field was wet and there was some speculation that was the cause. However, from what I've been able find out so far is that he tried to run through a gap and stepped on OG Tyler Catalina's foot and landed awkwardly on his left leg. MRI is being prepared for now.

Doesn't look good. But without video (since OTAs), must be left to suspect injury such as ACL/meniscus, multiple ligament knee, tibia plateau fracture or even patellar or quad tendon tear.

Sorry, but with the information available to me, the best assessment I can make at this time...........awaiting MRI for definitive diagnosis.

View attachment 4415
Looks like Ruben has sustained a ruptured ACL.........and there seems to be concern of arterial damage (and when there commonly is arterial damage, there is usually nerve damage). The latter signifies that there had to be multiple knee ligament ruptures and associated meniscus tears as I suspected. All of this points to the knee having dislocated or at least significantly subluxed.

Last edited:
What's interesting in Foster's case is that before being released last year, he had missed the preceding 3 games with a grade II hamstring tear. If you've read my posts in the Injury Thread you will see how hamstring tears later increase the player's risk of sustaining an ACL rupture.

MAY 21, 2019
NFC East notes: Ezekiel Elliott was a jerk again; Reuben Foster done for the season

BY JIMMY KEMPSKI
SHANE ROPER/USA TODAY SPORTS

Recidivist jerk Ezekiel Elliott is in trouble again.

On Monday, news popped up around the NFC East that is bad for both the Dallas Cowboys and the Washington team. Let's get to Ezekiel Elliott and the Cowboys first.

Ezekiel Elliott was a jerk again
In 2017, after an investigation that lasted roughly a year, Elliott was suspended by the league for six games for a pattern of alleged abuse over the span of several days in July of 2016, in which Elliott's girlfriend filed a report with police. During that investigation, Elliott pulled down a woman's shirt during a St. Patrick's Day party, exposing her breast on camera.

On Monday, TMZ.com posted video of Elliott bullying a security guard, getting in his face and knocking him to the ground with a forearm shove. As you'll see in the video, the security guard will probably be OK. Elliott was handcuffed after the incident, but was not arrested because the victim chose not to press charges. Elliott was wearing a fanny pack and a LeBron James Lakers jersey (of course), and appeared to be very inebriated.

That's... not good for Elliott or the Cowboys. There's a good bet the league will investigate this incident, especially given Elliott's past.

He was not arrested because the security guard refused to press charges for misdemeanor battery , and handcuffs were removed a little later. I'm not sure how much that will deter the League from following through an investigation.

Last edited:

Cincinnati Bengals
offensive linemanCordy Glennis kickinginsideto make room for the team's first-round pick.

The veteran left tackle said Monday he's moving to left guard. The eight-year pro is embracing the change after discussing the decision with offensive line coach Jim Turner.
"Coach Turner and I had a man-to-man talk," Glenn told reporters,via Paul Dehner of The Athletic.

The move opens the left tackle spot for No. 11 overall pickJonah Williams. TheBengalsclearly view the Alabama product as ready to start onAndy Dalton's blindside from the get-go, handing the rookie the starting left tackle gig without so much as a competition.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ngals-moving-tackle-cordy-glenn-to-left-guard
This is kinda interesting because several expressed the opinion leading up to the Draft that Williams was not NFL OT material and would end up inside at guard.
Initlially atleast just the opposite has happened in Cinci where he was drafted as they've moved their vet LT inside to make room for Williams.
We will keep track of Williams to see how he progresses ?

Thomas Bassinger
✔@tometrics

If the #Bucs sign Ndamukong Suh, expect terms to look something like one season at $10 million. Tampa Bay would save about $3 million by basically swapping Gerald McCoy for Suh.

6:21 PM - May 20, 2019

The problem with the above tweet is that a major reason why the Bucks cut McCoy was to save the $13 million...................they only were $1 million under the cap...........and they still needed $10 million to sign all of their rookies.

Nick Bosa has already sustained a hamstring tear.........no information for you to the extent yet. He has had numerous injuries since his senior year in highschool when he tore his ACL. The most recent was a groin tear last Sep, when he required "sports hernia" surgery. As I've told some of my friends before this occurred, durability will have to come in question.

Foster's ACL for one has now been confirmed. With concerns of arterial and/or nerve damage, multiligament involvement is almost inevitable.

Post Sports
@PostSports
Doctors worry that Redskins linebacker Reuben Foster might have nerve damage, but they won’t know until he has surgery.

It is expected he will have surgery once the swelling in his knee goes down. https://wapo.st/2HLazmr

8:29 AM - May 22, 2019

Suh and the Bucs have finalized a one-year, $9.25 million contract with another $750,000 in incentives, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

Gerald McCoy is reported to be getting interest from 10 teams. Some of the offers are supposedly at ~$11 million..............no information re. length of contracts or guaranteed moneys offered.

Bosa's hamstring tear finally reported as a Grade I. Although this is normally around a 3 week recovery, with his prior injury history, he would be wise not to return until TC.

Last edited:
But the Texans aren't one of those 10 teams ?
Speculation, but no such reports. I've received some reliable feedback that many on the present roster are somewhat upset over the Clowney impasse. Whether right or wrong, they feel that Clowney should get his contract. There is concern that if a Suh or a McCoy were to be brought in, the locker room could be "disrupted." The Texans are walking a fine line.

Reactions: JB
The NFL has banned the Oklahoma drill. With all the emphasis on concussions, I'm surprised it took so much time for the ban to be called for.

:choke:

Former NFL cornerback Brandon Browner sued for domestic violence

May 25, 2019, 8:25 PM EDT

Brandon Browner, a former NFL cornerback and key player in Super Bowl XLIX, already is spending eight years in prison for attempted murder. He now has another legal problem.

Via TMZ.com, a former girlfriend has sued Brownerfor multiple alleged acts of domestic violence. She claims, among other things, that he hit her across the face, that he knocked her unconscious on a different occasion, and that he caused her face to suffer rug burn on yet another occasion.

She also claims that Browner attacked her while she slept on more than one occasion, and that a month before the attempted murder that put him in prison he broke into her home and pinned her to a couch for 15 minutes.

Browner, 34, won consecutive Super Bowls with the Seahawks and Patriots. His recognition of the goal-line pass at the conclusion of Super Bowl XLIX prevented a Seahawks receiver from executing a pick of cornerback Malcolm Butler, allowing Butler to intercept Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson and seal the championship.

Undrafted in 2005, a successful stint in Canada caught Seattle’s eye in 2011. Browner then spent three years with the Seahawks, one with the Patriots, one with the Saints, and a final season with Seattle in 2016.

I think at some point before the season starts, the Cardinals could kick the tires on Keenum's availability. Their full Spread (Run-N-Shoot) Offense makes absolute sense for the Cardinals to get Keenum on the team simply b/c of his knowledge and success operating in this type of offense. It could buy Murray a few games before he goes under center as the starter. Keenum could serve as a solid backup and sideline mentor for Murray as well.

In Washington, Haskins should be starter after a few games and there is no doubt in my mind that McCoy is light years ahead of Keenum in knowing this Redskins offense. I think the Cardinals could ship Hundley or Kanoff to the Redskins along with a RD6 or RD7 in return.

I feel like this is a trade that benefits both teams.

Back