Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

Is Tyreek Hill already facing a Personal Conduct Policy suspension?
April 19, 2019, 11:12 AM EDT

The league moved quickly to launch an investigation regarding possible child-abuse complaints involving Chiefs receiver Tyreek Hill, so quickly that the request for information came before the date of the latest police report on the topic. Given the latest development in the case, the league could move quickly to take action against Hill, if it wants to.

The reported removal of the three-year-old boyfrom the custody of Hill and the boy’s mother did not happen quickly or easily. It’s an extreme outcome that occurs only when a judge orders it. And it occurs only when a judge has determined that the child’s environment is sufficiently unsafe to justify removing the child from the home and placing the child elsewhere. Even if Hill himself did not commit an act of child abuse against his three-year-old son, Hill is a key member of a household deemed by a judge to be unfit to care for the boy.

And here’s how that becomes a potentially significant problem for Hill. The list of behaviors that can result in discipline under the NFL’s Personal Conduct Policy includes this: “Conduct that poses a genuine danger to the safety and well-being of another person.”

Applying basic logic to the situation, a judge wouldn’t have removed Hill’s son from the home unless the judge believed that the boy’s “safety and well-being” were in “genuine danger.” Which means that there’s already enough evidence to justify punishing Hill under the Personal Conduct Policy.

The league office has clear power to do basically whatever it wants to do under the Personal Conduct Policy, and Hill’s history could make the league office more likely to pursue him aggressively. He pleaded guilty to assaulting his then-pregnant girlfriend before entering the NFL, something for which the NFL couldn’t have disciplined him. But the NFL can do so now, and the NFL could be more inclined to do it to Hill, if there’s a belief in the league office that he has not suffered a sufficient sanction for what he previously did.

And that’s without an arrest or charges or a specific finding that Hill committed any type of violence against the boy. If the investigation pivots in that direction, it could only get worse for Hill.

For now, it’s bad enough — and the situation presents sufficiently unique circumstances to allow the league to punish Hill aggressively, if that’s what the league wants to do.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account@RapSheet

Sources: #Raiders coach Jon Gruden and GM Mike Mayock sent their scouts home for the weekend and they are not expected to return by draft time. The belief is they don’t know who to trust and wanted to clear the room.

9:21 AM - 19 Apr 2019
They've scouted the players. Been in the combine interviews. And the pro days and personal workouts. But now, you can't trust them?

Why am I getting the feeling that this Raiders draft will be a disaster?

Those scouts aren't his guys. He didn't hire them. Raiders scouts will be fired after this draft.

You don't fire everyone months before the draft. That's too much work to start over. I understand why he kicked them out. Mayock and Gruden need to be on the page with this one. They're the only ones they can trust to not leak info.

Gil Brandt tweeted the other day that they "leaked" info to a scout they didn't know if they could trust and sure enough that false info got leaked to a local news reporter.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account@RapSheet

Sources: #Raiders coach Jon Gruden and GM Mike Mayock sent their scouts home for the weekend and they are not expected to return by draft time. The belief is they don’t know who to trust and wanted to clear the room.

9:21 AM - 19 Apr 2019
I dunno is this an allegation that there is a member(s) of the Raiders scouting group who would leak the contents of the Raiders Draft Board ?

I dunno is this an allegation that there is a member(s) of the Raiders scouting group who would leak the contents of the Raiders Draft Board ?

I think more an allegation that the fear is there

They've scouted the players. Been in the combine interviews. And the pro days and personal workouts. But now, you can't trust them?

Why am I getting the feeling that this Raiders draft will be a disaster?

I bet they do a great job.

Their strategy is supposed to be add FA on offense and draft defense.

Monday marks 15th anniversary of Pat Tillman’s death.............the only NFL player to enlist in the armed forces in the wake of the September 11th terrorist attacks.............a true hero who gave up his career to give up his life for his country.............amazing how time flies! May you rest in peace.

Before Roger Goodell, Tyreek Hill’s Fifth Amendment rights won’t save him
April 24, 2019, 4:31 PM EST

Chiefs receiver Tyreek Hill won’t be prosecuted for hurting his three-year-old child, even though prosecutors believe someone hurt Hill’s three-year-old child. A prosecution won’t occur because both Hill and the boy’s mother, Crystal Espinal, can invoke their Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination and refuse to cooperate with the investigation and, ultimately, to testify at trial.

That won’t save Hill from the scrutiny of the NFL.

Here’s the key language from the Personal Conduct Policy: “Because the Fifth Amendment’s protection against self-incrimination does not apply in a workplace investigation, the league will reserve the right to compel a player to cooperate in its investigations even when he is the target of a pending law enforcement investigation or proceeding. A player’s refusal to speak to a league investigator under such circumstances will not preclude an investigation from proceeding or discipline from being imposed.”

Given Hill’s history — he pleaded guilty before entering the NFL to assaulting Espinal while she was pregnant — and the age of the child, the NFL should do what the prosecutor couldn’t do. Specifically, the NFL should presume that Hill is guilty, unless and until Hill persuasively convinces the league that he isn’t.

If he won’t talk to the league, he’s guilty. If he talks to the league but he tells a story that isn’t believable or consistent, he’s guilty. If Espinal tries to take the blame but does so in a way that, given her clear financial interest in protecting Hill, seems flimsy or not credible, he’s guilty.

Indeed, if Hill isn’t guilty he should be committed to bringing to justice whoever injured his child. And it’s fair to assume that Hill and Espinal have circled the wagons to protect each other from potential incarceration.

While that apparently will fly in Johnson County, Kansas (some would say the prosecutor should charge both of them with a crime and let a jury sort it all out, if Hill and Espinal both refuse to testify), it won’t fly at 345 Park Avenue. Especially since Hill escaped scrutiny for assaulting Espinal at a time when he was not yet subject to the Personal Conduct Policy.

It has been noted that although the police can't force testimony against a spouse (the 5th Amendment) and therefore will not press charges at this time, the NFL has no such limitations...........and any information gained by the NFL's investigation can and will be used in a future criminal charges.

Are you surprised?

I think it's the same in many work place enviroments

The constitution is about the GOVERNMENT'S ability to interfere with your life. when a person takes a check from an employer they are usually agreeing to a massive negation of normal rights.

Reactions: JB
So the NFL doesn't recognize the US Constitution. Interesting work place motivator. LOL

Something is strange about how this whole incident has been handled by the prosecution. I've taken care of my share of child abuse cases, and spousal privilege has not been able to be invoked in any of those. So I've looked up the law to see why.............any input by an attorney here would be appreciated. It appears that "workplace" has nothing to do with it.:

Are There Any Exceptions to This Privilege?
This privilege does not apply to bar evidence from all court proceedings. Common situations where the privilege does not apply include:

• When charged for a crime against your spouse or spouse's property. e.g., domestic violence
  • When charged for a crime against the child of either spouse. e.g., child abuse or neglect
  • When charged for a crime against anyone living with either spouse. e.g., abuse of spouse's parents
  • When asked about matters that pre-date the marriage
  • If you are not legally married there is no privilege, regardless of how long you have been a couple
  • If either spouse discloses confidential information to a third party, the privilege will not bar the third person from testifying

Just a general query - who did NE replace Trent Brown with?
It would be just like them to sit back very quietly and draft Greg Little and turn him into an All-pro.

I really don't find watching the draft that exciting, except waiting on Houston's picks, and the NFL site has that live anyway.

I really don't find watching the draft that exciting, except waiting on Houston's picks, and the NFL site has that live anyway.

I'm only watching because I got suckered into thinking the Texans would trade into the top 10.

I was dupped.

Back