Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

Bears send Jordan Howard to Eagles for 2020 6th.

The Chicago Bears finally moved Jordan Howard.

Chicago shipped the running back to the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for a 2020 sixth-round pick on Thursday night, the Eagles announced. Conditions in the trade could flex that selection to a 2020 fifth-round pick.

Howard had been rumored as trade bait since before the 2018 season, as Tarik Cohen took on a larger role in first-year coach Matt Nagy's offense. In his third season in the Windy City, Howard saw another dip in production as he totaled 935 rushing yards and 3.7 yards per carry. When Chicago signed former Seahawks running back Mike Davis in free agency, the writing looked to be on the wall.

Still on his cheap rookie deal, Howard is slated to make $2 million in the final season of his four-year contract.
Not sure why the Bears were so eager to dump a RB who has averaged 1100 yards and 8 TDs. Not a bad price for the Eagles, even if it's just one season.

I think it was more like, “Oh shyt, my wife caught me cheating again. I’ve got to spend less time at the massage parlors and more time with the family.”

This could also be true.

LOL

The next owners meeting before the season starts is i Miami.

#Theirony

I would have liked to see the Texans pick him up to replace Blue and insurance in case Foster doesn't return to form

Damnit, the Jets went back to the ugly green helmets with the boring logo.
I was glad when they went back to the original logo on the white helmets.

And the black alternate. I'm so done with EVERYBODY going to black. Unless it's in your color scheme (Raiders, Steelers, etc) enough of the black already. Absolutely loathe the Rockets black unis. Very disappointed UH used them in the tourney as well.

Damnit, the Jets went back to the ugly green helmets with the boring logo.
I was glad when they went back to the original logo on the white helmets.

Agree, the Namath era look was great for them. This is gawd awful. Nike just keeps screwing team’s looks. The Bucs digital alarm clock numbers are the poster child for everything wrong with Nike. I’m wondering what they have in store for the Texans in the future.

Agree, the Namath era look was great for them. This is gawd awful. Nike just keeps screwing team’s looks. The Bucs digital alarm clock numbers are the poster child for everything wrong with Nike. I’m wondering what they have in store for the Texans in the future.

Yep, and you know it's coming.

I would like for the Texans to be like the Steelers/Packers in this regard.

You think for a minute Cal thinks like I do? LOL

And the black alternate. I'm so done with EVERYBODY going to black. Unless it's in your color scheme (Raiders, Steelers, etc) enough of the black already. Absolutely loathe the Rockets black unis. Very disappointed UH used them in the tourney as well.

Ah yes, the black alternate jersey. This has been beaten to death, dug up from the grave and beaten again.
The Houston Rockets black? Bullshit, the Rockets are Red and so are the Cougars!

Like the new Jets unis. The old ones made them look like the NY Biplanes. They can still pull those out on throwback day.

Ah yes, the black alternate jersey. This has been beaten to death, dug up from the grave and beaten again.
The Houston Rockets black? Bullshit, the Rockets are Red and so are the Cougars!

I’ve hated every Rockets uniform ever since they ditched the classic Clutch City era uniform. They should revert both the logo and uniform to that era.

Like the new Jets unis. The old ones made them look like the NY Biplanes. They can still pull those out on throwback day.

The NFL rules won’t allow them to do throwbacks because the old helmet is white. That stupid rule is why the Bucs can no longer do the Bucco Bruce throwbacks and the Pats can’t do their classic throwbacks.

Things are going to get interesting in dallas.

"After celebrating DeMarcus Lawrence's big payday, the Dallas Cowboys front office must put down the bubbly soon and refocus on other major contracts for their young stars.

Quarterback Dak Prescott appears to be next up of the young corps in line to get paid. A list that includes Amari Cooper, Ezekiel Elliott, and Byron Jones.

On Monday,
Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones insisted on ESPN Radio 103.3 in Dallas that the deal must be "team friendly."

Four team friendly contracts? Riiiight. Or is Dak the only one that must be friendly?

Wonder if the boys have accumulated enough cap space if all four aren't team friendly?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025721/article/stephen-jones-daks-deal-must-be-team-friendly

:coffee:

Things are going to get interesting in dallas.

"After celebrating DeMarcus Lawrence's big payday, the Dallas Cowboys front office must put down the bubbly soon and refocus on other major contracts for their young stars.

Quarterback Dak Prescott appears to be next up of the young corps in line to get paid. A list that includes Amari Cooper, Ezekiel Elliott, and Byron Jones.

On Monday,
Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones insisted on ESPN Radio 103.3 in Dallas that the deal must be "team friendly."

Four team friendly contracts? Riiiight. Or is Dak the only one that must be friendly?

Wonder if the boys have accumulated enough cap space if all four aren't team friendly?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025721/article/stephen-jones-daks-deal-must-be-team-friendly

Players come and players go.

Very few players finish with the team they start with. See: Montana/Rice/Emmitt/Mamath etc...

I just dont get fans that are into a player starting with a team and finishing with a team. Players are nothing more than assets and good teams use those assets to their advantage. See: Astros/Rockets.

Players come and players go.

Very few players finish with the team they start with. See: Montana/Rice/Emmitt/Mamath etc...

I just dont get fans that are into a player starting with a team and finishing with a team. Players are nothing more than assets and good teams use those assets to their advantage. See: Astros/Rockets.

Very true.

I think three of the four named players are considered core players. One of whom they traded this years #1 draft pick for.

They will be expecting substantial raises.

What happens if they don't choose to sign friendly contracts.

Hard to maintain a competitive team if too many core players come and go at the same time.

"Montana/Rice/Emmitt/Namath etc.." Were not in their prime as the named Dallas players currently are.

Montana 14 years with same team.
Jerry Rice 16 years with same team.
Emmitt Smith 13 years with the same team

Prescott 3 years with Dallas
Elliott 3 years with Dallas
Cooper 1 year with Dallas
B Jones 4 years with Dallas

"I just dont get fans that are into a player starting with a team and finishing with a team".

Big difference.

Very true.

I think three of the four named players are considered core players. One of whom they traded this years #1 draft pick for.

They will be expecting substantial raises.

What happens if they don't choose to sign friendly contracts.

Hard to maintain a competitive team if too many core players come and go at the same time.

"Montana/Rice/Emmitt/Namath etc.." Were not in their prime as the named Dallas players currently are.

Montana 14 years with same team.
Jerry Rice 16 years with same team.
Emmitt Smith 13 years with the same team

Prescott 3 years with Dallas
Elliott 3 years with Dallas
Cooper 1 year with Dallas
B Jones 4 years with Dallas

"I just dont get fans that are into a player starting with a team and finishing with a team".

Big difference.

Can't re sign everybody and fans need to realize this

Teams can only really afford 4-5 max contracts

Can't re sign everybody and fans need to realize this

Teams can only really afford 4-5 max contracts

I am not too cognizant on the in's and out's of the salary cap.

Just wondering if it is possible to somehow stagger the contracts of core players so that a team is not caught between a rock and a hard place.

If Dallas is successful in signing these four players is there some way the length of the contracts can differ so as to not cause a future problem?

How many contracts will expire at the same time as Watsons? Will we be unable to sign them all?

Seems a good GM must be able to plan/budget in order to keep core players. Keep a stash for emergencies.

Jack Del Rio: Don’t be surprised if there’s a Russell Wilson trade
April 9, 2019, 8:14 PM EDT

Quarterback Russell Wilson wants a new contract before April 15. If he doesn’t get one, Wilson very well could embark on a year-to-year approach under the franchise tag, with $30.34 million in 2020 becoming $36.4 million in 2021 becoming $52.43 million in 2022.

Appearing recently on NFL Network, former Jaguars and Raiders coach Jack Del Rio offered a fairly bold prediction regarding a third possible option.

“[D]on’t be surprised if before it’s all said and done when we line up for the season next year if Russell Wilson isn’t quarterbacking somewhere else and the Seahawks haven’t gone and gotten a quarterback they think for the future,” Del Rio said.

Wilson has given no indication that he wants a trade; appearing on The Tonight Show last month, he dismissed speculation of a trade to the Giants by saying the Seahawks likely wouldn’t let him get away. But what if the Seahawks decide neither to make Wilson the highest-paid player in football history nor to engage in the franchise-tag dance? The other alternative would be to find another quarterback, and to shop Wilson to a team that needs a quarterback — and that would be willing to pay huge money to Russell Wilson.

I would not give it a second thought except for the fact that the Seahawks as it stands have I believe (but may be wrong) somewhere around $10 million in cap space.

$12.25 but, yeah (next year they currently have $84.6). Clark is sitting on a $17 mil franchise tag so if they get a deal done that will go down. But otherwise their big contracts aren't set up to restructure. Wagner is in the last year of his contract so they may have to let him go.

The biggest thing is he is supposedly demanding a % of cap deal.

Still think they'll find a way.

This strongly reflects Fournette's wonderlic score of 11..................

Leonard Fournette arrested for driving on suspended license
Posted by Josh Alper on April 11, 2019, 3:18 PM EDT

Jaguars running back Leonard Fournette‘s failure to pay a speeding ticket he got last year led to his arrest in Jacksonville on Thursday.

According to a booking report from the Jackonville Sheriff’s Office, Fournette was arrested for knowingly driving on a suspended license along with the speeding violation. Per multiple reports, his license was suspended after he failed to pay a speeding ticket he received last November.

Fournette was released on a $1,500 bond and the team issued a statement about the arrest.

“The Jacksonville Jaguars are aware of the situation involving running back Leonard Fournette and are continuing to gather more information. No further comment will be provided at this time.”

Fournette missed eight games in 2018 due to injury and a suspension for leaving the bench to join in a fight during a game against the Bills. That suspension led the team to void the remaining guarantees in his contract, although Fournette is challenging that decision. Thursday’s arrest could open the door to another round of discipline from the league under the Personal Conduct Policy.

Replay review on pass interference may have unintended consequences
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 12, 2019, 6:47 AM EDT

The NFL’s owners approved adding pass interference to the list of items that can be reviewed on instant replay, but they may not have thought through all the potential consequences.

One such consequence could be additional offensive pass interference calls on offensive players who are blocking more than one yard downfield. Most people assume that offensive pass interference reviews will be about receivers pushing off before catching the ball, but former NFL referee and NBC analyst Terry McAulay wrote on Twitter that he thinks some run-pass option plays will now have offensive pass interference calls on offensive linemen, who start the play like they are run blocking, block more than a yard downfield, and then are technically committing offensive pass interference when the ball is thrown.

“Now that PI is reviewable, here’s an RPO that I would expect to be reversed to OPI after review,” McAulay wrote with a video on Twitter. “Ball snapped at the 1. The RG blocks the LB ever so slightly more than 1 yd downfield (contact in the EZ) just before the pass is in flight. . . . I could see the defensive coach challenging this play.”
THE REST OF THE STORY

Report: Russell Wilson Won't Sign Extension With Seahawks After Deadline

KAELEN JONES
April 15, 2019
Star quarterback Russell Wilson reportedly does not intend to sign a contract extension with the Seahawks if the two sides cannot reach an agreement prior to Wilson's self-imposed deadline of midnight Monday, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

According to Schefter, discussions over a new deal are ongoing in an effort to reach a deal prior to the deadline.

Wilson, 30, is entering the final year of a four-year, $87.6 million deal he signed in July 2015. It was reported earlier this offseason that Wilson gave the Seahawks a deadline of April 15, the first day Seattle's offseason program began, to complete negotiations for a new contract.

According to Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer, Wilson's camp gave the Seahawks the deadline at the end of January in Atlanta during the week of Super Bowl LIII. Breer reported that Wilson decided on a deadline because he didn't want contract discussions to become a distraction during the team's offseason program, and his camp didn't believe the QB market would shift in 2019.

Wilson is scheduled to be the 12th-highest-paid quarterback under his current deal. Franchise-tagging Wilson next season couldcost Seattle $30.343 million.

Seattle has had three months to get this done and Wilson isn't screaming "I'll hold out" or "trade me or else"...

must be a slow news cycle if this is 'big news'.

Seattle has had three months to get this done and Wilson isn't screaming "I'll hold out" or "trade me or else"...

must be a slow news cycle if this is 'big news'.

He doesn't want to negotiate contracts during the season.

Reactions: JB
Gurley was asked about the status of his knee and replied "I'm feeling pretty good." Not a great endorsement. He is reported to be dealing with significant arthritis of his left knee. He required surgery for a left ACL rupture in Nov 2014. There was secrecy about the true nature of the injury, despite the fact the team and Gurley himself at the time reported that the knee issue was worse than first thought. As I've discovered, at the time of surgery, he was found to have suffered meniscus and articular cartilage damage in addition to the ACL. Last Dec, he suffered an undisclosed reinjury to his left knee......missed the last 2 games of the season, then only had 1 good game (the one after the long rest of the missed games plus the Bye) in 3 playoff games........he barely made it through the other last 2. The timing of arthritis is right in line with the passage of time since his original injury. Gurley and the Rams are saying he won't require surgery...........I feel that, after probably fooling around with ancillary treatments such as platelet rich plasma and stem cell treatments, Gurley's future is microfracture surgery.

Last edited:
Russell Wilson has been signed to $35 million per year deal x 5 years.........just under the wire.

For Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, the contract has a value from signing (per Ian Rapoport of NFL Media) of five years and $157 million. That’s an average at signing of $31.4 million per year.

Setting aside the $17 million that Wilson would have made in 2019, the last year of his prior contract, the new money consists of $140 million over four years, which equates to a new-money average of $35 million per year.

The deal also reportedly includes a $65 million signing bonus and $107 million in total guarantees. As often is the case, the full guarantee at signing hasn’t leaked yet, since it will be lower than $107 million — and since many will in the interim see the report of $107 million in guarantees and erroneously conclude that this means the $107 million is fully guaranteed.

This conventional sleight of hand regarding the reporting of the deal meshes with the conventional structure of the deal. For all the huffing and puffing about a contract tied to inevitable increases in the salary cap, Wilson eventually accepted a very large bird in the hand, choosing the certainty of $31.4 million over the next five years.LINK

Does anyone stream NFL Network? Uverse has dropped it, so I'm looking for an alternative. I don't think I'll watch the draft if I can't find something. No way I'm watching espn

Pretty amazing.

Pro Football Focus‏Verified account@PFF 3h3 hours ago

Derrick Henry had to work hard for his yards in 2018.

He averaged 0.71 yards before contact (4th-lowest) and averaged a ridiculous 4.21 Pro Football Focus‏Verified account@PFF 3h3 hours ago (2nd-highest) per carry.

D4c5bBRXoAYdCxo.jpg:large

Back