Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

NFL Random Thought of the Day

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Wolf, Sep 11, 2011.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Chad Kelly, 3rd string QB for the Colts has been suspended for 2 games for an arrest for trespassing incident that occurred last year.

2. CloakNNNdagger

Aaron Wilson‏@AaronWilson_NFL 7h7 hours ago
    Former Texas and NFL quarterback Vince Young @VinceYoung10 driving while intoxicated case was changed to obstructing a highway, a Class B misdemeanor, today in Fort Bend County, according to court officials. Young is represented by Houston attorney Paul Doyle.

3. CloakNNNdagger

Competition Committee wants Hail Mary to be “survival of the fittest”
    Posted by Michael David Smith on June 1, 2019, 7:24 AM EDT

As people in and around the NFL continue to debate how instant replay should be used on pass interference, Competition Committee Chairman Rich McKay is making clear that the Hail Mary should not be an opportunity to draw ticky-tack flags.

McKay said it has always been assumed that there will be more bumping and jostling in the end zone on a Hail Mary than would be allowed on any other play, and using instant replay to look for pass interference should not result in penalties that wouldn’t otherwise have been called.

“Remember, in that play, officiating-wise, the philosophy has been since I have been in the League, it is survival of the fittest,” McKay said. “Everybody jumps. Everybody is shoving, everybody is trying to get the ball, knock it down, or catch it. We tell the officials, make sure you see if anybody gets pulled down or anybody gets dragged down, that is pass interference. Otherwise, it is a different play than any other play we have because there are multiple receivers and multiple defensive players in a common area.”

McKay said that one of the consequences of reviewing pass interference is going to be that the Hail Mary becomes a fundamentally different play.

“I’d hate to see replay do this to us but, you could say we are just going to play it differently,” McKay said. “And they are going to have to play it differently. That would be replay again impacting the game. But, the way the game has been played and the way that play has been played and the way that play has been officiated has been different because of the nature of the play.”

When the NFL changes rules in the offseason, it sometimes results in unintended consequences the following season. We’re still not sure how a Hail Mary exception would play out, but suffice to say that it’s going to make things different.

4. CloakNNNdagger

Rueben Foster indeed was found to have a multiligament injury during the surgery he underwent Tuesday. He sustained an ACL and LCL rupture which is a serious combination as it is commonly associated with additional meniscus and articular cartilage damage. One good finding was that there was no nerve damage. He will be very fortunate to make it back for the 2020 season. And if he does, as a linebacker, I would not put money on his return to anywhere close to pre-injury level.

A very recent Nov 2018 article "Return to Play After Multiligament Knee Injuries in National Football League Athletes" published in Sports Health: A Multidisciplinary Approach concluded that ~55% of NFL players with ACL/LCL ruptures will return to play from such an injury........and for those that do, ~18.5% return to prior performance level.

steelbtexan likes this.
  5. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I would take my chances on the Hail Mary if it stopped the obvious rigging of games like what happened in New Orleans.

Hey Rich, how about not letting residents of the city playing in a game officiate that game, or a former player officiate his former teams game etc.... Nah, these things would make games much harder to rig.

6. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator Staff Member

Do you by any chance actually own stock in tin foil?

JB, infantrycak and thunderkyss like this.
  7. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

The Saints vs Rams game speaks for itself.

8. Mollywhopper

Probably depends on what you go into a game hoping to hear..

9. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I was rooting for the Rams. I like how they do business.

The fix was in. The proof was there, go back and re-watch the whole game. Lots of head scratching calls.

10. Mollywhopper

Maybe it's just your definition of proof..

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

He gets proof and guess mixed up a lot. But he is lucky with his guesses, always favor his point.

12. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Maybe it's what the entire football world saw.

What more proof do you need and why do you think the old guard owners are so resistant to change even though the need for change is obvious.

13. Mollywhopper

I've yet to have seen any actual proof..

14. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

And you never will.

You gotta understand, if there is a hole in what is known on intent, or even if there isn't, if the result is not positive there was an evil intent of some sort. Can't be the ref made a mistake - the game was fixed. Can't be the Mcnair's (like 20 or so owners during their tenure) tried but the NFL is tough - no they have to be cheap & don't really care. It will all make sense then.

15. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Rams got lucky in that game in NOLA and made it to the SB but their QB is overrated thus the whole team is overrated.
    The Saints would have made the SB much more interesting.

16. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Fixed or lucky?

Go back and watch the timing of some of the penalties in that game.

17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Remember the Renfro catch?

I've been watching the National Fixed League for yrs.

The Texans model that they've had since Casserly left town will never win a SB.

18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

If this isn't proof I dont know what is. What proof to you need? One of the refs cashing in at a window in Vegas wouldn't be enough for you.

I bet you would be singing a different tune if that had happened to the Texans.

19. Mollywhopper

What proof? A bad call and where some refs have lived? Just say it out loud for a second and let the ridiculous sink in.

And no, I wouldn't think it if it were the Texans as I don't have a hard on to blame everything on the refs or any other excuses.

infantrycak likes this.
  20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Go back and re-watch the entire game. That call wasn't the only one that kept the score close.