Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

Speculation, but no such reports. I've received some reliable feedback that many on the present roster are somewhat upset over the Clowney impasse. Whether right or wrong, they feel that Clowney should get his contract. There is concern that if a Suh or a McCoy were to be brought in, the locker room could be "disrupted." The Texans are walking a fine line.

Probably a better way to express this, but isn't this what some would call letting the 'inmates run the asylum?'

Maybe a simplistic way of looking at things but wouldn't players be served best by minding their own business/jobs and letting management do their job.

When players leave for better offers they are often quick to remind that it's just a business.

Teams being a 'family' went out the window a long time ago.

:coffee:

Probably a better way to express this, but isn't this what some would call letting the 'inmates run the asylum?'

Maybe a simplistic way of looking at things but wouldn't players be served best by minding their own business/jobs and letting management do their job.

When players leave for better offers they are often quick to remind that it's just a business.

Teams being a 'family' went out the window a long time ago.

:coffee:

Players always want payers to get more, good of the team be hanged

Speculation, but no such reports. I've received some reliable feedback that many on the present roster are somewhat upset over the Clowney impasse. Whether right or wrong, they feel that Clowney should get his contract. There is concern that if a Suh or a McCoy were to be brought in, the locker room could be "disrupted." The Texans are walking a fine line.
Of course you know more, far more about the long-term medical concerns of JD than the rest of us and therefor the reluctance of GM Gaine to make a multiyear commitment
of significant cap resources to Clowney.
I dunno wonder just how much influence if any the sentiment of the locker room, which of course we'd expect to be on Clowney's side, would have on managements negotiations with Clowney ?

Patriots' luck with TEs hasn't been so lucky.............Ben Watson has been suspended for 4 games.

Watson himself made the announcement on Facebook, saying that he began using testosterone this offseason at a doctor’s suggestion. Testosterone is a legal prescription medication but is also a banned substance under the NFL’s PED policy, and Watson says he is suspended for using it briefly after he retired from the Saints and before he came out of retirement with the Patriots.

“After my contract expired last March I told my doctors I was finished playing, went through a series of medical tests and was prescribed Bio Identical Testosterone Cypionate to assist in healing my body and mind,” Watson wrote. “On March 29, nine days after I started therapy, I was randomly tested under our substance policies. I complied out of habit, never thinking in that moment I’d want to come back. In late April, some clubs expressed interest in me playing and after much deliberation and prayer, I decided I wanted to return. Considering myself previously retired, I had forgotten all about my test in March until I got a letter on May 3rd saying my results were positive. I was devastated and for obvious reasons did not want to proceed. At that point I knew that my decision to return to play would include a four game suspension and I immediately discussed this new development with the clubs. Ultimately I decided to pursue another year and on May 9 the Patriots offered me a contract in spite of these circumstances.”

Watson says he realizes the rules are what they are and accepts the suspension.

“I respect the regulations that have been collectively bargained to promote fairness on the field of play and accept the discipline associated with my infraction,” Watson said.

The 38-year-old Watson can still participate in all offseason work but will have to be away from the team for the first four weeks of the regular season. His first game back on the field will be October 6 at Washington.

Former NFL players die at a faster rate than other professional athletes, study finds

By SHRADDHA CHAKRADHAR @scchak

MAY 24, 2019

Anew study of more than 6,000 former professional athletes found that National Football League players died at a rate that was almost 1.3 times higher than Major League Baseball players. It’s the first to compare mortality rates between two groups of professional athletes; previous studies that compared professional athletes to the general population showed a lower risk of death for football players.

The findings, published Friday in JAMA Network Open, come amid growing concern about head trauma among current and former NFL players and their risk of developing the neurodegenerative disease CTE, or chronic traumatic encephalopathy. The NFL players died of neurodegenerative diseases at a higher rate than MLB players, though both groups of athletes were more likely to die of cardiovascular disease than brain diseases.

“There is so much press and buzz around the neurocognitive stuff, and that was one of the important things to come out of this,” said Marc Weisskopf, an environmental epidemiologist at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and a study co-author. “But for cardiovascular disease, the number was higher, and since it’s more common, let’s not lose sight of the fact that it’s a very important issue.”

Previous studies looking at mortality rates among NFL players compared them to the general population and found that NFL players tended to fare better. One study from 2012 found that NFL players had overall decreased mortality as well as lower cardiovascular mortality than the general population. Another paper that year also found that overall mortality in NFL players was reduced, but did find that they had rates of neurodegenerative mortality that were three times higher than the general population.

But the limitation with these and other previous studies that compared professional athletes to the general population, experts say, is that they contained a “healthy worker bias.” Employed people already tend to be healthier than the unemployed, but as professional athletes, this effect is likely to be enhanced when it comes to NFL players versus the general population, explained Kathleen Bachynski, a public health and sports safety researcher at NYU Langone Medical Center.

“That can muddy things up,” she said.

With the new study, there’s a more apples-to-apples comparison — two kinds of elite athletes — helping to eliminate such a bias.

“I think that’s kind of the crux of why they chose to go with another comparable, elite, athlete group,” Bachynski said.

Researchers looked at data from the NFL cohort, which was a database constructed by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health in the ’90s and contains information on former players who participated in at least five seasons between 1959 and 1988. Weisskopf and colleagues then generated a comparable dataset for former MLB players. By then matching the 3,419 NFL players and the 2,708 MLB players to the National Death Index — which contains records and causes of deaths of U.S. citizens — the researchers compared mortality rates between the two groups.

The new work found that NFL players were about 2.5 times more likely to die from cardiovascular disease and almost three times more likely than MLB players to die from neurodegenerative disease.

“That ‘three times more likely’ sounds dramatic, but we have to think in terms of absolutes,” Weisskopf said.

And to get at the absolutes — or what that rate translates to in actual numbers — Weisskopf and others calculated what the number of deaths from each disease type would have been had they followed 1,000 players from either sport until the age of 75. In that case, 77 more football players would have died from cardiovascular disease, while 11 more would have died from neurodegenerative conditions, and 21 more would have died overall.

“Obviously we want to eliminate any difference, but it’s important to keep in mind that that is a small number,” Weisskopf said of the deaths from neurodegenerative disease.

Among the NFL players in the study, far more died of cardiovascular disease than neurodegenerative disease: nearly 500 versus 39, respectively.

“Cardiovascular issues are things we know we can do something about,” Weisskopf said. “If that message isn’t getting out there, we want to make sure people can get that.”

The Rest of the Story

Bart Starr is still the NFL’s all-time most efficient postseason passer
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 28, 2019, 5:32 AM EDT

Flip through the NFL Record & Fact Book and you’ll quickly discover that the modern passing era has wiped out the records of the great quarterbacks of the past: Whether you look at the records for yards or completions or completion percentage or passer rating or touchdown passes or fewest interceptions, you’ll find nothing but recent names. With one major exception.

The record for the highest postseason passer rating still belongs to Bart Starr, who played his last postseason game more than 50 years ago.

Should Raiders have given Richie Incognito his latest second chance?
May 29, 2019, 11:35 AM EDT

The Raiders are flirting with acquiring a shiner on their good eye.

The team’s latest calculated risk comes from the decision to sign offensive lineman Richie Incognito, giving him at least his second second chance. Or maybe it’s his third second chance. Or maybe it’s his second third chance.

Incognito’s behavior has resulted in not one but two full seasons away from football, one coming in 2014 following the Jonathan Martin incident in Miami and one coming in 2018 after he threatened to shoot up a funeral home — and had the weaponry in his vehicle to do it.

THE REST OF THE STORY

Hold on..........McCoy is evidently not happy with the Browns' or Ravens' enough to sign yet...........he is now scheduled to visit the Panthers this week.

Reactions: JB
Hold on..........McCoy is evidently not happy with the Browns' or Ravens' enough to sign yet...........he is now scheduled to visit the Panthers this week.

Cloak, you are hereby summoned to the "2019 Astros - Take it Back" thread in the Baseball forum for an explanation of Correa's rib fracture apparently sustained during a massage.

Cloak, you are hereby summoned to the "2019 Astros - Take it Back" thread in the Baseball forum for an explanation of Correa's rib fracture apparently sustained during a massage.
yeah, I'd sure as heck like to know how one gets cracked ribs during a massage.

Don't see how Incognito avoids another suspension.

****************************************************************************************

Incognito pleaded guilty to second Aug. incident

May 29, 2019
  • ESPN
According to court documents obtained by ESPN, Incognito agreed to plead guilty to charges of criminal damage and disorderly conduct -- both Class 1 misdemeanors in Arizona -- after he punched a fist-sized hole in a wall in the living room and ripped a security system's control box off the wall during an argument with his grandmother at her house on Aug. 19, 2018.

The police report described Incognito as "enraged" and that he blamed his grandmother for the death of his father, which he had announced on Twitter the day before. A domestic violence charge was removed when a plea agreement was reached on April 1.

Incognito was ordered to take 10 weekly anger-management sessions and pay a $569 fine. He also was given one year of unsupervised probation per terms of the agreement. He was ordered to stay away from his grandmother's home, stay on his medication, avoid alcohol, not possess firearms and write a letter of apology.

Incognito also pleaded guilty last month in Scottsdale, Arizona, to a misdemeanor disorderly conduct charge stemming from an arrest in August. Two days after the fight with his grandmother, Incognito was arrested in Scottsdale after making threats at a funeral home where his father's body was being held.
THE REST OF THE STORY

Packers HC LaFleur ruptured his Achilles playing basketball. Later in OTAs, he will be seen..................
crutches.gif~c200

Competition Committee wants Hail Mary to be “survival of the fittest”
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 1, 2019, 7:24 AM EDT

As people in and around the NFL continue to debate how instant replay should be used on pass interference, Competition Committee Chairman Rich McKay is making clear that the Hail Mary should not be an opportunity to draw ticky-tack flags.

McKay said it has always been assumed that there will be more bumping and jostling in the end zone on a Hail Mary than would be allowed on any other play, and using instant replay to look for pass interference should not result in penalties that wouldn’t otherwise have been called.

“Remember, in that play, officiating-wise, the philosophy has been since I have been in the League, it is survival of the fittest,” McKay said. “Everybody jumps. Everybody is shoving, everybody is trying to get the ball, knock it down, or catch it. We tell the officials, make sure you see if anybody gets pulled down or anybody gets dragged down, that is pass interference. Otherwise, it is a different play than any other play we have because there are multiple receivers and multiple defensive players in a common area.”

McKay said that one of the consequences of reviewing pass interference is going to be that the Hail Mary becomes a fundamentally different play.

“I’d hate to see replay do this to us but, you could say we are just going to play it differently,” McKay said. “And they are going to have to play it differently. That would be replay again impacting the game. But, the way the game has been played and the way that play has been played and the way that play has been officiated has been different because of the nature of the play.”

When the NFL changes rules in the offseason, it sometimes results in unintended consequences the following season. We’re still not sure how a Hail Mary exception would play out, but suffice to say that it’s going to make things different.

Rueben Foster indeed was found to have a multiligament injury during the surgery he underwent Tuesday. He sustained an ACL and LCL rupture which is a serious combination as it is commonly associated with additional meniscus and articular cartilage damage. One good finding was that there was no nerve damage. He will be very fortunate to make it back for the 2020 season. And if he does, as a linebacker, I would not put money on his return to anywhere close to pre-injury level.

A very recent Nov 2018 article "Return to Play After Multiligament Knee Injuries in National Football League Athletes" published in Sports Health: A Multidisciplinary Approach concluded that ~55% of NFL players with ACL/LCL ruptures will return to play from such an injury........and for those that do, ~18.5% return to prior performance level.

Competition Committee wants Hail Mary to be “survival of the fittest”
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 1, 2019, 7:24 AM EDT

As people in and around the NFL continue to debate how instant replay should be used on pass interference, Competition Committee Chairman Rich McKay is making clear that the Hail Mary should not be an opportunity to draw ticky-tack flags.

McKay said it has always been assumed that there will be more bumping and jostling in the end zone on a Hail Mary than would be allowed on any other play, and using instant replay to look for pass interference should not result in penalties that wouldn’t otherwise have been called.

“Remember, in that play, officiating-wise, the philosophy has been since I have been in the League, it is survival of the fittest,” McKay said. “Everybody jumps. Everybody is shoving, everybody is trying to get the ball, knock it down, or catch it. We tell the officials, make sure you see if anybody gets pulled down or anybody gets dragged down, that is pass interference. Otherwise, it is a different play than any other play we have because there are multiple receivers and multiple defensive players in a common area.”

McKay said that one of the consequences of reviewing pass interference is going to be that the Hail Mary becomes a fundamentally different play.

“I’d hate to see replay do this to us but, you could say we are just going to play it differently,” McKay said. “And they are going to have to play it differently. That would be replay again impacting the game. But, the way the game has been played and the way that play has been played and the way that play has been officiated has been different because of the nature of the play.”

When the NFL changes rules in the offseason, it sometimes results in unintended consequences the following season. We’re still not sure how a Hail Mary exception would play out, but suffice to say that it’s going to make things different.

I would take my chances on the Hail Mary if it stopped the obvious rigging of games like what happened in New Orleans.

Hey Rich, how about not letting residents of the city playing in a game officiate that game, or a former player officiate his former teams game etc.... Nah, these things would make games much harder to rig.

I would take my chances on the Hail Mary if it stopped the obvious rigging of games like what happened in New Orleans.

Hey Rich, how about not letting residents of the city playing in a game officiate that game, or a former player officiate his former teams game etc.... Nah, these things would make games much harder to rig.

Do you by any chance actually own stock in tin foil?

I've yet to have seen any actual proof..

And you never will.

You gotta understand, if there is a hole in what is known on intent, or even if there isn't, if the result is not positive there was an evil intent of some sort. Can't be the ref made a mistake - the game was fixed. Can't be the Mcnair's (like 20 or so owners during their tenure) tried but the NFL is tough - no they have to be cheap & don't really care. It will all make sense then.

I was rooting for the Rams. I like how they do business.

The fix was in. The proof was there, go back and re-watch the whole game. Lots of head scratching calls.
Rams got lucky in that game in NOLA and made it to the SB but their QB is overrated thus the whole team is overrated.
The Saints would have made the SB much more interesting.

Rams got lucky in that game in NOLA and made it to the SB but their QB is overrated thus the whole team is overrated.
The Saints would have made the SB much more interesting.

Fixed or lucky?

Go back and watch the timing of some of the penalties in that game.

And you never will.

You gotta understand, if there is a hole in what is known on intent, or even if there isn't, if the result is not positive there was an evil intent of some sort. Can't be the ref made a mistake - the game was fixed. Can't be the Mcnair's (like 20 or so owners durimg their tenure) tried but the NFL is tough, no they have to be cheap & don't really care. It will all make sense then.

Remember the Renfro catch?

I've been watching the National Fixed League for yrs.

The Texans model that they've had since Casserly left town will never win a SB.

I've yet to have seen any actual proof..

If this isn't proof I dont know what is. What proof to you need? One of the refs cashing in at a window in Vegas wouldn't be enough for you.

I bet you would be singing a different tune if that had happened to the Texans.

If this isn't proof I dont know what is. What proof to you need? One of the refs cashing in at a window in Vegas wouldn't be enough for you.

I bet you would be singing a different tune if that had happened to the Texans.

What proof? A bad call and where some refs have lived? Just say it out loud for a second and let the ridiculous sink in.

And no, I wouldn't think it if it were the Texans as I don't have a hard on to blame everything on the refs or any other excuses.

What proof? A bad call and where some refs have lived? Just say it out loud for a second and let the ridiculous sink in.

And no, I wouldn't think it if it were the Texans as I don't have a hard on to blame everything on the refs or any other excuses.

Go back and re-watch the entire game. That call wasn't the only one that kept the score close.

Go back and re-watch the entire game. That call wasn't the only one that kept the score close.

I'll say the same thing I've told women I've dated - if you go around looking hard enough for something then eventually you'll definitely find something, even if there ain't really that something.

I'll say the same thing I've told women I've dated - if you go around looking hard enough for something then eventually you'll definitely find something, even if there ain't really that something.

Have millions of dollars ridden on these decisions?

What would have to happen next yr to make you change your mind?

Have millions of dollars ridden on these decisions?

What would have to happen next yr to make you change your mind?

Not for the NFL.

How about some actual evidence of malfeasance like a ref betting on the game, getting paid, an insider coming forward. Anything other than just a bad call.

Justin Reid

Dunno and didn't say it was crooked refs or incompetent refs or whatever, the point is the Rams were the beneficiaries of the call and it got them into the SB.

The NFL has been this way for yrs

Renfro

Raiders vs Pats in the 70's.

Denver comeback when Sean Jones got tackled right in front of the ref on the Broncos GW drive.

It is what it is, you have to accept it and move on. But I dont kid myself.

I heard a very interesting take a few weeis back that says there is a zeitgeist in the NFL currently saying that you build a successful defence from the back forwards, great safety play allows shutdown corner play, which gives time for the pass rush to get where it needs to be whilst maintaining gap integrity.

I wonder if this plays its part in the Texans' Clowney negotiations, they certainly have shown a willingness to pay for safeties of late.

I wonder what others' thoughts on this are, its a big leap from the old build through the trenches mantra.

Back