Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Kubiak: Keep or Fire?

Should Kubiak get one more year?

• Total voters
I will go on the record to yell put up or shut up next year. I think we have all the pieces and will add some and will dominate next year but if we all use the "pink Soap" then we will be 3 more years till we do anything.
That being said if Kubiak comes out next year and pushes us to the playoffs then does he stay longer or does he take a bath with the soap droppers.

So when you see soap, the first thing that pops in your head is "prison rape"? Hmm.....that says more about you than anybody else here, or are you rehashing past experiences here or what? :backsout:

Anyways now that we've waded through your sick fantasies, why on earth would it take another coach 3 years to get this team where everybody wants them to go? (which lets be honest here, the bar isn't set very high. We're asking for a winning season, a playoff appearance, and god forbid...maybe even some good divisional wins). Even you yourself said you would call for Kubiak's head if he doesn't get us over the hump next year, so maybe other people are just ahead of the curve here.... oh yeah, that's right....we can't be, because we aren't "true fans" and we don't cheer loud enough. I mean that's the reason why this team can't win more than 8 games right, the home crowd leaves too early. :gun: Keep shaking those pom poms, it's bound to make Kubiak smarter one day. Every time a cowbell rings, a wanna-be head coach gets his wings.

Last edited:
It's pretty funny to see how Jeff Fisher is proof that Gary Kubiak can get it done in year 5 (and beyond!).

When I put those two guys side-by-side, the difference in GAMEDAY coaching is hilarious.

Gary has gotten his ass kicked by his divisional opponents. He's a joke. His opposing divisional coaches hope that Kubiak stays the coach for a long, long time. Kubiak is good medicine for their ailing teams.

Does the Keep Hope Alive! tour have an official theme song yet?

I suggest this gem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8arvEzHsA8

:brando:

You do understand that (a) Kubiak officially handed off playcalling duties to Kyle at the end of last season, (b) it was lauded and celebrated in the manner of "Kubiak is all grown up, he's handed off the playcalling duties, and this year (2009) he's going to be a big boy head coach," and (c) early on in THIS season it has been on record that Kubiak has taken playcalling duties BACK from Kyle.

Kubiak has stuck his nose right back into the playbook on gameday.

He's panicking, and he's trying to save himself.

Kyle hasn't done anything because Gary Kubiak let him have the reins for all of about 1 game in 2009.

Gary Kubiak has got all of you guys whipped. LOL.

Not me, bro. I was impressed late last year when Kyle got playcalling, because I THOUGHT Gary would grow up. It actually made me renew my season tickets. But, it was clear early on that he did not.

Not me, bro. I was impressed late last year when Kyle got playcalling, because I THOUGHT Gary would grow up. It actually made me renew my season tickets. But, it was clear early on that he did not.

Kyle got shut out, and Kubes had to take his Denny's menu back.
:chef:

Good lord. John McClain wrote a column about how Andre has flourished under Kubiak (which is bs), and people on other message boards are jumping on board, agreeing with him.

You have got to be kidding me. Andre has been a baller since the day he moved to Houston, and, suddenly, Kubiak created him????

No words.

Good lord. John McClain wrote a column about how Andre has flourished under Kubiak (which is bs), and people on other message boards are jumping on board, agreeing with him.

You have got to be kidding me. Andre has been a baller since the day he moved to Houston, and, suddenly, Kubiak created him????

No words.

Andre has flourished with Matt Schaub, you know a QB who can progress through his reads and actually passes downfield. Andre would put up great #s in any offensive system worth a damn. :rolleyes:

I will give Kubiak props here though........He does do a GREAT JOB at moving Andre around, but I'm sure most offensive minds would be able to do much of the same with a elite WO.

Frank Bush, in just his first year as our d-coord, is out-coaching Gary Kubiak's offense when it comes down to gameday strategy AND the implementation of the strategy.

I never dreamed the defense would garner my praise, and the offense would fail me so badly. But it is what it is.

David Carr hit his ceiling once defenses knew to throw exotic blitzes and stack 10 guys in the box as if they were blitzing all 10 of them and running only one safety back to cover our 4 receivers. Result: Drop back to a zone and either pick off the pass as David stumbled over himself in the face of a phantom blitz, or watch David run out of bounds and eat a needless sack.

Kubiak is also hitting that ceiling, TK.

You can see it. You don't want to see it, but it's there.

I agree with most of your post. Frank Bush's defense, past the first three games, has been pretty spectacular. However, I have to cut the offense some slack because of injuries. OD was a huge loss to this offense, and has taken them several games to adjust. Add to that the OL injuries, and the fact that they have still been outstanding, and I'd say you have to give this staff another year. I keep going back and forth on whether or not to keep Kubiak, but I think injuries considered, he needs one more season. I think he has the potential to be a top tier HC, but he needs to learn from his mistakes as Belichick did. I just hope he does it as OUR head coach, and not with another team.

Jordan leaves for two years to play baseball, the Rockets win the championship. Jordan comes back and the Rockets don't win the championship anymore.

Just saying..........

That's because we couldn't get past Utah in the Western Conference finals.

I still believe this team is the team built to take down the Colts. & we will. It just didn't happen this year.

This year, I think is the first year we got our guys playing good football. They just need to learn to put it together for 4 quarters.

I think that will happen next year.

Then we'll dominate.

Unfortunately, I think that's been the battle cry for some time. Kubiak started out well in the division at 3-3. What's happened since then? (Question not necessarily directed at you.)

Capers did just about the same division record in the same amount of time with, what I think we can all agree, less quality players.

I thought the playcalling was better late in the season last year, too.

But we started off with a whimper against the Jets and POOF! back to the old way of doing things. Which is sad, because the whole t-e-a-m looked shell-shocked out there. Not just the offense.

I still believe this team is the team built to take down the Colts. & we will. It just didn't happen this year.

This year, I think is the first year we got our guys playing good football. They just need to learn to put it together for 4 quarters.

I think that will happen next year.

Then we'll dominate.

Deja Vu...read posts like this one last year!

Deja Vu...read posts like this one last year!

th_kubiak_annie.jpg

Tomorrow, Tomorrow! I'll love ya', Tomorrow!

You're always a day away!!!!

LOL.

We just need one more year....:gun:

How about me??

Signed

7-9, 8-8, 8-8, 8-8, Jeff Fisher

Folks, it's not so much the fact that we've had 4 seasons of mediocrity with Kubiak, but more in HOW we've gone about those 4 seasons WITH the talent we have. Suffice it to say that after 4 seasons we still don't utilize our talent effectively and we don't manage games well.

I still believe this team is the team built to take down the Colts.

Seems more like a team that is built to mirror the Colts to me. Only we dont have a Manning at QB.

If you want to build a team to beat the Colts you needs a power running game to eat up the clock and keep the ball away from Manning and a defense that can get after the QB. We have neither.

What some people don't understand about seeing poor abilities in a coach is how we lose. It's the melt downs, it's the horrible game managing, it's the "quit" that I've seen in Gary in years one and two when he would run the ball on 3rd and 12 towards the end of the game when we were still in it to where we would be handing a game over, it's the inability to search for another kicker, it's the consistent stubborness of sticking with Chris BRown at RB no matter how awful the guy is.

I just can't trust the guy. Not at all. It seems like many fans have the bar set so low for expectations that they don't know what success is. It's not about just having a coach that can get you into the playoffs. It's about having a HC that can consistently get there and find ways to win as well in the playoffs. If Gary stays, what good will it be if he gets to the playoffs finally and then has these same coaching blunders where we could have won, and he mismanages a game like he so frequently does or stubbornly sticks with a bad player that ends up killing us in a playoff game. I just can't trust this guy as a HC. I can't feel confidence in this guy because he consistently shows me that he doesn't learn from past mistakes. He'll repeat them over and over. That is the only thing that I can trust about him, is that he'll do something to damage the team's chances of winning a game by having the wrong RB in there, or forgetting to call a timeout at the right time, or calling a HB pass play at a horrible time with the worse guy to do it. Even if Gary could get us in the playoffs, he isn't the kind of coach that could win in the post season. He struggles to get past 8-8 and constantly loses the big divisional games that mean a lot.

What some people don't understand about seeing poor abilities in a coach is how we lose. It's the melt downs, it's the horrible game managing, it's the "quit" that I've seen in Gary in years one and two when he would run the ball on 3rd and 12 towards the end of the game when we were still in it to where we would be handing a game over, it's the inability to search for another kicker, it's the consistent stubborness of sticking with Chris BRown at RB no matter how awful the guy is.

I just can't trust the guy. Not at all. It seems like many fans have the bar set so low for expectations that they don't know what success is. It's not about just having a coach that can get you into the playoffs. It's about having a HC that can consistently get there and find ways to win as well in the playoffs. If Gary stays, what good will it be if he gets to the playoffs finally and then has these same coaching blunders where we could have won, and he mismanages a game like he so frequently does or stubbornly sticks with a bad player that ends up killing us in a playoff game. I just can't trust this guy as a HC. I can't feel confidence in this guy because he consistently shows me that he doesn't learn from past mistakes. He'll repeat them over and over. That is the only thing that I can trust about him, is that he'll do something to damage the team's chances of winning a game by having the wrong RB in there, or forgetting to call a timeout at the right time, or calling a HB pass play at a horrible time with the worse guy to do it. Even if Gary could get us in the playoffs, he isn't the kind of coach that could win in the post season. He struggles to get past 8-8 and constantly loses the big divisional games that mean a lot.

Co-sign. It took me awhile to see the same thing. Gary's a good guy, and
it's hard not to like him. Bum Phillips praises him, and Mcclain preaches
what Bum says on the radio like Gospel. However, I see now that if
Capers can get 7-9 with the crap he had, Kubiak has had an embarrassment
of riches in talent compared to the old regime, and the best we can do
is STRUGGLE to REACH 8-8.

I'm all "one-more-year'd" out.

excellent explanation of your skeptical prognosis in regards to Coach Kubiak. this is what happens when you build your franchise using first time coaches & managers, but I'll take the accepted risk moving forward, much better to me than some washed up retread :ant:

excellent explanation of your skeptical prognosis in regards to Coach Kubiak. this is what happens when you build your franchise using first time coaches & managers, but I'll take the accepted risk moving forward, much better to me than some washed up retread :ant:

Well this is what really worries me in the long run. What if Kubes made it to the post season this year or somehow gets there next year? What will his followers and Mcnair be saying to themselves? They'll be acting like they knew it all along and that Kubes somehow redeemed himself and proved everyone wrong since he finally made it to the playoffs. Then Kubes will get this great extension and to many fans with such low expectations, they'll think the guy is even more of a GOD just because he got to the playoffs finally. But then when we're matched up against some great team like the Colts or the Pats and play a great game where we can win it, and Kubes makes one of these horrible calls or plays not to lose where we fall short, then you're kicking yourself saying good god if only we had a better coach, but since ole Gary finally got into the playoffs people will be saying "wait until next year" because now Gary will be playoff tested and will be a better post season HC. Now he's been in that situation and that environment and he'll know better. :gun:

I think a lot of people have this view now that once the Texans are in the playoffs that it will be like a SB for us, since we've been so bad and since it's been 8 long years now. But then you've got the problem of wondering can this HC be a big time great HC that can not only get to the post season, BUT IS HE A GUY THAT CAN WIN IN THE POST SEASON and not just the regular season? There have been many coaches that have failed in this regard and there have been a lot of poor coaches that had good talent and got to the post season on talent alone, but really weren't the greatest of HC's.

I just think the expectations have been set so low now days for this franchise by a lot of fans and the owner as well, and it's going to be really really hard to ever shake that stigma away at this point.

Well this is what really worries me in the long run. What if Kubes made it to the post season this year or somehow gets there next year? What will his followers and Mcnair be saying to themselves? They'll be acting like they knew it all along and that Kubes somehow redeemed himself and proved everyone wrong since he finally made it to the playoffs. Then Kubes will get this great extension and to many fans with such low expectations, they'll think the guy is even more of a GOD just because he got to the playoffs finally. But then when we're matched up against some great team like the Colts or the Pats and play a great game where we can win it, and Kubes makes one of these horrible calls or plays not to lose where we fall short, then you're kicking yourself saying good god if only we had a better coach, but since ole Gary finally got into the playoffs people will be saying "wait until next year" because now Gary will be playoff tested and will be a better post season HC. Now he's been in that situation and that environment and he'll know better. :gun:

I think a lot of people have this view now that once the Texans are in the playoffs that it will be like a SB for us, since we've been so bad and since it's been 8 long years now. But then you've got the problem of wondering can this HC be a big time great HC that can not only get to the post season, BUT IS HE A GUY THAT CAN WIN IN THE POST SEASON and not just the regular season? There have been many coaches that have failed in this regard and there have been a lot of poor coaches that had good talent and got to the post season on talent alone, but really weren't the greatest of HC's.

I just think the expectations have been set so low now days for this franchise by a lot of fans and the owner as well, and it's going to be really really hard to ever shake that stigma away at this point.

Rep'd....can't spread yada yada.

I guess I'm at the point of wondering if he can win big during the REGULAR SEASON.

I agree on how low the bar is set here. I think I've scaffolded my expectations with Gary here. You know ok with what he did the first year, was pleased with the first 8-8 season, despite some question marks (Browns loss anyone?). Next year was a race to get back to 8-8 and looked like with some staff changes and the weak schedule this year the bar should've been raised to playoffs or bust.

I don't think that's outrageous as some suggest.

It's just like the virgin who falls in love with their "first." After a while,
you'll discover what you've been feenin' over so long ain't all that special.

I'm starting to become a member of the "Keep Kubiak" campaign for another year, but i'm keeping the pink soap because Kubiak always wins when he's trule desperate for one and all year next year will be a desperate situation if he makes it to next season.

It's just like the virgin who falls in love with their "first." After a while,
you'll discover what you've been feenin' over so long ain't all that special.

Well I sort of felt the same way about Jack Pardee. Never liked the guy at all. He always seemed to passive and soft and didn't have that mentality of imposing his team's will against the opposition to make them want to quit. The Oilers had so much talent though and they could easily squeak themselves into the playoffs. Those Oilers teams were stacked. Even with Pardee I felt that we could reach a SB though, because we were that talented. However I was proven wrong by the worst playoff loss in the history of the NFL. Coaching in the post season is an entirely different animal than it is in the regular season. You've got to have a HC that knows how to "sieze the moment" and make his players sieze the moment and really ride that momentum or take the other team's momentum away and again "make them quit and lose all their confidence."

If I see a HC make as many mistakes as I've seen Gary make over and over that has killed as many games as it has over the last two seasons, then I can only wonder what he would or wouldn't do in a tight post season game that could break the hearts of fans where we would lose a game we should have won. Look at how angry you get now when these games get blown, just imagine how distraught you would feel if this happened in the playoff game? I don't ever want to get that feeling again. I've had it before, and it's awful. I had to take a nice long break from football after that loss to the Bills because I was way to emotionally invested in the Oilers at the time and that loss still haunts me until this day.

I'm starting to become a member of the "Keep Kubiak" campaign for another year, but i'm keeping the pink soap because Kubiak always wins when he's trule desperate for one and all year next year will be a desperate situation if he makes it to next season.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see how any of that makes any sense. I don't understand the logic behind that? You think that he does real well at coaching and can win when he's truly desperate, but don't you ask yourself the question of why he did he have to get into a "desperate" situation in the first place? Does a good HC consistently find himself in a desperate situation? And I don't see how next season would be any more of a desperate situation than what this season was when he was somewhat on the hot seat this year and being in year 4 without a post season visit usually gets most coaches fired. I really don't see how next season's situation would be any different than this season. And going back to the desperate situation, obviously those wins you're talking about that he gets when he's desperate for them are still meaningless wins that don't get us into the playoffs and don't really matter. I just don't see why you would want to keep Kubiak based off of what you just said.

not low expectations, realistic expectations.

Gary is a players coach, they are the ones who make plays not coaches. why can't they execute a simple gameplan? if you beleive adversity builds character then the wait will be worth it, if you don't then feel free to unhitch your little red wagon to the next caravan coming along :truck:

I'm sorry, but I just don't see how any of that makes any sense. I don't understand the logic behind that? You think that he does real well at coaching and can win when he's truly desperate, but don't you ask yourself the question of why he did he have to get into a "desperate" situation in the first place? Does a good HC consistently find himself in a desperate situation? And I don't see how next season would be any more of a desperate situation than what this season was when he was somewhat on the hot seat this year and being in year 4 without a post season visit usually gets most coaches fired. I really don't see how next season's situation would be any different than this season. And going back to the desperate situation, obviously those wins you're talking about that he gets when he's desperate for them are still meaningless wins that don't get us into the playoffs and don't really matter. I just don't see why you would want to keep Kubiak based off of what you just said.

Tex, it's like you're reading my mind. Someone said the other day, "Yeah, Kubiak is a bad coach, and he can't win games when it counts, but I think we should bring him back."

It.Made.No.Sense.

I asked that person to explain further and he kind of hemmed and hawed and didn't really say anything.

You want to talk about pressure? If Kubiak returns next year he may want to think about hiring a bodyguard and keeping a shrink around, because if he comes out struggling, his life will be HELL. That haggard, beat down look he had after the four division losses will be nothing compared to what he will go through if they start slow next year.

I think the only way Kubiak is NOT the coach next year is he loses the next three games. I truly believe we'll have one more year of Kubiak because we will win at least two of the next three. Some will like that, some won't, but I believe it's what's coming.

not low expectations, realistic expectations.

So are you saying that the Texans never had any chance at making the playoffs this year?

Gary is a players coach, they are the ones who make plays not coaches. why can't they execute a simple gameplan?

Maybe because the right players aren't always in the game to make those plays? Maybe because the players that Gary chooses to be out there aren't prepared enough for those situations? The Texans have executed a simple game plan in many games actually where one or two players made bone headed plays or screwed themselves and the team. But for the most part the players executed a simple game plan and the coach made some bad calls on personel and what play to call at the right time.

And another reason why they maybe can't execute a simple game plan is because they don't want to badly enough and the other team wants to execute "their gameplan" a little more than our players do. That's also where coaching comes in. Your hC has to be able to make players want it more than the other team each week. Gary has never been good at that. It's been one of his worst inefficiencies as a HC is how his players never seem to play with a sense of urgency.

if you beleive adversity builds character then the wait will be worth it, if you don't then feel free to unhitch your little red wagon to the next caravan coming along :truck:

This part right here is saying absolutely nothing.

It keeps going and going and going...

Exactly, it seems a couple of posters might think they haven't made their point clear enough when it's quite obvious they have.

I guess I better get used to it, cuz I reckon it'll be beat to death over the off season all over again.

Maybe we'll get lucky and have a Favre watch again

:deadhorse

Basically it's my way of dealing with this situation. We all know Bobby is not going to fire Kubiak, and i think he gets another year whether we lose the rest of our games or not. And it's clearly obvious that most of the players want to keep him, and the last thing i want is disgruntled players because their coach left, and then they might want out as well. It really is a mess of a situation, and for now we better get used to seeing the Denny's menu for at least another year.

Basically it's my way of dealing with this situation. We all know Bobby is not going to fire Kubiak, and i think he gets another year whether we lose the rest of our games or not. And it's clearly obvious that most of the players want to keep him, and the last thing i want is disgruntled players because their coach left, and then they might want out as well. It really is a mess of a situation, and for now we better get used to seeing the Denny's menu for at least another year.

That's about the size of it.

This is 2006 all over again. Back then McNair had a man-crush on David Carr.

Now, he's got a man-crush on Kubiak. The guy gets 90 minutes of McNair's time every Monday and apparently he's used that time pretty well to sell his skills as a head coach to him.

I guess being a nice guy is more important in McNair's book than being effective at your job. Reality will smack him with Kubiak just like it did with Carr.

The only choice we have in the matter is how much we spend.

So are you saying that the Texans never had any chance at making the playoffs this year?

everybody has a chance, just not everybody can make it.

Maybe because the right players aren't always in the game to make those plays? Maybe because the players that Gary chooses to be out there aren't prepared enough for those situations? The Texans have executed a simple game plan in many games actually where one or two players made bone headed plays or screwed themselves and the team. But for the most part the players executed a simple game plan and the coach made some bad calls on personel and what play to call at the right time.

Can't defend some of his decisions & he knows he did wrong the difference between me & you is I beleive he is learning how to win in these situations you on the other hand believe he cannot.

And another reason why they maybe can't execute a simple game plan is because they don't want to badly enough and the other team wants to execute "their gameplan" a little more than our players do. That's also where coaching comes in. Your hC has to be able to make players want it more than the other team each week. Gary has never been good at that. It's been one of his worst inefficiencies as a HC is how his players never seem to play with a sense of urgency.

you must be a sports motivational speaker who can see right through to the crux of the problem & read the players minds. I can't touch that, good luck with your next set of players & coaches so far it would seem you have nothing but negative expereinces.

This part right here is saying absolutely nothing.
I'm looking for a smiley bandwagoner just for you :pursefight:

Don't underestimate "Bobby." He is no fool. He said late last year that 8-8 wasn't good enough, and he said it several times during the pre-season. If we go 8-8, he may pull the plug.

I just got a call from the Texans asking me how things were going with my season tickets. Naturally, I told them I wasn't pleased with the team and was really disappointed and, for the first time, am seriously not renewing. She apologized. She then told me that they've gotten a lot of calls saying the same thing, and all the calls are and complaints are noted.

I asked if the comments ever make it to the big bosses, and she said yes, because they like to know what their ticket holders are thinking (because we pay the bills (my words, not hers) ).

"Bobby" is no fool. He knows he has a PISSED OFF fanbase on his hands. This is probably the angriest we've ever been, and he probably knows the next move is important.

Don't underestimate "Bobby." He is no fool. He said late last year that 8-8 wasn't good enough, and he said it several times during the pre-season. If we go 8-8, he may pull the plug.

I just got a call from the Texans asking me how things were going with my season tickets. Naturally, I told them I wasn't pleased with the team and was really disappointed and, for the first time, am seriously not renewing. She apologized. She then told me that they've gotten a lot of calls saying the same thing, and all the calls are and complaints are noted.

I asked if the comments ever make it to the big bosses, and she said yes, because they like to know what their ticket holders are thinking (because we pay the bills (my words, not hers) ).

"Bobby" is no fool. He knows he has a PISSED OFF fanbase on his hands. This is probably the angriest we've ever been, and he probably knows the next move is important.

If he replaces Kubiak, fine, if he doesn't, fine. What I DO NOT want to see is another newbie head coach. My poor old aging heart just can't take that again.

I'm looking for a smiley bandwagoner just for you :pursefight:

Band wagoner? Because I don't have the optimism that you do for a coach that hasn't gone over 8-8 in 4 years? That's the only drivel you can come up with as a response?

:clap: for you! You're a Joe Texan clone now.

Band wagoner? Because I don't have the optimism that you do for a coach that hasn't gone over 8-8 in 4 years? That's the only drivel you can come up with as a response?

:clap: for you! You're a Joe Texan clone now.

thank you. Joe Texan is a great fan to be included along side him is an honor.

Exactly, it seems a couple of posters might think they haven't made their point clear enough when it's quite obvious they have.

I guess I better get used to it, cuz I reckon it'll be beat to death over the off season all over again.

Or better yet, as the Romo turns.

Wow. I thought the "Fire Him" contigent would win this by a landslide.
...not that I'm disappointed. I still think the close losses are on the players. The coaches put them in position to win but at the critical times the players didn't "answer the bell". Missed kicks, fumbles, no O-line push when we needed a yard, pick sixes... I doubt seriously that the coaching staff promotes those things in practice.

:thinking: *wonders which "couple of posters might think they haven't made their point clear enough"*

Wow. I thought the "Fire Him" contigent would win this by a landslide....not that I'm disappointed. I still think the close losses are on the players. The coaches put them in position to win but at the critical times the players didn't "answer the bell". Missed kicks, fumbles, no O-line push when we needed a yard, pick sixes... I doubt seriously that the coaching staff promotes those things in practice.

We lose Sunday and I bet a new poll would look quite a bit different. ;)

smileybullethole.jpg

On a completely unrelated note:
I really wish folks would STOP calling each other out and defining what a fan is or is not. AS A FAN: You have the right to be an eternal optimist and support anything/everything the franchise does, and by the same token, you have the right to criticize and desire change. Being one or the other - or even both at different times - does NOT make any one inherently a "better fan" than anyone else. People perpetuating that idea seem to be making up for other severe deficiencies in their lives.

smileybullethole.jpg

I really wish folks would STOP calling each other out and defining what a fan is or is not. AS A FAN: You have the right to be an eternal optimist and support anything/everything the franchise does, and by the same token, you have the right to criticize and desire change. Being one or the other - or even both at different times - does NOT make any one inherently a "better fan" than anyone else. People perpetuating that idea seem to be making up for other severe deficiencies in their lives.

QFT. Good post there, DB. :)

smileybullethole.jpg

Great post and you'd think that would be common sense.

That's about the size of it.

This is 2006 all over again. Back then McNair had a man-crush on David Carr.

Now, he's got a man-crush on Kubiak. The guy gets 90 minutes of McNair's time every Monday and apparently he's used that time pretty well to sell his skills as a head coach to him.

I guess being a nice guy is more important in McNair's book than being effective at your job. Reality will smack him with Kubiak just like it did with Carr.

The only choice we have in the matter is how much we spend.

i hear that, but you think at some point McNair is going to get sick and tired of having the losing horse on most Sundays. How many heartbreaking losses does he have to force the Bushes to sit through on Sundays before he starts trying to compete for a championship and not just 8-8.

If he replaces Kubiak, fine, if he doesn't, fine. What I DO NOT want to see is another newbie head coach. My poor old aging heart just can't take that again.

Yeah, hopefully we'll get an experienced coach, like Jimmy Johnson, Wade Phillips, Dave Wanstedt, Mike Ditka, Steve Mariuchi, Mike Martz, or something like that.

Wow. I thought the "Fire Him" contigent would win this by a landslide.
...not that I'm disappointed. I still think the close losses are on the players. The coaches put them in position to win but at the critical times the players didn't "answer the bell". Missed kicks, fumbles, no O-line push when we needed a yard, pick sixes... I doubt seriously that the coaching staff promotes those things in practice.

Don't forget that the games were close, despite the 2 interceptions, or the fumbles, or muffed kick returns.

He still got us within arms reach of winning...

& there's another fumble, missed FG, or INT.

I still think the close losses are on the players. The coaches put them in position to win but at the critical times the players didn't "answer the bell". Missed kicks, fumbles, no O-line push when we needed a yard, pick sixes... I doubt seriously that the coaching staff promotes those things in practice.
I think a case can be made that the players put the team in a position to win, and the coach didn't answer the bell.

It's Kubiak who couldn't come up with a 2nd half scoring play in Week 3 versus the Jags and didn't call Andre Johnson's number once in the 2nd half.

It's Kubiak who allowed the team to come out flat in Week 5 and called that dangerous out pattern that went pick 6.

It's Kubiak who told Schaub to run the 2nd Quarter clock to the 2 minute warning at Indy, which allowed the Colts to take a 2nd look at Moats fumble and challenge.

It's Kubiak that came out of the bye week and decided that a lethargic Chris Brown would be made a focal point of the offense.

It's Kubiak that again ignores Andre Johnson for the likes of Vonta Leach, Chris Brown, and James Casey in the 2nd half of the Week 12 Colts game, and allows Indy to come back from a 17 point deficit.

It's Kubiak that called the infamous "Stagger Gary" Chris Brown halfback pass in JAX.

Were mistakes made by Texans players this season? Plenty. Note that these are the same players that Kubiak & staff coached to avoid these same mistakes from OTAs, through training camp, and throughout the season. Obviously, their message isn't getting through. Maybe when these players see the head coach make mistake after mistake, they feel less accountable?

Regardless, to place all of the blame on the players is a total crock. And while I feel it is completely justified and righteous for Kubiak to get the axe, I certainly do not believe this team should come back intact. I've seen enough of Ok0ye to proclaim him a bust. He's this organization's David Carr. Only starting because of his draft status and the team's reluctance to bring in competition at his position. I think we've seen enough of Chris Myers to know that he is not a legit NFL starter. And Dunta Robinson should have his wish granted and get a new address. Good luck with that next contract.

Yes, the Texans need to gain experience, bring in more talent, and develop leadership on the field. What they don't need is to waste another year trying to develop a proven coordinator like Gary Kubiak into a legitimate NFL head coach. It's not working.

Back