Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kubiak: Keep or Fire?

Should Kubiak get one more year?

• Total voters
I'm typically a shiny, but this has been one pathetic performance too many. I understand Foster fumbled early, but he was doing a lot better than Chris Brown.

I agree with this point: the Kubiak/Smith approach of RB by committee IS an absolute failure. If they so choose to continue down this pathway it will surely mean their own demise. I had to sit there tonight & watch Carolina RB Jonathan Stewart become the first RB to rush over 100 yards against the Viking defense in 36 games, after DeAngelo Williams had to leave with injury :mcnugget:

I mentioned these coaches, because they've all had some semblence of success, then went on to another team, & didn't fair so well.

Jimmy Johnson couldn't get it started in Miami. Wannstedt came in, did ok, but left a 1-8 team midseason. For me, that is unacceptable. Some of you may welcome it, but I would not appreciate two play-off seasons then be dumped mid-way through the next season.

Mariuchi was successful in San Francisco "he's a great coach" & bombed in Detroit.

Martz... same thing, except he inherited a Super Bowl team.

Wade Phillips.... I really have no beef with, I just threw him in there, because he isn't very popular.

Mike Shanahan, Bill Cowher, Marty Schotenheimer, Mike Holmgren... all successful, "proven" head coaches.. if they come here, & they work out, great..... but there is no such thing as a "proven head coach". We're just as likely to find success with the next Sean Peyton, or Mike Singletary ( I like him as a head coach), or the next Bellichick.

Ditka.. did he have a winning season in New Orleans? Forget what he did in Chicago, it didn't help the Saints one bit.

& in case there is something wrong with your reading comprehension.... I'm not saying that Kubiak is better than any of these guys. I'm just saying our next head coach can be a dud, regardless his "track record.

I agree with what you are saying here Thunder. I think the main reason most soapers would like a proven coach is because we have rookies from the gm down to the cordinators.

There are a host of reasons why I want Kubiak gone. I will just point out one. Every time you hear Kubiak speak he ALWAYS talks about having a strong running game and establishing the run.

In his FOURTH YEAR, our running game is STILL TERRIBLE. If the running game is such a priority for him why does it still suck and if so why the hell should he still coach the team next year.

He brings in Alex Gibbs the supposed godfather of the ZBS and purported to be a great OL coach and our running game is still terrible.

Kubiak and Smith's handling of RB personnel has been a joke if this is such a priority. Chris Brown is in the trinity of most hated Texans along with Matt Stevens and P-Burnt in my book. That and completely being averse to investing in quality safeties (except for being extremely fortunate to have Bernie Pollard fall into our laps) are just a few of the litany of legitimate reasons to clean house. We all know Kubiak's problems when it comes to game and clock management.

There are a host of reasons why I want Kubiak gone. I will just point out one. Every time you hear Kubiak speak he ALWAYS talks about having a strong running game and establishing the run.

In his FOURTH YEAR, our running game is STILL TERRIBLE. If the running game is such a priority for him why does it still suck and if so why the hell should he still coach the team next year.

He brings in Alex Gibbs the supposed godfather of the ZBS and purported to be a great OL coach and our running game is still terrible.

Huh?? There may be a number of reasons to want Kubiak gone, but this? Really??? The Texans are 14 games removed from rushing for 1800+ yards ranking in the top half of the league.

This season:
Slaton = Sophomore slump
Meyers = suck
Pitts and Briesel = IR

In his FOURTH YEAR...I guess that THIRD YEAR with a good running game didn't count. Why does it still suck? - well first remove the still since if we had last year's running game we'd have 2-4 more wins right now. As for why it sucks this year, try your feature RB getting a fumbling disease and then going on IR, a pro-bowl alternate LG going down and the RG going down then every other RB on the team deciding they can't hang onto the ball either.

In his FOURTH YEAR...I guess that THIRD YEAR with a good running game didn't count. Why does it still suck? - well first remove the still since if we had last year's running game we'd have 2-4 more wins right now. As for why it sucks this year, try your feature RB getting a fumbling disease and then going on IR, a pro-bowl alternate LG going down and the RG going down then every other RB on the team deciding they can't hang onto the ball either.

But it is obviously Kubiak's fault. Why doesnt he show them how to hang on to the ball. Oh wait, he is not the running back coach. Still his fault for not benching the RB coach after Slaton fumbled the 2nd time...

Chick Harris
Running Backs Coach
29th NFL season
8th with Texans

Steve Slaton 7 Fumbles
Arian Foster 1 Fumble
Chris Brown 1 Fumble
Ryan Moats 2 Fumbles

Signs point to us needing a new RB coach. Maybe we can draft a shinny new RB for him in Round 2 this year.

Jonathan Dwyer
Jahvid Best

I like the improvement I'm seeing on both sides of the ball. I think McNair is right, & we're a "player mindset" away from years of success.

Ok if this is the easiest schedule the Texans have had, were still 500. If we bring Kubiak back, u think he will get us in the playoff with this schedule. Hell NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fire His Ass

Next year
6 division- Colts(2X)
Jags(2X)
Titans (2X)
NFC East- Cowboys
Eagles
Giants
Redskins
AFC West-Broncos
Chargers
Chiefs
Raiders
And 2 left to be named

Chick Harris
Running Backs Coach
29th NFL season
8th with Texans

Steve Slaton 7 Fumbles
Arian Foster 1 Fumble
Chris Brown 1 Fumble
Ryan Moats 2 Fumbles

Signs point to us needing a new RB coach. Maybe we can draft a shinny new RB for him in Round 2 this year.

Jonathan Dwyer
Jahvid Best
I got to thinking about this earlier. Is there any other team in the NFL with 4 Different RBs w/ fumbles? Is that everyone we've had on the active roster? (I'm not counting the FB position).

Sure you can give him last year when the line managed to catch lightening in a bottle with Slaton.

I think the point it the running game has consistently struggled under Gary. When he came in from Denver it was supposed to be plug and play at running back and get a 1000 yard rusher in the 7th round. It just hasn't materialized, especially considering we brought in Gibbs who established the system in Denver.

You right about losing Pitts no doubt, but when you roll into the season with Studdard and White as your primary backups you're bound to struggle if your starters go down. Roster decisions ultimately fall on Gary.

My opinion is that if you can't win this, the biggest game in team history, at home, then you've had your chance and it's time to find someone else.

Thoughts? Agree/disagree?

Agree. It won't happen but if I were running the Texans, this would be Kubiak's last chance. There were too many "biggest games in Texans history" that Kubiak lost this season to give him a pass one more time.

Sure we can blame the players for not making plays, but it is Kubiak that has decided to continue playing the guys that have screwed us over. It is Kubiak that continued shove Arian Foster to the side and refused to try someone else when Chris Brown was fumbling games away and bringing absolutely nothing to our running game. It is Kubiak that has continued to trot Kris Brown out there to miss FGs and PATs.

Sure, blame the players for not doing there job. But blame Kubiak for putting players out there that weren't capable of doing their job.

Band wagoner? Because I don't have the optimism that you do for a coach that hasn't gone over 8-8 in 4 years? That's the only drivel you can come up with as a response?

:clap: for you! You're a Joe Texan clone now.

where are you now "fire Kubiak" bandwagoner :evil:

The results on the field earned him another year. He got off the 8-8 schnide,
which I didn't believe he would do. If they'd lost, then we would have needed
a switch. I just hope he understands the importance of EVERY game, and
no more of this "Oh, well, it's only September."

Yes, I do agree that I would have fired him for losing this game; BUT the Texans won and have their first winning season! We've played our last game and STILL have a shot at the playoffs! :fans:

Assuming we don't make the playoffs and/or he doesn't manage to do something special in them, the one(s) I would fire are....well, read my sig...

i think we should still fire him. not impressed with the division record since hes been here and i think we shoulda won more than 9 games this season, but i will say congrats to the team and im glad we got a winning season finally.

i think we should still fire him. not impressed with the division record since hes been here and i think we shoulda won more than 9 games this season, but i will say congrats to the team and im glad we got a winning season finally.

:mcnugget:

"congrats on the winning season gary. you're fired."

Well, assuming we don't make the playoffs, I'm on the fence. But, that's a lot better than how I felt ever since the last loss.

As for why it sucks this year, try your feature RB getting a fumbling disease and then going on IR, a pro-bowl alternate LG going down and the RG going down then every other RB on the team deciding they can't hang onto the ball either.
Add to this list of excuses, how about your best power runner kept on the practice squad for the first 10 weeks of the season.

Add to this list of excuses, how about your best power runner kept on the practice squad for the first 10 weeks of the season.

i couldnt agree more. if more teams started undrafted free agents from day one this game wouldnt be so boring. we also should've taken peppers first, traded up for peterson, and gone back in time to get peyton. if we were a real team that's what we would've done ... but kubiak sucks and mcnair's too cheap for time travel.

i couldnt agree more. If more teams started undrafted free agents from day one this game wouldnt be so boring. We also should've taken peppers first, traded up for peterson, and gone back in time to get peyton. If we were a real team that's what we would've done ... But kubiak sucks and mcnair's too cheap for time travel.

rep!

where are you now "fire Kubiak" bandwagoner :evil:

Ha ha! Bandwagoner. You don't even know the meaning of the word. Wanting a 8-8 coach fired doesn't make you a band wagoner. It means you don't have confidence in a HC. A band wagoner is someone that only roots for winning teams.

At least learn the meaning of the stuff you're trying to talk about if you're going to throw around some smack. Lol! It just makes you look more foolish.

I just wish I had a HC for my team that could actually handle watching the end of a game.

Ha ha! Bandwagoner. You don't even know the meaning of the word. Wanting a 8-8 coach fired doesn't make you a band wagoner. It means you don't have confidence in a HC. A band wagoner is someone that only roots for winning teams.

At least learn the meaning of the stuff you're trying to talk about if you're going to throw around some smack. Lol! It just makes you look more foolish.

I just wish I had a HC for my team that could actually handle watching the end of a game.

now your a bandwagoner & sore sport (even though your hometown team has it's first winning season & chance to make the playoffs). good god man show some class :rake:

The soapers ARE down right angry tonight.

that's unfair, tex is no bandwagoner. i truthfully dont think he's been happy with anything the texans have ever done, but he's always here win or lose ... consistancy i guess.

Last edited:

Dream on. I don't see any "angry soapers". Just you claiming that. Why can't you just shut your pie hole and enjoy the 9 wins? Hell I don't think Kubiak is the answer and even I'm content to do that.

The results on the field earned him another year. He got off the 8-8 schnide,
which I didn't believe he would do. If they'd lost, then we would have needed
a switch. I just hope he understands the importance of EVERY game, and
no more of this "Oh, well, it's only September."

Are you serious?

I'm not even going to touch this.

We made the switch to Moats in Buffalo, week 8. He fumbled on the one, in Indy, Week 9. Our next three games were divisional must wins...

I can understand Kubiak holding off on putting another rookie in the line up.

Are you serious?

I'm not even going to touch this.

I'm speaking STRICTLY on Bob Mcnair will do. He's not gonna change
Kubes after today's win, and I'm gonna be on him like white on rice
all offseason, and until he gets our 10th win in 2010. I don't wanna
be stuck on "no playoffs" for another 2 years. Every coach you compare
him to has taken a team to the playoffs in under four years.

Judging by that long ass run to start the Jets game, we'll be watching
the playoffs again THIS year.

I am now officially tired of this thread. I'm glad I never voted in it.

Kubes is back next year whether we like it or not.

Besides, depending on the weather or what I ate last, I could change my mind at any time on Kubiac. LOL

Dream on. I don't see any "angry soapers". Just you claiming that. Why can't you just shut your pie hole and enjoy the 9 wins? Hell I don't think Kubiak is the answer and even I'm content to do that.

Must spread Rep...if I can. No one is angry. Saying the team needs a certain direction is constructive criticism. Why would a fan want a team to lose just to get a guy fired. Most would eat crow if they consistently won. Now I'm fine with next year since it will happen but I just hope that everyone is on the same page with what to expect and hope Bob waits on extension talk

Did you watch the final preseason game?
I didn't. I was out of town on business.

Still, I think Foster's production the past 2 weeks speaks for itself. It's NFL caliber. Credit Kubiak, Smith, the scouts for bringing in Foster as an UDFA. Credit the coaches for working with Foster and not giving up on him.

But...don't tell me that Foster could not have helped this team earlier in the season. When the running game was hemorrhaging or non-existent. I'm not buying it.

Wrong.

I was one, and will be one again if next season fleshes itself out like THIS one did.

I was thrilled when we won today, and was thrilled when KC won today.

Was also watching the Cincy-NYJ gamer tonite and hoping for a Cincy win so we could get an extra game.

You're just painting with a broad brush.

Back