Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

How about Tony Romo in Houston

on the site I linked before they list his 2017 "dead cap hit" as 19.6M

I thought those were the guaranteed money he is still due... but I could be misinterpreting the data

That is money which has already been paid out but has not appeared on a cap yet. Dallas will be stuck with that as dead money.

on the site I linked before they list his 2017 "dead cap hit" as 19.6M

I thought those were the guaranteed money he is still due... but I could be misinterpreting the data

That is the prorated salary bonus, he already has that money. His base salaries aren't guaranteed at all, a team would probably want to have a new deal done if they did trade for him. Yes two teams can start a bidding war, but which two teams are going to do that? Broncos have Lynch, Arizona has Palmer, the Chiefs still have Smith. Who would really outbid the Texans on this? On top of that Romo would have to agree to a new deal. I'm just not seeing it, the market is small for Romo IMHO. If Favre was an ironman worth a 3rd rounder, Romo is worth a 4th, more like a 5th?. Cowboys are capped strapped and don't need the two qb distraction he almost certainly has to get cut.

So many are talking about Romo coming "cheap" in the form of a "prove it" contract taking for granted that Romo is not very smart/self-aware. He is probably more aware than most fans of the probability that he is not likely to make it through his contract intact. Therefore, I doubt he agrees to a contract that does not give him significant guaranteed monies and significant job security. I may be wrong, but I really doubt it. We'll all find out soon.

Romo has already sustained cumulative back injuries 1) a lumbar disc herniation which requiring microdiscectomy surgery, 2) two vertebral transverse process fractures and 3) his recent L1 compression fracture. As you read this article by neurologist Dr. Ronald D. Fudala, you will probably recognize many of the points I have already presented as relates to Watt. Keep in mind, compression fractures are common in the elderly with weak bones but are quite rare in young athletes. These fractures even in light of trauma usually reflect an element of weak bones, possibly early osteopenia or osteoporosis......and they certainly don't do any good for anyone with existing lumbar disc issues.

***********************************************************************************

Tony Romo’s Back: A Victim of Ego and Poor Judgement

LumbarFlexion-1.jpg

Tony Romo’s season, if not career, are at risk because of ego and poor judgement. This is understandable from an injured, elite, competitive athlete desiring return to the field of play. It’s even understandable from an owner like Jerry Jones.

Jerry has always envisioned himself as a GM and coach. He has now given tangible evidence of his capabilities as a medical advisor. Hey Jerry, we know you are not a doctor but did you stay at a Holiday Inn last night? Heck, this guy probably even writes poetry in his spare time, such a man of many talents. Perhaps he can even pilot a 747.

What is least understandable, and perhaps most irresponsible, is the poor clinical judgement of the team physician authorizing Romo’s return with the presumptive diagnosis of a “bruised muscle.”

Given Romo’s past surgical history, and that he had a Toradol (powerful anti-inflammatory medication) injection for back pain the week prior; the team doctor should’ve know better. Clinically, to not suspect the potential for a more significant injury would be bad enough. Suspecting the possibility of more serious damage, yet acquiescing to the whims of an overzealous owner would be even worse, calling into question his professional integrity and accountability to the athletes he ostensibly serves to protect.

In the brief video below, I want you to notice the mechanism of Tony Romo’s injury.

VIDEO

• Romo abruptly plants his foot, flexes (bends a bit forward), then pivots (twists) backward towards his right.
  • In this position, Romo’s back is facing the oncoming defender and still in a somewhat flexed (bent forward) position.
  • The oncoming defender makes contact at Romo’s shoulder level, causing further forced flexion of Romo’s low back.
The combination of rotation and flexion, compounded by the abrupt forced flexion resulting from where and how hard Romo was hit makes a lumbar disc injury more plausible as a diagnosis. It is also much more serious, especially considering that Romo’s prior micro-discectomy could increase the susceptibility of his lumbar disc to further deterioration.

The side-line diagnosis of “bruised spine” lacks credibility for 3 main reasons.

• Unless Romo suffered a fracture, or significant spinal instability, routine x-rays would be normal and neither argue for nor against any other type of injury.
  • The type of pain Romo experienced cannot be used to diagnose one structural source of pain from another. In fact, numerous studies have shown that all spinal structures produce similar types and patterns of pain. (1)This means that muscle pain is similar to disc pain which is also very similar to joint or ligament pain. It can confuse clinicians as much as it does patients.
  • There are no completely reliable “bedside tests” or “on field procedures” capable of accurately diagnosing the spinal structure responsible for pain. (2,3)
Recognizing the limitations discussed above, most experienced spine-care professionals will lean heavily on mechanism of injury and past medical history in making a provisional diagnosis. Romo’s on field physician (or Jerry Jones’ enabler) seemed to ignore each of these. Let me explain.

To reach the point of having sciatica leading to a lumbar micro-discectomy, Tony Romo’s lumbar disc had already been compromised. Here is a simplified illustration of a “birds-eye” or axial view of a herniated lumbar disc.

Lumbar Disc Herniation

• Note that the outer disc fibers (annulus) are disrupted (torn). This is typically the first thing that occurs when a disc is injured, often resulting in considerable back pain.
  • The tears of these outer (annular) fibers eventually coalesce allowing the inner, more jelly like, material of the nucleus to work its way through the tears to the point where it extends beyond disc boundaries. This is called a herniation. Disc herniations like the one illustrated often compress the nerve and cause a great deal of leg pain, weakness, or numbness.
  • This is the situation for which Tony Romo had his lumbar microdiscectomy.

Tony Romo’s prior lumbar microdisectomy was designed to relieve his sciatica (leg symptoms) and not to “heal” his back. In fact, this surgery could have rendered his lumbar disc more susceptible to further deterioration. Studies have shown that, post surgically, there is an increased risk of disc degeneration over time and that this is associated with increased pain and disability. (4,5)

It is also important to understand that once damaged, discs have a limited capacity for healing, and any healing that does occurs is slow, incomplete, and comprised of tissue that is structurally inferior. (6) It is likely that Dr. Dossett (Romo’s surgeon) used a closure technique to seal the defect created by removing a portion of his disc. However, such techniques have not been shown to compensate for the lost disc material, restore the necessary hydration to the disc, or to prevent further damage to disc fibers. (7,8)

The simplified version of what I have stated above is:

• To reach the point of a disc herniation, Tony Romo’s lumbar disc had already sustained internal degenerative damage, weakening this structure.
  • His surgery, although designed to treat one problem (leg pain, numbness, weakness), probably led to further deterioration of his already compromised lumbar disc.
  • In other words, it is impossible (at least at present) to “regenerate” a previously degenerated disc.
So how does all of this relate to Tony Romo’s recent injury and his future?

Romo’s degenerated lumbar disc will forever have a reduced internal water content leading to inadequate pressurization, and an abnormal load-stress bearing pattern. This leads to a disc that will deform under lower loads, increasing susceptibility to re-injury. (9,10,11) Spinal ligament injury (and the disc can be considered a ligament) also leads to a loss of stability, especially when subjected to complex movements or force. (12) This is particularly important with the forces he is exposed to on regular basis.

That Tony Romo is now experiencing problems similar to Tiger Woods is not unexpected. In fact, I would encourage you to read my articles about Tiger Woods HERE, HERE, and HERE. You can also view THIS for a very brief and understandable video about lumbar disc pain.

Romo’s ability to compete will depend on his tolerance for pain and the effectiveness of any pain management he undergoes. But again, it is important to understand that the lack or lessening of pain does not imply that he has healed.

In closing, diagnosing Tony Romo with a bruised spine was a severe underestimation of the complexity of his injury. His immediate return to competition placed him at increased risk for additional damage at a time when his impaired mobility further limited his ability to protect himself.

It seems that Tiger Woods has now figured out the detrimental effect of returning to forceful competition too early. Good thing for him that Jerry Jones is not his “owner”.

Hey Doc,

Tell us more about his multiple collarbone breaks.
After his 3rd fracture, I've reviewed this ad nauseum. But here is where you can find my previous thoughts, beginning with
http://www.texanstalk.com/posts/2574408/ and going to the end of that page.

From Feb 24, 2016

The Mumford procedure is typically performed to address continued debilitating pain in the acromio-clavicular joint area.

distal-clavical.jpg

The plating of a clavicular fracture is performed in order to reinforced the bone's strength to try to prevent future fractures of the clavicle.

clavicle_plate_technique_1-large.png

The Mumford procedure does little to prevent refracture. It is a simple arthroscopic procedure. Plating of the clavicle, on the other hand, is a major procedure that can only be performed as an "open" large incision, not arthroscopic) procedure. Plates, depending on what studies you review have a 30-60% complication rate, and may require removal or revision of the plate (10-50%) due to hardware-related problems. Because of this, Romo's medical advisors are apparently now at least avoiding plating. Since Romo's clavicular fracture was originally comminuted (splintered into several pieces), then refractured, and it is not reinforced, his clavicle must be considered naturally weakened and will remain a significant risk for a third fracture.

Either surgical route Romo chooses to pursue, it is unlikely that his clavicular problems are behind him.

[EDIT: Actually, Romo suffered a fracture of this same left clavicle in 2010.......so he has fractured that clavicle 3 times already.]

Posted this after his last clavicular surgery (July 31, 2016).

If motivation is the problem, that's a shame. He had his shoulder surgery (Mumford procedure) ~March 12. This surgery carries a 6-8 week return to play. That would mean that Romo for whatever reason chose to blow off 2 1/2 months to get into shape for TC. To begin with, the Mumford procedure has never been indicated for any reason except for pain at the distal clavicle/joint (usually secondary to arthritis). It is not indicated for avoiding body of the clavicle fractures or re-fractures.

His clavicular surgery is very unlikely to prevent yet a 4th fracture from occurring.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
The problem with trading Romo is the cap hit - don't have the numbers but Bradford, Smith and Schaub weren't making big bucks (?) and Favre well iron men hall of famers don't come up for trade very often. Romo isn't cheap, and won't be mistaken for an iron man.

He is cut, he is a Cowboy, or he is playing for a Cleveland or Jacksonville type team (lots of cap) - my opinion.

I agree with this. It makes logical sense. I don't know what kind of cap space Denver, KC, or Arizona have but I have to imagine it's not very much and could be less than Houston's. So, that pretty much leaves only these 3 options. I guess we'll see how much "Jerrah" really likes Romo or if he'll do what's best for the team.

LaCanfora is an asswipe with a damn agenda, especially against the Texans for some reason. I think he got fed some bad info in 2015 (O'Brien to U of Maryland) and is being a petty twat.

Follow his tweets during texans game and it is pretty clear

Never liked the guy. Comes off as a whiny ass, mouth breather.

I agree with this. It makes logical sense. I don't know what kind of cap space Denver, KC, or Arizona have but I have to imagine it's not very much and could be less than Houston's. So, that pretty much leaves only these 3 options. I guess we'll see how much "Jerrah" really likes Romo or if he'll do what's best for the team.

Denver 35M and Arizona 35M have some room, KC doesn't, over the cap. Arizona has to sign Chandler Jones, also Calais Campbell and Tony Jefferson are FA's. So Denver is a possibility, if they want to absorb his salary they could.

Denver 35M and Arizona 35M have some room, KC doesn't, over the cap. Arizona has to sign Chandler Jones, also Calais Campbell and Tony Jefferson are FA's. So Denver is a possibility, if they want to absorb his salary they could.
The Cards resigned Palmer and KC has Smith under contract for awhile longer and the Broncos have two young QBs (including last years top Draft pick) they want to see compete for the starting job this year.
A factor which could also favor the Texans is that the Romos are expecting their third child in August so playing in Houston keeps him in real close proximity to family in N.Texas.

I hope BOB and Smith, if they are thinking of pursuing Romo, only do it if he is cut by Dallas. I don't want them wasting a high draft pick (1st - 3rd) on someone at his age and with his injury history. The Texans have too many other holes to fill and they will need all of their picks to even come close to filling them and add some depth.

Nobody in their right mind would spend a (1-3) pick on this guy, Dallas has to cut him they need the money. They have no leverage.

I wonder if we will draft a tight end or are we liking the progression of C.J. and Ryan Griffin? If we sign Tony Romo (once he's released), shouldn't we look to get him that good pass catching tight end? He's been spoiled playing many years with a future Hall of Famer like Jason Witten. I assume we won't have any cap space to pursue hometown star Martellus Bennett in free agency, who also played some years with Romo in Dallas.

Knowing those assclowns, they would trade our 1st round, 2nd round, JJ Watt, JJ Moses, Moses Malone, Sam Malone, and Cal's left testicle for Mark Sanchez...

I guess my biggest fear is they do go for Romo, and let's say they give up a 2nd rd pick for him, then you have Romo and Watt, both with bad backs, out there playing. Every play I'd be wondering if it would be their last one. I mean the odds of both making it through a full season with no back injury I think would have to be pretty bad. To me, it would be a true Super Bowl or bust season! If they both stay healthy for the season then you have a chance to win it all. If they are lost early in the season it could turn out like a 2013 repeat! Yeah, it's that time of the year again! Let the games begin! :spin:

So many are talking about Romo coming "cheap" in the form of a "prove it" contract taking for granted that Romo is not very smart/self-aware. He is probably more aware than most fans of the probability that he is not likely to make it through his contract intact. Therefore, I doubt he agrees to a contract that does not give him significant guaranteed monies and significant job security. I may be wrong, but I really doubt it. We'll all find out soon.
Yeah, but that cuts both ways - if Romo is so concerned that he insists on guaranteed money, most franchises are going to be equally concerned and wanting to stay away from guaranteed money as much as they can. There may be "desperate" teams such as Cleveland or San Fran who would be willing to do it for their own reasons, but if you're Romo, and the biggest omission from your career is a Super Bowl ring (or the fact that you've only played in 6 playoff games in your 13 year career for that matter), is that where you want to spend the remainder of your career regardless of the money involved? Additionally, even if he signs a non-guaranteed contract for a big first year base salary, CBA rules guarantee that contract if he's on the roster for week one of the regular season. So under that scenario, unless he gets hurt in the pre-season, the non-guarantee part isn't really applicable.

If Tony wants to sign with a contender, I see him taking a smaller year one base salary (which for the reasons outlined above might as well be guaranteed (unless there's a huge concern about him getting hurt in the off-season/pre-season (in which case, why the heck are you signing him anyway?))). Then, put a larger (Still not guaranteed of course) base salary and/or a sizable roster bonus in year two and make him prove some level of durability to get there.

Yeah, but that cuts both ways - if Romo is so concerned that he insists on guaranteed money, most franchises are going to be equally concerned and wanting to stay away from guaranteed money as much as they can. There may be "desperate" teams such as Cleveland or San Fran who would be willing to do it for their own reasons, but if you're Romo, and the biggest omission from your career is a Super Bowl ring (or the fact that you've only played in 6 playoff games in your 13 year career for that matter), is that where you want to spend the remainder of your career regardless of the money involved? Additionally, even if he signs a non-guaranteed contract for a big first year base salary, CBA rules guarantee that contract if he's on the roster for week one of the regular season, so unless he gets hurt in the pre-season, the non-guarantee part isn't really applicable.

If Tony wants to sign with a contender, I see him taking a smaller year one base salary (which for the reasons outlined above might as well be guaranteed (unless there's a huge concern about him getting hurt in the off-season/pre-season (in which case, why the heck are you signing him anyway?))). Then, put a larger (Still not guaranteed of course) base salary and/or a sizable roster bonus in year two and make him prove some level of durability to get there.

I see your reasoning. I still see him seeking and getting a healthy guaranteed bonus/year 1 salary total. Although it is possible that his injury occurs in the offseason/preseason, it is much less likely to occur then than during the regular season, as contact (especially for a QB) is almost non-existent during the offseason (due to non contact written and "unwritten" rules) and minimal during the preseason (due to the very minimal play time of a team's starting QB).....................so once the regular season begins and the guaranteed bonus and salary money is deposited in the bank is when injury is most likely and probably inevitable to occur.

Last edited:
Yeah, but that cuts both ways - if Romo is so concerned that he insists on guaranteed money, most franchises are going to be equally concerned and wanting to stay away from guaranteed money as much as they can. There may be "desperate" teams such as Cleveland or San Fran who would be willing to do it for their own reasons, but if you're Romo, and the biggest omission from your career is a Super Bowl ring (or the fact that you've only played in 6 playoff games in your 13 year career for that matter), is that where you want to spend the remainder of your career regardless of the money involved? Additionally, even if he signs a non-guaranteed contract for a big first year base salary, CBA rules guarantee that contract if he's on the roster for week one of the regular season. So under that scenario, unless he gets hurt in the pre-season, the non-guarantee part isn't really applicable.

Tony is very beloved in the Cowboys organization although I can see him wanting to get a shot at returning to a team that he will be the starting quarterback. I think it will come with a price though, and if the contract isn't very attractive, he has options can work within the organization or another NFL related job of his choice. I just don't see him as the type that wants to prove his value to the point of signing a contract for a couple mils.

I see your reasoning. I still see him seeking and getting a healthy guaranteed bonus/year 1 salary total. Although it is possible that his injury occurs in the offseason/preseason, it is much less likely to occur then than during the regular season, as contact (especially for a QB) is almost non-existent during the offseason (due to non contact written and "unwritten" rules) and minimal during the preseason (due to the very minimal play time of a team's starting QB).....................so once the regular season begins and the guaranteed bonus and salary money is deposited in the bank is when injury is most likely and probably inevitable to occur.
I agree with the part about being unlikely to be hurt in the pre-season (although let's not forget how Dak became the Cowboys starting QB to begin with), but I'll stick with the idea that your concerns (and per your post - Tony's concerns) are well known and are the world's concerns.

If your goal is to strive for some sort of credibility, culture impact, or to sell tickets, you might not care about how many games he's actually able to start - you may be able to achieve or partially achieve your goals with a wounded Romo. If your goal is to win a Super Bowl, a wounded Romo on your roster doesn't really do you any more good than a wounded Romo on another team's roster, so you need to do something to protect yourself. Throw in the fact that there seems to be an inverse relationship between the amount of cap space NFL teams have available, and the likelihood of that team contending for the Super Bowl Championship, and I still think that if he's cut by the Cowboys (or even if he's traded by the Cowboys - which would possibly require a contract restructuring), Tony's gonna have to decide what his priorities are - finances or legacy.

Tony is very beloved in the Cowboys organization although I can see him wanting to get a shot at returning to a team that he will be the starting quarterback. I think it will come with a price though, and if the contract isn't very attractive, he has options can work within the organization or another NFL related job of his choice. I just don't see him as the type that wants to prove his value to the point of signing a contract for a couple mils.
So if (and I'm not saying it's a given) Tony is playing for a team that's not the Cowboys next season, do you believe it's more likely to be a high dollar contract for a non (or at best unlikely) contender, or a lower dollar contract (possibly with unlikely to be earned incentives) for a team that an above average QB could make into a genuine contender?

I'd definitely give up a 4th for him, and would give very strong consideration for our 3rd which is fairly low in the round with the idea of a restructure to go along with that. I would be leery going higher than a #3 and would likely call Jerry's bluff at that point.

I'd also want him medically cleared - by multiple docs before pulling the trigger.

If you look at the history of 3rd's and 4th's under RS, why are we so worried about giving one up for a potential short-term game changer at QB? What, is there another Sam Montgomery peeking your interest?

The Texans can offer Tony Romo more than a couple million if J.J. Watt is willing to restructure his contract. And by the sounds of it, during an interview he had with Dan Patrick during the Super Bowl, he's more than eager to do so if it means improving the team. They money to sign Romo will be there and I don't see that being hard to do.

If Tony Romo wants to start for a Super Bowl contender the Houston Texans should be his #1 choice, followed by the Broncos and maybe Chiefs. And even then I don't think the Broncos and Chiefs are willing to give up on Trevor Siemian and Alex Smith as their starting quarterbacks. The Texans, Bill O'Brian in particular, has already shown he has no problem benching Brock. We'll bench Brock in 2017 and release him prior to 2018.

The Texans best course of action this off-season is to sign Tony Romo and draft a young quarterback in the third or fourth round. Like the Cowboys did with Dak Prescott last draft.

The Texans can offer Tony Romo more than a couple million if J.J. Watt is willing to restructure his contract. And by the sounds of it, during an interview he had with Dan Patrick during the Super Bowl, he's more than eager to do so if it means improving the team. They money to sign Romo will be there and I don't see that being hard to do.

If Tony Romo wants to start for a Super Bowl contender the Houston Texans should be his #1 choice, followed by the Broncos and maybe Chiefs. And even then I don't think the Broncos and Chiefs are willing to give up on Trevor Siemian and Alex Smith as their starting quarterbacks. The Texans, Bill O'Brian in particular, has already shown he has no problem benching Brock. We'll bench Brock in 2017 and release him prior to 2018.

The Texans best course of action this off-season is to sign Tony Romo and draft a young quarterback in the third or fourth round. Like the Cowboys did with Dak Prescott last draft.
Does not appear to be much to choose from after 3rd round. If Romo is QB with Savage #2, it might be better to go UDFA for a project and use draft to strengthen team.

I wonder if we will draft a tight end or are we liking the progression of C.J. and Ryan Griffin? If we sign Tony Romo (once he's released), shouldn't we look to get him that good pass catching tight end? He's been spoiled playing many years with a future Hall of Famer like Jason Witten. I assume we won't have any cap space to pursue hometown star Martellus Bennett in free agency, who also played some years with Romo in Dallas.

The draft is loaded this year at TE, there are a lot of guys that could fill that role and step in pretty soon. This might be the deepest draft at TE in the past 5-10 years. If you followed the Senior Bowl news the Texans interviewed with a handful of TE's so I think its in their mind to grab a guy to compliment Fido. Bennett would work but the draft is a much better way this year financially to pursue a TE. This also might be the same argument for letting Bouye walk as this draft is loaded at CB as well.

I'm sure JJ Watt would be fine to restructure his deal. The only guaranteed money he hasn't been paid is in his 2017 base salary of $10.5M. After that, the Texans could cut him and save $9M against the cap for the 2018 season. Any money he receives from the Texans after the 2017 season is purely up to the Texans. Which is a bit of a luxury for us given that he's a big question mark in regards to his health.

I'd rather not restructure Watt's deal until we know what his health situation is after multiple back surgeries.

I think we should probably start to ponder the idea that Watt's best years are behind him and that he may not be the same guy moving forward. Unfortunate things happen and it's best to protect yourself from them rather than pay someone more money hoping for the best.

Regardless, how would you even start that negotiating process? "Well, JJ, you've been injured heavily recently and we feel your value has decreased rather significantly, as you can see from our offer." Or, "well, JJ, although you've been injured heavily recently, we feel that you're still the same player you were before 2 back surgeries, even though you haven't played since the most recent one, and want to open up some cap space. So, here's $20-30M in additional guarantees."

Last edited:
So if (and I'm not saying it's a given) Tony is playing for a team that's not the Cowboys next season, do you believe it's more likely to be a high dollar contract for a non (or at best unlikely) contender, or a lower dollar contract (possibly with unlikely to be earned incentives) for a team that an above average QB could make into a genuine contender?

I don't think anyone knows for sure, but he has made his fair share of coin in his career according to Spotrac he's made 127M over his career, which is 10th among active players. So from a pure financial stand point he's done well. You don't have to make huge moves to bring him on, if his base salary was suppose to be 14M this year, you could offer him a deal a multi year deal with the same amount of dough guaranteed 14M. You have a low first year cap number and lay out future salaries based on incentives etc. It wouldn't be hard to offer 14M guaranteed over multiple years with a first year cap hit of 5M which wouldn't really disrupt this years money.

I don't think anyone knows for sure, but he has made his fair share of coin in his career according to Spotrac he's made 127M over his career, which is 10th among active players. So from a pure financial stand point he's done well. You don't have to make huge moves to bring him on, if his base salary was suppose to be 14M this year, you could offer him a deal a multi year deal with the same amount of dough guaranteed 14M. You have a low first year cap number and lay out future salaries based on incentives etc. It wouldn't be hard to offer 14M guaranteed over multiple years with a first year cap hit of 5M which wouldn't really disrupt this years money.

Even in that, in my opinion, unlikely scenario, you've got $9M in dead cap hanging over him in 2018. If he's injured, which we all know is quite likely, and you want to get rid of him, you really can't. You'd just eat all that money in 2018. That's best case too, in my opinion.

You add that to a JJ Watt restructure and the Texans wouldn't be doing a very good job of protecting themselves against injury from players that have a history of serious injury.

Last edited:
Even in that, in my opinion, unlikely scenario, you've got $9M in dead cap hanging over him in 2018. If he's injured, which we all know is quite likely, and you want to get rid of him, you really can't. You'd just eat all that money in 2018. That's best case too, in my opinion.

You add that to a JJ Watt restructure and the Texans wouldn't be doing a very good job of protecting themselves against injury from players that have a history of serious injury.
But realistically we probably have a two or three-year window, starting during the 2017 season, to compete for a Super Bowl. I think we should give ourselves the best chance to win a Lombardi Trophy while we can.

Heck, we were down 17-13 at halftime in the divisional round at Foxborough against the eventual Super Bowl champs this past season. And that was with a horrible quarterback playing and no J.J. Watt. Plug in Tony Romo and J.J. Watt... I know it's a big if to expect them to be healthy, but those two could lead us to a Super Bowl if they stay on the field come playoff time next year.

It's strange and a bit of de ja vu, but I remember people having these same debates back when Peyton Manning was a free agent and he had interest in coming to Houston. But people said he's damaged goods and his neck will force him to retire. He's no better than Matt Schaub and his damaged foot. He couldn't play for Gary Kubiak's west coast offense, etc.. etc... And yet all Peyton Manning did was lead the Broncos to two Super Bowls and even winning one with Gary Kubiak as head coach.

Why do we "overthink" this stuff? If a good aging veteran quarterback is available, we should be all over that! Instead we use every excuse in the book, especially injuries, not to sign him.

Had we signed Peyton Manning back then we'd probably have already won a Super Bowl or two by now, and signing Tony Romo wouldn't even be a second thought for us right now. If Tony Romo is released we should all expect the Houston Texans to sign him, otherwise Rick Smith needs to be fired as general manager.

Would like to have Romo for a year or two but fear that in any important game he'd have a target on his back. Awful to say but isn't that likely esp in key-to-playoff games?

If only there was a guarantee that Romo would play 20 games over the next two years

Peyton Manning and Tony Romo are on two different levels of players. Romo was never close to Peyton's level. In addition, Peyton started all 16 games for 13 seasons before he missed that one full season due to injury. He had multiple surgeries for that, but what I read was that after the last surgery, he wasn't in great risk to reinjure himself. I read that he may have lost arm strength, but wasn't under a significantly higher risk of reinjury. Perhaps, I'm wrong in that. Regardless, it's one injury that you worried about and you're getting one of the greatest coach-on-the-field QBs to play the game.

Let's take a look at Romo, an inferior player to Manning in all respects:

2010: Broken left collarbone.
2013: Ruptured disk (back).
2014: Two transverse process fractures (back).
2015: Broken left collarbone.
2016: Compression fracture on L1 vertebrae (back).

That's not a typo. He broke the same collarbone three times and twice in the same season.

I don't see how you can at all compare Tony Romo and Peyton Manning.

But why do we "overthink" this stuff?

It's not about comparing Tony Romo to Peyton Manning. It's about the Texans front office having some freakin' guts to gamble on a solid veteran quarterback. I'm comparing the golden opportunity we may have to compete for a Super Bowl and actually beat Tom Brady and the Patriots in the damn playoffs. We'd have likely done so in this past playoffs with better quarterback play. It was there for the taking but we wasted too many offensive possessions.

That year we made the playoffs for the first time with T.J. Yates starting two playoff games: We did sign Jeff Garcia and Jake Delhomme, but Brett Favre was sitting at home and saying he'd have listened to the Texans and some other team (forgot which) had they called him. I was in favor of the Texans signing Peyton Manning when many others didn't like the idea.

And likewise, I like the idea of the Texans signing Tony Romo.
Will the third time be the charm or will we blow it yet again?
Keep overthinking this but don't complain when Brock Osweiler starts in 2017.

Peyton Manning and Tony Romo are on two different levels of players. Romo was never close to Peyton's level. In addition, Peyton started all 16 games for 13 seasons before he missed that one full season due to injury. He had multiple surgeries for that, but what I read was that after the last surgery, he wasn't in great risk to reinjure himself. I read that he may have lost arm strength, but wasn't under a significantly higher risk of reinjury. Perhaps, I'm wrong in that. Regardless, it's one injury that you worried about and you're getting one of the greatest coach-on-the-field QBs to play the game.

That's not a typo. He broke the same collarbone three times and twice in the same season.

Not all injuries are the same when it come to severity, Broke collarbone while being drive into the turf on his shoulder, happen's to many Q.b's,
3 years later the ruptured disk week 17,
transverse process is not a serious injury Cam had the same thing happen that year Romo missed 1 game for it,
5 years later get driven into the turf on his shoulder and brakes it, lets it heal for a few weeks but comes back to early because Dallas's season is going down the drain because all Q.B on the team not named Romo cant win a game.
get's bent forward while sliding and hurts his back with a compression fracture, majority of all people will get that injury if you are in a bent position and a 250-300lb person jumps on your back while your in a sitting stance

These are not career ending injuries, I see bones getting broken when enormous pressure is put on them which is a normal thing.

Concussion's- serious matter, Torn ligaments and muscle's- serious matter,

and yes Tony Romo from a talent stand point was on par with manning i have seen them play head to head and manning had his hands full trying to keep up with Romo when the played each other.

Romo's Pocket Skill's are just crazy

Last edited:

2008 -- Broken right pinkie finger (sounds minor, but He missed three games that ultimately cost the Cowboys a chance at making the playoffs)
2010 -- Broken left collarbone.
2011 -- Fractured rib and a punctured lung
2013 -- Ruptured disk.
2014 -- Two transverse process fractures
2015 -- Broken left collarbone
2016 -- Compression fracture, L1 vertebra.

Besides knee surgery in 2008 and a strained quad in 2015, Manning essentially had a neck disc that required a fusion........with one big difficult-to-answer question, even by a neurologist or neurosurgeon..........not so much that because of a long constant list of significant injuries (which he didn't have) he would suffer another injury................but would his nerve regenerate, allowing adequate arm function/strength to return? The Broncos, when they took a chance on Peyton in 2012, were swimming in cap money...........$40 million.........all a stark contrast to the Texans-Romo situation.

2008 -- Broken right pinkie finger (sounds minor, but He missed three games that ultimately cost the Cowboys a chance at making the playoffs)
2010 -- Broken left collarbone.
2011 -- Fractured rib and a punctured lung
2013 -- Ruptured disk.
2014 -- Two transverse process fractures
2016 -- Compression fracture, L1 vertebra.

Besides knee surgery in 2008 and a strained quad in 2015, Manning essentially had a neck disc that required a fusion........with one big difficult-to-answer question, even by a neurologist or neurosurgeon..........not so much that because of a long constant list of significant injuries (which he didn't have) he would suffer another injury................but would his nerve regenerate, allowing adequate arm function/strength to return? The Broncos, when they took a chance on Peyton in 2012, were swimming in cap money...........$40 million.........all a stark contrast to the Texans-Romo situation.
no one is saying give tony a super contract but if he wants to come here and play on a fair deal texans would look foolish to not try and get him to help the Offense because this Def wont last forever and it would be a waste

Not all injuries are the same when it come to severity, Broke collarbone while being drive into the turf on his shoulder, happen's to many Q.b's,
3 years later the ruptured disk week 17,
transverse process is not a serious injury Cam had the same thing happen that year Romo missed 1 game for it,
5 years later get driven into the turf on his shoulder and brakes it, lets it heal for a few weeks but comes back to early because Dallas's season is going down the drain because all Q.B on the team not named Romo cant win a game.
get's bent forward while sliding and hurts his back with a compression fracture, majority of all people will get that injury if you are in a bent position and a 250-300lb person jumps on your back while your in a sitting stance

These are not career ending injuries, I see bones getting broken when enormous pressure is put on them which is a normal thing.

Concussion's- serious matter, Torn ligaments and muscle's- serious matter,

and yes Tony Romo from a talent stand point was on par with manning i have seen them play head to head and manning had his hands full trying to keep up with Romo when the played each other.

Romo's Pocket Skill's are just crazy

No, in and of themselves, his injuries have not been career-ending, though his back disc issues/surgery and recent compression fracture are ominous signs. His injuries have all been performance negatively-impacting injuries, and the type of injuries he has sustained are a very predictable setup for the sustaining of recurrent and additional progressively severe injuries.......very likely resulting in career-ending injury.

To me Romo is a risk not worth taking due to injury history. I say roll with what we got and add one more in the draft. Keep 4 quarterbacks atleast through part of the preseason and let the four battle it out for the starting job. Let one Qb go before the start of the regular season and let the fair battle determine who will start. It is likely the 2018 season will have better options at the quarterback position to draft should we need to add another one.

The draft is loaded this year at TE, there are a lot of guys that could fill that role and step in pretty soon. This might be the deepest draft at TE in the past 5-10 years. If you followed the Senior Bowl news the Texans interviewed with a handful of TE's so I think its in their mind to grab a guy to compliment Fido. Bennett would work but the draft is a much better way this year financially to pursue a TE. This also might be the same argument for letting Bouye walk as this draft is loaded at CB as well.
Would not Stephen Anderson 24 YOA be that TE? Pick up 1 or 2 to eval from UDFAs

I hate to say Tony should consider the high dollar for a non contender, but just last year Atlanta didn't look too great, and good lord, the Cowboys were seen by outsiders as a joke, therefore one year can make a world of difference (not Cleveland, though). If management wasn't so bad I would consider the 49ers, and on the other hand I do like Denver as an option. It would be nice if something could be worked out for Ware to come back home in some kind of a deal. I could also see a lower dollar contract depending how lower is lower with attractive incentives.

Logistically, the Texans would be close to home and an easy commute, but he would be in for a rude awakening if he were to throw two interceptions in the same game. I really like Tony and to be honest, some of the fans frighten me more than another possible injury.

Back