How about Tony Romo in Houston

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by humblegeo, Jan 21, 2017.

1. humblegeo

humblegeo Guest

Is it possible that Tony Romo could wind up in Houston to play quarterback for a couple of years. We need help desperately!!! 14th season

2. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Who would get hurt first?
    Romo or Savage

I say pass. Our oline will get Romo hurt

KA4Texan, JB and Showtime100 like this.
  3. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got JJ?

No. Not for what they'll want in return. Maybe for the time being we forget their rickety, good, but old, QB and learn from them in building an offensive line.

Not directed at you, humblegeo, just my opinion on the way to go from here.

4. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

Not sure how we afford both Romo and Osweiler (either on roster or cut, cause ain't nobody taking him in trade).

Wouldn't mind taking some shot with him while a viable youngster develops, just don't see the feasibility.

paycheck71, ROO and Ranger Tom like this.
  5. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Wherever I was, I was more than likely drunk
    No. Just say no

PapaL, Double Barrel and False Start like this.
  6. Ranger Tom

Ranger Tom Hall of Fame

I had the same thought. If it weren't for the amount of money we're spending and will spend on Os, I'd be happy to have Romo in town. As things are, though, we should look for someone willing to work for less.

ROO and Mollywhopper like this.
  7. honored82

honored82 Veteran

i would prefer Phillip Rivers. He is not happy with the chargers moving to LA. There is a chance we can get him. im not sure but i think he will be a free agent if they dont sign him this offseason.
    Rick Smith needs to get on the phone with his agent...... BoB i got you a QB :)

8. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

He's contracted through 2019, and so not much different (effectively anyway) than the financial constraints Romo would bring.

How's it feasible with the albatross that is Os's contract?

9. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade 2017 Astros: Earn It!

It's only remotely possible if the Cowboys release him and that's a tough stretch given the dead money cap hit they would take. And trading him, especially to a good team, only seems viable for one or two teams at the moment.

Interesting though, as we can hope for the best. But if the Cowboys released Tony Romo and he were willing to come here for less money, and then Adrian Peterson wants to sign here for a hometown discount (both coming to win here and not about the money). And with Watt coming back we could potentially make a strong Super Bowl run next year.

I know it's all unlikely but certainly something to talk about regarding the Houston Texans.

10. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Wherever I was, I was more than likely drunk
    It's not feasible. Bringing in a high priced aged vet isn't happening. That's a fools pipe dream

11. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade 2017 Astros: Earn It!

Unfortunately while true initially, he has finally embraced the move to Los Angeles and is excited to play in L.A. this upcoming year. He said as much on the Jimmy Kimmel show the other night along with fellow teammate Joey Bosa. They are both excited to play for the Los Angeles Chargers.

12. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

Romo ain't going to want to play smashheadball for the kind of money it would take to make him work with our cap.

Double Barrel likes this.
  13. humblegeo

humblegeo Guest

So I guess none of it is within the realm of possibilities since our Football experts in the front office screwed up so badly (meaning unsatisfactory, inadequate or unsuccessful way) on the Osweiler signing. We are stuck with Osweiler for atleast this next season. Our hands are tied at this point with very few options or money to spend on a top veteran quarterback like a Tony Romo or Phillip Rivers.

14. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

There's really no money to be spent on a (quality) QB unless you ignore other things, which I hope they don't do. Beef up the oline, and head into camp with our current trio of QBs and another couple from "somewhere" and hope for the best. Before you go putting your dream QB on the team, he really ought to have a better line up front.

jradMIT and Number19 like this.
  15. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

Ice up Savage and draft a youngster. Maybe kick the tires on a Mike Glennon negotiation.

16. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

With so much money invested in Os next year I guess the only possible way for improvement at the QB position is to draft one. With Houston picking so low that also seems like a crap shoot, though.

17. humblegeo

humblegeo Guest

Some of the talk that's going around concerning Houston's quarterback situation. This is a quote from one of those articles:

The Brandt Report

Ideas for the QB-needy: Trubisky to Browns? Romo to Texans?

5) Houston Texans

2016 starters: Brock Osweiler (14 games), Tom Savage (2).

Passing offense ranked: 29th.

This could be a Super Bowl team with better quarterback play, which is why I would pursue Romo, who could definitely lift the Texans to the promised land if healthy. I'd also look for a potential replacement for Osweiler in the draft, maybe someone like Texas Tech's Patrick Mahomes or even a second- or third-rounder that coach Bill O'Brien could develop. At this point, Osweiler is the default starter heading into 2017, but he was such a disappointment for this squad. I'd definitely have an open competition, even if that simply ends up being a two-man race between Osweiler and Tom Savage. Don't discount the possibility that a rookie could come in and pull a Dak Prescott, catching everyone off guard.

18. Scooter

Scooter Funky

I seem to remember a few washed up players coming to the Texans for a final paycheck. I think they all worked out spectacularly. Romo and Peterson, what could go wrong?

19. jradMIT

jradMIT Hall of Fame

Romo's contract is not as bad as some would suggest, if acquired in a trade, his salary and cap hit for the Texans would be 14 million,

If you get into the details the Texans have more than enough cap room and roster flexibility,

26 Million Cap Room-
    54 players under contract
    Only the first 51 players count

Easy cuts
    Derek Newton 3.25 M
    Tony Bergstrom 2.9 M
    Brandon Weeden 2.1 M

Total 8.25 M

Cap Room = 25.6+ 8.25= 34M

Romo = 34-14 + 500k (51st players rolls off) = 20.5 M

FA keep BOuye sign 5 year 50M, 20 Mil guaranteed(you can debate if you should, but this would be what I think the most you should pay him) 1st year cap hit 6M -500k (2M salary + 4M prorated bonus)

Cap Room 15M

Sign a FA RT to a similar deal
    Cap HIT 5.5 M

Cap Room 9.5

7 rookies ~ 3.5 M this is because remember for each player added a player rolls off @500k

So (9-3.5) = 5.5M (this is essentially the same space leftover as last year)

Additional cuts to consider
    Chris Clark 2.75 M (if you sign a new starter, you can draft a swing tackle)

Eddie Pleasant 1.1 M
    JJO 6.5 M (if you want to make a bigger splash in FA)

All in all the cap won't prevent the Texans from acquiring Romo, how much OS makes matters not because he can be cut next year and there is room this year, A trade for Romo would mean none of his contract is guaranteed so you wouldn't be mortgaging the future, Romo can be acquired IMHO for a 4th plus a conditional 2018 pick based on health, Savage would get his shot when Romo inevitably misses time, but if he is healthy for a PO run, it's not crazy to think you can make a run to the Super Bowl, it's a low risk High reward IMHO, a fourth rounder is not something that would kill you if it doesn't pan out.

Lastly and kinda tongue in cheek, it would literally kill cowgirl fans if Romo came here and balled out to a SB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    redwhiteANDblue likes this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

It isn't ....

Mollywhopper likes this.