Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

How about Tony Romo in Houston

Would not Stephen Anderson 24 YOA be that TE? Pick up 1 or 2 to eval from UDFAs
In 13 games he had 11 receptions for 93 yards and 1 TD.
After a strong preseason I thought he'd do more in 2016.
He's just not consistent enough to warrant a starting job.

I'd rather just draft a TE in this deep draft class.
Unless we're still high on C.J. and Ryan Griffin.
Both of them drop too many balls for my taste.

And StarStruck, I'm 85 % confident Tony Romo will sign with the Texans.

Just a matter of waiting until the Cowboys release him.

You're going to have to get dirty & watch the film for most of the offensive players. There were handicaps you have to account for.
You're not suggesting Brock Osweiler's poor play are you? Because I thought he utilized the tight ends quite well throughout the season and also the playoffs. That was one of the very few strengths he surprised me with. Although all the dropped passes didn't help.

In fact, C.J. Fiedorwicz ranked 13th in the NFL in most targets among tight ends in 2016. Ryan Griffin ranked 26th. This was not far removed when the Texans ranked the worst among all statistical categories for tight end production. We didn't even have a tight ranked in the top 50 of that same category the previous year.

C.J. Fiedorwicz went from 24 targets in 2015 (pre Brock) to 89 targets in 2016. Ryan Griffin went from 34 targets in 2015 to 75 targets in 2016. On the surface that's impressive and you would think we'd be in good shape at tight end. But there weren't enough big plays (over 10 or 15 yards) and a lot of dropped passes.

You can say Brock Osweiler accuracy issues contributed to some of them, fair enough. I also saw a lot of dropped balls on pretty tight spirals that should have been caught.

But moving forward, especially if we bring in a quarterback upgrade like Tony Romo, I just want to know where can we improve, if any, at the tight end position? I'd like to have a tight end who doesn't drop a lot of balls. Then again I also want a #2 wide receiver that doesn't drop wide open passes deep down the field including Touchdowns.

I went back several times to watch every offensive play we had against the Super Bowl champion Patriots in the divisional round of the playoffs. What left me wanting more were all those dropped passes by C.J. and Will Fuller (dropped Touchdown pass). In a game we trailed by one score, 24-16 early in the fourth quarter. And I thought the passes were exactly where they had to be. We just needed our guys to step up and make the catch and they did not.

At any rate, I can't wait until Tony Romo is available and I'm very excited.

You're not suggesting Brock Osweiler's poor play are you?

Among other things. Before the season started there was a group of fans warning the offense may not look that great in 2016. New QB, new RB, rookie #2 & 3 WRs, then the injury thing hit the OL. Throw in poor game planning, play calling, & poor in game adjustments... Steven Anderson may be a stud. He still didn't have much of a problem getting open. Ball rarely went his way & when it did it was often off target... & that was when he was able to get on the field.

Among other things. Before the season started there was a group of fans warning the offense may not look that great in 2016. New QB, new RB, rookie #2 & 3 WRs, then the injury thing hit the OL. Throw in poor game planning, play calling, & poor in game adjustments... Steven Anderson may be a stud. He still didn't have much of a problem getting open. Ball rarely went his way & when it did it was often off target... & that was when he was able to get on the field.

I hope your right because the more weapons the merrier, I still think they should spend a pick on a TE this year somewhere in the draft.

BOP..Can you give targets for Anderson and include good passes he should have caught vs those not in his hoola hoop? 8.5 avg is decent and I think with a solid (when healthy) Qb he and others will be much improved.

I hope your right because the more weapons the merrier, I still think they should spend a pick on a TE this year somewhere in the draft.

I'm not saying we shouldn't draft a TE. I'm saying Amy analysis of Anderson has to go beyond stats.

As much as I hate to say it, I'd rather have Cutler. He has been injured also, but his injuries aren't the 3 back surgeries like Romo. Cutler has taken a similar built team to the conference champ game, he's 4 yrs younger,and he is in the last yr of his deal. The texans can offer a 5th that can be a 4th based on snaps. They can still draft a qb also in case Cutler gets hurt or wants more than what they want to pay. This can be the same as Brees - Rivers in San Diego. If that meant letting Bouye and simon go, as well as cutting Cushing,Newton, and Jackson or JJo, its worth it. The draft is deep with corners and lbs.

As much as I hate to say it, I'd rather have Cutler. He has been injured also, but his injuries aren't the 3 back surgeries like Romo. Cutler has taken a similar built team to the conference champ game, he's 4 yrs younger,and he is in the last yr of his deal. The texans can offer a 5th that can be a 4th based on snaps. They can still draft a qb also in case Cutler gets hurt or wants more than what they want to pay. This can be the same as Brees - Rivers in San Diego. If that meant letting Bouye and simon go, as well as cutting Cushing,Newton, and Jackson or JJo, its worth it. The draft is deep with corners and lbs.
Romo only had one surgeries for his back and one for his shoulder but Cutty really that makes no sense his 1 playoff win was a so-so game and his def got him to that champ. game

Romo only had one surgeries for his back and one for his shoulder but Cutty really that makes no sense his 1 playoff win was a so-so game and his def got him to that champ. game

Romo has had 3 back surgeries. Thing is, this qb situation should've been solved 3 yrs ago and we wouldn't be discussing taking older qbs with warts. I'm just saying imo I like the cutler contract option and potential better. I like his health better also which is huge,but not detrimental. Good qb play, this team can easily win 12 games. Its going to take at least that many to have homefield in afc. We know the patriots are winning at least 12 no matter what their schedule is. Romo can help this team win 12 also, I just don't trust his health.

Romo has had 3 back surgeries. Thing is, this qb situation should've been solved 3 yrs ago and we wouldn't be discussing taking older qbs with warts. I'm just saying imo I like the cutler contract option and potential better. I like his health better also which is huge,but not detrimental. Good qb play, this team can easily win 12 games. Its going to take at least that many to have homefield in afc. We know the patriots are winning at least 12 no matter what their schedule is. Romo can help this team win 12 also, I just don't trust his health.
Romo has not had 3 back surgeries i dont know why you keep saying 3 he had a cyst removed and then he had his 1 big surgery in 2013 its has never been 3 back surgeries

In 13 games he had 11 receptions for 93 yards and 1 TD.
After a strong preseason I thought he'd do more in 2016.
He's just not consistent enough to warrant a starting job.

I'd rather just draft a TE in this deep draft class.
Unless we're still high on C.J. and Ryan Griffin.
Both of them drop too many balls for my taste.

And StarStruck, I'm 85 % confident Tony Romo will sign with the Texans.

Just a matter of waiting until the Cowboys release him.

Anderson's stats may not have been impressive this past season but I think he's definitely in the Texans plans this season. After all, he was only an UDFA Rookie last year. Having said that, I do believe the Texans will not resign Griffin who is an UFA, and I also believe they will draft a TE this year. I have no idea what round they will take one but I won't be surprised if they took one in the 1st or 2nd round.

And really think that Romo IMHO will end up in Broncos country. That is what the rest of the experts are saying.

And really think that Romo IMHO will end up in Broncos country. That is what the rest of the experts are saying.
I hope not texans seem the best fit for him when it comes to his family location, division and team i think Romo would kick ass in a WCO like what brady runs quick passes so your q.b is not taking hits all day lots of Rub Routes some play action and a good run game

I hope so. Let them spend their resources while retarding the development of their two young QB's while building fan hopes only to come crashing down by mid season

me in my opinion thinks that tony romo will be better because of the surgeries. there is no report that the surgeries were unsuccessful and romo hasnt said they were unsuccessful. that means hes going to be just as good as when he was good. plus he has time off to let his body get better and he has the extra energy saved up to make a strong run to the superbowl with a good team.

me in my opinion thinks that tony romo will be better because of the surgeries. there is no report that the surgeries were unsuccessful and romo hasnt said they were unsuccessful. that means hes going to be just as good as when he was good. plus he has time off to let his body get better and he has the extra energy saved up to make a strong run to the superbowl with a good team.

And truthfully how many times have you heard a team or the players report that their surgeries were unsuccessful?

And truthfully how many times have you heard a team or the players report that their surgeries were unsuccessful?

Never

Just one time I want to hear a surgeon say, player X was really screwed up I've done the best I can but the odds of player X making it back are very low. Dr's said Theismann would make it back from his broken leg. I'm no Dr. but I knew the odds of him making it back were as close to zero as possible.

Just from recent memory I don't believe anyone gave glowing reports for Teddy Bridgewater or Jaylon Smith's surgeries. Yes they reported them as 'successful'. But I don't think that's really anything more than saying that the parts are put back in some good semblance of what they're supposed to be and things didn't get any worse. No one was ready to sing any positive tunes about their return timetables though. And no one is going to just outright say that a player is ultimately f*ck*d immediately following surgery.

A surgery on an NFL player is considered "successful," not when only the integrity of the parts are re-established, but on the condition that the integrity of his function has been re-established. If an NFL player breaks his neck and the cervical vertebrae are plated to reinstate and secure their segments, and if the player suffers permanent paralysis from the shoulders down, the surgery could hardly be considered a functional success for that NFL player.

Probably just me but I cannot get a solid understanding of how good Romo can be; opinions seem to be all over the board.

Probably just me but I cannot get a solid understanding of how good Romo can be; opinions seem to be all over the board.

I don't there are too, too many questions about his ability so much as his availability. If he can continually suit up and stay out there it's a good bet he can still ball. But man that's a heck of an if.

Reactions: JB
I don't there are too, too many questions about his ability so much as his availability. If he can continually suit up and stay out there it's a good bet he can still ball. But man that's a heck of an if.
6 games played got us Osweiler; 5 in two seasons makes us drool for Romo? Garoppolo had 6 games in 2016...

6 games played got us Osweiler; 5 in two seasons makes us drool for Romo? Garoppolo had 6 games in 2016...

Did I say anything about drooling for Romo?

And I'm quite certain I made the very specific point of mentioning not being able to count on his health.

Did I say anything about drooling for Romo?

And I'm quite certain I made the very specific point of mentioning not being able to count on his health.
You misunderstood and that is my fault. Your post I quoted was to include what you said not to criticize. Drooling referred to radio talk show talking heads and fans. I agree with your view of his health.

Garroppolo had 1.5 games this year as the starter, in his last 4 games he had a whopping 4 attempts and 1 completion.

Garroppolo had 1.5 games this year as the starter, in his last 4 games he had a whopping 4 attempts and 1 completion.

His last 4 games was mop up duty when the pats had a big lead. In his two starts he was 24 of 33 against the Cards with 1 TD and against the Dolphins he was 18 of 26 with 3 TD's.

Way to throw out misleading info

I can't see the Pats trading is JG if they think he is good for anything less than a king's ransom....if they trade him at all.

Makes no sense to strengthen a competitor who could take a significant jump with good qb play.

So....

Romo may be the only option out there if we want to even semi realistically compete for a SB next season.

I mean...you have JG, Romo, ?????, guys we already have and Rookies.....

Despite his injuries, Romo seems like the most plausible and best option of the bunch to start here next year.

I can't see the Pats trading is JG if they think he is good for anything less than a king's ransom....if they trade him at all.

Makes no sense to strengthen a competitor who could take a significant jump with good qb play.

So....

Romo may be the only option out there if we want to even semi realistically compete for a SB next season.

I mean...you have JG, Romo, ?????, guys we already have and Rookies.....

Despite his injuries, Romo seems like the most plausible and best option of the bunch to start here next year.

I'd much prefer to take a shot at JG as he's a potential long term solution .... As for why the Pats would move him this season , they risk losing him next offseason with no compensation or being forced to franchise tag him which comes with a hefty cap hit.

But .... Assuming South Oklahoma cuts Romo , he is as you say despite his injury history the best available option , one you have to try to secure - If you cant pry JG away from the Pats. It gives you a short , 1-2 year window of opportunity that you just don't get otherwise.

Doing nothing , entering the season with Os , Savage , Weeden & a rookie (or two) is just pissing away another year .... same old sh!t we've done the last 3 seasons with no more expectations than 9-7 and getting trounced in the second round.

This must have been posted somewhere, (more likely several times), but if Garapolo is that good, New England wouldn't be willing to let him go !

This must have been posted somewhere, (more likely several times), but if Garapolo is that good, New England wouldn't be willing to let him go !

why not? Brady has already stated he wants to play another 3 or 4 yrs or more, JG will be a free agent after this year and will demand a large contract from someone

why not? Brady has already stated he wants to play another 3 or 4 yrs or more, JG will be a free agent after this year and will demand a large contract from someone

I think a lot of this depends on Garappolo himself , is he content to sit behind Brady another year or two before taking over or does he want a shot sooner .... If he's content holding a clip board , getting paid and wearing Super Bowl rings ... he'll be easier for them to resign
If not and he wants his shot now not later he'll definitely play hardball in negotiating his next contract with the Pats. Could potentially lead to a franchise tag being used on him (not saying its likely , just possible) which is ~$20m per or him walking .... with no compensation to the franchise other than a comp pick.

If it comes down to a franchise tag situation or JG walking out of NE .... they are better off getting something for him now than dealing with that next offseason.

I could see them moving him .... but damn , backup QB behind a guy like Brady has to be the worlds best job. Get paid millions , hot chicks , free seats at the game .... all for throwing a few footballs at practice.

I think a lot of this depends on Garappolo himself , is he content to sit behind Brady another year or two before taking over or does he want a shot sooner .... If he's content holding a clip board , getting paid and wearing Super Bowl rings ... he'll be easier for them to resign
If not and he wants his shot now not later he'll definitely play hardball in negotiating his next contract with the Pats. Could potentially lead to a franchise tag being used on him (not saying its likely , just possible) which is ~$20m per or him walking .... with no compensation to the franchise other than a comp pick.

If it comes down to a franchise tag situation or JG walking out of NE .... they are better off getting something for him now than dealing with that next offseason.

I could see them moving him .... but damn , backup QB behind a guy like Brady has to be the worlds best job. Get paid millions , hot chicks , free seats at the game .... all for throwing a few footballs at practice.

If he's content being the bench warmer another 3-4 years, not sure I want him

I stuck this (rightfully) in the "What's your plan for QB" thread. I'm putting it here because I don't like the Romo-to-Texans idea.

The Redskins keep p*ssy-footing around with Kirk Cousins.
Make the Redskins a trade offer for him. I'd give up our 1st (or a couple of 2nds) for Cousins without blinking.
Dude's a baller.
Not injury prone like Romo.
Not ancient like Cutler.
Waaaay more experience than Garoppolo.
Has performed well in two different offensive systems (Shanahan and Gruden) so he should be able to adapt to O'Brien's.
What's not to like? am I missing something? Yeah, I know he'll be pricey.

I stuck this (rightfully) in the "What's your plan for QB" thread. I'm putting it here because I don't like the Romo-to-Texans idea.

The Redskins keep p*ssy-footing around with Kirk Cousins.
Make the Redskins a trade offer for him. I'd give up our 1st (or a couple of 2nds) for Cousins without blinking.
Dude's a baller.
Not injury prone like Romo.
Not ancient like Cutler.
Waaaay more experience than Garoppolo.
Has performed well in two different offensive systems (Shanahan and Gruden) so he should be able to adapt to O'Brien's.
What's not to like? am I missing something? Yeah, I know he'll be pricey.

I'm all for it if Washington doesn't re-sign him. I never thought it a real possibility; surely they'll re-sign him.

The issue with Cousins is that he has stated he is only willing to go to one other team, the 49ers.

His last 4 games was mop up duty when the pats had a big lead. In his two starts he was 24 of 33 against the Cards with 1 TD and against the Dolphins he was 18 of 26 with 3 TD's.

Way to throw out misleading info

It was said that he played six games, Os had played in 5 the year before etc, and I thought saying 6 games was quite misleading.

Adrian Peterson was released a few hours ago wasn't he?
Didn't he list the Texans as one of the teams he'd play for?
We would need a hometown discount. AP lives here too!
I was dreaming about a Romo and Peterson backfield, LOL.

The Dallas Morning News reported Monday that the Cowboys "again have interest" in the 37-year-old veteran after investigating a trade for McCown last summer when he was a member of the Browns.

A Texas native, McCown played at SMU and Sam Houston State and is on the record saying that he would like to continue his career for at least another season.

Offensive Rookie of the Year Dak Prescott is the unquestioned starter in Dallas, but the Cowboys could use depth at the position once Romo is cut free. The team is also expected to re-sign Kellen Moore, but the 27-year-old boasts just two NFL starts.

McCown is a plus athlete and excellent teammate with plenty of good tape over the years. Staying healthy, though, has been a consistent issue for the veteran.

That hasn't stopped "four or five teams" from reaching out to McCown's camp about his availability for next season. He's as close as you'll come to a player-coach in today's NFL, and a team like the Cowboys would make plenty of sense as a late-career landing spot.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-cowboys-reportedly-interested-in-josh-mccown

my sources tell me that cousins has been franchised by redskins. no longer an option for the texans. will post more when i get more info.

my sources tell me that cousins has been franchised by redskins. no longer an option for the texans. will post more when i get more info.
by franchising him they have more time for a long term deal or a trade, it does not mean they are done here with Cousins in 2017

Back