Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

How about Tony Romo in Houston

May very well be. Won't change that the Texans are in the bidding, 2 bids so far at least.

Losing?

Hopefully they spend Bouye's $$$$ to fix the OL. I still wouldn't be against Bringing Marty B/AD home and fix the OL with the $$$$ saved from Bouye. Of course I'm a bit of a homer, but you could do worse.

Instead I think they will make a Luke Joeckel type move.

Losing?

Hopefully they spend Bouye's $$$$ to fix the OL. I still wouldn't be against Bringing Marty B/AD home and fix the OL with the $$$$ saved from Bouye. Of course I'm a bit of a homer, but you could do worse.

Instead I think they will make a Luke Joeckel type move.
Yep - I'm thinking this draft is weak on OL but strong on DB's so let Bouye walk, draft a good CB to replace him and like you say, spend the money on OL - and a QB of course!
A competent QB and oline will fix most of the woes of this offense.
Meanwhile, the D should be good enough - especially if they can come onto the field fresh and excited from their O scoring often.

What happens if Romo is a June 1 cut as it seems he will be?

He's available for other teams, the Cowboys have to hold his $24M+ salary cap figure on their payroll until June 2, at which time they'll account a split of the remaining dead money ($18-19M) against the cap in 2017 and 2018. At that point, their salary cap figure for him will reduce from approx $24M to approx $10M in 2017.

Big thing about the June 1st cut, outside of them splitting his dead money over 2 years instead of 1, is that the Cowboys won't have that additional $14M in cap space to spend over the early portion of FA. They'll need roughly $5.5-6M of that for rookies, but that's still quite a bit to "have," but be unable to spend.

This whole Tony Romo thing is starting to get that Asomugha feel to it. I never thought I would say this, but...if the Texans are going to go the veteran QB route, I would rather it be Romo than Cuntler. I'm just not feeling the Pace (
rimshot-1.gif
)
of the way things are going down though.

I think Mr. Ed is still upset on what he thought back then was getting fked over by the Texans. So, I think he will go out of his way to get Romo signed. I don't think he will stall (
rimshot-1.gif
) on getting the deal done.

I'm going to venture out on a limb and say that Bob McNair will be true to his nature and pattern of behavior that he can buy a Championship and throw enough money at Tony Romo to sign with the Texans. Denver will allow Houston the opportunity to shoot themselves in their other foot. McNair believes that will be all he needs to punch his ticket to Minneapolis for Super Bowl LII. Unfortunately Romo will not finish the 2017 season and the Texans will finish under .500. UUMMM MALI MALI UUMMM.

I'm going to venture out on a limb and say that Bob McNair will be true to his nature and pattern of behavior that he can buy a Championship and throw enough money at Tony Romo to sign with the Texans. Denver will allow Houston the opportunity to shoot themselves in their other foot. McNair believes that will be all he needs to punch his ticket to Minneapolis for Super Bowl LII. Unfortunately Romo will not finish the 2017 season and the Texans will finish under .500. UUMMM MALI MALI UUMMM.
Motion seconded....

If we sign Romo, will this be an OB decision or will it be on McNair/Smith? If we sign Romo, is he already the starter? Is this OB's decision? If we sign Romo and he starts and we fail to make the playoffs, is this on OB?

If we sign Romo is this another case of management forcing decisions on the coaching staff?

Even if the Texans sign Romo for 2017, it has to be an open competition at QB so the very best goes under center. The combatants, Osweiler, Savage, Weeden and Romo. If I'm a betting man, Savage would win the competition followed closely by Weeden. Romo would need a season to become fully effective or Obie will have to limit his playbook once again while the defense carries the torch. Is this horrible? It depends on how effective the offense can be running the same predictable plays...at a potentially higher success rate. I'm just not sold on the idea that the Texans could have that much money tied up in 2 QB's finishing behind the 2 lesser paid of the 4. How would the Texans handle the financial disaster known as Osweiler since he would probably finish last in this type of competition.

As fans, how would we view 2017 if Romo and Osweiler were anointed QB1 and QB2 b/c of their salaries but were less effective than Savage and Weeden in a straight-up competition? You have to figure that this would also include trading Savage, Weeden or both if the team uses a RD1 thru RD3 pick on a QB. A RD1 thru RD3 QB would have to make the 53 man roster since the team couldn't hide him on the PS for a season. In this scenario, the team has sent Savage and Weeden packing...so, gone are the only 2 QB's who have complete knowledge of Obie's entire playbook. Romo goes down to injury (big possibility), Osweiler has to come in and continues his woeful play and the only other option is a developmental rookie QB who doesn't possess enough system knowledge to avoid making the Texans offense 100% one-dimensional. That is far scarier than my option.

My option. Keep Savage, Weeden, Osweiler, sign Keenum and draft a developmental QB (Chad Kelly) late. 5 QB's in camp. 4 QB's competing for 3 QB spots on the 53 man roster. Developmental QB is moved to the PS where he can learn the system at an easier pace while re-learning the position and correcting any mechanical issues. Developmental QB will be ready for the QB competition in 2018. The 3 winners from the 2017 competition are only on the financial books for 2017, which keeps the 2018 QB options healthy if need be. The Texans blundered horribly by signing Osweiler and cannot afford to compound this by signing another often-injured veteran QB to another contract that at minimum will have to include 2 years of guaranteed money. The team already has Savage and Weeden for more than affordable money. Keenum would come extremely cheap for a season. If Osweiler and this defense (less Watt) can put 9 (+1) victories on the books for 2016, then there isn't a doubt in my mind that a 2017 Texans team led by Savage, Weeden and Keenum plus a healthy Watt could better these totals especially if the team addresses RT and RG

Well next year's draft class has the best QB class in a long time

If we sign Romo, will this be an OB decision or will it be on McNair/Smith? If we sign Romo, is he already the starter? Is this OB's decision? If we sign Romo and he starts and we fail to make the playoffs, is this on OB?

If we sign Romo is this another case of management forcing decisions on the coaching staff?

McNair is 80 years old. The proverbial window is quite literally closing. I can't speak for an 80 year old because I can't walk in those shoes. I can only guess there must be some feelings of trepidation and desperation to make something happen, sooner and NOT later.

IMHO...yes! Oh...throw that Osweiler decision into the pile as well! Nothing like compounding mistakes.

McNair is 80 years old. The proverbial window is quite literally closing. I can't speak for an 80 year old because I can't walk in those shoes. I can only guess there must be some feelings of trepidation and desperation to make something happen, sooner and NOT later.
Within this scenario, I'd take Smith out of the loop. I'd call your head coach in and tell him I want to win now, maybe give a two year window, and ask him how he wants to roll with the QB positition to accomplish this; and tell him to convince me.

As an owner in this situation, you have to have confidence in your head coach, or he already should have been fired, and you have to put it all in the hands of the guy who has to get it done on Sunday.

Sounds like most NFL fan's dream come true - an owner desperate to win a Super Bowl and willing to swing for the fences to make it happen. Poor guy can't win for losing -- he's either a greedy old codger laughing at Texans fans on the way to the bank because the only thing he cares about is filling the stands, or he's a deranged old man hell bent on winning Super Bowls before his own Super Bowl in the sky, rabidly throwing money at talent in an effort to go out in a blaze of glory. Maybe one of these is true, and maybe he just wants to win Super Bowls and has some ideas on how to go about it?

Everything is truly McNair's fault. It's his team.

Everything will be blamed on BOB just like it was blamed on Kubes

Nothing is EVER Ricky McNair's fault

Wash /Rinse/Repeat

I think you're wrong here.

Signing Romo keeps the fanbase happy.

Gotta keep cashin those checks.

At this pint, the Texans are either going to be stuck with Romo or Cutler right? Taylor resigned and Glennon got some stupid contract.

No way the Texans role with the shitty boy band that was last year's QBs

At this pint, the Texans are either going to be stuck with Romo or Cutler right? Taylor resigned and Glennon got some stupid contract.

No way the Texans role with the shitty boy band that was last year's QBs

Might roll with some of them and a rookie. Actually that's my preferred route.

Reactions: Max
Curious what you'd prefer to do given the current options..

Roll with what we have, draft a QB, and concentrate on improving the OL. Oh, but I guess that's not sexy enough for the 'fanbase', huh?

Everyone on the board and the NFL network falling all over themselves over a 38 year old multiple neck, multiple back surgery has been/never was, who has done jack fricken squat in the playoffs except figuring out how to blow the game all by himself.

What a gag fest.

Everyone on the board and the NFL network falling all over themselves over a 38 year old multiple neck, multiple back surgery has been/never was, who has done jack fricken squat in the playoffs except figuring out how to blow the game all by himself.

What a gag fest.

There are a few of us here that have stated NO. Not only NO, but hell NO.

No to Romo and NO to Cutler. Now if Cousins was available, might have to seriously consider that one.

How do incentives factor into a team's finances and available cap room?

The are categorized as either likely (similar to a past season or within player control like showing up to get a workout bonus) or unlikely to be earned. Likely goes on this year's running cap calculation. Unlikely does not. At the end of the season there is a reconciliation on what was actually earned. Cap space taken up with LTBE bonuses which is ultimately not used can be carried forward.

How do incentives factor into a team's finances and available cap room?
Let me rephrase. Could we release Weeden and save/gain $1.625M in cap room. Could we then sign Romo to a base salary of $1.625M with incentives which would be passed on to 2018? Essentially, for 2017 financially, simply swapping Romo for Weeden?

There are a few of us here that have stated NO. Not only NO, but hell NO.

No to Romo and NO to Cutler. Now if Cousins was available, might have to seriously consider that one.
Kirk Cousins is so overrated and overpaid it's not even funny.
Brock Osweiler has more playoff wins than Kirk Cousins.
Talk to me when Cousins sees a divisional round of a playoff game.
He's like the ultimate stat padder. YOU LIKE THAT!!!!
Cousins, in a lot of ways, reminds me of Matthew Stafford.
Guys like that never get past the wild-card game. Their teams are never great.

I would rather have Tony Romo to be honest.
The dude has a lot of toughness and is aging.
All he wants to do is win a ring before he retires in two or three years.

Let me rephrase. Could we release Weeden and save/gain $1.625M in cap room. Could we then sign Romo to a base salary of $1.625M with incentives which would be passed on to 2018? Essentially, for 2017 financially, simply swapping Romo for Weeden?
From a league/CBA standpoint, I'm pretty sure we could. From a Tony Romo standpoint - my guess is no. I think Romo's gonna be willing to take less than market, and take on incentives, but I really doubt he goes that much below market.

I don't have a problem at all if the Texans figure out how to take a flyer on Romo. Obviously, the 2017 figures will be dictated by the cap to some extent. If there's any (and I mean any) guaranteed money in year two or beyond, then I'm absolutely against it. I don't care if they make his year 2 base salary $20-plus million as long as it's not guaranteed in any way shape or form.

Last edited:
Reactions: Max
From a league/CBA standpoint, I'm pretty sure we could. From a Tony Romo standpoint - my guess is no. I think Romo's gonna be willing to take less than market, and take on incentives, but I really doubt he goes that much below market.

I don't have a problem at all if the Texans figure out how to take a flyer on Romo. Obviously, the 2017 figures will be dictated by the cap to some extent. If there's any (and I mean any) guaranteed money in year two or beyond, then I'm absolutely against it. I don't care if they make his year 2 base salary $20-plus million as long as it's not guaranteed in any way shape or form.
But if Romo is released by Dallas, won't he still be paid about $5M by Dallas?

My guess is Romo currently wants and is negotiating for an Osweiler type contract. Why wouldn't he?

But if Romo is released by Dallas, won't he still be paid about $5M by Dallas?
No - there's no guaranteed money of any sort left on his Dallas contract.

The Cowboys have $5 Million of unamortized signing bonus left on the contract (and even more in unamortized restructure bonus), but that represents money Tony's already received - not anything left to pay in 2017.

Tony Romo and Jay Cutler are both available now.
Both of them are just oozing with intrigue at the buffet line.
What are Rick Smith and Bill O'Brien talking about right now?

My guess is Romo currently wants and is negotiating for an Osweiler type contract. Why wouldn't he?
Maybe he will, and maybe there's someone out there waiting to do that for him, but of the teams that are both legitimate Super Bowl contenders with a Tony Romo, and are believed to have interest in him, who's gonna do that?

Tony's scheduled base salary for 2017 is (was?) $14 Million. That's what a team trading for him would have had to pay him in cash, and that's what a team trading for him would have charged against the 2017 cap. Considering I'm guessing the Cowboys would have taken virtually nothing for him (as opposed to cutting him and getting literally nothing for him), if someone was planning on a Brock Osweiler type contract, why wouldn't they have pulled the trigger on a trade instead?

Back