Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

How about Tony Romo in Houston

Adam Schefter

✔@AdamSchefter

Stunner: Texans trade Brock Osweiler AND 2018 2nd-rd pick to CLEV for Browns to take Osweiler contract off Houston books, sources tell ESPN.

2:36 PM - 9 Mar 2017
So we're rolling with Savage, Weeden, and un-named rookie QB from this draft.

If I were a QB I wouldn't want to start for O'Brien. He's three-for-three in running his former starters out of town after only one year under center.
And that's after telling all of Houston how (in each case) 'wonderful' they are.

So we're rolling with Savage, Weeden, and un-named rookie QB from this draft.

If I were a QB I wouldn't want to start for O'Brien. He's three-for-three in running his former starters out of town after only one year under center.
And that's after telling all of Houston how (in each case) 'wonderful' they are.

This might be O'Brien's way of saying he's been preparing to have Savage be his starter...heck, he's the only QB O'Brien has ever drafted. Luck, Bortles and Mariota were all year 1 starters and in OJT systems. O'Brien has taken his time preparing Savage...maybe he's finally ready to pull the cover.

Everyone is praising the trade...........I'm cringing. I'm sure this was done to get Romo. Romo will be collecting his money on the sideline sooner than later. Good way to set up failure for O'Brien. And one thing that is not brought up...........next year there will be several legitimate top 10 QBs coming out of college. With the loss of next year's 2nd rnd pick, our chances of being able to obtain one by primary pick or move up pick becomes almost gone. Once I stopped and thought this out, this move is starting to smell very rancid. The move's result is destined to lead to failure.......with the blame being automatically assigned to O'Brien, and with the release of a coach lauded by many NFL mavens This "great" move, as I see it, will haunt the Texans way beyond this season.

Everyone is praising the trade...........I'm cringing. I'm sure this was done to get Romo. Romo will be collecting his money on the sideline sooner than later. Good way to set up failure for O'Brien. And one thing that is not brought up...........next year there will be several legitimate top 10 QBs coming out of college. With the loss of next year's 2nd rnd pick, our chances of being able to obtain one by primary pick or move up pick becomes almost gone. Once I stopped and thought this out, this move is starting to smell very rancid. The move's result is destined to lead to failure.......with the blame being automatically assigned to O'Brien, and with the release of a coach lauded by many NFL mavens This "great" move, as I see it, will haunt the Texans way beyond this season.

With the loss of Bouye...Texans might have just gained a RD3 COMP Pick. Could wind up being a late RD2 for a late RD3.

Both the NFL Network and ESPN have said that O'Brien "loves Tony Romo". This was on the crawl so I don't have a link.
Point is, if the move stinks because Romo lands here and doesn't make it through the season, it's on O'Brien. If Romo masters this system and QB play dramatically improves (gotta think positive sometimes :)) then O'Brien comes out smelling like a rose.

This might be O'Brien's way of saying he's been preparing to have Savage be his starter...heck, he's the only QB O'Brien has ever drafted. Luck, Bortles and Mariota were all year 1 starters and in OJT systems. O'Brien has taken his time preparing Savage...maybe he's finally ready to pull the cover.

I think this is proof that BOB is pulling something under the cover...:splits:

If Texans end up around about this position in the 2018 draft, it will take more than a first and a second to move up into the top 5.

Both the NFL Network and ESPN have said that O'Brien "loves Tony Romo". This was on the crawl so I don't have a link.
Point is, if the move stinks because Romo lands here and doesn't make it through the season, it's on O'Brien. If Romo masters this system and QB play dramatically improves (gotta think positive sometimes :)) then O'Brien comes out smelling like a rose.

Hopefully the system is thrown to shreds and O'Brien just shuts the **** up and lets Romo or Cutler do what they do.

Don't need O'Brien ruining another quarterback.

55972254-ambulance-on-an-interstate.jpg

Romo headed to Houston to talk to the Texans :joker:

These two things are not connected. You cannot connect them and make them into one move. If they don't do this, they get both.

I agree. There are so many things wrong with this whole situation, so I'm just trying to find a way to see this as a glass half full move.

I truly hope RS is looking in the mirror. He should've never made such a fool hardy trade last season and hopefully O'Brien has convinced McNair that trading or signing Romo isn't the right move for this team. I think O'Brien is coaching for his HC job this season. I wanted Savage to get his chance this past season but due to RS/McNair's interference, Osweiler got what should have been Savage's first starting season. Savage is going to be QB1, Weeden is QB2 and the Texans could sign a veteran (cheap) to compete for QB3 if they draft a QB late. If they go QB high in the draft, then he's QB3 next season.

This only gets better if the Texans do something special with their new RD4-01 pick. Let the healing hopefully begin.

I'm going to venture out on a limb and say that Bob McNair will be true to his nature and pattern of behavior that he can buy a Championship and throw enough money at Tony Romo to sign with the Texans. Denver will allow Houston the opportunity to shoot themselves in their other foot. McNair believes that will be all he needs to punch his ticket to Minneapolis for Super Bowl LII. Unfortunately Romo will not finish the 2017 season and the Texans will finish under .500. UUMMM MALI MALI UUMMM.

I want to argue with because, you know, you're you...
but it is hard to argue with your take on this one. :)

So, with Romo's contract status... Given the room the Texans have under the cap now and the huge signing Buoye received (+ Demps), shouldn't the Texans simply give the Cowboys a 6th round pick and secure Romo + place them in a position to receive a 3rd round compensatory pick for the Buoye signing?

I agree. There are so many things wrong with this whole situation, so I'm just trying to find a way to see this as a glass half full move.

I truly hope RS is looking in the mirror. He should've never made such a fool hardy trade last season and hopefully O'Brien has convinced McNair that trading or signing Romo isn't the right move for this team. I think O'Brien is coaching for his HC job this season. I wanted Savage to get his chance this past season but due to RS/McNair's interference, Osweiler got what should have been Savage's first starting season. Savage is going to be QB1, Weeden is QB2 and the Texans could sign a veteran (cheap) to compete for QB3 if they draft a QB late. If they go QB high in the draft, then he's QB3 next season.

This only gets better if the Texans do something special with their new RD4-01 pick. Let the healing hopefully begin.
Osweiler was better than Savage. Savage got a shot after the Osweiler experiment and didn't do any better than Osweiler and got hurt again on top of that.

This is where it originated.....Bleacher Report's Jason Cole.

Jason Cole‏Verified account@JasonColeBR 2h2 hours ago

Was told during the combine that #Texans coach Bill O'Brien "loves" QB Tony Romo. Wants him badly.

And you believe he said that.

So, with Romo's contract status... Given the room the Texans have under the cap now and the huge signing Buoye received (+ Demps), shouldn't the Texans simply give the Cowboys a 6th round pick and secure Romo + place them in a position to receive a 3rd round compensatory pick for the Buoye signing?

We don't have a 6th anymore. Could be a 7th but Cowboys will probably tell us to kick rocks and hold out for a 4th/5th because we have no other options.

Meanwhile, Jerry is pulling back saying he isn't sure if the Boys are going to release Romo without getting something for him. With the Texans playing their hand "early", Jerry is bound to add insult to injury.

I was thinking that myself. This is one gaffe that the O'Brien detractors can't blame on him. Unless they make something up out of thin air. Time to try and save face and let Romo go to the Broncos and sign some high end FA offensive linemen like it was the plan all along. Don't make this any worse.

Good analysis. If we trade for Romo, we should get a comp 3rd. If the Cowboys cut him & we sign him we lose the 3rd round comp. Would be ahead to trade next year's 4th for him. Or we could try to get a QB without an AARP card and a broken back ... nah, now I'm being crazy...

It's a trade. Don't the Brown assume the cap number?

Normally no. Not the guaranteed portion.

I remember the 49ers tried to get the Browns/Broncos to take a portion of Kaepernick's guaranteed money. Neither team was willing to do so.

I bet that's where Rick got the idea. He really sweetened the pot with that 2nd round pick. So much that the Browns are already talking about cutting Osweiler.

Jason Cole

✔@JasonColeBR

Was told during the combine that #Texans coach Bill O'Brien "loves" QB Tony Romo. Wants him badly.

3:11 PM - 9 Mar 2017

Personally I don't think bringing Romo in would be a good move for us. Health issues.

That said, if he can play an entire season, wouldn't he be the best QB in the AFCSouth?

I understand it's asinine to ignore his health issues. But ignore it just to answer this question.

Meanwhile, Jerry is pulling back saying he isn't sure if the Boys are going to release Romo without getting something for him. With the Texans playing their hand "early", Jerry is bound to add insult to injury.

News report on Dallas still thinking trade was announced before the Texans move.

Normally no. Not the guaranteed portion.

It's not about guaranteed or not. It's who paid it. All the signing bonus and prorated restructure bonuses haven't been accounted for by Dallas or Houston yet but have been paid. So if a player is cut or traded that money that has been paid but hasn't been accounted stays.

Trade a player with a contract which still has guaranteed money but it hasn't been paid, that goes to the new team both for payment and cap.

Whoever cuts the check has to put it on their cap.

News report on Dallas still thinking trade was announced before the Texans move.
I understand that Jerry first announced on Feb 10 that he may be keeping Romo . But I sincerely doubt that it bypassed Jerry that the Texans were getting desperate to get Romo, way before the Texans move.

I understand that Jerry first announced on Feb 10 that he may be keeping Romo . But I sincerely doubt that it bypassed Jerry that the Texans were getting desperate to get Romo, way before the Texans move.

No I mean yesterday it was reported Romo was going to be cut today. Then this morning there were reports that had been put on hold for more time to explore a trade. A few hours later the Texans trade was announced.

And I have seen nothing about desperate to get Romo yet.

No I mean yesterday it was reported Romo was going to be cut today. Then this morning there were reports that had been put on hold for more time to explore a trade. A few hours later the Texans trade was announced.

And I have seen nothing about desperate to get Romo yet.
Only thing i see is if the cowboys feel denverand houston would get desperate. And one decides that picks will secure that they get hom

Only thing i see is if the cowboys feel denverand houston would get desperate. And one decides that picks will secure that they get hom

There is also a downside for the Cowboys to trade. It removes the possibility for a June 1 cut designation, and they would have to eat the entire dead hit this season. So, wondering if they're waiting for something likea 4rd pick or higher, or if they would take anything and lose the ability to stretch out some of the dead money consequences.

When you watch the Romo highlights he has a day and half behind the best OL in football to throw the football. In Houston he will have less than 4 seconds. If he can't stay healthy behind the best OL in football how will he stay healthy behind one of the worst.

When you watch the Romo highlights he has a day and half behind the best OL in football to throw the football. In Houston he will have less than 4 seconds. If he can't stay healthy behind the best OL in football how will he stay healthy behind one of the worst.

I'm not sure I want Romo either (for health reasons), but we don't know what our OL is going to be like this year

Cowboys are probably getting Smith/McNair to bid against themselves. Please just hold out. If we get him when he hits FA fine even though I would rather not. Just don't give up a draft choice to the Cowboys.

Reactions: Max
Cowboys are probably getting Smith/McNair to bid against themselves. Please just hold out. If we get him when he hits FA fine even though I would rather not. Just don't give up a draft choice to the Cowboys.
Jerry Jones is going to make the Texans and Broncos start a bidding war trade wise. In the end we may have to pony up one of those fourth-round picks we have. I'm only kidding. Well, knowing Rick Smith. LOL don't be surprised by anything at this point!

Romo still has a lot of potential and the chance to lead a team for another 3-4 years easy. Besides...

latest

lol @ Mangini talking about us having a "good system" and "good special teams" and then the Eric Davis saying we have a "better OL" than some of the other team's "he's looking at." And then Cris Carter talking about he likes the way O'Brien "teaches the game" and "the little things" and "the fundamentals and how the game is played" which was somehow on display in the Texans organization.....?

My goodness. These people don't know a ******* thing.

I like draft picks. I'm not looking forward to Romo being a Texans.

But for this, let's think about it. If we trade for Romo, it's for $14M this year. If it doesn't work out, or he gets hurt again & decides to retire it doesn't affect us for the 2018 cap or the 2019 cap.

If I were in the, "Let's give Romo a shot." camp, I would much rather give up a conditional 6/7th from the 2018 draft than to see him hit FA & have to sign him for multiple years. Possibly even more than $14M this year.

Once he reaches FA, some team might offer him $20M. Is he going to turn down $6M because he thinks we give him a better shot at a championship?

Hopefully it will look something like this

Brown/XSF/Martin/Mancz/High draft pick

Reserves Allen/High draft pick.

I wouldn't be surprised to see

Brown/Mancz/Martin/Allen/XSF

Midrounddraftpick & UDFA1, UDFA2 as reserves.

I like draft picks. I'm not looking forward to Romo being a Texans.

But for this, let's think about it. If we trade for Romo, it's for $14M this year. If it doesn't work out, or he gets hurt again & decides to retire it doesn't affect us for the 2018 cap or the 2019 cap.

If I were in the, "Let's give Romo a shot." camp, I would much rather give up a conditional 6/7th from the 2018 draft than to see him hit FA & have to sign him for multiple years. Possibly even more than $14M this year.

Once he reaches FA, some team might offer him $20M. Is he going to turn down $6M because he thinks we give him a better shot at a championship?
I could see fanboy and fanowner giving up much more. A conditional 6/7 would not bother me.

Back