Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

How about Tony Romo in Houston

If he's content being the bench warmer another 3-4 years, not sure I want him

Not stating that as fact , just that its a possibility that he's content to rake in millions behind Brady another year or two before getting his shot with arguably the best coach in the history of the game .... I could understand that and if I were in that position , think it would be a tough decision even if I really wanted to be a starter now. Hell he's one play from being the starter for that team as it is.

I stuck this (rightfully) in the "What's your plan for QB" thread. I'm putting it here because I don't like the Romo-to-Texans idea.

The Redskins keep p*ssy-footing around with Kirk Cousins.
Make the Redskins a trade offer for him. I'd give up our 1st (or a couple of 2nds) for Cousins without blinking.
Dude's a baller.
Not injury prone like Romo.
Not ancient like Cutler.
Waaaay more experience than Garoppolo.
Has performed well in two different offensive systems (Shanahan and Gruden) so he should be able to adapt to O'Brien's.
What's not to like? am I missing something? Yeah, I know he'll be pricey.

I'm all for it if Washington doesn't re-sign him. I never thought it a real possibility; surely they'll re-sign him.

Redskins franchise tagged Cousins.
Will get 20 mil next season.

I don't think anyone ever doubted the Skins would franchise tag him if they couldn't get a deal done .... That's why his name never really came up.

Would have been an interesting forum conversation .... but they did tag him just like we thought they would.

Reactions: JB
How many surgeons did your dream have in it?
It's a gamble worth taking especially with J.J. Watt making a comeback of his own from two back surgeries. Our window to win isn't that big. I hope we go for it all in 2017. What do we have to lose? We'll probably be a rebuilding team again in four years.

I think during the next three years we could win a Super Bowl or two if we make these notable moves in free agency and get lucky with some good health. I'm all for trying to win a ring. This city hasn't seen one in a long time.

It's a gamble worth taking especially with J.J. Watt making a comeback of his own from two back surgeries. Our window to win isn't that big. I hope we go for it all in 2017. What do we have to lose? We'll probably be a rebuilding team again in four years.

I think during the next three years we could win a Super Bowl or two if we make these notable moves in free agency and get lucky with some good health. I'm all for trying to win a ring. This city hasn't seen one in a long time.

so we only need 43 surgeons on call? :hurrah:

Long time like never?

Hate to break it to you, but we've *been* rebuilding since 2013.

This team is not "built."

Our 2014, 2015 and 2016 teams were all "winning teams" though. I thought all of them were quite successful as well when you consider the inconsistencies, key injuries and poor quarterback play that we've been getting.

Hopefully 2017 is the year that we not only have a capable quarterback snapping the ball, but we'll also see J.J. Watt and Jadeveon Clowney play a full season healthy together.

If the above happens we're very much a Super Bowl contender entering the 2017 season. We're right there with the Patriots, Steelers and Chiefs in the AFC IMO.

I see you've been hanging out with Steel and Tex. 10-12-x-9-9 ... which one season are you fixated on? We were damn near built ... we're still pretty close in spite of hiring a limp coach and his highschool offense. RAC has picked up right where Wade left off and is carrying us. Sadly we've been DESTROYING since 2013 instead of building. WR? RB? O-Line? QB? which aspect of our offense is better now than it was in our record breaking coach firing season?

Our 2014, 2015 and 2016 teams were all "winning teams" though. I thought all of them were quite successful as well when you consider the inconsistencies, key injuries and poor quarterback play that we've been getting.

Hopefully 2017 is the year that we not only have a capable quarterback snapping the ball, but we'll also see J.J. Watt and Jadeveon Clowney play a full season healthy together.

If the above happens we're very much a Super Bowl contender entering the 2017 season. We're right there with the Patriots, Steelers and Chiefs in the AFC IMO.

If we have ANY quarterback snapping the ball, we're in serious trouble

When reading Dr. Chao's material, keep in mind that he is very team, team doctor and player "generous" ever since he lost his position as the Chargers' team doctor due to some very serious professional concerns..........and has been vying for team favorability and another team doctor position ever since. If you follow him, you will quickly note that he will never be critical of team doctors' medical/surgical treatment of players, and seldom gives\assigns poor prognosis to a player's situation.

When reading Dr. Chao's material, keep in mind that he is very team, team doctor and player "generous" ever since he lost his position as the Chargers' team doctor due to some very serious professional concerns..........and has been vying for team favorability and another team doctor position ever since. If you follow him, you will quickly note that he will never be critical of team doctors' medical/surgical treatment of players, and seldom gives\assigns poor prognosis to a player's situation.
You got that right. I don't believe him on any medical issue.

I follow him just to see how his and yours opinions/assessments differ. :)

You got that right. I don't believe him on any medical issue.

For you or anyone else interested, this article chronicles Dr. Chao's laundry list of professional problems, only through 2013. [Of particular note is the lengthy 2010 DEA investigation which ended with no charges. In 2010, DEA agents searched Chao's offices because they alleged he had written 108 prescriptions to himself since 2008. The probe eventually closed strangely without charges.............not because no malfeasance existed, but because “with the DEA's guidance, he is now in compliance with the requirements of the Controlled Substances Act.”]

********************************************************************************************************************

And this decision by the California Medical Board has just been handed down:

Former Chargers doctor gets probation
David Chao supplied Junior Seau with Ambien, known to worsen depression
By Don Bauder, Feb. 24, 2017

The Medical Board of California has given Dr. David Jee Wei Chao, former Chargers physician, four years of probation. In April of last year, the board accused the doctor of repeated negligent acts, unprofessional conduct, failure to keep accurate records, and other matters.

Junior Seau when he played for the New England Patriots (2006–2009)

Chao was a close friend of late Chargers star Junior Seau as well as his physician. Seau committed suicide in 2012, and it was later determined that he had suffered chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a severe kind of brain injury, as a result of his two decades of professional football.

In the past year and a half of Seau's life, Chao had written him 14 prescriptions for Ambien, a controlled substance that can worsen the effects of depression and suicidal thoughts, the board noted. Chao had declared that Seau was free of depression or psychological issues one week before the player killed himself.

The board said that Chao cannot prescribe Ambien during his probationary period. He also has to take courses in prescribing procedures, medical record-keeping, and ethics. The board issued a reprimand against Chao in 2012 and put him on five-year probation two years later.

The games people play...........

Jerry Jones: No truth to three-way rumors, Tony Romo might still stay

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 4, 2017, 3:27 PM EST

Jerry Jones isn’t considering any three-way deals. Trades, you weirdo.

The Cowboys owner told reporters on his bus today at the Scouting Combine that the reported/maybe/possibly considered/future inclusion of Tony Romo into a rumored/convoluted swap between Washington and San Francisco was news to him.

According to Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Jones said that wasn’t a possibility, and that there was no legitimacy to the reports.

That’s frankly what you’d expect him to say, as the initial report was so full of conditions that it was hard to believe.

Jones also refused to rule out the possibility of Romo returning to the Cowboys next season as a $14 million backup to Dak Prescott,

I have not ruled out the possibility of him being a part of the Cowboys at all,” he said, via Todd Archer of ESPN.com.

Frankly, that’s just as unbelievable as the three-way trade, but it’s the thing he has to say while preserving all his options for possibly trading Romo in the coming days.

Dallas $14 million backup may be better than our $19 million backup QB but ours is....

never mind...

From Twitter:

C6LachQUwAAzt9h.jpg:large

[THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS]

1 - we have 19M $ in cap hit for Os regardless if he plays QB or not next season
2- we will need to dish out even more money for a QB if we cut Os because we need to replace him

that was my point, and I'm pretty sure it is accurate.

of course we are not forced to pay Romo 14M$ we can pay him whatever we want (as long as he's ok with it)

1 - we have 19M $ in cap hit for Os regardless if he plays QB or not next season
2- we will need to dish out even more money for a QB if we cut Os because we need to replace him

of course we are not forced to pay Romo 14M$ we can pay him whatever we want (as long as he's ok with it)

I think this team offers a veteran quarterback an instant chance to win .... that has to account for something - Sure beats going to SF or Cle or some other sh!t franchise.

They can structure a deal so that the cap hit this year is minimal but the guy gets his $$ via a signing bonus .... so they can do the other things they have to get done , pushing ~$2m a year into each of the next 3-4 cap years .... then next season they are basically off the hook for Os and have that money to spread around ($13 or $25m more than this year depending on what they do with Os).

Romo and Cutler are the only two I would think about at this point .... any other players at the QB spot would come via the draft or trade.

Sh!t my little sister at QB would be an upgrade over Os .... This aint no pat hand , they cant stand on it ....

I think this team offers a veteran quarterback an instant chance to win .... that has to account for something - Sure beats going to SF or Cle or some other sh!t franchise.

They can structure a deal so that the cap hit this year is minimal but the guy gets his $$ via a signing bonus .... so they can do the other things they have to get done , pushing ~$2m a year into each of the next 3-4 cap years .... then next season they are basically off the hook for Os and have that money to spread around ($13 or $25m more than this year depending on what they do with Os).

Romo and Cutler are the only two I would think about at this point .... any other players at the QB spot would come via the draft or trade.

Sh!t my little sister at QB would be an upgrade over Os .... This aint no pat hand , they cant stand on it ....

There's one problem Denver might pay more and John Elway plays Rick Smith for a fool again just like he did with Peyton Manning and Brock Osweiler, which he should gotten fired for paying that stupid $72 million contract

just to be clear, I wasn't arguing in favor of Os

I think it's very difficult to do so.

I just pointed that out because I think it's a bit misleading to say that "14$M for Romo is better than 19$M for Os"

If we're going to add a "veteran" QB to our roster, I'd rather it be Romo (from the guys in current discussions). But the important thing is salary cap, not what we pay Romo to be our QB. We can give him a big signing bonus, a low salary, & roster bonuses every year of his contract to keep the cap manageable... especially considering we only have one more year of the $72M deal.

If they want him, they can make it work.

If they want him, they can make it work.

I am really curious to see how things will go down.

it's a very weird situation,

I don't see Romo coming for cheap, so we'll need to give him a decent contract

We don't have enough room to fit a decent contract this year so it will need to be at least a 2 year contract, maybe even 3

but at the same time I don't see the texans investing so much money/time on a veteran quarterback with health issues

plus we'll probably end up drafting a QB which means all the current QB will be cut, unless the one we draft is so crappy that we can put him in the practice squad without worry that someone else will snatch him from us.

veery weird situation

Peterson is D O N E !

Doesn't matter who the quarterback is when you have such an awful coach, but boy would I love to see Romo stick it to people here in Houston. I don't know if I've ever seen a more unnecessarily ridiculed, overly criticized, underappreciated player than him.

I'd embrace the right deal. Something like a 2-year deal with a low base the first year, heavy in playing-time incentives, with a backloaded second year.

All the while looking to draft a kid (Mahomes, Peterman, Kaaya, Kelly) to concurrently groom during those two seasons.

I'd embrace the right deal. Something like a 2-year deal with a low base the first year, heavy in playing-time incentives, with a backloaded second year.

All the while looking to draft a kid (Mahomes, Peterman, Kaaya, Kelly) to concurrently groom during those two seasons.

I could live with this. Groom a new guy for two years with Romo.

Sure wish Assweiller would man up and tell Rick he'd take a 50% pay cut because it's the right thing to do. Could you imagine a player actually doing this, LOL.

Peterson is D O N E !
Doesn't matter who the quarterback is when you have such an awful coach, but boy would I love to see Romo stick it to people here in Houston. I don't know if I've ever seen a more unnecessarily ridiculed, overly criticized, underappreciated player than him.
Yeh all those playoff wins are severely under appreciated.

About as under appreciated as Alex Smith, Philip Rivers, Andy Dalton, & Ryan Tannehill... at times I know Romo, Rivers, & Smith have looked better than Dalton & Tannehill, but the end result has been the same. Close, but this ain't horse shoes.

My heart is sad because I have always stood with Tony even when the chips were down and he was the butt of opposing fans jokes. I wish him nothing but the best and hope that when he is done with football that he will return to the Cowboys organization. He is a genuinely good guy that I admire and respect above his career as our quarterback.

I like Romo as an option but, we will also need to pickup a reasonably competent right tackle in free agency. Then draft a future QB (Mahoney or Turbisky should be OK) at 25 then draft the best tackle available in round 2. That way they will both get a year or two to develop before they have to start. Could also use a guard at some point. A thumper type RB in mid rounds if available (I don't like Blue). J. Jo should probably be released/traded and that money used to help sign Bouye (sp). Move K. Jo to safety. Probably about as good as we can do in one off season.

money used to help sign Bouye (sp). Move K. Jo to safety. Probably about as good as we can do in one off season.
Bouye is as good as gone. He's apparently receiving offers from a handful of teams north of $12 million per. None of which is from the Texans. And the Eagles, in particular, may strike a deal with him in the next day or two. Way too much money for a one year wonder like many of you have called him.

We should be focusing on signing Tony Romo once he's released tomorrow, while still picking up another offensive lineman in free agency like you mentioned.

Tony Romo, and then Cam Robinson round 1 would make me happy. Slide Duane to RT. Nick Martin back healthy. Put Mancz at G. Doesn't look as gloomy.

Back