Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been cogitating on O'Brien. He's been the Texan's HC for 5 seasons, his first gig as an NFL HC. He started off with two 9 win seasons and improved this to 10 wins in his third season, before having that 4 win disaster in 2017. But he rebounded from this with 11 wins last year. In these 5 seasons the team has 3 Division titles.

Why would anyone have a serious thought that with this sucess O'Brian's job is on the line?

Why would anyone have a serious thought that with this sucess O'Brian's job is on the line?

I couldn't fathom he'd still have a job after his first Wild Card fiasco at home. Now that he has two under his belt I can't imagine he's not on the hot seat.

I understand you can't win them all. I understand loosing poorly on the road. But at home?

Twice? A third time has to be the last straw. Has to be.

I couldn't fathom he'd still have a job after his first Wild Card fiasco at home. Now that he has two under his belt I can't imagine he's not on the hot seat.

I understand you can't win them all. I understand loosing poorly on the road. But at home?

Twice? A third time has to be the last straw. Has to be.
Kinda like firing Bum after he lost to the Steelers two consecutive years, failing to kick the door in.

Kinda like firing Bum after he lost to the Steelers two consecutive years, failing to kick the door in.

lol_idi_amin.gif

Exactly. BO'b is just like Bum Phillips. You go with that.

So why was Bum fired and replaced?

They lost 3 years in a row to the SB champions, Pittsburgh twice, then Oakland. That was with Earl Campbell and Bud Adams thought Bum was not being creative on offense.

So let's see, 4-3 in the playoffs with the losses all coming to SB winners,

OR

1-3 in the playoffs with the only win against a 3rd string QB.

You're right, damn near indistinguishable.

I can't fathom why he still has a job after advertising himself as an offensive genius and delivering a mediocre offense (at best) every year. In the playoffs, it isn't even mediocre.

I can't fathom why he still has a job after advertising himself as an offensive genius and delivering a mediocre offense (at best) every year. In the playoffs, it isn't even mediocre.

He never advertised himself as an offensive genius. Your hate really be reaching now

Bum was losing to the greatest team of his era in the championship game not in the first round to the lowest seed in the playoffs. That is a big difference.

Lol, the better losses argument, You kidding me? Bum was largely an average HC with premier/elite talent that allowed him to do a few things....basically lighting in a bottle back in the 70's. Dude gets overrated in these parts b/c he proudly displayed his Texan flare (& did so as a character) to the world at a time when Texas in general was largely thought to be a backwater wasteland. Marty Schottenheimer was a better HC who had a very similar run in 2 different spots..Noone touts him as this great HC

Lol, the better losses argument, You kidding me? Bum was largely an average HC with premier/elite talent that allowed him to do a few things....basically lighting in a bottle back in the 70's. Dude gets overrated in these parts b/c he proudly displayed his Texan flare (& did so as a character) to the world at a time when Texas in general was largely thought to be a backwater wasteland. Marty Schottenheimer was a better HC who had a very similar run in 2 different spots..Noone touts him as this great HC

Much as I revere Bum, lucking into Earl while having Munchak and Matthews made him 'great' in these parts

Much as I revere Bum, lucking into Earl while having Munchak and Matthews made him 'great' in these parts
Bum didn't have Matthews and Munchak. Munch was drafted in 82 and Matthews in 83. Ed Biles was the HC.

Not sure you can say they lucked into Campbell when they traded up to get him 1st overall in the draft. They paid a hefty price to get that lucky.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Campbell
Campbell was the first overall draft pick in the 1978 NFL Draft, selected by the Houston Oilers, who signed him to a six-year, $1.4 million contract. The Oilers obtained the pick from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers by trading tight end Jimmie Giles, their first and second round picks in the 1978 Draft, and their third and fifth round picks in the 1979 Draft. "This is a commitment to excellence," said Oilers head coach Bum Phillips. "It takes a great running back to have a winning football team and this kid is a great running back."[

QB whisperer, guru, offensive genius. This was his reputation and why he was hired even if he never said it

But I agree with you he's none of those

Nor did he ever advertise himself as any of those

Nor did he ever advertise himself as any of those

Do you think he said in his interview that he was a mediocre offensive coach who would revamp his system every year and wasn't very good at working with QBs?

He wasn't bad in open space either, but you're right. Miller will never be a HOF'er
You're right. The oilers would use those sweeps with Campbell.
I would like to see Miller used more like Sproles because he's excellent in open space and is an above average receiver out of the backfield.

Reactions: JB
pffft... now you're being ridiculous. Who goes into a job interview stating 'I'm ok, but you can do better'? Maybe you expected him to be a guru, and that's why you're so pissed now?

He was hired from new England where he was OC. The hype was he helped Brady then developed the Penn State QB.

I definitely expected him to be a good offensive coach. But is he? I think not.

He was hired from new England where he was OC. The hype was he helped Brady then developed the Penn State QB.

I definitely expected him to be a good offensive coach. But is he? I think not.

So because he didn't meet YOUR expectations it's HIS fault?

The expectations and excitement was pretty high around these parts when we acquired Bill O'Brien. When those few that wasn't convinced, quite a few brought up how good he helped turn Penn State around.

Lamar Miller would kill in a heavy RPO offense.

Lamar Miller's measureables indicate he should be able to kill in any offense & he really never has whether it was for the Hurricanes, Dolphins or us. So i'm inclined to believe he'd put up the same type of production no matter what offense he played in. He just doesn't run like his measurables indicate he should.

Lamar Miller's measureables indicate he should be able to kill in any offense & he really never has whether it was for the Hurricanes, Dolphins or us. So i'm inclined to believe he'd put up the same type of production no matter what offense he played in. He just doesn't run like his measurables indicate he should.

And yet O'Brien sticks with him

And yet O'Brien sticks with him

Ok so which other RB should we use/get? Who else is out there that would be an improvement on Miller? We tried for Bell but that didn't work out because he either wanted Baltimore but settled for just getting overpaid by the Jets.

Pretty sure they used a 2017 third round draft pick on a running back that everyone was certain was going to replace Miller because he was bigger/stronger/faster/cheaper.

Bit of a difference between sticking with Miller, hard stop, and sticking with Miller because Foreman's Achilles tendon exploded.

It's 2019. He's had two offseasons to make up for the loss of Foreman

Remember when most everyone here mocked the idea of signing Peterson to a deal last year, or year before? The ol' "he's washed and too old" argument I think, even after people tried to explain how Peterson would be an ideal compliment to Miller in the "Round Hole/Square Peg" running philosophy Buttchin employs? Even after Peterson publicly stated he'd love to play here in Houston?

Remember that? I do.

On topic: I'd take a flyer on Ajayi - reunite the Dolphin backfield and let him work his way in. He's only coming back from ACL reconstruction, not Microfracture so most everyone here should feel pretty, pretty good about it.

Remember when most everyone here mocked the idea of signing Peterson to a deal last year, or year before? The ol' "he's washed and too old" argument I think, even after people tried to explain how Peterson would be an ideal compliment to Miller in the "Round Hole/Square Peg" running philosophy Buttchin employs? Even after Peterson publicly stated he'd love to play here in Houston?

Remember that? I do.

On topic: I'd take a flyer on Ajayi - reunite the Dolphin backfield and let him work his way in. He's only coming back from ACL reconstruction, not Microfracture so most everyone here should feel pretty, pretty good about it.

And I already know the responses.

"All of these guys suck" followed by next year "nobody could have predicted they would be good"

I remember OBrien said Foreman would be healthy and ready for game 1 last year. Lol

Bill OBrien is like the Donald Trump of NFL coaches. He'll look you dead in the eye and then tell you the biggest lie he can just because he's bored. Dude also said today "I UNEQUIVOCALLY want Jadeveon Clowney here" in a stupid display to somehow dispel the rumor that he was a douchebag to yet another player? Or to somehow regain some leverage in trade talks? This is going to be an implosion of epic proportions - I just hope Deshaun makes it through the transition unscathed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back