Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who don't I want? Anyone named Bill O'Brien. He's terrible as a HC.

I would like to take a run at baby Shanny but I'm sure SF has him locked up.

I’ll be rooting as hard as always, shitty coach, ownership and all.
I don’t see it in the ownership at this point. Way too early too see Cal’s intentions with just a few months under his belt. He is quiet, well mannered and hard for some to get a read because some here hated his Dad. I wouldn’t cross a boss like Cal for nothing. He’s got a different focus imo. As for OB, he definitely deserves this season. I doubt very few coaches would have gotten that team to the playoffs last year. They had some of their best players coming off major injuries, injuries to many of their best and most productive players at key positions, a thin roster at best to begin with and some very promising players in their rookie seasons. I couldn’t even watch most of their season last year. But during Watson’s first season that offense was magical. If that magic can be recaptured, and this season should be granted with an improved roster and healthier players, then I don’t see any other coach that would be an upgrade. It’s a key season and Cal has to have this data point to get this org on the right track. For the first time since Watson’s rookie season I’m really looking forward to this first day of TC. May just surprise on the upside with expectations so low for some here but I truly don’t believe it’s gonna be more of the same as in the past.

Nobody wants to admit this but last yrs team overachieved.

You've gone on and on and on and on about "2nd most points, 2nd most points, 2nd most points" and now it's that they overachieved? You are definitely the goal post moving king of the world. Guess that happens though when you can't keep all the BS you spew straight. Thought you were going on hiatus?

You've gone on and on and on and on about "2nd most points, 2nd most points, 2nd most points" and now it's that they overachieved? You are definitely the goal post moving king of the world. Guess that happens though when you can't keep all the BS you spew straight. Thought you were going on hiatus?

The fact that they scored the 2nd most points with that ol and we injuries is testimony to them overachieving.

But carry on

Baby Shanny had more injuries.

But those don't matter. If Lil Shanny's team gets hurt then that's the excuse. (Which I agree with)

If BOB loses various guys like WFV then Vyncent Smith is supposed to be just as good as WFV.

I don't pine for him at this point in time. If he ever proves himself over the next couple of seasons it is unlikely we or any other team could get him. If he sucks nobody will hire him. So talk of hiring him is pointless.

Josh McDaniels still getting offers...Adam Gase got a second gig

You shouldn't be rebuilding in season 6 of a head coaches tenure. You should be built already by that point.

tenor.gif

Yet BOB was more successful than Baby Shanny.

I like Shanny's upside way more than what we know we have in BOB, who has an inept offense in the playoffs consistently among many other faults.

Give me the same Shanny who had Matt Ryan on a roll with the Falcons and helped lead that team to a SB. He would work freaking wonders with the talent on hand here.

Ya - I'll take that guy over the cow pattie we have now.

Lil Shanny as OC, not as head coach, if we swing, swing for someone better than that. We have a midling coach, we COULD do worse, ok to try to do better, but Shanny resume does not do it for me except as OC

Way too high is to expect Texans to repeat as AFC South Champs.

Where that get em last year anyways?

It’s a crap shoot. Momentum is everything. How can anyone possibly prognostic that?

All things being equal I would say Colts win division and Texans face Raiders or Browns in wildcard, but that’s just pure speculation on my part.

It’s a crap shoot. Momentum is everything. How can anyone possibly prognostic that?

All things being equal I would say Colts win division and Texans face Raiders or Browns in wildcard, but that’s just pure speculation on my part.

The Raiders and the Browns in the playoffs?

You mean if a team is aggressive and spends $$$$ in the offseason it helps their playoff chances? Who would've thunk it.

In terms of who is and who isn't gonna be successful in the NFL each year there's only about one thing that's fairly predictably every year - the Patriots are gonna win their division and go deep into the P/Os and very likely return to the SB.

Curious what it would take this year for BOB supporters to turn on him?

And vice versa -- what would it take for BOB detractors to get on board?

I'd put myself in the detractor camp and it's all about the offense for me and eye test. If we're 11-5 and look like we did last year, I'm still not convinced. If we're 7-9 and have several losses like the Seattle game in Watson's rookie year, I'm going to be optimistic that our offense can produce in big games w/ BOB and we just need to add some pieces to the defense to be a contender. I'm looking for a big step up on O this year and some 2017 Watson.

I will be honest and say there is no way to convince me.... IF I were making the choice OB would be gone and Id never give him a second thought.

Since I am biased and I do not have the authority to fire him........

IF by some miracle the Texans finish 10-6, 11-5 or better...this season.. then he will have my attention. (I don't normally attribute W's alone to a good or competent HC as there are many other factors to be considered....... but in this case, luck alone will NOT get them there this season........ so, IF he manages to lead his team through this season with such a record...... I will NOT be eating crow..... but I WILL happily preheat the oven.)

I'd put myself in the detractor camp and it's all about the offense for me and eye test. If we're 11-5 and look like we did last year, I'm still not convinced. If we're 7-9 and have several losses like the Seattle game in Watson's rookie year, I'm going to be optimistic that our offense can produce in big games w/ BOB and we just need to add some pieces to the defense to be a contender. I'm looking for a big step up on O this year and some 2017 Watson.
Sounds reasonable. It’s critical that we can stay away from these bizarre injuries that have plagued us lately, however. No way I could get a read on this team last year. IMO OB coached around those injuries and he never got into his offense as a result. I believe 2017 is his style. This is my main reason to ignore the present negativity. This offense was a shell of that during DW’s rookie season but the reasons are plainly evident. This is gonna be an interesting season.

I'd like to hear him say something like, "I enjoyed my time here in Houston, I've made some good friends, learned a lot about myself, the position & expectations in the NFL. I appreciate the chance Bob McNair took when he gave me this opportunity & the confidence in me Cal showed since his father passed away. I hate to have to leave, but this is a results driven business & my results haven't been what they needed to be. So it's with a sad heart I say goodbye to Houston. I wish nothing but the best for the McNairs, this organization, & the city of Houston.

No more questions."

I could see getting on board with a decision like that.

He'd have to do the following:

-build a good offensive system
-become a good play caller
-learn adjustments in games and before playoffs
-time management BS
-challenge flag rules and when to use them
-the right times to go for it on fourth down/punt/kick a fg
-learn to evaluate talent and figureout who should start where
-learn how the draft is properly done and stop falling in love with senior bowl guys and stop drafting a new TE or two every time
-understand analytics, the value of picks and what it takes to build a contender
-get along better with his gm and players
-lose the obsession with getting another guy from new England to fix everything

Last edited:
https://houston.sportsmap.com/bill-obriens-ego-could-ruin-the-texans?rebelltitem=3#rebelltitem3

Clock management
img.jpg

This so-called offensive/quarterback/guru can't even manage the clock or call plays properly. How can you call yourself an offensive coach when you fail to find a starting quarterback or call the right plays at the right times, much less manage the clock correctly? Knowing when to call a timeout, what plays to dial up, and what sequence of plays to have dialed up in a no-huddle situation factors into being prepared for these situations. O'Brien has consistently demonstrated that he isn't prepared and has shown a propensity at failing in these situations so far.
Arrogance
img.jpg

O'Brien has exhibited a real smug and arrogant attitude when it comes to the media. He acts as if he's doing them a favor to answer questions, or answers questions in a manner in which media members should feel honored he even answered. Last time I checked, a coach with a 42-38 record in the NFL shouldn't act like an arrogant A hole towards anyone. I don't know if O'Brien acts this way behind the scenes, but the smug encounters he's had with media members I've seen and his rumored actions have led me to believe he's the same guy he's been reported to be. A couple Super Bowl titles and better personnel decisions would lead to some leeway when he wants to be a jerk.

He'd have to do the following:

-build a good offensive system
-become a good play caller
-learn adjustments in games and before playoffs
-time management BS
-challenge flag rules and when to use them
-the right times to go for it on fourth down/punt/kick a fg
-learn to evaluate talent and figureout who should start where
-learn how the draft is properly done and stop falling in love with senior bowl guys and stop drafting a new TE or two every time
-understand analytics, the value of picks and what it takes to build a contender
-get along better with his gm and players
-lose the obsession with getting another guy from new England to fix everything
After we started 0-2 last year, I posted that he should be fired for many of the reasons you mentioned here. But I felt like BOB could grow in these areas and that a fresh start would be good for the team and BOB. If the offense doesn't find it's stride this year, I think I'm going to have to give up hope on BOB having what it takes. Even if he gets the offense going, the in game decision stuff you mentioned is enough to sink a team if he doesn't improve it. But I've managed to hold onto some hope that we'll see improvement this year.

After we started 0-2 last year, I posted that he should be fired for many of the reasons you mentioned here. But I felt like BOB could grow in these areas and that a fresh start would be good for the team and BOB. If the offense doesn't find it's stride this year, I think I'm going to have to give up hope on BOB having what it takes. Even if he gets the offense going, the in game decision stuff you mentioned is enough to sink a team if he doesn't improve it. But I've managed to hold onto some hope that we'll see improvement this year.

Until the ol gets fixed you can expect more of the same old same old. The only chance of improvement is if WFV/Coutee stay healthy and I wouldn't count on that.

If the OL is BOB's excuse again this year, he either can't communicate what he needs to 2 different GM's or he doesn't know what he needs. Either way, if it's the excuse, it's time for BOB to go.

It's yr 2 of a 3 yr rebuild.

So the OL will be a focus next off season as well? At that rate, by the time the OL is fixed, the rest of the team will have fallen apart.

True

Except I don't expect Watson to fall apart if he can survive this season. Hopkins shouldn't be falling apart any time soon.

True

Except I don't expect Watson to fall apart if he can survive this season. Hopkins shouldn't be falling apart any time soon.
I'll bet you dinner that Watson has a better 2019 than 2018. Winner picks the place. Better stats are the wager , not w's & L's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back