Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever. None of it will matter until the head coach is gone. And this will help bring in a new GM and head coach at the same time come January .

Whatever. None of it will matter until the head coach is gone. And this will help bring in a new GM and head coach at the same time come January .

Teflon BOB will have the excuse meter at 11 if the season comes off the rails. He will invent excuses and convince Cal there was too much on his plate and thats why we sucked.

Kubiak took us from bad to mediocre.

OB took us from mediocre to meh.

:texan:

At this point... I'd be open to running without a GM, HC, OC, DC... Just let them go out there like it's the playground and let DW tell Hopkins where to be.

Sure, it wouldn't likely be pretty... but it's something new... my hope for something better doing the same thing is officially dead.

Teflon BOB will have the excuse meter at 11 if the season comes off the rails. He will invent excuses and convince Cal there was too much on his plate and thats why we sucked.
I think it's going to take more than just wins to convince Cal after this season to keep O'Brien. The head coach is going to have to coach his butt off and Hope his team of coaches do the same.

I think it's going to take more than just wins to convince Cal after this season to keep O'Brien. The head coach is going to have to coach his butt off and Hope his team of coaches do the same.

I think a playoff win is his bar. But then again, this man still somehow has the kind of juice to get his brand new GM fired.

SMH

Thru 2 different HC's?

Maybe their model doesn't work and because they're hard headed and making billions off of the current model they're unwilling to change.
I don't think it is completely fair to place most of if not all the blame on either coaching or a lack of talent in regards to the players. I was a tad harsh on coach Kubiak after coach Kubiaks final team sucked so bad after having finished with the teams best record in it's history the season prior. Then once fired from us and getting hired by Denver Kubiak won a title with the Broncos and in my way of thinking the Broncos did not have a roster all together that much more talented than we had/have. All we have to do is see how Denver faded after coach Kubiak retired.

As things now stand I find coach BOb to be frustrating at times but I also see that he has accomplished quite a bit. Winning our division as many times as we have under BOB can not be overlooked. We did so with a team suffering a lot of key injuries which forced BOb to make changes on the fly. Before I honestly can call for BOb to get fired I would like to see our teams season when they stay mostly healthy. Especially the best players staying healthy.

I do feel that we should have been more aggressive and willing to address obvious needs using the decent cap space we have to get free agents but I hold out hope we have a great season despite that.

I don't find that we have drafted all that poorly but it for sure could be better. Especially in regards to addressing areas of weakness.

I find this season should be a prove it season for coach BOb as long as the team does not have key long term injuries and other issues to overcome.

Last edited:
I don't think it is completely fair to place most of if not all the blame on either coaching or a lack of talent in regards to the players. I was a tad harsh on coach Kubiak after coach Kubiaks final team sucked so bad after having finished with the teams best record in it's history the season prior. Then once fired from us and getting hired by Denver Kubiak won a title with the Broncos and in my way of thinking the Broncos did not have a roster all together that much more talented than we had/have. All we have to do is see how Denver faded after coach Kubiak retired.

As things now stand I find coach BOb to be frustrating at times but I also see that he has accomplished quite a bit. Winning our division as many times as we have under BOB can not be overlooked. We did so with a team suffering a lot of key injuries which forced BOb to make changes on the fly. Before I honestly can call for BOb to get fired I would like to see our teams season when they stay mostly healthy. Especially the best players staying healthy.

I do feel that we should have been more aggressive and willing to address obvious needs using the decent cap space we have to get free agents but I hold out hope we have a great season despite that.

I don't find that we have drafted all that poorly but it for sure could be better. Especially in regards to addressing areas of weakness.

I find this season should be a prove it season for coach BOb as ling as the team does not have key long term injuries and other issues to overcome.

Great post

Disagree about the talent level of the Broncos who had an all time great defense and the Texans talent level.

This isn't a make or break season for BOB unless they finish worse than 6-10. This is yr 2 of a 3 yr rebuild. Add in the fact that the Texans org doesn't even have a GM and BOB should be safe. IMHO. Afer this yr if it doesn't go well I want Cletus to hire a new GM and let him hire his new HC. With Cletus staying out of the hiring process. But we know this isn't going to happen.

Great post

Disagree about the talent level of the Broncos who had an all time great defense and the Texans talent level.

This isn't a make or break season for BOB unless they finish worse than 6-10. This is yr 2 of a 3 yr rebuild. Add in the fact that the Texans org doesn't even have a GM and BOB should be safe. IMHO. Afer this yr if it doesn't go well I want Cletus to hire a new GM and let him hire his new HC. With Cletus staying out of the hiring process. But we know this isn't going to happen.

Go ahead and name one owner who stays out of the Head Coach hiring process...

Kubiak took us from bad to mediocre.

OB took us from mediocre to meh.

:texan:

At this point... I'd be open to running without a GM, HC, OC, DC... Just let them go out there like it's the playground and let DW tell Hopkins where to be.

Sure, it wouldn't likely be pretty... but it's something new... my hope for something better doing the same thing is officially dead.
This is why I said I had fired O'Brien right after the first season.

I did not see an offensive system that is efficient and sustainable in the playoffs.

With Kubiak's system, there's at least a real system.

It's easier to draft/build an offensive line.
(But you do need to find certain linemen and/or develop them).

It does depend on the system.
It requires the QB to be able to sell the playfake.
Same goes for the rest of the offensive unit.

In the overall scheme of things, it allows the team to load up on the defensive side.

A guy like Kevin Walter can work well in the cheap, but you also need a deep guy with more reliable hands than Jacoby Jones (imagine that undrafted guy with the Vikings.)

O'Brien lacks the imagination in play design that could help his own players.

I remember reading about Bill Walsh, when he came up with a new play. He was so excited while discussing it over dinner with a friend/colleague that he forgot about his wife (it was a private dinner).

With O'Brien, I haven't seen any innovation; nothing I haven't seen before.

And in this league, you either go big or you go home.

Lots of things need to go right to go small and get there in the end.

I did not see an offensive system that is efficient and sustainable in the playoffs.

In the overall scheme of things, it allows the team to load up on the defensive side.

A guy like Kevin Walter can work well in the cheap, but you also need a deep guy with more reliable hands than Jacoby Jones (imagine that undrafted guy with the Vikings.)

I remember reading about Bill Walsh, when he came up with a new play. He was so excited while discussing it over dinner with a friend/colleague that he forgot about his wife (it was a private dinner).

And what did you think of kubiak's defenses 2005- 2010? Head coaches responsible for both sides of the ball. How were his ST's?

Kubiak was, and remains a successful OC everywhere he goes.
You (JB) once said, be careful of unproven quality.

To me, that's good.
Keep that side of the ball and help him with other matters.

Isn't it more sound than starting from scartch, with unproven coaches?

The problem is the offense sucks. Looking at his record in context , winning with defense and a weak schedule, makes it less impressive.

Should be noted that Vegas think the Texans will miss the playoffs despite the fact that they should be in win now mode, not rebuilding

The problem is the offense sucks. Looking at his record in context , winning with defense and a weak schedule, makes it less impressive.

Should be noted that Vegas think the Texans will miss the playoffs despite the fact that they should be in win now mode, not rebuilding

The offensive philosophy does suck big time when our core is riddled with injuries.

Vegas is looking at our tough schedule. We are playing a lot playoff caliber teams. And most of them have explosive offenses.

Now I can see it clearly. OBs "scheme" is just like Seinfeld. A scheme about nothing. In OBs case, it's multiple nothing.

OB lacks the ability to tailor his "scheme" to his players abilities. IMO, that is because he doesn't understand, at a fundamental level, how E-P should work. He understands how it is successfully run when Tom Brady is the QB and has full command of the offense.

Last edited:
As I see it. OB is as good of a HC as Jerry Seinfeld is funny.

Jerry - Not funny in the slightest, but somehow convinced people that he is. Kramer was funny, MAYBE twice, but you see a tall lanky doofus enter the room like a giant doofus, it gets old fast.

His show was no more "about nothing" than Cheers and others.

OB- Not able to handle the base responsibility of a HC, but somehow those in power, not only keep him around but give him MORE responsibility.

Now I can see it clearly. OBs "scheme" is just like Seinfeld. A scheme about nothing. In OBs case, it's multiple nothing.

OB lacks the ability to tailor his "scheme" to his players abilities. IMO, that is because he doesn't understand, at a fundamental level, how E-P should work. He understands how it is successfully run when Tom Brady is the QB and has full command of the offense.

DbwnqbB.gif

You shouldn't be rebuilding in season 6 of a head coaches tenure. You should be built already by that point.

Unless our star players just got old, which is clearly not the case. Clowney, Watt and Hopkins are in their primes. Watson is just about to start his prime.

Changes QB after a half of the 1st game...TWICE, changes GMs after a year and a half into a 5 year "aligned" deal. Dude just doesn't appear to have a clue and doesn't appear to be learning, growing, improving his skills, from the day he first walked into the building 5 1/2 years ago.

Yeah, he's made the playoffs, has a winning record (horrible against teams with winning records), blah, blah, blah, so he isn't the worst coach ever. He's just not one who's going to move this franchise forward. No growth, no improvement equals no moving forward.

Changes QB after a half of the 1st game...TWICE, changes GMs after a year and a half into a 5 year "aligned" deal. Dude just doesn't appear to have a clue and doesn't appear to be learning, growing, improving his skills, from the day he first walked into the building 5 1/2 years ago.

Yeah, he's made the playoffs, has a winning record (horrible against teams with winning records), blah, blah, blah, so he isn't the worst coach ever. He's just not one who's going to move this franchise forward. No growth, no improvement equals no moving forward.
I fear we have a Marvin Lewis situation on our hands. Wins just enough to keep his job.

...for years....

Texans average 12.5 points per playoff game with OBrien. With Kubiak it was 23. OBrien and his slow ass route tree, stupid bubble screen attack and stubborn desire to establish a power run game just makes the offense easy to gameplan for in a high stakes situation - It’s outdated. What a revelation it must have been for him to see that Lamar Miller is a better player when you put him in space or that if you actually involve ONE of your 10 tight ends it makes Watsons job easier. Now the guy is destroying the front office with his maniacal desire to be just like the Patriots. Minus signature wins of course. Situation is toxic and should be purged, but it seems Cal is not ready to be that guy yet. Hoisting AFC South banners while Luck has been hurt and the division has been easy really isn’t fooling many people.

Lol, if you don’t come into the beauty shop too often it’s still not hard to get caught up quickly. Same rat-a-tat 24-7 lunacy by the same few lunatics. Good grief. Here is a surprise, people get it. They get your years of hatred. You don’t like butt chin and Cleatus. Anyone ever stop to think OB has a child with special needs and Cal just lost his Dad? I get it, this is football. Anyone else pause to reflect that Cal fired a good GM (IMO) that didn’t meet his standards and called several people on the carpet and laid out his expectations? This is in direct conflict with his Dad’s expressed desire to avoid quick change. That’s good, right? Too early to tell but it just could be the turning point. And OB. Does anyone think for one second that Cal didn’t lay out expectations that will require him to protect his most valuable asset and best route to attain his expressed goal to get to the SB? My guess is that his O has been called into question and Cal wants to see all of his playmakers involved along with his new OC. It can’t be any other way. You get called on the carpet by your owner or CEO and have expectations laid out you are on a short leash. I’m just ready to see the pads on and see our first steps in an obviously new era. Am I a homer? Only in a way that I understand nobody knows **** at this point but it doesn’t have to be bad.

Lol, if you don’t come into the beauty shop too often it’s still not hard to get caught up quickly. Same rat-a-tat 24-7 lunacy by the same few lunatics. Good grief. Here is a surprise, people get it. They get your years of hatred. You don’t like butt chin and Cleatus. Anyone ever stop to think OB has a child with special needs and Cal just lost his Dad? I get it, this is football. Anyone else pause to reflect that Cal fired a good GM (IMO) that didn’t meet his standards and called several people on the carpet and laid out his expectations? This is in direct conflict with his Dad’s expressed desire to avoid quick change. That’s good, right? Too early to tell but it just could be the turning point. And OB. Does anyone think for one second that Cal didn’t lay out expectations that will require him to protect his most valuable asset and best route to attain his expressed goal to get to the SB? My guess is that his O has been called into question and Cal wants to see all of his playmakers involved along with his new OC. It can’t be any other way. You get called on the carpet by your owner or CEO and have expectations laid out you are on a short leash. I’m just ready to see the pads on and see our first steps in an obviously new era. Am I a homer? Only in a way that I understand nobody knows **** at this point but it doesn’t have to be bad.

I’ll be rooting as hard as always, shitty coach, ownership and all.

Coupled with a porous OL leads to 60+ something sacks.

But we signed a former 1st round tackle (yea I know he's hurt and has not been good at all when healthy but still did it) then we signed the best tackle in D2 football! Woo HOO we all know how well that worked out with Davenport so why not try it again!! Then we gave a raise to SEantrel Henderson coming off an injury because .. well there wasnt a good reason for it, but hey we are nice guys! (except with the truly talented players on the team) then we signed ANOTHER tackle in the 2nd round!!! When you're not good at talent evaluation you might as well just play the odds!

Shoot we probably will have the best OLine in the league with all those additions and the super, awesome coaching staff!

Texans average 12.5 points per playoff game with OBrien. With Kubiak it was 23. OBrien and his slow ass route tree, stupid bubble screen attack and stubborn desire to establish a power run game just makes the offense easy to gameplan for in a high stakes situation - It’s outdated. What a revelation it must have been for him to see that Lamar Miller is a better player when you put him in space or that if you actually involve ONE of your 10 tight ends it makes Watsons job easier. Now the guy is destroying the front office with his maniacal desire to be just like the Patriots. Minus signature wins of course. Situation is toxic and should be purged, but it seems Cal is not ready to be that guy yet. Hoisting AFC South banners while Luck has been hurt and the division has been easy really isn’t fooling many people.

Nobody wants to admit this but last yrs team overachieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back