Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Eagles Fan Thread

infantrycak said:
Good analogy--11 drops in 2005 (almost 10% of targets)--I suspect that's why the Saints let him go after he had several missed opportunities last weekend. Folks don't let top half 1st rounders go who have performed anywhere close to expectations.

I actually read an article on him, where he was having issues with his new coach, and picking up the X position in the WCO.

Does not translate well for us, however, in our scheme, all he needs to do, is run fast :p

With 4.2 40 yard speed, he wont have a problem with that. He is much faster than anyone else on our team, and I feel way more confident in him starting, as opposed to Hank Baskett.

edit: here is the link to the article I read on him. Dated 8/3/06

http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/115459103553330.xml&coll=1&thispage=1

flylikeaneagle said:
Yeah... you guys did have a lot of probowlers out during the year and had over a dozen guys on the IR all year.

As a 4th yr expansion team we had neither large numbers of pro-bowlers (like the eagles?!?) nor depth.

However we did lose, at some point in the season, 3 pro-bowlers:

Ande Johnson
Dunta Robinson
Gary Walker

Of course unlike the Eagles the Texans have had only 4yrs to develope the debth to overcome the "dozen(s)" of injuries in '05. Not sure what the Eagles excuse is, but im sure its a good one. Excuses are what you have become good at looking at your divisional/world championship record.

Jwwillis said:
As a 4th yr expansion team we had neither large numbers of pro-bowlers (like the eagles?!?) nor depth.

However we did lose, at some point in the season, 3 pro-bowlers:

Ande Johnson
Dunta Robinson
Gary Walker

Of course unlike the Eagles the Texans have had only 4yrs to develope the debth to overcome the "dozen(s)" of injuries in '05. Not sure what the Eagles excuse is, but im sure its a good one. Excuses are what you have become good at looking at your divisional/world championship record.

Eagles starters combined for a total of 131 games lost in 2005. Meaning that an average of 8.1 starters of the 22 were missing from every game we played last year.

Add in the whole receiver debacle, and it was just a completely forgettable season to say the least...

flylikeaneagle said:
I hope that after the loss in Week 1 that Texans beat the crap out of everyone else and surprise everyone.

jdog said:
I hope that after the loss in Week 1 that the Eagles beat the crap out of everyone else and surprise everyone.

I love it, its like we're friends 364 days of the year, It's just for that 1 day:fight:

:ok: :francis:

Edit: and the superbowl:trophy:

PhillyFan said:
Im sorry, and I dont mean any disrespect here, but that statement shows a complete lack of football knowledge.

I am not being an Eagles homer when I say that McNabb is in a completely different league than Brooks.

Look at the targets Brooks has had for the last 5 years, and look at his stats, and how many games he won.

Then look at McNabb back to 2000, and his targets, and count his wins.

Completely different league.

It's true. I have a tremendous lack of football knowledge. Please educate me with non-homer warrants for your claim that Stallworth will become a better receiver with McNabb throwing to him instead of Brooks. I already conceded in my original statement that McNabb is a better quarterback because he is a better competitor, but this equals wins not development of bust receivers.

Vinny said:
He isn't close to the wr Reggie Brown is. Stallworth is just a kicked up Cory Bradford imo.

You may end up being right, but IMO, it's too early to say that about Brown.
Stallworth was supposed to be a future all pro when he came into the league, and he has been pretty much a disappointment. It's possible Brown may never reach the potential people expect for him either.

I know you don't like to post stats to back up your point, but comparing numbers in their rookie years, Brown is still behind just by the stats.
Brown played in three more games his rookie year than Dante in his rookie year, and started four more games but still had less yardage and half the TDs that Dante did.

Stallworth played on a pretty up and down team, with a dubious QB, sharing the ball with a bonafide #1 receiver and still had decent numbers.
Hell, he played in three less games than Horn in 2002 and still had more TDs than Horn did.
Again, I say you may end up being right, but Brown still has much to prove.

michaelm said:
I know you don't like to post stats to back up your point, but comparing numbers in their rookie years, Brown is still behind just by the stats.
Brown played in three more games his rookie year than Dante in his rookie year, and started four more games but still had less yardage and half the TDs that Dante did.
That's not correct. I don't like empty stats that don't tell a true story. You can't tell a hitch pass from a pass splitting a zone with a simple stat line, so anyone can twist any argument to suit their story if you just throw stats around to define a player. I've seen enough of Brown to see he has WR1 potential. I've also seen enough of Stallworth to only think of him as a speedster (classic wr2 type). Brown is just now entering his prime and I think you will get a taste of him in less than 2 weeks....tell me what you think of him then.

Vinny said:
I've seen enough of Brown to see he has WR1 potential. I've also seen enough of Stallworth to only think of him as a speedster (classic wr2 type).

Thats good enough. A solid 1 and 2 with Baskett, Avant, McCants, and Lewis behind them? That is not too bad.

Brown is just now entering his prime and I think you will get a taste of him in less than 2 weeks....tell me what you think of him then.

Yea baby!

eagle.randall said:
How do yall deep saying that when he had 70 catches and 945 yards last year in N.O.?

Probably because he should've had 85 catches for 1256 yards last year.

The only thing I can tell Philly fan is that you better hope the Eagles take this game seriously. This Texans team is in no way, shape, or form the one that went 2-14 last season. Donovan better have his cleats strapped on tight because the heat is coming.

eagle.randall said:
How do yall deep saying that when he had 70 catches and 945 yards last year in N.O.?

Did you watch the last preseason game?--the one right before NO decided to trade away their top half of the 1st WR for a conditional 4th round pick and a reserve LB. His hands aren't great but he will still be a good acquisition for you.

Trade'06pick said:
The only thing I can tell Philly fan is that you better hope the Eagles take this game seriously. This Texans team is in no way, shape, or form the one that went 2-14 last season. Donovan better have his cleats strapped on tight because the heat is coming.
I say he gets sacked minimum 2 or 3 times. Minimum.

PowerfulDragon said:
I say he gets sacked minimum 2 or 3 times. Minimum.

I dont see that happening.

Our offensive line is massive and in great shape. The only position I worry about at all is LG. Herremans is like 6'6" from memory...and is a converted tackle. I cant wait to see how well he learned to get his body down, to combat the bullrush. If he cant do that, he is in trouble.

Our tackles are former pro bowlers, our RG was a pro bowl alternate last year, in what was essentially his rookie year, and our center is one of the top up and coming players in the league in my opinion.

Other than Mario, I dont envision the Texans getting any pressure on McNabb whatsoever. And now that he is fully healthy, and back down under 230 (was 245 at one point last year) his mobility is looking as good as it did when he was 24.

So even if Mario does manage to get through, he still has to catch a QB with 4.5 - 40 yard speed.

I think the more interesting battle, will be our defensive line, against your offensive line with their new blocking scheme. Denver always kicked our butts with that.

I can see mario, peek, weaver, greenwood, and maybe even meco putting pressure on your qb. I have faith in the fact that Smith will figure something out.

PowerfulDragon said:
I can see mario, peek, weaver, greenwood, and maybe even meco putting pressure on your qb. I have faith in the fact that Smith will figure something out.

I wish the 10th would get here already so we can find out...Im tired of all of this waiting garbage, heh

My only issue is...Im on call for work that weekend. Im going to have to spread the word to the people, that if they call me in, it had better be a life or death emergency...(I work at a hospital :p )

This game will be one sided for the Eagles. Darren Howard has been a beast so far, and the starting defense has only given up 3 points against the ravens, raiders, browns, and steelers combined. Donovan Mcnabb has not thrown a pick, and analysts beleive that he is throwing as best as he ever has. Donte Stallworth is a great addition, and look what he did with an average qb in brooks. The eagles are running the ball succesfully, even without westbrook. Brian Dawkins hasn't lost a step and still hits hard (harde the d rob you guys exaggerate.) Rookie Reggie Brown is ready to break out, and the offensive line is strong.

Houston has looked shabby in their games, and carr doesn't seem to have improved much, even wit the addition of moulds. He looks like a bust so far. Mario Williams is making some plays, but it's clear he is the only real presence on the front four, the same thing can be said about duntz and the secondary.
The offense line still looks pretty bad, and carr looks ready for another sack filled year. Mcnabb at least is mobile. His injury gone, hes moving around now, and is the threat hes always been.

Mcnabb wayyyy better than carr, and he has a legit o-line to help.

There, I just kicked some knowledge, you can only wish this was a dream.

Phiilyphan06 said:
This game will be one sided for the Eagles. Darren Howard has been a beast so far, and the starting defense has only given up 3 points against the ravens, raiders, browns, and steelers combined. Donovan Mcnabb has not thrown a pick, and analysts beleive that he is throwing as best as he ever has. Donte Stallworth is a great addition, and look what he did with an average qb in brooks. The eagles are running the ball succesfully, even without westbrook. Brian Dawkins hasn't lost a step and still hits hard (harde the d rob you guys exaggerate.) Rookie Reggie Brown is ready to break out, and the offensive line is strong.

Houston has looked shabby in their games, and carr doesn't seem to have improved much, even wit the addition of moulds. He looks like a bust so far. Mario Williams is making some plays, but it's clear he is the only real presence on the front four, the same thing can be said about duntz and the secondary.
The offense line still looks pretty bad, and carr looks ready for another sack filled year. Mcnabb at least is mobile. His injury gone, hes moving around now, and is the threat hes always been.

Mcnabb wayyyy better than carr, and he has a legit o-line to help.

There, I just kicked some knowledge, you can only wish this was a dream.

The only DREAM is you making something out of preseason:pigfly: WOW let me try this FANTASY projection game, you got going on in that little spot in your head. We have 10 sacks in 3 games on Defense and WE made Jake Plummer leave with a QB rating of 54.2....WOW you are RIGHT, it is fun to pretend you know anything at all while sleeping and posting....THANKS:confused:

BigDTexansFan said:
The only DREAM is you making something out of preseason:pigfly: WOW let me try this FANTASY projection game, you got going on in that little spot in your head. We have 10 sacks in 3 games on Defense and WE made Jake Plummer leave with a QB rating of 54.2....WOW you are RIGHT, it is fun to pretend you know anything at all while sleeping and posting....THANKS:confused:

Plummer threw for a measley 18 tds last season. we've stopped qbs that have visited the suberbowl. you are now officially served

kick2.gif

BigDTexansFan said:

Odd logic. All I see around here is Texans homers proclaiming the end of your woes based on what, exactly? PRESEASON.

PowerfulDragon said:

Absolutely hysterical

Im loving it.

I like Texans fans. You guys arent homers like a lot of other teams...well, not as bad at least.

But you seem more knowledgable than other teams fans, and arent nearly as obnoxious with your banter.

thats why Im still here 2 weeks later :P

Someone just posted these stats on our boards

This is our offensive line

William Thomas- 6'7'' 335 lbs
Todd Herremans- 6'6'' 321 lbs
Jamaal Jackson- 6'4'' 330 lbs
Shawn Andrews- 6'4'' 340 lbs
Jon Runyan- 6'7'' 330 lbs

PhillyFan said:

What that do ?

PhillyFan said:

Dizam. Thats alot of meat in front of your quarterback. Looks like the edge rushers will have to use some speed to get to McNabb week 1.

Not that Stallworth is that frightening, but I was more confidant than I am now about beating the eagles when he was not on your team. I guess Dunta will have to chase him around all day.

I think the difference in this game is the Eagles defense. I dont like the Eagles offense, but I think they can put up 14-21 points. But the Eagles defense might hold us down, especially with the way David has been playing. I just hope that David gets out of his funk of throwing 5 yard passes all game long.

Super Mario said:
Dizam. Thats alot of meat in front of your quarterback. Looks like the edge rushers will have to use some speed to get to McNabb week 1.

Not that Stallworth is that frightening, but I was more confidant than I am now about beating the eagles when he was not on your team. I guess Dunta will have to chase him around all day.

I think the difference in this game is the Eagles defense. I dont like the Eagles offense, but I think they can put up 14-21 points. But the Eagles defense might hold us down, especially with the way David has been playing. I just hope that David gets out of his funk of throwing 5 yard passes all game long.

Thats almost a ton of meat....literally :p

I dont recall ever having seen a line that large...

Stallworth will hurt you with at least 1 play. I checked the speed on your secondary, and the only one even close is Dunta.

4.2 40 speed is going to be hard to cover over the top without safety help. If the safety rolls over, thats going to leave LJ (TE) open under, or Westbrook matched up against a LB again. In which case, Westbrook will win every time.

Adding Stallworth is a bigger gain than most other teams will realize. His speed is an amazing boost for us.

I honestly dont think Ryans will get a chance to hurt us now. He is going to have to use that speed to stay back in coverage of Westbrook and LJ. If he is blitzing, the rest of your defense will be getting eaten up.

the Eagles have been around the block they know if you win the trench war chances are you win the battle/game. while the Texans starters match up well its depth that concerns me so as long as the Texans avoid the injury bug the advantage in skilled players could make the difference for Houston.

I am a fan of McNabb, it will be a joy to see him play live and in person @ Relient, however he will be :fireball: first official sack victom :ouch:

PhillyFan said:

Does their visit pad Houston's lead as the fattest city in the nation ?

PhillyFan said:
You guys moved down this year. As did we. Philly was #2 last year, and #1 the year prior. Apparently, either Philly is getting its act together, or the extremely high murder rates here are only affecting extremely obese people.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/fatcity06.html

That has to be one of the dumbest lists around. Their methodology is to assume obesity based on fast food joint numbers. They even bias that methodology by their definition of fast food which does not include deli's and some other classes of food sources which are regional/cultural.

infantrycak said:
That has to be one of the dumbest lists around. Their methodology is to assume obesity based on fast food joint numbers. They even bias that methodology by their definition of fast food which does not include deli's and some other classes of food sources which are regional/cultural.

Yeah, that is a dumblist. That is the one the already debunked with stats so it is wrong. Houston is #14 by professional polling officials. Polls are stupid anyways.

First off I'd like to recognize that Houston has improved the team a lot on both sides of the ball by adding players on defense and simply by having Kubiak come in as the new coach. I haven't seen Texan football much this preseason but I have seen the utilization of more rollouts which will definately help carr not get sacked nearly as much as last year. The 2-14 record from last season was not reflective of the Texans' season as they did lose 4 games by less than 6 points...however 6-10 is still pretty poor as we can attest.

Philly was also a team that lost 4 games by 6 points or less and that was with more than half of the team on IR...I feel the eagles, having gotten rid of TO and acquiring some major additions on defense, will be back to the level they were 2 seasons ago if they remain healthy. remember, they did make 3 consecutive NFC championships with james thrash and pinkston at WR, and now with brown and stallworth i think that is a major upgrade with a similar rest of team.

All that being said, I believe that despite the improvements of the Texans defense, the rush will not be consistant at penetrating the Eagles OL thus giving McNabb plenty of time in the pocket. Someone else mentioned before the matchups of Philly's offense against the LBs and secondary of the Texans and I totally agree. There will be openings found as the Texans shift coverage. There is no way they can cover Stallworth, Brown, Smith, and Westbrook. I am more worried about getting a rushing game established. As for Carr's rollouts, when you have Darren Howard and Kearse chasing you down with a solid secondary on coverage I feel that Carr will have a rough day in and out of the pocket. Someone will be open.

Eagles win 27-10

E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:
All that being said, I believe that despite the improvements of the Texans defense, the rush will not be consistant at penetrating the Eagles OL thus giving McNabb plenty of time in the pocket. Someone else mentioned before the matchups of Philly's offense against the LBs and secondary of the Texans and I totally agree. There will be openings found as the Texans shift coverage. There is no way they can cover Stallworth, Brown, Smith, and Westbrook. I am more worried about getting a rushing game established. As for Carr's rollouts, when you have Darren Howard and Kearse chasing you down with a solid secondary on coverage I feel that Carr will have a rough day in and out of the pocket. Someone will be open.

Eagles win 27-10

This could easily end up being where the game is won or lost. McNabb will most likely get some time but not as much as one might think. The front four is greatly improved and I think all will be surprised by the pressure we get. I would be surprised if you guys can run it well consistently, leading to more passing than you want. If our blitz packages are effective you guys will be in trouble. Same with our offense they will need to be creative to slow your front four down. Should be a great game I would be shocked though if you won by seventeen. Vince Papale rocks and I'm glad we've got this one at home. You guys are hardcore football fans good luck after week 1.

Texans 23-16

Back