Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Carr and Domanick Williams Released

Since this is a June 1st cut I do not think it is really that much dead money

June 1st vs. non June 1st doesn't affect the total amount of dead money. It is $4 mil for Carr either way. The only difference is $4 mil all in 2007 or $2 mil in 2007 and $2 mil in 2008.

Vinny--like someone else mentioned, teams are allowed to designate two players as June 1st cuts even if they cut them earlier.

I can believe this.

Even though Carr wasn't successfull here it appears McNair still respects the guy. I know I do.

It was McNairs money that funded Carrs contract.

Unlike the Carr haters around here that continue to take cheap shots at a guy who has too much class to get involved in a spitting match.

Some I expected, some posters have suprised me with their comments.

The Texan organization has decided to move on, why can't the haters.

:twocents:

:fans: :gotexans1

:coffee:

The only reason I want this to be true is so that I have less reason to believe that Rick Smith has no idea what he's doing. But as far as McNair goes: is hasn't he learned that playing favorites is hurting more than helping? He says he wants to win in Houston. You have to go about winning in the same business like manner you make money. Carr is potentially worth a 4th rnd pick if another team misses out on a targeted QB. Apparently some individuals are still bigger than the team and the pursuit of winning; and the guy gets to hurt the Texans one more time on his way out the door...

June 1st vs. non June 1st doesn't affect the total amount of dead money. It is $4 mil for Carr either way. The only difference is $4 mil all in 2007 or $2 mil in 2007 and $2 mil in 2008.

Vinny--like someone else mentioned, teams are allowed to designate two players as June 1st cuts even if they cut them earlier.
Thanks, I missed that...it's been a crazy day here so far.

:joker:

After the draft the teams that needed Qbs wouldn't need them anymore cause they would've drafted one. This is what the draft is for you know.

Unless there are only two QBs that you feel are starter quality and you pick after they have been picked by other teams. That is why other teams sometimes have the ability to pick before you you know.

If your reason had been that he would have a career ending knee injury, then you could rightfully pat yourself on the back.
I stated 'durability' as a reason for why the contract was excessive.

I'm not up on the all salary cap thing, but i'm pretty sure that we still have to pay Carr and Williams at least some money.

Not much of a surprise on either of them.

DD/DW is no surprise to me at all after I talked to a few medical professionals I know. Bone on bone just doesn't heal to the point where you can put the kind of strain on it that the NFL demands.

Put yourself in a GM's spot and looking for QB's. Would you want to pick up Carr's expensive contract for questionable goods? Do you think any other GM in their right mind would? So chances are pretty good Houston is going to have to eat the contract and release him. Once that happens, that's when you make a reasonable offer. I bet Carr's agent's phone is ringing off the hook right now. For whatever reasons, it didn't work out... we just need to take our lumps and move on.

Even though things didn't work out this year for David and Domanick, they are class guys and I wish them the best.

Glad we got Schaub, Carr will be ok somewhere else, I think Bob did this to help David. We took some hits to make this happen but we are better having it done!

Now get some OL help and some DB's and we might be able to play in the NFL!

According to 610, Carr and his agent requested the release, which was granted.

The Texans were spinning Carr's game for years. That's why I called it the Emperor's New Clothing regime for a while....its like nobody would tell Bob McNair and the fans anything except what he/they wanted to hear, and let's face it, many fans backed Carr solely because of the fact that McNair supported him. Marketing was more important than what happened on the field. It's time to turn the corner and stop being an expansion team.

You are almost correct.

I supported Carr because he was the QB of my team, the Houston Texans.

I will support Schaub with the same fervor.

I don't know anything about the marketing thing.

But you are 100% correct about turning the corner and moving forward.

:gotexans1

someone mentioned earlier that even detroit got a 6th for harrington. the texans could at least have gotten a 3rd or a 4th.

That was last offseason. take a look at what Miami got for Harrington THIS offseason: nada. Cut, just like his fellow failure from that QB class today. In a market where QBs who have actually won in the past (and who have reasonable contracts) are going for second day picks, this isn't surprising.

Unless there are only two QBs that you feel are starter quality and you pick after they have been picked by other teams. That is why other teams sometimes have the ability to pick before you you know.

I'm not so sure that there are mor ethen 2 temas that thing Carr is a started, and I'll guarntee that several teams would take a QB in the 3rd of 4th before trading that pick for Carr.

There was no market for Carr...deal with it.

Could've had Peppers, Could've had Leinart or Young. Instead of having any of that we lose two picks and two spots in the draft and got nothing for a #1 over all pick. Plus the Texans spent over $40million.

Sorry to sound so negative.

Could a, would a, should a, right?

Cheer up! If people learn from their mistakes, our front office ought to be full of geniuses right about now. :)

Well it's not surprising they released him. I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't get to trade him but it's time to move on. Whether you agree, disagree or whatever it's a new era for our team.

Should be if they are making these June 1st cuts as everyone is assuming.

I've been thinking about whether they will make them June 1 cuts. If they see this as a re-tooling year and that the possibilities for FA are better next year (no clue if that might be or not), then it might make sense to eat as much of the hit as we can this year and have even more to work with next year. Just a thought.

I am just stunned.

My head hurts.

Did David need to go? Yes.

Is this good for the team to move forward? Yes.

Its just how it was handled.

What was RS doing? Trying to sign and trade at the same time? Trade first then sign. Once we signed Schaub it was over.

IMO Robinson opening his mouth on national TV submarined any chance of getting anything for Carr.

Every team in the NFL believed RS when he said that Carr really was coming back and was the starting QB. He still had value. Then dumb dumb goes on national TV and talks about how Carr should go and everything went right out the window.

Could've had Peppers, Could've had Leinart or Young. Instead of having any of that we lose two picks and two spots in the draft and got nothing for a #1 over all pick. Plus the Texans spent over $40million.

Sorry to sound so negative.

Could a, would a, should a, right?

yeah now we can blame Dunta for Carr not being worth anything. Why dont you losers hold Carr accountable for once in your life....my freaking god

some of you guys are just plain ignorant...i blame HISD

I can believe this.

Even though Carr wasn't successfull here it appears McNair still respects the guy. I know I do.

It was McNairs money that funded Carrs contract.

Unlike the Carr haters around here that continue to take cheap shots at a guy who has too much class to get involved in a spitting match.

Some I expected, some posters have surprised me with their comments.

The Texan organization has decided to move on, why can't the haters.

I don't see very many "I told you so most," kinda like when Capers was fired...however, if Carr had come back next year, his supporters would have flooded this board with any/all rhetoric they could find...it would have been ugly.

Still, I bet the Carr :homer: 's don't go away anytime soon, though I like your idea of everyone moving on....so,keep an open mind and see which side can't let it go.

Finally, like with Caper's, I don't see any Carr:homer: 's admitting they were wrong about David staying...

According to 610, Carr and his agent requested the release, which was granted.

Here is the transcript from the call:

McNair: Hello David. We are doing what we can to trade you. Would you consider restructuring in order to make it possible?
Carr: My peepee hurts.
McNair: You know what, screw you!! Take a hike and take your gravy training dad with you. Enjoy the Arena Leagues. *click*

Let's not forget Domanick Williams. His contributions to this team was more valuable imo than Carr's ever was. Domanick gave us a solid running game. We could rely on him having a good game week in and week out when healthy. Wish him the best.

That was kind of my point.

But that strange things can happen in a draft and it would have cost us nothing to wait and see.

The writing was on the wall. McNair just expedited it as a favor to Carr.

I am so freaking happy to have that pile of crap off our team...good riddance

Carr's gone.....who can we hate on now?:dangit:

Casserly is immortal in that we can always hate him. Get the mob ready! No cutting in line or you will be moved to the back.

(Is that Life of Brian? I can't remember. I know the quote isn't completely accurate but you get the idea)

Carr will make a decent backup or third string quarterback. No way will he start unless the starter gets hurt if he gets signed somewhere. I am not surprised nobody in the NFL thought he was worth his contract, although there might be some interest at considerable less money. Kubiak has a solid reputation as a quarterback coach and I am sure they figured if he couldn't fix him, he wasn't worth their time to try either.

Great news for our organization getting all of these cap dollars back for 2007. We will have some money to spend with other team's cuts happening between now and June 1st to bring in more depth.

If we traded Carr his cap hit to us would have accelerated to 2007 for 4m and the team he would have been traded to would have taken on the base of his contract - the only party winning on that deal would have been Carr. McNair did right by the Texans, and Carr, by releasing him now in my opinion.

The real culprits in all of this were Casserly and Ferens. If it were not for their collective awful evaluation of talent, contract terms and zero creativity in managing Carr's extension, who knows, there may have been a longer relationship due to terms being equitable for the team.

This was a business decision made by people who do this every day. Do not confuse professional discretion in the development process (coach speak) for an actual performance review and its correlating end of year action (chopping block). It was not easy for many to see coming and as a fellow Texan fan I feel your pain, but the problem has always been Carr's contract and the value that never came to fruition. Houston had successful and passionate football before Carr and it will have it after Carr.

Today is a great day to be a Texan. :texflag:

Thanks to whoever changed the title of this thread. When I first saw it, I thought "Yeah, right. Oh, they released Mario Williams, too. Real funny."

I'll miss Davis/Williams. The man could catch out of the backfield. And he was great between the tackles. And Carr took one heck of a pummeling for this team. Sure, the return wasn't what we wanted, either during his tenure or during his exit but this way, he gets to pick his road and I'm glad McNair consented to the release. I'll take the loss of a late round pick as a way to make the road easier for a guy this franchise didn't take very good care of.

Good business decision? No. Smart football decision? No. Is that all there is to being a team owner? No.

Good on ya, Bob.

EDIT: Typo

Worst move in franchise history.

DETROIT GOT A 6TH ROUNDER FOR HARRINGTON.

HARRINGTON!?!?

Vikings get a 2nd for a blown knee Culpepper.

We have both a sucky QB and blown knee guy, and we get NOTHING for either of them.

Unless we are somehow hoping to get some supplemental picks, this is the WORST thing we could have done.

Was there ANY harm in waiting a few more weeks? Just to be nice to DC we release him early?

Im 100% sure we could have gotten at LEAST a conditional 7th in 08 or something crappy like that. We got nothing. Embarassing.

David Carr is the single reason this franchise is in the gutter

David Carr is the single reason this franchise is in the gutter

I respectfully disagree. Casserly, Ferens, Capers and Fangio had more to do with our woeful situation, but Carr was a large byproduct of it and never displayed the expected leadership to mobilize 52 other guys to fill the vacuum for poor management from the top.

Carr was no patsy, but his contract was a debilitating bee-otch.

i'm a die hard fan of teh texans, but i hope if david carr plays elsewhere and plays agaiinst houston i hope he shoves it down their throats and proves all the nay sayers wrong. i wish the best for david.

edit: that means i'll root for the texans, but i want david carr to do real good and prove everyone wrong for you slow people out there who can't comprehend. :rolleyes:

Ok I agree with you.

Im just so ticked off that we got nothing at all for Carr, who the entire NFL seems to think is full of potential

He was crappy for a lot of years, cost us a lot of money, and is now gone with nothing in return. It still makes me nauseous to think about

I've been thinking about whether they will make them June 1 cuts. If they see this as a re-tooling year and that the possibilities for FA are better next year (no clue if that might be or not), then it might make sense to eat as much of the hit as we can this year and have even more to work with next year. Just a thought.

Totally agree.

Carr will make a decent backup or third string quarterback. No way will he start unless the starter gets hurt if he gets signed somewhere. I am not surprised nobody in the NFL thought he was worth his contract, although there might be some interest at considerable less money. Kubiak has a solid reputation as a quarterback coach and I am sure they figured if he couldn't fix him, he wasn't worth their time to try either.

when a guy with Kubiak's QB tutoring skills is essentially giving up on a guy less than 12 months after being HC, it is not a good sign.

i'm a die hard fan of teh texans, but i hope if david carr plays elsewhere and plays agaiinst houston i hope he shoves it down their throats and proves all the nay sayers wrong. i wish the best for david.

I hope DRob jumps the little 1 yard hitch and runs it back for a TD, OVER David Carr.

Im sorry, but all you people who claim that Carr has given up a lot for this team are truly crazy. If you want to feel sorry for someone being cut, feel sorry for other people who get paid reasonable salaries and are released just prior to retirement bonuses.

Carr has been paid millions to be a horrible QB. He should be so lucky to find another team as generous as the Texans were to him.

I hope he is finally outetd as the failure that he is

I'm sorry but that's not Die-hard. That's lay-down. Die-hard means it's hard to get you to stop being a fan. If you cheer against a team, you're not a fan of theirs. I'm sorry.

lol, you are a Carr fan not a die hard Texan

I hope DRob jumps the little 1 yard hitch and runs it back for a TD, OVER David Carr.

Im sorry, but all you people who claim that Carr has given up a lot for this team are truly crazy. If you want to feel sorry for someone being cut, feel sorry for other people who get paid reasonable salaries and are released just prior to retirement bonuses.

Carr has been paid millions to be a horrible QB. He should be so lucky to find another team as generous as the Texans were to him.

I hope he is finally outetd as the failure that he is
Exactly, the Texans did him a huge favor by cutting him now!

They could have hung on to him till June when most vacancies would have all ready been filled just to stick it to him.

But, McNair doesn't run the Texans that way. Which is nice in some ways, but not necessarily good if you want to be cut-throat winner.

I like DC as well but if he ever plays the Texans I am hoping he blows out a knee.

But I wish that for everyone the Texans play against.

Someday I am going to get me a Manning Vodoo doll.

Ok I agree with you.

Im just so ticked off that we got nothing at all for Carr, who the entire NFL seems to think is full of potential

He was crappy for a lot of years, cost us a lot of money, and is now gone with nothing in return. It still makes me nauseous to think about
The fact is after Shaub was brought aboard no team was going to give the Texans anything because they new they wouldnt pay 2 QB's starters salary. If they could have delt him before that move, they may have gotten a pick.

Back