Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Carr and Domanick Williams Released

Well, if we lose the first pre-season game, I'm sure it will be Schaub.

your wrong but i guarantee you one thing. the texans wont give him 5 years like they did with your unemployed hero. schaub will get 2 years to prove himself, and possibly a 3rd year as a 'do or die' year.....that is how things work in the NFL...some of you may want to wake up to reality and get out of yoru Normal Rockwell delusion

They could have easily waited a while longer and at least gotten something. Even a sixth rounder is better than nothing. Bad move by management!!!!

worse than:
-trading a collective 5 first day picks + a 4th for Jason Babin, Philip Buchanon, and Tony Hollings.
-Todd Wade's contract
-drafting Dave Ragone in the 3rd round in 2003 and never promoting him to at least the #2 QB.
-trading out of a position to take future Pro Bowler Jammal Brown plus Derrick Johnson in 2005 to get a defensive tackle who might not have even fit the defensive scheme at the time.
-Extending Carr for THREE years last year.
-never finding a legit #2 WR until last year.
-making Victor Riley the starting LT in 2005.

...i didn't even count the Gary walker extension and the ridiculous $$$ for Robaire Smith and Morlon Greenwood.

you cant get return for a possession that has absolutely no value. i dont fault the Texans for cleanly slicing Carr from the ranks.

SAD but true! I think we Texans fanz has suffered LONG enough! :gun: :drunk: :bomb:

They could have easily waited a while longer and at least gotten something. Even a sixth rounder is better than nothing. Bad move by management!!!!

dude. no one wanted him through a trade. he was making over 6 MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR!! no one is bringing in QB competition much less a backup QB for that much money. doesnt everyone understand that? is it that difficult? cmon now.

carr and his agent declined to renegotiate thus any trade was totally out of the question...any team that wanted him only had to wait till June 1st at the latest to pick him up FOR NO DRAFT PICKS AND FOR LESS THAN HALF THE MONEY!!

geez. i know not all fans understand how NFL trades and the salary caps work, but please at least understand that you dont pay for something you can get for free. understanding that simple business principle will make you sound a lot less stupid and save us all a lot of time.

It was a stupid move and a sign that the ownership here is miles behind it's competition in other cities regardless of how "classy" Bob is. As long as Bob is worried about looking like the classiest owner in the bunch and giving away players to do it the Texans are going to continue to look like chumps and be routinely taken advantage of by smarter GM's and owners.

Can you give an example of a player the Texans gave away? I can't think of one. Carr's contract was unmoveable. If that's not obvious to some, it will be crystal clear when David signs on with another team for less than he would have made with the Texans.

I'm not going to lead cheers for every move McNair, Kubiak, Smith have made. But, you're way off on this one.

I like DC as well but if he ever plays the Texans I am hoping he blows out a knee.

But I wish that for everyone the Texans play against.

Someday I am going to get me a Manning Vodoo doll.

That's terrible. I wouldn't wish a blown out knee on DC or anyone else . . . . well . . except VY maybe.:hide:

...yea, classy-shame Carr didn't rework his contract to help 'everybody'...guess there is a line there that doesn't get crossed for personal reasons

He was willing to stay and honor the contract. It was the organization that decided to make the change.

Can you give an example of a player the Texans gave away? I can't think of one. Carr's contract was unmoveable. If that's not obvious to some, it will be crystal clear when David signs on with another team for less than he would have made with the Texans.

I'm not going to lead cheers for every move McNair, Kubiak, Smith have made. But, you're way off on this one.

Dave Ragone. We were going to let him have a chance to make it for another team because he didn't fit the system here. Didn't the team he went to get a draft pick for him?

Maybe Carr's contract was unmoveable, but given the crazy money out there these days, it might have been worth holding him until the draft.

we should of least traded him for a late round pick then not getting anything for him...i don't know what they were thinking, since it seems like a lot of teams are interested in him

He was willing to stay and honor the contract. It was the organization that decided to make the change.

do you even believe half of what comes out of your mouth? it was greed. good ole fashioned greed.....any claim otherwise is just drivel and spin.

Don't play Carr as a kid from Fresno wandering the big streets of Houston without an agent. He understands the business, the cap and the impact of the signing bonuses. You are doing him no favors taking up for him with that line of "honor" when other players all around the league, and on his team, restructure. Hulk gave us eyes to this a week ago when he said that Carr and his agent were not going to restructure.

Jamie Sharper, Aaron Glenn, Jay Foreman. The Texans made the public announcement that these 3 were free to seek a trade which means, in NFL speak, just sit tight and we'll release these guys, so please don't call us anymore.

Don't play Carr as a kid from Fresno wandering the big streets of Houston without an agent. He understands the business, the cap and the impact of the signing bonuses. You are doing him no favors taking up for him with that line of "honor" when other players all around the league, and on his team, restructure. Hulk gave us eyes to this a week ago when he said that Carr and his agent were not going to restructure.

yup hulk said that restructuring was totally out of the question and that made a trade nigh impossible. No one in the NFL wants that contract as it is currently written. Most teams were probably also hesitant to add years to any reworked contract as well. Carr is not as highly viewed around the league as some of the less informed think. He has massive holes in his game and huge fundamental flaws. Will someone think they can turn him around? its possible, but dont count on it.

Dave Ragone. We were going to let him have a chance to make it for another team because he didn't fit the system here. Didn't the team he went to get a draft pick for him?

Maybe Carr's contract was unmoveable, but given the crazy money out there these days, it might have been worth holding him until the draft.

Ther are so many possibilties on why it played out like this with the relationship of McNair and Carr being the obvious one being played here. I would like to find out who Carr's agent represents on the Texans currently as that may have had an impact as well. This type of sever can hurt relationships and future negotiations/leverage when dealing with the soft underbelly of the sports world. Just thinking out loud.

Ther are so many possibilties on why it played out like this with the relationship of McNair and Carr being the obvious one being played here. I would like to find out who Carr's agent represents on the Texans currently as that may have had an impact as well. This type of sever can hurt relationships and future negotiations/leverage when dealing with the soft underbelly of the sports world. Just thinking out loud.

that is an aspect I hadn't thought of yet.

Carr's gone.....who can we hate on now?:dangit:

The Tennessee Titans!!!!!!!!!!!

IF Carr was released today because our owner wanted to honor his relationship with the QB, then yeah, we still have a noob owner making rookie mistakes. It's a cut-throat business and winners do what it takes to win, which means getting what you can in spite of your personal relationships.

However, I'm more inclined to think that there simply wasn't a market for DC, and no team has offered diddly squat for us to make a deal.

I wish DC the best, but it's time to move onward and upward. August 2007 can't come soon enough for me!!

The Texans released Ragone, who was signed by the Bengals, who traded him to the Rams for a 7th round selection, conditional on Ragone making the opening day roster. He didn't, and the Bengals got bupkis.

NFL teams release players from their contracts all the time. Check the wire if you don't believe me. It's usually because their salaries don't match their performance. That's the same here as it is everywhere else.

...yea, classy-shame Carr didn't rework his contract to help 'everybody'...guess there is a line there that doesn't get crossed for personal reasons

Typical, just keep blaming Carr for everything. Let's not blame the QB guru that endorsed him, paid him and dumped him. Let's not blame the the leader of one of the leagues worst defenses the last two years. Let's not blame the owner, who has such deep pockets, his judgement is often clouded.

Hopefully your new crush of a QB will have a decent team around him. Maybe Carr will now get that chance after six years.

If an organization is going to control where a player under contract is going to play (either remaining with the current organization or trading him to another team) then that organization should have to honor the contract. It wouldn't be fair for an organization to be able to have the flexibility to both mandate a restructuring and steer a player to a specific organization where he may not want to go.

The player justifiably has the leverage to either have his contract honored with a trade, or to renegotiate with the team of his choice.

Jamie Sharper, Aaron Glenn, Jay Foreman.
So you're suggesting that the Texans could have received draft choices for these players? With their salaries? Not to be insulting, but that is an absolutely absurd assertion.

Typical, just keep blaming Carr for everything. Let's not blame the QB guru that endorsed him, paid him and dumped him. Let's not blame the the leader of one of the leagues worst defenses the last two years. Let's not blame the owner, who has such deep pockets, his judgement is often clouded.

Hopefully your new crush of a QB will have a decent team around him. Maybe Carr will now get that chance after six years.

If loving David Carr is wrong then I don't want to be right.

If an organization is going to control where a player under contract is going to play (either remaining with the current organization or trading him to another team) then that organization should have to honor the contract. It wouldn't be fair for an organization to be able to have the flexibility to both mandate a restructuring and steer a player to a specific organization where he may not want to go.

The player justifiably has the leverage to either have his contract honored with a trade, or to renegotiate with the team of his choice.

Unfortunately that is not the case and contracts are structured as such since signing bonuses rule the cap era. It has been tacitly done since the salary cap was instituted. Honor and cap are not peas and carrots.

Best part about Carr being released is that any talk about him moves to the NFL section and out of the Bullpen, where we can talk about the Texans.

Jamie Sharper, Aaron Glenn, Jay Foreman. The Texans made the public announcement that these 3 were free to seek a trade which means, in NFL speak, just sit tight and we'll release these guys, so please don't call us anymore.

That's crap. Teams let folks seek a trade every year. If they have value, someone will trade for them. If they don't, they are retained or released. Aaron Glenn was never even on the trade block--he asked to be released. Sharper and Foreman who have played a collective what 4 games in the last two years, had no trade value.

TC--Ragone was "traded" for a conditional 7th which didn't turn into anything.

translation: David is making a big money grab because he knows that people arent exactly breaking down doors to grab him. Welcome to reality Carr (and his homers)

I think Carr will get picked up by another team. I wish him well. I fell bad for DW though, was in denial last season about his injury, but his career may be over.

Unfortunately that is not the case and contracts are structured as such since signing bonuses rule the cap era. It has been tacitly done since the salary cap was instituted.

That's true, but it's when the restructured deal favors the player (like when Moulds got a new deal from the Texans). If a player can't make a favorable deal with a team trading for him, he won't restructure for the hell of it.

I sure hope David gets a really good chance away from the Texans.

I hope the team/managment doesn't screw over Matt too. Get him a decent O-line or we're in for a replay.

uh when did i say i'd cheer against the texans simpleton? i said i'd root for carr and hope he shoves it down the texans throat.

Ok, I am a pretty educated person, and to me, this sounds as if you are cheering against the Texans.

If several of us think this, then perhaps you are not conveying your true message very well.

Why are you resorting to calling names like "simpleton"? I'm sure we can all debate without the hate. :grouphug:

The Texans released Ragone, who was signed by the Bengals, who traded him to the Rams for a 7th round selection, conditional on Ragone making the opening day roster. He didn't, and the Bengals got bupkis.

NFL teams release players from their contracts all the time. Check the wire if you don't believe me. It's usually because their salaries don't match their performance. That's the same here as it is everywhere else.

I realize it happens all the time.

QBs can be different though because they are like pitchers. Whatever you think of him, his reputation nationally wasn't as bad as it was here: not too many guys of Carr's durability, starts, and questions about who was around him, age.

I would have like to have a bit more hard ball.

Exactly. A team shouldn't have control over the player's restructuring of his salary AND decide where he is going to go.

So you're suggesting that the Texans could have received draft choices for these players? With their salaries? Not to be insulting, but that is an absolutely absurd assertion.

That's crap. Teams let folks seek a trade every year. If they have value, someone will trade for them. If they don't, they are retained or released. Aaron Glenn was never even on the trade block--he asked to be released. Sharper and Foreman who have played a collective what 4 games in the last two years, had no trade value.

TC--Ragone was "traded" for a conditional 7th which didn't turn into anything.
There sure could've been picks(never said HIGH picks) for Sharper and Glenn. Players ARE released every year, but not withe the resumes of Sharper or Glenn. Players aren't always released just because they ask for it. Like TC has posted a couple of time...sometimes the Texans are way to nice.
Sharper getting injured was just plain bad luck. The guy was a pretty good LB for us.

Exactly. A team shouldn't have control over the player's restructuring of his salary AND decide where he is going to go.

yup, and they dont. they can ask and most of the time the player isnt so greedy. just ask pennington and harrington, both of whom have restructured in order to keep their job/have a shot at a job. carr showed those strong 'christian values' real well by going the greedy route and not helping out the team that showed 5 years of patience and set his children/family up for life. but whatever, he is gone and will be lucky to ever start another NFL game...while we have a franchise on the upswing and new direction at QB.

sucks to be a carr fan right about now....great to be a texans fan

GO TEXANS

What does an example of a player the Texans gave away have to do with this? I'm talking about David Carr and the idea that Bob McNair made the call to release him now so that he could go find a deal on his own.

If that was indeed the case then Bob chose to give David the time to find a team interested in him instead of choosing to give the Texans as much time as possible to find a potential trade partner. Maybe the contract is impossible to move but we'll never know if they could have found a draft day suitor to the Texans and David Carrs liking now. any chance of that happening (however small) is gone but at least Bob and David are good. That's a comfort.

I don't think I'm way off on this one at all. I think that Bob McNair had a terribly unrealistic vision of David Carr and that the way he viewed him (and continues to view him) has hurt his football team.

I think Carr will get picked up by another team. I wish him well. I fell bad for DW though, was in denial last season about his injury, but his career may be over.

I'm sure he'll get picked up.

I hope this is a new day for both the Texans and David.

We need some winning around here.

I would have like to have a bit more hard ball.

Here is what is seemingly lost on the segment of fans that think the Texans should have held out for a trade. Why would another team want to trade a draft pick (cherished in the NFL) for a player that they know will be cut, eventually? Why?

Sure, there are teams that would like to pickup David. Not for the contract he's carrying. And they aren't going to throw away draft picks, that's the lifeblood of NFL teams. Just wait the Texans out. And if they don't pickup Carr, they'll just look at Culpepper or Trent Green or whatever QB that's on the outs with their current club. There is no logical reason for a team to trade for David Carr.

I'm sure he'll get picked up.

I hope this is a new day for both the Texans and David.

We need some winning around here.

I agree with half of that. I hope this is a new day for the Texans because we need some winning around here. I don't really have an opinion on David Carr at this point because he's not on the football team that I follow.

Why would another team want to trade a draft pick (cherished in the NFL) for a player that they know will be cut, eventually. Why? QUOTE]

They wouldn't, maybe Casserly would...lol...

Any teams with interest in David know all they have to do is wait...

Why give up valuable pics when you know that David will be cut anyway?

I agree with half of that. I hope this is a new day for the Texans because we need some winning around here. I don't really have an opinion on David Carr at this point because he's not on the football team that I follow.

i actually hope Carr does get signed somewhere so then some of his zealots on this forum will migrate to his new team's forums sooner rather than later

Understandably so. I've followed David's career for many years and will continue to do so. I wish him well.

I also wish for the Texans to not only show improvement, but to become a kick a** team.

Here is what is seemingly lost on the segment of fans that think the Texans should have held out for a trade. Why would another team want to trade a draft pick (cherished in the NFL) for a player that they know will be cut, eventually? Why?

Sure, there are teams that would like to pickup David. Not for the contract he's carrying. And they aren't going to throw away draft picks, that's the lifeblood of NFL teams. Just wait the Texans out. And if they don't pickup Carr, they'll just look at Culpepper or Trent Green or whatever QB that's on the outs with their current club. There is no logical reason for a team to trade for David Carr.

Not even a 5? Not even a 6? Not even if he's willing to restructure his deal to go to that team?

It's not lost on me that it's terribly unlikely to happen. I just think that it wouldn't have hurt anyone to continue to see what happens between now and the draft. Stranger things have happened. Somebody gave the Lions a pick for Harrington even though they knew he wasn't going to be a Lion the next year. Somebody always does something stupid in the NFL when you least expect it. Usually that somebody is the Texans but from time to time other teams do odd things as well. What's the harm in waiting another month to see if you can get anything (even a future 5 or 6) for David Carr?

Why would another team want to trade a draft pick (cherished in the NFL) for a player that they know will be cut, eventually. Why? QUOTE]

They wouldn't, maybe Casserly would...lol...

Any teams with interest in David know all they have to do is wait...

Why give up valuable pics when you know that David will be cut anyway?

I think the Carr-itis is working its way out of your body. You are starting to make more sense :) by November you wont even remember who our last QB was :)

dont u people think that the FO tried to get a draft pick for him?!!?! I mean jeeze, get a grip.

I think this just shows that there really isnt much demand for David, that no one else really thinks he's very talented. Just be glad its done, and we can monve on.

Back