Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

BADBOY's 2019 offseason FA, trade possibilities and draft thoughts

Nice work BB

I hope our scouting staff is as busy as you are 'beating the bushes' looking for players.

I had looked at Pipkins but the rest are new to me. Zeirlein rates him as a good development prospect and projects him a rd 4 possibility, ps player.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/trey-pipkins?id=32195049-5057-9461-c1e8-051341a4a8d1

Pollard might catch Gaines eye if he still seeks out special team players like he did last year.

:coffee:

Gaine’s strength under Rick Smith was bringing in street/undrafted free agents to be contributors. He did well at that again last season. I’m really excited to see what he can do his first draft with 3 picks in the top 55.

Looking forward to the next couple of nights. I’m working in Louisiana but will be heading to walk-ons to watch the draft. Awesome sports bar that drew Bree’s is a part of. I think they are spreading in Texas, best food around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. Some players who may go later than originally expected: DL Rashan Gary, OLB Montez Sweat and CB DeAndre Baker who likely would be the top corner in the draft if there weren't character concerns. #NFLDraft

— Jordan Raanan (@JordanRaanan) April 25, 2019

Some #NFLDraft observations after talking to people in and around the league the past few weeks:
1. Some players who may get drafted higher than expected: DL Christian Wilkins, OLB Brian Burns, G Chris Lindstrom, OL Andre Dillard, Michigan St. CB Justin Layne

3. Get ready for offensive lineman run between about 7-14. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Washington State's Andre Dillard is first off the board. Seems to be a lot of love for him. Hard to see a top tackle reaching the #Giants at 17. More likely 37 or later for them for OT.

4. This may be the year that quarterbacks don't get severely overdrafted. It's possible barring a trade only one (Kyler Murray) goes in the Top 10. Might spark teams to start moving around in the teens though. #NFLDraft

5. Strong safety draft. Second round into third is the sweet spot. Expecting the #Giants to dip their toes in those waters. Maybe with the pick they add in the late 2nd or early 3rd. #NFLDraft

The back part of the first round could be fascinating tonight. Picks 21-26 — the #Seahawks to the #Colts — have shown an interest in trading back, I’m told. If the #Giants don’t get a QB at 6 or 17, they may trade back into the 1st for one.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 25, 2019

Nice work BB

I hope our scouting staff is as busy as you are 'beating the bushes' looking for players.

I had looked at Pipkins but the rest are new to me. Zeirlein rates him as a good development prospect and projects him a rd 4 possibility, ps player.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/trey-pipkins?id=32195049-5057-9461-c1e8-051341a4a8d1

Pollard might catch Gaines eye if he still seeks out special team players like he did last year.

thanks for compliment. Pipkin didn't get my attention until late. Haven't seen much film on him so Lance could have better ranking. Duck
And Chris Johnson very good. Also it's Donnie Lewis not Layne, I keep correcting.

Nice work BB

thanks for compliment. Pipkin didn't get my attention until late. Haven't seen much film on him so Lance could have better ranking. Duck
And Chris Johnson very good. Also it's Donnie Lewis not Layne, I keep correcting.

11. #Texans have been poking around the veteran cornerback market for potential trade additions. They definitely want to make pick up something there. Worth keeping that in mind during the draft.

— Charles Robinson (@CharlesRobinson) April 25, 2019

29 YOA decent stats and final season contract but I would give no more than 6th. Like Robey he will want huge $ 2020, I'd rather draft corners.

4 pro bowl appearances and 2 times all-pro who earned the nickname "no-fly zone" at the cost less 9 million for 2019 is just decent?

An unfortunate fact about the Texans 1st rnd picks since 2014............a magnet for IR. Every single Texans 1st rnd selection starting with Jadeveon Clowney in 2014 spent at least one stint on IR for more than half the season (Clowney in 2014, Johnson in 2016, Fuller in 2018 and Watson in 2017). Time to break the trend.

4 pro bowl appearances and 2 times all-pro who earned the nickname "no-fly zone" at the cost less 9 million for 2019 is just decent?
And since 2016 ended he had regressed IMO. He was ranked 29th best corner in 2017 and broke his leg in 2018 and missed last couple games. He's good as I said but I don't want to pay for what he was. I will not scream oh no if he is traded for but I'd rather not other than as I posted--a 6th.

And since 2016 ended he had regressed IMO. He was ranked 29th best corner in 2017 and broke his leg in 2018 and missed last couple games. He's good as I said but I don't want to pay for what he was. I will not scream oh no if he is traded for but I'd rather not other than as I posted--a 6th.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-10-cornerbacks-by-passer-rating-in-2018

Passer Rating Allowed: 63.6

Harris has been the standard-bearer for a handful of years now when it comes to covering the slot, and he continued to thrive from that spot in 2018. In total, Harris allowed 40 catches on 64 targets for a total of 365 yards and a touchdown to go with three interceptions. Out of the slot, he allowed 23 of 36 targets to be caught for 217 yards, no touchdowns, and two picks. Harris ranked second among cornerbacks by surrendering just a 57.3 passer rating when covering the slot and he ranked third among slot corners by allowing only 0.75 yards per coverage snap.

Here we go! Badboy has eaten his homemade taco salad and has 3 pounds of chocolate chip cookies open and ready to go. How many trades will be made in round one? I'm going with 6.

On the Clowney front, I doubt a trade that helps Texans occurs. Still due to trades here are teams with attractive trade bait.

San Francisco 2.36 550 3.67 255 total 805 (Seattle had 1.21 at 800).
*Seattle after trades: 2.37 530 3.92 132 4.114 66 4.18 58 4.124 48 4.132 40 5.142 35 5.159 28

Ok so far Howard a reach but if he can be the future at LT or even RT I don't care. Same with Scharping but I see him able to start sooner. Lonnie Johnson feet and back pedal can help him in press but I don't see him at corner in NFL as no speed past ten yards. Could be a backup for Colvin or new SS Gypson. Again, everything says OBrien okay with OLine as is.

Ok so far Howard a reach but if he can be the future at LT or even RT I don't care. Same with Scharping but I see him able to start sooner. Lonnie Johnson feet and back pedal can help him in press but I don't see him at corner in NFL as no speed past ten yards. Could be a backup for Colvin or new SS Gypson. Again, everything says OBrien okay with OLine as is.

Projected Starting OL

LT- Davenport
LG- Rankins
OC- Martin
RG- Fulton
RT- Henderson

This really sucks but given OB's history......this is who he pencils regardless of Camp production.

Backup OL

LT- Khalil / Howard
LG- Kelemete
OC- Mancz
RG- Mancz
RT- Scharping

Texans will be forced to carry 10 OL on the roster this season or trade / cut 2 of them.

If I was setting this lineup:

LT- Khalil / Howard (Starter by Game 6 unless Khalil is having a season)
LG- Rankins / Kelemete
OC- Mancz / Martin / Fulton (Mancz is the better Center)
RG- Fulton / Mancz / Martin
RT- Scharping / Henderson (Scharping is the better RT) (Henderson or Davenport should be the expendable piece......but it'll probably be Kelemete since the Texans OT's got beat-up and beat last season.)

IMO I cannot see any of those guys beating out Davenport if Rankins couldn't how can they? SOme have mentioned Khalil might not make roster and everyone says Howard is developmental. You really see him starting by game 6? I think the projected lineups are right and if Scharping as good as I think, we might go with eight or nine.

IMO I cannot see any of those guys beating out Davenport if Rankins couldn't how can they? SOme have mentioned Khalil might not make roster and everyone says Howard is developmental. You really see him starting by game 6? I think the projected lineups are right and if Scharping as good as I think, we might go with eight or nine.

Rankin missed entire offseason program and just got to practicing final week of training camp. He wasn't in the competition to start.

Rankin missed entire offseason program and just got to practicing final week of training camp. He wasn't in the competition to start.
you don't think he got any thoughts after he returned to field? Despite his failure at LT I feel certain he got snaps in practice at LT in case D had to come out. He was in competition but only chance to remain in NFL was at LG; dude cannot even play RT.

you don't think he got any thoughts after he returned to field? Despite his failure at LT I feel certain he got snaps in practice at LT in case D had to come out. He was in competition but only chance to remain in NFL was at LG; dude cannot even play RT.

He was never 100% last year and started off behind the 8 ball. See CND's posts on Rankin throughout the year. That's not a legitimate competition.

He was never 100% last year and started off behind the 8 ball. See CND's posts on Rankin throughout the year. That's not a legitimate competition.
I'm fully aware of doc's comments and Rankin's health. He started games at LG despite those injuries and would have played LT if D was out. There was no other choice. D played 15 at LT and 1 at RT IIRC

Edit: 14 and 2

Last edited:
This was a stronger draft than most originally thought. Many players slid down or even off the board.
I am betting there are going to be some interesting cuts from most teams and plenty of options to grab one or more from practice squads.
Looking forward to see how it all unfolds.

This off season not only brings talent but will lower avg age as some of our
vets leave. Griffin should be gone and even he realizes that.

I haven't noticed as much interest in UDFA before.
Seems to me this is because of the obvious depth of talent in it.
There should be a flow on effect into next year's draft too.
The NFL is going to be good to watch for many years to come - should be quite a few household names emerge.

I'm trying to find teams willing trade now. Draft picks I wanted went for players I'm not excited about. Even if Raiders would give up 1 safety Abrams 2. CB Trayvon Mullen I'm not sure I'd do that. Clowney for Seattle's Metcalf and R. Penny would be gambles but I'd consider that. Giants nope.

The Raiders have two first round picks and two thirds in 2020. Approximately $28 m cap remaining this year and apprx 70 m 2020. Some think Raiders will again select high despite 2019 additions. Clowney for their own first and Bear's third? Clowney would help them and should lower those picks but Houston should be interested.

The Raiders have two first round picks and two thirds in 2020. Approximately $28 m cap remaining this year and apprx 70 m 2020. Some think Raiders will again select high despite 2019 additions. Clowney for their own first and Bear's third? Clowney would help them and should lower those picks but Houston should be interested.

Tell me again why the Raiders would do this trade when they are obviously building thru the draft and FA, like the Texans should be doing.

Make a bet with you, in 2020 the Raiders have a better record than the Texans. When the Raiders get to Vegas they're going to be ready to roll.

I haven't noticed as much interest in UDFA before.
Seems to me this is because of the obvious depth of talent in it.
There should be a flow on effect into next year's draft too.
The NFL is going to be good to watch for many years to come - should be quite a few household names emerge.
Yes, i I am hopeful as much for the udfa as our draft picks. Players like Chris Johnson, the running backs, Drew Jones the center from Rhodes University , and one or two of the linebackers and defensive linemen are going to be on top of my list to watch this year.

Anyone ready to start listing 2018 roster players you think will be cut by end of the preseason games? Bademosi, and Kelemete are two for me. I would have added Scarlet until injury of ejiofor.

Scarlett & Ejiofor play different positions. Scarlett is to McKinney what Ejiofor is to Clowney/Mercilus.

Scarlett isn't much of an edge rusher.
The day I posted it was mentioned on radio, no longer remember who that Scarlett was
Scarlett & Ejiofor play different positions. Scarlett is to McKinney what Ejiofor is to Clowney/Mercilus.

Scarlett isn't much of an edge rusher.
Not my point; I had Scarlett being cut but with Ejiofor out the roster spot opening will allow Scarlett to remain.

I'm surprised Patrick Peterson has not had increased comments on MB since his suspension was made known. Just my thoughts 29 YOA (July 11th)with minimal injury risk https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/patrick-peterson/4748

Stats good and consistent career wise and no trouble maker on or off field. He has coveted size and speed still appears to be there. Pro Bowl has lost its meaning to me but he has never missed one in eight years; any player on Texans current roster match that?

Under contract for 2019 & 2020 with great numbers and only $1.3 dead money if cut.
Loss of first six games this season but dang...when he does hit field I could see him having a Badger type effect. While two million higher than Robey, he would not be a one season guy. If Colvin turns it around or if 2nd round Lonnie Johnson or even Derrick Baity can start in 2020 we might not have to draft for corner for long time. I'm also not counting out Chris Johnson moving from safety to corner. If Roby is as successful as I think, I would pay him to remain with PP replacing Joseph as starter 2020. I also am not ruling out another contract for J Joseph.

Also in regards to suspension, only 10 regular season games go against cap. I would be burning Cards GM's ear offering low and moving up as required. Unlike many I hear saying on radio, he will not be cheap.

Washington just lost linebacker Reuben Foster. I wonder if we have anybody they would be interested in that we could benefit in a trade.
Well Dylan Cole but he is valuable depth for us at the ILB position.

I'm surprised Patrick Peterson has not had increased comments on MB since his suspension was made known. Just my thoughts 29 YOA (July 11th)with minimal injury risk https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/patrick-peterson/4748

Stats good and consistent career wise and no trouble maker on or off field. He has coveted size and speed still appears to be there. Pro Bowl has lost its meaning to me but he has never missed one in eight years; any player on Texans current roster match that?

Under contract for 2019 & 2020 with great numbers and only $1.3 dead money if cut.
Loss of first six games this season but dang...when he does hit field I could see him having a Badger type effect. While two million higher than Robey, he would not be a one season guy. If Colvin turns it around or if 2nd round Lonnie Johnson or even Derrick Baity can start in 2020 we might not have to draft for corner for long time. I'm also not counting out Chris Johnson moving from safety to corner. If Roby is as successful as I think, I would pay him to remain with PP replacing Joseph as starter 2020. I also am not ruling out another contract for J Joseph.

Also in regards to suspension, only 10 regular season games go against cap. I would be burning Cards GM's ear offering low and moving up as required. Unlike many I hear saying on radio, he will not be cheap.

The Texans spending the $$$$ to get PP? Apparently you aren't aware of how the Texans org does business.

What makes you so high on Roby? He's been closer to a bust than a differencemaker.

After a lengthy post in thread on Trent Williams, I want to add thought but not edit my post. Williams represents the type of possibilities I hoped for when it appeared we were not getting Trent Brown. I reviewed TW as a long shot trade possibility but finally decided no way Washington would be interested. TW may have taken that out of teams hands. Of course Wash may be able to soothe his feelings but same was said about Bell and Antonio Brown. It might come to nothing but still worthy of discussing as a possibility. Geron Christian may step up to start but don't count out Timon Parris who was getting some attention as a small school LT before injuring fibula 2017 and missing Senior Bowl. Some project him to OG but with more work he just might give others run for their money--- if TW leaves. Parris was a project but has a year in training and weight room and I see him as a shark waiting for his bite. I think Wash will do all possible to keep TW including coming up with some cash. Will it be enough to mollify? I am hoping not.

Now if we could just get Patrick Peterson...

Back