Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

BADBOY's 2019 offseason FA, trade possibilities and draft thoughts

I dunno but seems to me that Trent Williams sounds like another disgruntled left tackle who the Texans might be reluctant to hook up with after the Duane Brown experience.
Atleast on the offensive side of the ball the Texans would seem to have a happy locker room.
Thing is these left tackles have a unique form of leverage at their disposal because of the teams imperative to protect the franchise QB.

I dunno but seems to me that Trent Williams sounds like another disgruntled left tackle who the Texans might be reluctant to hook up with after the Duane Brown experience.
Atleast on the offensive side of the ball the Texans would seem to have a happy locker room.
Thing is these left tackles have a unique form of leverage at their disposal because of the teams imperative to protect the franchise QB.
Disgruntled because of the way he thinks he was treated medically? I think even non left tackles like me and you can understand that. lol. He wants more money..me too! Didn't JJ Watt have disgruntlement before signing his current contract? Then there was some guy name AJ who is now a coach.

Disgruntled because of the way he thinks he was treated medically? I think even non left tackles like me and you can understand that. lol. He wants more money..me too! Didn't JJ Watt have disgruntlement before signing his current contract? Then there was some guy name AJ who is now a coach.
So you Williams situation is not that much unlike the situations that Watts & AJ had in Houston ?

Watt held ut when? AJ refused to re-structure when?

Jalen Ramsey cornerback Jaguars showing up to training camp last week in an armored money truck indicates to me he still wants Mucho Dinero. Will he get it? Not anytime soon from Jacksonville. All he can continue to do is make himself a nuisance and Jags owner does not like that. If Texans complete trade for Trent Williams, I think we will see more antics from Mr Ramsey. Seeing Texans stepping up for Jonathan Joseph this week and giving a healthy New Deal to Trent Williams would make Ramsey salivate. Perhaps Patrick Peterson would become vocal again also.

https://clutchpoints.com/jaguars-ne...jacksonville-will-have-to-trade-jalen-ramsey/

Last edited:
Just found this tweet not sure who Paul Conner is but is fan.

Paul Conner (@P_ConnerJr) Tweeted:
Whoa. DeAngelo Hall said he's talked to #Redskins LT Trent Williams.

Hall said, "It's not about money. That's what makes this so unorthodox and something we've never seen. We've never had a player say, 'Hey, get that training staff out of here or I'm not coming back.'" https://t.co/MIii8RVaNihttps://twitter.com/P_ConnerJr/status/

And this reply to his tweet:
Scott Campbell (@limowreck) Tweeted:
@jetsfan29 @Ceswizzell @P_ConnerJr Pay the right price and he's yours... apparently that's the situation right now. https://twitter.com/limowreck/status/1157034642563915778?s=17

This was from earlier today.

Original from D Hall was 4 days ago.

exchange, which I believe is with the NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo:

Hall: I have talked to him, and he’s in a good place, and mentally, he’s prepared to figure this thing out –

Garafolo: Is it a contract thing?

Hall: It’s not a contract thing, and that’s what I asked him. I’m sure he won’t mind me saying this, (which was) ‘hey Trent, what’s the endgame?’ It’s not about money. Would money help ease things a little bit? Maybe so, but this is not strictly a financial situation that we’re discussing and that’s exactly what you’re saying, Mike, which makes it so different and unorthodox and something we’ve never seen. We’ve never had a player say, ‘hey, get that training staff out of here or I’m not coming back.’

Last edited:
Patriots have restructured starting right tackle Marcus Cannon contract and freeing up 2.5 million dollars. Cap space now should be about 12-13 million.

Just enough to pay Trent Williams.
Nope. His 2019 base is 11 and he's gonna want more than 2.5
Prob double that. Texans can do that. So can Patriots with further adjustments but I'm thinking BB will go with what he has. Of course I have been wrong before.

NE will send in Caserio to negotiate w/ Williams and Caserio will covertly fly in Easterby under the guise that Easterby left his ring in the bathroom at the ring ceremony and they'll whisper in his ear that NE is a sinking ship and everyone is leaving for the next NE (Texans) where they'll personally make sure he gets the finest treatment available from an NFL medical staff. And in the end we'll learn that BOB masterminded the whole thing (but he'll never get credit for it). I think that's what's going to happen.

Providing all info I can find on Trent Williams about 1/2 way down:

https://nflspinzone.com/2019/07/27/cleveland-browns-free-agent-defensive-tackles-pursue/

And, per a report from Jason La Canfora, the big lineman’s relationship with the team is irreparable.

Language like that seems to lend itself to the notion that Williams could be on his way out of Washington sooner rather than later. And if they are motivated to move him, the Browns should be more than willing to oblige them.

Even better for Cleveland is the fact that, at this point, it seems that the Redskins have little to no leverage in regards to Williams. If he truly is just done with the organization, then Washington will have to be in a position to take what they can get in a potential trade. That means the Browns could get a new franchise left tackle for pennies on the dollar, which would be ideal — at least until they sign him to a new deal.

Jalen Ramsey cornerback Jaguars showing up to training camp last week in an armored money truck indicates to me he still wants Mucho Dinero. Will he get it? Not anytime soon from Jacksonville. All he can continue to do is make himself a nuisance and Jags owner does not like that. If Texans complete trade for Trent Williams, I think we will see more antics from Mr Ramsey. Seeing Texans stepping up for Jonathan Joseph this week and giving a healthy New Deal to Trent Williams would make Ramsey salivate. Perhaps Patrick Peterson would become vocal again also.

https://clutchpoints.com/jaguars-ne...jacksonville-will-have-to-trade-jalen-ramsey/
I know everyone thinks I'm crazy to push Jalen Ramsey but many said the same thing about Trent Williams absolutely unavailable. Here is an article about Jags needing to signed defensive player to new contract. That would push salary cap and encourage Ramsey to go elsewhere. Ngakoue had more sacks over the last three years than did Flowers.

https://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonvi...ion-haunts-jaguars-in-yannick-ngakoue-holdout

Why I believe Jalen Ramsey could become available:

1. Jags will soon have $18 m in cap space as dead money from Telvin Smith {$9 m} drops off. That may resolve the issue of extending first contract DE Yannick Ngakoue but in and of itself will make Ramsey go ballistic if team cannot satisfy Jalen's desire for huge re-work of his last two seasons. Yannick at 24 YOA is in final year at $2 m and has to be salivating at recent contracts completed + knowing Clowney wants in that range. Jags appear to be willing to deal with a volcano in Ramsey when it comes and IMO it will. Yannick in his first three seasons compared to others signed:

Yannick 29.5 sacks $2 m in 2019 25 YOA Dee Ford 25 sacks $17 m and 25 YOA Flowers 25 sacks $18 m. It's possible that a new contract will keep Yannick's 2019 cap at $2 m but spread a huge signing bonus over the second year and remainder of a new deal. That is risky as it pushes GTD $ forward into future allowing more chance of injury or productivity drop off. I strongly think Jags bring the bucks now and hope (incorrectly) they will force Jalen to grumble but play. *Note Yannick has until August 9th IIRC to agree or lose his UFA status and not accrue his 4th year NFL eligibility for pension as I understand. We should see movement sooner than later which is good for Texans.

2. Ramsey has been dissatisfied with payment for his productivity for a while and sees others voicing their discontent and getting paid. He wants some. 2017 first season he was all pro with 63 tackles, 4 INTs, 17 Pdef
last year he had 65 tackles, 3 INTs and 13 Pdef in an alleged 'off year' that resulted in pro-bowl. He wants to play with Hopkins and has see the recent cash flowing into J Joseph's hands quicker by Texans. He has to know Texans are sitting on $41 million cap and he has to be drooling on that. CAL can put him in the elite range of corners and still have $ to use.

Dolphins Xavien Howard 2018: 35 Ts, 7 INTs 12 PDef just signed 5 yr $75 m 46 GTD over all 27 GTD at signing
Jags Bouye 2019 cap $15.5 m so why not Ramsey who wants it now (T WIll).

Jalen Ramsey 2019 base $3.6 m and cap $7.5

Summary: Jags don't want to trade especially to Houston but as we have seen that doesn't always work out. Trent Williams if he comes to Houston will only encourage Ramsey to voice his displeasure as most said impossible for Washington to move him. We now know Washington seems to be shopping the once unshoppable LT. Texans have the cap space, need and trade bait to utilyze.

See above, DE Yannick has reported in to avoid becoming RFA. If that had occurred, the Jags could have received a first-round pick if another team made him an offer. I still expect him to receive a huge contract. Next I expect Jalen Ramsey to erupt. All of this is good for the Texans. Jags do have at least two good young prospects waiting in wings at corner.

Hey Badboy your thoughts on Ramsey are very interesting, and he's a tremendous CB. Wow how great would it be if he were here in Houston !
OK so unlike T.Williams, Ramsey is one player who's absolutely worth a first round pick.

Hey Badboy your thoughts on Ramsey are very interesting, and he's a tremendous CB. Wow how great would it be if he were here in Houston !
OK so unlike T.Williams, Ramsey is one player who's absolutely worth a first round pick.
although every Source I have reviewed that discussed Ramsey possibly being traded listed only a first round pick, I would include Lonnie Johnson our 2019 second round pick and go up to include 2020 and 2021 first rounders. So Johnson now and two Firsts in future. Jags absolutely do not want to trade Ramsey but it looks like it may come down to money and lots of it which they do not have. 18 million dollars Cap now but in 2020 they are in the red 8 million dollars. That's before any increase to Yannick.

New England seems to have taken themselves out of the race for Trent Williams if there is one. Their 8 million-dollar cap space was eaten up earlier today with a two-year extension to Tom Brady. 2019 sees Brady getting a 7 million dollar signing bonus plus a $1 m roster bonus that I believe becomes his on the third day of the 2019 season. The Patriots now have to trade players with comparable money to bring in Williams at what he wants.

If the Texans could sign Trent Williams it would sew up the LT position for this and the 2020 seasons. They could then put an offer out to the Jags for Ramsey since LT will not be an immediate issue. I agree with badboy that getting Ramsey would make the secondary pretty special and adding Williams to the OL could make Watson and the offense much more special.

The Patriots now have to trade players with comparable money to bring in Williams at what he wants.

Cost of Trent Williams is what it is. The remainder of his contract stays intact. It would be a surprise to the new team if he is traded, then demands more money.

Cost of Trent Williams is what it is. The remainder of his contract stays intact. It would be a surprise to the new team if he is traded, then demands more money.
I disagree. Any team trading for Trent Williams should expect to have to come up with more money to avoid him sitting out. This is to the Texans Advantage as they do have the cap space where other teams do not. An extension like Tom Brady's today is exactly what I expect from Texans. Not the 70 m but a signing bonus and perhaps roster bonus. TW could pocket almost immediately. A 4 year extension to spread bonus over perhaps 19 and 20 base GTD but may not have to do that.

The 31-year-old Williams is due $23.5MM in base salary over the next two seasons, but given that he wants a new deal from Washington, any club that acquires Williams will likely need to increase that figure. Williams’ $13.2MM average annual value currently ranks seventh among left tackles behind Taylor Lewan, Nate Solder, Jake Matthews, Joe Staley, Donovan Smith, and Russell Okung. From profootballrumors.com

Last edited:
The 31-year-old Williams is due $23.5MM in base salary over the next two seasons, but given that he wants a new deal from Washington, any club that acquires Williams will likely need to increase that figure. Williams’ $13.2MM average annual value currently ranks seventh among left tackles behind Taylor Lewan, Nate Solder, Jake Matthews, Joe Staley, Donovan Smith, and Russell Okung.
If the Texans could sign Trent Williams it would sew up the LT position for this and the 2020 seasons. They could then put an offer out to the Jags for Ramsey since LT will not be an immediate issue. I agree with badboy that getting Ramsey would make the secondary pretty special and adding Williams to the OL could make Watson and the offense much more special.
What other NFL players in similar situations are observing all this? We know Patrick Peterson is. Just a thought.

The 31-year-old Williams is due $23.5MM in base salary over the next two seasons, but given that he wants a new deal from Washington, any club that acquires Williams will likely need to increase that figure. Williams’ $13.2MM average annual value currently ranks seventh among left tackles behind Taylor Lewan, Nate Solder, Jake Matthews, Joe Staley, Donovan Smith, and Russell Okung.

What other NFL players in similar situations are observing all this? We know Patrick Peterson is. Just a thought.

They definitely have the cap room to make these 2 moves that would give them a chance to be a true contender this season.

But it's going to cost $$$$ so you know it's not going to happen.

Using Ian Rapoport, Jason at over the cap, NFL.com and ESPN I have gleaned the following for Tom Brady's extension which turns out to be no extension at all . . Follow me as it's very complicated. First of all the two-year extension of 70 million dollars automatically voids the last day of the 2019 League year. That is correct and apparently is the same type of contract that Drew Brees has. Sole purpose of this was to give New England more 2019 cap space as we all expected. Important to note that as soon as the league year ends Tom Brady immediately becomes a free agent for 2020. The benefit is the two extended years even though voiding are allowed to be used for spreading money of signing bonus.

Jason of the website over the Cap. Com estimated Brady would receive a 20.25 million dollar signing bonus to be spread over the three years.

Since Jason posted that, Ian Rapoport has estimated a little bit higher going from 2019 base of 15 million to 23 million approximately. That gives Brady an $ 8 million immediate raise and allows the 23 million to be spread over 2019 and the two voidable years of 2020 and 2021. The original 2019 cap space of 9 million dollars has increased by approximately 8 million leaving a new cap space of about 17 million dollars. This appears to be the money to use for Trent Williams.

Note 2019 and 2020 the Texans still have more cap space each year than do the Patriots. Also note that the base salary for T Will 2019 is $11 m and PATS using all $17 m of new cap I post above can only increase his Base by six million dollars.

What if the Texans were to offer Williams a Trent Brown type contract? Although significantly older, Williams has seven straight Pro Bowl seasons and should be at least in the running for two more. Let's look at Brown's 66 million-dollar contract four years with 36 million GTD. 2019 is 15 million dollars guaranteed. 2020 is $21.25 GTD. The remaining two years are not guaranteed and can be voided.

What if we reversed those two for TWilliams? Give him 21.25 m 2019 and 15 m GTD 2020? From his current $11m he'd get a $10.25 m raise compared to 6 by NE. Imo, Williams is less a risk than Trent Brown. Would he give up a possible SB ring to gain an extra 4 million dollars? That type of deal would still leave 2019 cap space of 21 million dollars. Jalen Ramsey would be counting...
In addition, contract clause could read if Williams is a pro bowler in 2020, his 2021 year is GTD. Same if he repeats as pro bowler 2021. Brown's non GTD last two are $15 and $13.75. The only outrageous year would be the 21 million which is front loaded like most recent contracts but blows up NE offer.

2019 $21.25 2020 15 2021 15 m and 2022 $13.25 m

Last edited:
"would probably be either here (Titans) or Vegas (Raiders),” Ramsey said on podcast appearance with Tennessee Titans left tackle Taylor Lewan.

It’s not surprising that Ramsey would be so frank in discussions with a division rival. He’s obviously upset with the way Jacksonville had handled his contract dispute.

A former top-five pick of the Jaguars, Ramsey has recorded 44 passes defended and nine interceptions in three career seasons." Sportsnaught.com

Continues to put pressure on Jags

Reactions: Max
Hoping the next four weeks will show some cuts from the other 31 teams that could benefit Houston. If you have any possibilities of players you think could be surprising cuts from those teams please post. I heard today the Texans would still like to add another corner possible trade.

Hoping the next four weeks will show some cuts from the other 31 teams that could benefit Houston. If you have any possibilities of players you think could be surprising cuts from those teams please post. I heard today the Texans would still like to add another corner possible trade.
I think Texans will likely target CB, RB, T and pass rusher.
I will be pissed if they don't make at least a couple of moves.
The only reason I would forgive them is if the guys they keep vindicate their decision.

latest

I think Texans will likely target CB, RB, T and pass rusher.
I will be pissed if they don't make at least a couple of moves.
The only reason I would forgive them is if the guys they keep vindicate their decision.
A decent RB is a nice addition.
Let's keep it rolling.
I would also add kick/punt returner to my wish list. If we lose one of the ones we have now, it could be disastrous.

My plan:

#1 Twilliams: We trade our 2020 remaining third +our 2021 second which is the DBrown deal with Washington keeping their 5th. We still have our first and second round 2020.

#2 We trade Clowney to Raiders for OLB Maxx Crosby whom I mocked pre draft. We also get Raiders two 2020 firsts. Their own is projected from 6th to 10th without JD and with him (it depends on Raiders thinking he makes them better) dropping that selection lower. Their second via Chicago projected 25th. Results we have three firsts.

Now we have TWill whom we offer an extra $10 m in 2019 only to discourage PATs and other offers if any. He has his current two year deal also extended four years making him a just turned 36 in last non GTD year. I believe I have posted a suggested package for him similar to Trent Brown's elsewhere. He would earn his current base $10.9 + our extra $10 for $21 million. Leaving us $17 million space plus CLowney's $16 m= $27 m.

#3 We now have Raiders 1. 10 or a bit lower our own 1.? and Raiders (Bears) 1.25; offer 1.25 plus our 2021 first round plus CB Lonnie Johnson to Jags for Ramsey. Jags then have DJ Hayden, Lonnie Johnson and Tre Herndon to play opposite Bouye. They also have their own 2020 first plus the Raider/Bears first to select from several available good corners. They can extend DE Yannick Ngakouye without listening to Ramsey for two more seasons. They also have two firsts now in 2021.

We can offer Ramsey his choice of top five deals for example Josh Norman's deal in 2016 per OTC ** NOTE Norman's first contract year was base $5 million + 3 year prorated bonus to count only $8 million against salary cap. Ramsey's current 2019 base is $3.6. IOWs he would go to $5 m & have a $15 m signing bonus in hand with a cap hit of $8 m. Texans at $27 [post Clowney and after including Williams] - $8 m Ramsey = $19 million remaining cap.

Summary: we have LT Trent Williams 7 time pro bowler locked for 6 more seasons. We have Jalen Ramsey one year ALL PRO plus a second year pro bowler to play opposite Joseph moving Roby to Slot plus keeping others fresh. We have OLB Crosby whom I think could start sometime 2019 opposite Watt. We have Raiders first which should be 16 or higher plus our own which you have at 15 and I think will be closer to 28 with these two additions. We are now the go to place for players. We still have $19 million cap. We are in win now and win future mode.
I posted this in Clowney trade thread but easier for me to find and refer to here.

If JD was about a SB ring he would remain here and eat up 3 years of tags with about $60 million. I think Texans would actually guarantee that and add a small signing bonus say 12 million. $72 m for three seasons at 24 each and will not turn 29 until the following February leaving him still young for another deal if as healthy as he seems to think he is.. No way will OBrien trade him to NE or Indy.

I want to deal CLowney to Raiders but here is another realistic trade.

Washington #6 (projected) and Houston #25 (my projected with Williams) swap firsts 2020.
Washington gets Clowney and now has #25.
Houston gets LT Trent Williams and center Ross Pierschbacher (2019 5th round)= D.Brown to Seattle and now has #6.

Both players get huge increases. Both in prime but JD entering and TWilliam on peak. So advantage Washington which is addressed with swap of firsts. Both have injury histories and while JD is more severe he has missed 6 games for last four years and only 3 in last three years. Advantage tied [again considering age). Both play very important positions and LT is more important than pass rusher over all yet JD's role in Washington will be greater than it is on Texan (tied). He will be the man rather than #2 after you know who.

Oakland Raiders game top of the third quarter, announcer compliments Raiders interior defensive line then says they still need to find a D3 guy. I reply come on down to Houston Town. We have one just waiting for you!

OLB Adiniye preseason star for Steelers has surgery for unspecified injuries. Return to field unknown.

Has anyone thought if LT Johnson LG Howard C Fulton RG Scharpie and RT Henderson turn out able to protect Watson to a significant level? I think we are set at WR/TEs and perhaps RB depending on Duke Johnson, Howell and Crockett. I am ok with safeties but wish our corners were better; of course Lonnie Johnson could work out which would be huge. If this happens, interesting to see your ideas on draft picks for 2020.

Buffalo has 25 million cap space this year which easily absorbs the 16 from Clowney. Clowney, Henderson and Kalil for left tackle Dion Dawkins and RT Cody Ford? Both players were second round picks and JD would be the guy on the defense. Bills desperately need him.Boetteger could probably hold down left tackle with Conor McDermott on the right side. I could see Clowney refusing trade if he wants shot at ring and not just cash. Trade would make for great trivia question.

What NFL team lost 1.1 dline/lb players to same team for crazy money?

Buffalo has 25 million cap space this year which easily absorbs the 16 from Clowney. Clowney, Henderson and Kalil for left tackle Dion Dawkins and RT Cody Ford? Both players were second round picks and JD would be the guy on the defense. Bills desperately need him.Boetteger could probably hold down left tackle with Conor McDermott on the right side. I could see Clowney refusing trade if he wants shot at ring and not just cash. Trade would make for great trivia question.

What NFL team lost 1.1 dline/lb players to same team for crazy money?

Another line of thought in a potential Texans / Redskins deal......include a third team that would have a far bigger need for Clowney. That team would have to have the right asset(s) or picks going to the Skins.

I'm going to look at the options and see if there would be any true potential to include a third team in landing LT, Williams.

Last edited:
Back