Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

BADBOY's 2019 offseason FA, trade possibilities and draft thoughts

I can't help but wonder if the new GM will go hard after Trent Williams? If possibility of McNairs being upset with lack of big time success in off season, I would think TW's situation would be like blood and chum for CAL. I still think we could get him for our two thirds and our second should be offered to Cards for Peterson. PP is worth more but the 6 game suspension, his request for trade (I disregard his apology to fans) plus CB Byron Murphy #33 may get him for that. Either of these moves let alone both would definitely change grade of this offseason to an A.

Caserio is out of the picture but it didn't cost us a draft pick as I expected it would. So I'm taking good news where I can find it and moving on. Just hope I don't wake up in the morning and hear about them going for the other New England guy that has been mentioned. My biggest regret I wanted to see some movement on trades that I want to happen. Peterson, Trent Williams and I'm interested in Doug Johnson if he's available for a late round pick. I also heard today that Jalen Ramsey is making sounds again that he wants out of town. Sure I am dreaming but a first-round 2019 and first-round 2020 for Jalen Ramsey. Our second round pick for Trent Williams. Our own third for P. Peterson due to his six-game suspension and our 5th round pick for Douglas Johnson would be a great off season and leave us with at least one third round comp and a 4th. If we can get any or all for less would be just chocolate syrup for my vanilla ice cream.

Texans avoided a dart but that's not the problem. The Texans look like a ship without a rudder. I think Cal isn't sure of what he should be doing as the owner and therefore is leaning on his senior staff member, OB. This is proving to be a big mistake b/c it now seems the team is fine with OB trying to impersonate Beli. OB is a mess b/c he not a top coach, talent evaluator and now we'll get to add GM to the list.

Cal needs a advisor who he gives enough power to......to wield the team axe and pen. Oh, OB's arse would be the first to go. This team needs a solid young GM with a true vision and a HC who can see the same vision and draw up the plans on how to make it happen. If Cal was the one making the choices it could be another 5-8 year cluster duck. Hire an advisor and let him put this organization back on the right track.

My two cents: in regards to trading for players only I don't think we need a general manager for that. Head coach should be able to identify positions needed and gives okay for players to fill that position. O'Brien understands the value of draft picks. For example, he should be able to tell easterby " I want Trent Williams and am willing to give a second round pick in 2020 for him. If you can get him for less perfect". Easterby calls teams and negotiates a deal. If a renewed contract or extension is required, O'Brien and easterby goes to Cal. We need to have some movement on bringing in 2 to 3 more veterans. At least pick up the phone and call teams that have players that might be movable.

Listening to 610 this morning (June 18) as John Lopez grilled John McClain over who had authority and input. McClain kept saying O'Brien gives input as to which players he wants, drafted or otherwise on the roster. McClain repeatedly said O'Brien has no input into contracts or salaries or extensions for players. Lopez repeatedly tried to get McClain to agree with him that O'Brien was sole authority and Easterby [as had Gaine] did only what H.C. told him to. When McClain said "I don't think I am right. I know I am right." Lopez played a recording of McClain some days ago allegedly saying something that supported Lopez' opinion. John McClain explained calmly what he had said and the meaning. I understood McClain and it was obvious {to me} that Lopez was pushing his own agenda. After leaving my car for an hour then returning to same program, John Lopez with his sidekick egging him on continued that no way did O'Brien not have 100 % control over everything football related and reported only to Cal McNair. Lopez wanted to have his opinion but put down what he did not want to hear.

I think I and many others do the same as Lopez when posting especially about sports. I was not huge fan of Gaine but I think I have given good reasons for my opinion rather than just voicing "He's an idiot" or worse. Same with HC O'Brien. I have wanted him gone for at least three years but don't call him names. When I offer reasons or contract proposals to FA or trade proposals for the draft or for veterans, I try to give what seems to me to be logical and possible if maybe not probable scenarios for discussion. I also try not to reply to anyone with comments like "no way, your insane, fantasy land" etc. At least I think this is true of my posting.

After listening to John Lopez go on and on repeating his opinion yet not allowing McClain to have his without Lopez' negative comments, I'm going to re-evaluate what I say on TT message board. I am encouraging you to do same. I know radio guys like TV 'personalities' need an audience and some say anything to get ratings bump. This post is not about credit ability or like ability. If someone says something I disagree with, we should be able to discuss or ignore.

Whomever is in charge of the Texans needs to make an impact move to recover from the move of firing the GM and the resulting egg on the face. Apparently there will be no GM hired. IMO, only a trade for a very significant player to upgrade the roster will change fan opinion. I do not care who gets the credit. This kind of move would not take the bad taste out of my mouth but it would improve my view the Texans have a forward thinking plan. A LTD with Clowney would do nothing to change my POV. Unfortunately, what we see is what I think we're going to get.

Until a final decision is reached with Clowney I will continue to post trades.
Raiders get Clowney, L. Miller and Foreman.

Raiders really need Clowney to pair with 2019 1.4 pass rusher Clellin Ferrell and moves Arden Keys to lesser role where he should excell. Miller in his final contract year should have a 20 18 type season which would give the Raiders their starting back. Foreman with Houston or Raiders is a? But could become very good. To get Clowney, Raiders should take this package.

Texans get 1.24 (740) RB Josh Jacobs + 4.106 (82) OLB Maxx Crosby + 4.129 (43) CB Isaiah Johnson. In addition, Houston gets late first round Raiders got in Mack trade. This 2020 pick would apprx equal a 2019 second round of 335 points or grand total of 1200. Most fans seemed opened to a late first and a mid-high round 2 for Clowney. I think a high 4th for a 900 yard RB is reasonable and a late 4th for a hopefully healthy Foreman is reasonable. I would be banking on the Raiders wanting Clowney.

Crosby is no Clowney but he doesn't have to be. Anybody playing across from JJ Watt should be just fine.

Tremt Williams?

The Texans dont even have a GM, you really think they're going to trade for Williams?
You need a GM to tell you Williams is a great player at a priority position with a reasonable contract in his prime? Or a GM to tell you he is worth a first round. Or a GM to pick up telephone and call Washington and say what you want for him? It is not that simple but it isn't as hard as you indicate either.

You need a GM to tell you Williams is a great player at a priority position with a reasonable contract in his prime? Or a GM to tell you he is worth a first round. Or a GM to pick up telephone and call Washington and say what you want for him? It is not that simple but it isn't as hard as you indicate either.

If it's as simple as that why even bother having a GM?

Again, the biggest question would be......does OB view his LT situation as being sound? Does Davenport, Howard and Khalil let him breath easy knowing Watson's in good hands? Does Devlin have the coaching chops to coach his 3 LT's up and make them better? Answers to these 3 questions may or may not determine if OB and his coaches get a 2020 season.

Again, the biggest question would be......does OB view his LT situation as being sound? Does Davenport, Howard and Khalil let him breath easy knowing Watson's in good hands? Does Devlin have the coaching chops to coach his 3 LT's up and make them better? Answers to these 3 questions may or may not determine if OB and his coaches get a 2020 season.
I get your point however anytime a team can get a prime player like T. Williams at a very reasonable price the trade should be made. In my opinion there's no downside to getting him and he would instantly turn your o. line into a much stronger corps. That one move allows players like Howard and Scharping to adjust to NFL with minimal pressure. I continue to be a strong proponent of Davenport. Williams also eliminates the need for Devlin to be a better coach. Few players can make this team tremendously better. Williams is one of those.

I get your point however anytime a team can get a prime player like T. Williams at a very reasonable price the trade should be made. In my opinion there's no downside to getting him and he would instantly turn your o. line into a much stronger corps. That one move allows players like Howard and Scharping to adjust to NFL with minimal pressure. I continue to be a strong proponent of Davenport. Williams also eliminates the need for Devlin to be a better coach. Few players can make this team tremendously better. Williams is one of those.

I'm not breathing easy on any of the LT options, I'd make the call asap in regards to Williams. I'd ship them Khalil and a pick if that would initiate a conversation.

Two trades I would like to see and think are achievable as both sides should agree.

1. Whitney Mercilus to NY Giants- Texans get CB 1.30 Deandre Baker (Deandre guarding Deandre in practise) + OLB Oshane Ximines 3.96 + ILB Ryan Connelly 5.143

CB Deandre Baker 5'11" 193 I didn't have him rated as high as most others and I am wary of U. of Georgia players but on paper could be a tremendous player. There was mention that he didn't interview well but on tape looked good. Graded 5.94 but only 4.52 40 U.
senior season that saw him earn first-team Associated Press All-American honors and win the Jim Thorpe Award as the nation's best defensive back. Baker was also a first-team All-SEC pick, starting 13 games and recording 40 tackles, two interceptions and a team-high 10 pass breakups.
responded well to coaching and progressed annually.

DE Ximines 6'3+ and 253 arms 33 grade 5.68, vert 34 225x24 https://www.nfl.com/prospects/oshane-ximines?id=32195849-4d30-8281-ff5a-2f0f08abb7f2

My view: would be a sooner rather than a later replacement for Clowney's production. Initially needs to play outside tackle as he strengthens and adapts to NFL. Could become a "force" on the field.

ILB Ryan Connelly
He forced four fumbles as a junior, which tied for second-most in the FBS. He ranked in the top 10 nationally in that category again in 2018, forcing four additional fumbles, while also finishing among the top players in the FBS with 18.5 tackles for loss and 12 sacks. The first-team all-conference selection started all 12 games as a senior.

Trade 2

Clowney to Raiders with L. Miller and D'onte Foreman

Texans get 1.24 RB Josh Jacobs and both 2020 firsts.

Why Raiders do deal? Clellin Ferrell is good but no one had him going 1.4. He will need time and Clowney would be the face of the defense. JD will love that and being Batman rather than Robin to JJ Watt. Raiders have to improve on getting to passer even if it includes disruption rather than an actual sack. JD will provide that and being "the" guy his sack total will increase significantly. Jacobs is going to be a very good RB but Raiders need that less than what JD brings. Also, if I am Mayock, I want Miller who should again get his thousand on ground and some passing yardage. He could have a very good year in a new place and it is his "contract" year. If he doesn't, he's gone and could bring a lower comp. Foreman if healthy could bring back his senior year & is worth a "throw in" gamble. Raiders hope their fortunes change and their own first will be much further down the pick list than in 2019. Bears will take another step forward and their first now owned by Raiders should be in tail end of round one. 2020 picks would be similar to 2019 second round picks; so a first from 2019 and two "seconds" for three players two should start.

Texans: see potential in Josh Jacobs who could be a game changer IMO. I liked Damien Harris better but Jacobs is going to be real deal. You get a now guy to impact your team plus having three firsts in 2020 regardless when could bring the best draft ever. Win win both teams.

Trade 2

Clowney to Raiders with L. Miller and D'onte Foreman

Texans get 1.24 RB Josh Jacobs and both 2020 firsts.

Why Raiders do deal? Clellin Ferrell is good but no one had him going 1.4. He will need time and Clowney would be the face of the defense. JD will love that and being Batman rather than Robin to JJ Watt. Raiders have to improve on getting to passer even if it includes disruption rather than an actual sack. JD will provide that and being "the" guy his sack total will increase significantly. Jacobs is going to be a very good RB but Raiders need that less than what JD brings. Also, if I am Mayock, I want Miller who should again get his thousand on ground and some passing yardage. He could have a very good year in a new place and it is his "contract" year. If he doesn't, he's gone and could bring a lower comp. Foreman if healthy could bring back his senior year & is worth a "throw in" gamble. Raiders hope their fortunes change and their own first will be much further down the pick list than in 2019. Bears will take another step forward and their first now owned by Raiders should be in tail end of round one. 2020 picks would be similar to 2019 second round picks; so a first from 2019 and two "seconds" for three players two should start.

Texans: see potential in Josh Jacobs who could be a game changer IMO. I liked Damien Harris better but Jacobs is going to be real deal. You get a now guy to impact your team plus having three firsts in 2020 regardless when could bring the best draft ever. Win win both teams.

Good with Deal #1 but this deal is not what I'd like to see even though I like the premises of the deal. I would ship Clowney to the Raiders faster than the ink could dry if they're giving the Texans a RD1 and maybe a RD3. I'd keep Miller and Foreman this season since there's no guarantee Jacobs will make the leap.

Having two RD1's, a RD2 and two RD3's in 2020 would allow the Texans to address three positions if needed; LT, EDGE, RB.

No team will ever trade away the rookie they just drafted.

2 pointless scenarios.

I have a logical one, though..

We trade a 7th round pick to the Chiefs for Pat Mahomes.

2 pointless scenarios.

I think you're missing the point of the exercise. It would be more appropriate to say we will trade Clowney to the Chiefs for a 7th rd pick. But you'll upset the Clowney fans. So we'll say Clowney to the Chiefs for a 7th & Mahomes.

Good with Deal #1 but this deal is not what I'd like to see even though I like the premises of the deal. I would ship Clowney to the Raiders faster than the ink could dry if they're giving the Texans a RD1 and maybe a RD3. I'd keep Miller and Foreman this season since there's no guarantee Jacobs will make the leap.

Having two RD1's, a RD2 and two RD3's in 2020 would allow the Texans to address three positions if needed; LT, EDGE, RB.
just my opinion but we have to have a impact player now if we're to trade Clowney. JD is just too valuable for us 2019. A 1st and 3rd in 2020 is like getting a second and a 4th this past draft. No way I do that deal. Raiders desperately need to established pass rush. Clowney would do that. We have to use that to get a huge grab.

2 pointless scenarios.

You just showed your lack of understanding of the Raiders defense. Oakland reached to improve that side of the ball pick 4. Ferrell would have been there much later in the first round. Mayock could have and should have traded down and got the same player and additional picks. Many thought Josh Jacobs would be available in the second round when Raiders selected. When training camp begins Gruden will see that Ferrell needs time to be a starter as their roster stands now. Clowney changes that.

As I posted in another thread I would prefer to get Trent Washington who has shown no interest in reporting to TC for picks rather than players. I offered example of the Duane Brown trade with Seattle getting LT Brown and our 2018 5th. We got their third and a second following draft. I like that deal in that we get Williams and a 2020 5th. Washington gets our 3rd (leaving us a probable comp that round) and our 2021 second round.

I would prefer not to use Clowney to get Williams; either keep him on tag or trade him to a different team preferably Raiders.

Washington vet middle linebacker Mason Foster was just cut 4 salary purposes. Team saves just over four million dollars cap space. Foster who just turned 30 on March 1st seems to have been a successful starter; 131 tackles; 1 sack; 2 Int; 4 passes deflected. Team appears to be going with younger players. I'd be interested in picking this guy up. As a backup his career could be extended and MLB positions would definitely be strengthened.

Titans LT Tackle Taylor Lewan facing 4 game suspension if his B test returns positive as A test did.

Washington continues to have problems not only with left tackle Trent Williams but also starting Right Guard Brandon scherff. Scherff in his fifth year option of 12.5 million and
wants huge contract. Washington has less than 12 million cap space.

I suggest offering Clowney and Fulton for Trent Williams, Scherff and backup center in 2019 round 5 Ross Pierschbasher. The Alabama player started 42 games at left guard before switching to Center in 2018.

Washington would start at left tackle Geron Christian and Fulton at Right Guard.

Although not my first choice, this trade would be acceptable to me.

Washington continues to have problems not only with left tackle Trent Williams but also starting Right Guard Brandon scherff. Scherff in his fifth year option of 12.5 million and
wants huge contract. Washington has less than 12 million cap space.

I suggest offering Clowney and Fulton for Trent Williams, Scherff and backup center in 2019 round 5 Ross Pierschbasher. The Alabama player started 42 games at left guard before switching to Center in 2018.

Washington would start at left tackle Geron Christian and Fulton at Right Guard.

Although not my first choice, this trade would be acceptable to me.

Clowney has some value but I don't see the Redskins giving up 3 OL for Fulton and Clowney who will make his mark on the defensive side of the ball. Redskins OL depth would take a major hit this season.

Clowney has some value but I don't see the Redskins giving up 3 OL for Fulton and Clowney who will make his mark on the defensive side of the ball. Redskins OL depth would take a major hit this season.
I think it's all about need of a team and ability to pay. The linemen are dropping like flies on to poop. So Clowney has greater worth than Many think in my opinion. The center I mentioned backup 2019 at this point. In my opinion he could be a starter as soon as this season. Backup easier to move. Fulton is better than average and is versatile which for the Redskins would be very good news. He is also under contract for three more seasons at a reasonable cost good for their cap space.

And defensive linemen go down! [QUOTE

By the time the Detroit Lions finished their fourth practice of training camp Sunday, just four of the 14 defensive linemen on their roster were still on the field.

Second-year defensive tackle Da'Shawn Hand suffered a left arm injury on the first play of the first period of practice Sunday.

Hand, who finished last season on injured reserve with a sprained MCL in his right knee, was taking part in a four-on-three rush drill, where three interior offensive linemen block four defensive players, when he grabbed at his left elbow area.

He walked off the field shaking his arm and was immediately visited by a Lions trainer and what appeared to be Lions coach Matt Patricia's chief of staff, Kevin Anderson, before heading to the locker room.

While there was no immediate word on Hand's condition, his loss for any length of time would be a blow to a team that has the makings of one of the NFL's best defensive lines but is currently ravaged by injuries.

Prized free-agent addition Trey Flowers is on the physically unable to perform list after undergoing offseason shoulder surgery, defensive tackles Damon Harrison and Darius Kilgo are on the non-football injury list, and newly-acquired tackle Mike Daniels did not practice Sunday as he gets up to speed with his new team.
[/QUOTE]https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...oit-lions-defensive-line-injuries/1851676001/

Now we've got a situation like the Texans & DB76.
Exactly! I could be reading tea leaves all wrong but the TW situation and the many injured D line should be making other teams rethink the Clowney possibilities. It was rumored that Lions offered #8 for JD. They ended up selecting TE and second round LB Jahlani Tavai a projected NFL MLB backup if lucky.

Edit to clarify the TW and Clowney are different situations.

Last edited:
and more info from couple days ago:
Trade Trent Williams? Those words would have been unthinkable 6 months ago. Trent has been one of the team’s cornerstones since being drafted in the first round in 2010. Seven-time Pro Bowler, mentor, bulwark of the offensive line. Most of us hoped that after his current contract was up, after the 2020 season, he would either retire a Redskin, or be signed to a short term extension and eventually do so. Alas, things have taken a dark turn....
The reality was always that we were very close to needing to think about Trent’s future replacement....

In 2018, the Redskins drafted Geron Christian in the 3rd round, leading to speculation by some that he might be Trent’s eventual replacement...
Two more years on Trent’s contract appeared to give us time to continue to groom Christian and/or draft an additional replacement in 2020 or 2021. That horizon has been prematurely shortened...

The Redskins currently have Donald Penn, formerly of the Oakland Raiders, in camp for a work out. Penn is a three time Pro Bowler - most recently in 2017 - when he was also the tackle with the second best run block percentage in the league, but was moved to right tackle in 2018, and suffered a season ending groin injury four games into the year. There’s also been speculation that Penn wasn’t completely comfortable at RT and would much prefer to play LT...

Trent’s pay has slipped relative to his peers, but renegotiating the terms of his contract - beyond perhaps guaranteeing the last two remaining years - would set a miserable precedent for the team, and lay the foundation for similar moves by other top players.
Article trade also mentions the D Brown trade I've discussed. *Note on article poll 61 % voted trade him. https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/7/26/8931817/its-time-to-trade-trent-williams-redskins-nfl

Back